Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
TEAC Reference Series CR-H500NT
AM/FM/CD/Internet-Radio receiver with built-in Wi-Fi®
Item # 063CRH500 | MFR # CR-H500NT
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the TEAC Reference Series CR-H500NT by Crutchfield's Marshall Chase
It's not just radio — it's Internet radio
At first glance, you can tell that the TEAC CR-H500NT is not a common stereo receiver.Yes, the 'H500NT has excellent standard AM and FM radio reception. But this receiver can get stations and programs from all over the world with crystal clear sound quality. Just plug in to your home network, or use the built-in Wi-FI® capability if your network is wireless, and begin the great odyssey that is Internet radio. Plus you can stream music files from your own computer.
Enjoy discs from 20 years ago, as well as tunes you downloaded 20 minutes ago
Your iPod® plugs directly into the receiver where the 'H500NT bypasses the portable player's mediocre audio circuitry and directs the digital flow straight to a Burr-Brown® chip that will have it singing a sweeter tune. You'll get similar results spinning a CD on the built-in player or plugging a thumb drive into the front USB. The 'H500NT is ready for your turntable too, as well as anything you can plug into the front or rear auxiliary input.
Press Record and listen later or take it "to go"
Put a blank thumb drive into the 'H500NT and you're ready to record from any source available to the receiver. You never have to miss a favorite radio program or webcast again. Convert vinyl and CDs to MP3 and carry your music collection in your pocket or play your mix later.
What we heard
The CR-H500NT mastered our training room. It capably drove a pair of PSB Image B5 speakers to their full potential. Its Burr-Brown digital-to-analog converter sparkled like a jewel whether it was given music files off a flash drive, an iPod® or our Wi-Fi® connected laptop. And the built-in CD player spun music to life reminding us of the true meaning of the words "high fidelity."
My husband loves it
Beth, Charlotte, NC
What's in the Box:
- Stereo Receiver/CD Player
- 68" AC power cord
- RC-1225 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AAA" Batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM Wire antenna
- Owner's manual (English/ French/ Spanish)
- Warranty information
- Manual amendment
- 40 watts x 2 into 6 ohms (1 kHz) at 0.5% THD
- Internet-ready with Wi-Fi® wireless access to music from Internet radio stations (broadband service required)
- iPod® integration direct through USB (bypasses the player's DAC for superior sound quality)
- 60 AM/FM station presets
- 4 analog audio inputs (including phono), 1 analog output
- Ethernet port for a high-speed connection to a home network
- built-in CD player plays CDs, CD-R/RW, MP3, and WMA
- 24 bit/192kHz Burr-Brown digital-to-analog converter
- front-panel USB for flash drive playback and recording
- 1 mono RCA output for powered subwoofer
- binding post speaker connectors
- headphone mini jack
- detachable power cord
- sleep timer
- remote control
- 11-7/16"W x 4-7/16"H x 13-5/16"D
- weight: 12.4 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
TEAC Reference Series CR-H500NT Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Stereo RMS Power (watts)||40|
|THD in Stereo||0.5 %|
|Frequency Bandwidth (stereo)||1k Hz|
|FM Sensitivity||Not Given|
|Signal To Noise Ratio||91dB|
|Phono Signal to Noise Ratio||78dB|
|Wired or Wireless Network||Both|
|HD Radio Tuner||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|Total Number of Zones||1|
|Multibrand Remote Control||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Total Audio Inputs||4|
|Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Speaker Output Pairs||1|
CD Player: The CD player is compatible with 12cm and 8cm CD, CD-R, and CD-RW discs, including MP3 and WMA files.
Tuner: The AM/FM tuner can store up to 30 AM and 30 FM presets.
MP3/WMA: The CR-H500HT will play MP3 or WMA files from CD-R and CD-RW discs and USB memory devices (using the front panel USB port). Compatible USB devices include flash drives, MP3 players (no specific compatibility information available), and USB hard drives (formatted Fat 16 or Fat 32 only, not NTFS). Playback is controlled by the receiver's remote and text information or elapsed time appears on the display. MP3 files up to 320 kbps and WMA files up to 192 kbps are compatible and up to 2,000 files are recognized.
USB Recording: Audio can be recorded on a connected USB device from the tuner, CD player, or a source component connected to one of the Aux or Phono inputs.
Record Out: The Aux 1 input has a corresponding output (stereo RCA) for connecting a recording component; cassette deck, CD recorder, etc.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer turns the unit off after a delay of 10 to 90 minutes (adjustable in 10 minute increments).
Timer: The CR-H500NT has a built-in clock and daily timer, so it can be used as an alarm clock. The timer can also be used to record to a connected USB memory device.
Dimmer: The display can be dimmed if you like; it dims automatically when the sleep timer is engaged.
iPod Compatibility: The CR-H500NT is Made for iPod compliant; using a USB to iPod Dock cable plugged into the front panel USB port, music can be played directly from an iPod, bypassing the iPod's D/A converter. The iPod is controlled by the receiver and elapsed time or text (song, artist, album) appears on the display. A direct mode can also be engaged to use the controls and display on the iPod. iPod compatibility is as follows (as of November 2010):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Media Type||Control||Display||Charge|
|Audio||Video Out||Remote Control||iPod||Song Text||Track Info|
|click-wheel or color-display||4th||N||N||N||N||N||N||N|
Note: Apple iPod software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the device and your iPod to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until an newer software update is available.
Home Network Function: The CR-H500NT is equipped with an Ethernet port and wireless LAN antenna that let you connect the receiver to your home network (LAN) and to your broadband internet modem via your LAN. Once connected you can take advantage of these network functions:
- Internet Radio: Internet radio refers to radio broadcasts distributed over the internet. Stations from around the world can be received and a favorites list created for easy recall. The CR-H500NT supports MP3, WMA, and RealAudio Internet radio content and allows you to search for stations by genre, location, station or podcast name, popular stations, and new stations. You can register your favorite stations at www.wifiradio-frontier.com using a computer.
- Music Player: The music server function lets you stream audio files to the receiver from PCs in the same network; stream by Shared Media (Windows Media Player 10 or later required) or Shared Folders (available with Windows and Macintosh).
- Speakers: the speaker binding posts will accept single banana plugs, pin connectors, and bare wire; a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs and they're too far apart for dual banana plugs
- Aux 1: stereo RCA input and output jacks; used for playback and recording
- Phono: stereo RCA input jacks and a signal ground post; compatible with moving magnet phono cartridges
- Subwoofer Out: single RCA preamp output
- Power: AC input for use with included cord; polarized C-18 jack (compatible with aftermarket polarized C-17 cord)
- Antenna Inputs:
- FM: threaded F-connector
- AM: spring terminals
- Ethernet: RJ-45 port for connection to wired LAN
- W-LAN: wireless LAN antenna is attached
- Aux 2 Input: 3.5mm stereo mini-jack
- Headphone Jack: 3.5mm (1/8") headphone jack; speaker and subwoofer outputs are muted when headphones are plugged in
- USB: female type A; compatible with select iPods, flash memory, MP3 players, and hard drives
- Continuous Power: 40 watts x 2 into a 6Ω load, measured at 1 kHz with no more than 0.5% THD
- Input sensitivity
- Phono: 2.5 mV/47 kΩ
- Other: 200 mV/47 kΩ
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 60 kHz (+1/-3 dB)
- Format: MP3, WMA, and RealAudio
- Ethernet Terminal: 10 Base-T
- Wireless LAN:
- System: IEEE 802.11 b/g
- Security: WEP, WPA, WPA2
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz (+/-2 dB)
- Signal/Noise: >85 dB
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 15 kHz (+/-2 dB)
- Signal/Noise: >85 dB
- FM: 65 dB mono/60 dB stereo
- AM: 35 dB
- Power Requirement: 120V AC 60Hz
- Power Consumption: 100 watts (0.5 watts in standby)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.