Boston Acoustics HSi 460
Item # 065HSI460 | MFR # HSi-460
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Boston Acoustics HSi 460 by Crutchfield's James Ralston
Solid in-ceiling performance, care of Boston Acoustics
Looking for clean sound from a hideaway in-ceiling speaker? Boston Acoustics' HSi 460 sports a rugged 6" woofer for solid midrange and bass, plus an aimable soft dome tweeter that'll give you a little extra placement flexibility. You could put a pair of these moisture-resistant speakers together for stereo music, including in rooms like the kitchen or bathroom. Or, say you want to install overhead speakers in a Dolby Atmos home theater — a couple of these Bostons would make a great choice.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out our guide to installing in-ceiling speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. You can paint the included magnetic grille to have your speaker blend in with your décor.
- 3/4" pivoting Kortec soft-dome tweeter for flexible placement options
- 6" DCD (Deep Channel® Design) copolymer woofer for solid midrange and bass response
- recommended power: 10-100 watts
- frequency response: 58-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- moisture resistant for bath and kitchen applications
- magnetic, paintable speaker grille
- frame diameter: 8-1/16"
- cutout dimensions: 6-3/4" diameter
- mounting depth: 4-1/4"
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- In-ceiling loudspeaker
- Self-adhesive "Boston" logo decal
- Paint shield
- Scrim cloth
- Hole Cuttiing Template
- Installation Instructions
- Product Registration Card
- Disposal note
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Power Range (Watts)||10-100|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Two-Way Driver Design: The Boston Horizon HSi 460 in-ceiling speaker utilizes a two-way driver design, featuring a 1" Kortec soft-dome pivoting tweeter for crisp, high frequencies and a 6" DCD copolymer woofer for accurate midrange/midbass performance.
- 1" Kortec Soft-Dome Tweeter: Boston's exclusive Kortec tweeter utilizes a silk-like dome backed by a stiff material to provide smooth high-frequency reproduction and stability at high volume levels. The tweeter also pivots to allow installers to aim the tweeter toward the prime listening position making speaker placement less restrictive.
- 6" DCD Copolymer Woofer: The Deep Channel Design (DCD) woofer uses a deeply grooved pole plate that enables the voice coil to travel farther for greater output without bottoming out. The woofer cone is made of a copolymer material with a butyl rubber surround for solid midbass performance.
Reduced Bezel Design with Magnetic Grille: The HSi 460's reduced bezel design provides seamless integration, while the magnetic grille offers easy installation. Both the frame and grille can be painted to match the ceiling. A plastic paint mask is included to protect the speaker from being painted as well.
Spring-Clip Terminals: The HSi 460 in-ceiling speaker is outfitted with a set of spring-clip terminals that will accept up to 12AWG speaker wire and pin-connectors (sold separately).
Applications: The Boston Horizon HSi 460 in-ceiling speaker can be installed in any room or hallway of your home in a distributed audio system or used as surrounds and overhead speakers in a multichannel home theater system. If the in-ceiling loudspeaker is installed in a damp location (kitchen or bathroom), it should be positioned so that moisture cannot collect inside of it.
In-ceiling Installation: The Boston Horizon HSi 460 installs in a round 6.75" (diameter) cutout opening. The required depth to install the in-ceiling speaker is 4.25" from the mounting surface. Behind the opening there must be a 1" clearance around the speaker to accommodate the mounting ears which secure the speaker to the ceiling. The ceiling material should be at least 1/4" thick.
Note: The NCBR5 new-construction bracket (sold separately) can be used to simplify installation in new construction
Placement: Because you can control the direction of the high frequencies with the pivoting tweeter, you can mount this in-ceiling speaker almost anywhere. For optimum results, place speakers 8' to 12' apart so they form a triangle with the listening area.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.