Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
TEAC Reference Series DR-H338i
DVD micro component system
Item # 063DRH338I | MFR # DR-H338i
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the TEAC Reference Series DR-H338i by Crutchfield's Marshall Chase
The dimensions of TEAC's DR-H338i may be small, but don't let them fool you. This micro system packs a big-boy wallop. While 50 watts per channel may seem modest compared to some traditional home theater systems, these 50 watts are backed by a toroidal power transformer that most systems twice the size don't have. And with a half-size footprint you won't have to give up much shelf space to enjoy awesome sound with your favorite movies and music.
Great versatility in a little package
The 'H338i's capabilities aren't limited to sound. It not only plays DVDs, but it upconverts the video to 1080p and sends it out through the HDMI output. With Dolby® Virtual Speaker processing, add two speakers and a powered sub and you've got home theater. Play your favorites on CD, plug in a thumb drive, connect any player with a mini-jack, and of course, run your iPod® with the included dock. Sure, the TEAC 'H338i is compact and ideal for apartments, dorm rooms, and bedrooms. But it's a terrific main system for anyone who wants heart pumping sound not hulking hardware.
What's in the Box:
- Stereo Receiver/DVD Player
- 76" AC power cord
- RC-1240 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AAA" Batteries
- iPod dock
- 2 iPod dock adapter inserts
- 56" A/V cable (RCA stereo and composite video on both ends)
- USB Port cover (installed)
- AM loop antenna
- FM Wire antenna
- Owner's manual (English/ French/ Spanish)
- Warranty information
- 50 watts x 2 into 4 ohms (20-20kHz) at 0.70% THD
- front-loading single-DVD player
- plays DVDs, DVD+R/+RW, JPEG, DivX® CDs, audio CD-Rs and CD-RWs, MP3 & WMA CDs
- compatible with NTSC and PAL color systems
- plays Region 1 discs only
- Dolby Digital Virtual Surround Sound processing for surround-like effects from two speakers
- AM/FM stereo tuner with 40 station presets
- toroidal power supply for stable amplification
- dimmable front panel display
- one HDMI output
- HDMI version 1.2, 1080p resolution
- front-panel USB input for flash drive music playback
- iPod® dock included
- one component video output, one composite video output
- digital audio outputs: 1 optical, 1 coaxial
- minijack headphone output
- front minijack audio input for connecting portable music players
- two sets of analog stereo inputs
- one set of analog stereo outputs
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- 1 mono RCA output for optional powered subwoofer
- binding post connectors
- remote control
- 8-7/16"W x 4-5/16"H x 14-13/16"D
- weight: 9 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
TEAC Reference Series DR-H338i Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Stereo RMS Power (watts)||50|
|THD in Stereo||0.7 %|
|Frequency Bandwidth (stereo)||20-20k Hz|
|FM Sensitivity||Not Given|
|Signal To Noise Ratio||Not Given|
|Phono Signal to Noise Ratio||Not Given|
|Wired or Wireless Network||---|
|HD Radio Tuner||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|iPod Connectivity||Incl dock|
|Total Number of Zones||1|
|Multibrand Remote Control||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Total Audio Inputs||---|
|Digital Audio Inputs||---|
|Speaker Output Pairs||1|
DVD Player: The DVD player is compatible with 12cm and 8cm DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, Video CD, and SVCD discs, including MP3, WMA, JPEG, and DivX files.
HDMI Output: The resolution from the HDMI output is scalable; options include 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p (60 Hz).
Note: Because the DR-H338i is also compatible with the PAL color system, and therefore might be used with components from other parts of the world, the HDMI resolution can also be scaled to 576p, 720p (50 Hz), 1080i (50 Hz), and 1080p (50 Hz). Keep in mind the DVD player will only play region 1 DVDs.
Component Video: The component video output can be set to progressive or interlaced. When the HDMI output is used, there is no component video output.
TV Display: The aspect ratio is adjustable to match the connected TV; 4:3 Pan & Scan, 4:3 Letter Box, and 16:9.
Audio Sync: If needed the audio signal can be manually delayed to synchronize with the video signal; adjust from 0-200ms. This delay is only available for disc and USB sources.
3D Processing: The built-in processor offers several 2-channel (or 2.1-channel) sound effects for digital sources (disc and USB):
- Living Room
Dolby Virtual Speaker (DVS): DVS simulates a 5.1-channel using the DR-H338i's two speaker outputs.
Video Setting: Several video parameters can be adjusted:
- Luma Delay
Zoom: Using the zoom function the size of the picture can be changed; 2x, 3x, 4x, 1/2x, 1/3x, and 1/4x. When enlarged the picture can be moved around the screen using the cursor buttons.
Night Mode: When playing a Dolby Digital encoded DVD, Night Mode lowers the dynamic range; useful when you don't want to wake the rest of the family.
Tuner: The AM/FM tuner can store up to 20 AM and 20 FM presets.
iPod Compatibility: The DR-H338i is Made for iPod compliant and includes the necessary iPod Dock. The iPod is controlled by the receiver or remote; the controls on the iPod also remain active, as does the iPod's display (there is no display on the connected TV). iPod compatibility is as follows (as of October 2010):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video Out||Remote Control||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the device and your iPod to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until an newer software update is available.
USB: A USB flash memory device containing MP3 or WMA audio files, JPEG photo files, or DivX video files can by connected to the front panel USB port. The flash memory should be formatted as Fat 12, Fat 16, or Fat 32 only, not NTFS. The USB device is controlled by the receiver and text information and elapsed time appears on the display. The USB input is compatible with MP3 files up to 320 kbps and WMA files up to 192 kbps and will recognize up to 300 folders and 650 files on the drive.
Record Out: The Aux 1 input has a corresponding line output (stereo RCA) for connecting a recording component; cassette deck, CD recorder, etc.
Digital Outputs: There are also two digital outputs, one optical (Toslink) and one coaxial (RCA). The digital outputs are only active when playing a disc (DVD or CD) and the output can be set to All (bitstream, including multi-channel), PCM (2-channel), or Off.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer turns the unit off after a delay of 10, 20, 30, 60, or 90 minutes.
Timer: The DR-H338i has a built-in clock and daily timer, so it can be used as an alarm clock.
Dimmer: The display can be dimmed if you like, it dims automatically when the sleep timer is engaged.
- Speakers: the speaker binding posts will accept pin connectors and bare wire; a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs and they are covered and can't be used with banana plugs
- Aux 1: stereo RCA input
- Line Output: stereo RCA line output jacks
- Digital Outputs: one optical (Toslink) and one coaxial (RCA)
- Video Outputs: one HDMI, one component video, and one composite video
- Subwoofer Out: single RCA preamp output; mono, full range
- iPod: proprietary port for use with the included iPod dock
- Power: AC input for use with included cord; polarized C-8 jack (compatible with aftermarket polarized C-7 cord)
- Antenna Inputs:
- FM: F-connector; not threaded
- AM: spring terminals
- Aux 2 Input: 3.5mm stereo mini-jack
- Headphone: 3.5mm (1/8") headphone jack; speaker and subwoofer outputs are muted when headphones are plugged in
- USB: female type A; compatible with USB flash memory devices
- Continuous Power: 50 watts x 2 into a 4Ω load, measured from 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- THD: 0.7% (5 W, 1 kHz, 4Ω)
- Input sensitivity: 600 mV/47 kΩ
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz (+0/-3 dB)
- Signal/Noise: 90 dB
- System: NTSC or PAL (region 1 only)
- Horizontal Resolution: more than 480 lines
- Video Signal/Noise: 90 more than 50 dB (DVD)
- Audio Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz (+1/-3 dB)
- Audio Signal/Noise: 62 dB
- Dynamic Range: 80 dB
- THD: 1% mono, 1.5% stereo (1 kHz)
- Frequency Response: 40 Hz to 10 kHz
- Signal/Noise: 55 dB mono/45 dB stereo
- Stereo Separation: 35 dB
- THD: 1.5% (1 kHz)
- Usable Sensitivity: 900μV/m
- Signal/Noise: 40 dB
- Power Requirement: 120V AC 60Hz
- Power Consumption: 50 watts (1 watt in standby)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.