Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1
Home theater speaker system
Item # 065SDWX51B | MFR # SoundWare XS 5.1 BK
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1 by Crutchfield's Kristen Schaub
If you want wraparound home theater sound and large speakers just aren't an option, check out Boston Acoustics' SoundWare XS 5.1 speaker system. It comes with five ultra-compact satellite speakers — each one fits in the palm of your hand. Their polygonal shape lets you place them on shelves, or mount them on your walls or ceiling with the included brackets. And they'll sound great no matter which way you orient them. Each satellite has a 1/2" tweeter and a 2-1/2" mid/woofer to give you spacious, high-performance sound, especially in smaller living rooms and apartments.
Dramatic lows for movie night
The SoundWare XS 5.1 system also comes with a compact 8" subwoofer. Its built-in amplifier packs 100 watts of power to add some deep home theater thrills to your next movie night. And it uses Boston's BassTrac® circuitry to ensure that you hear deep, distortion-free lows.
The clarity of sound is awesome along with the bass response on the subwoofer. My family and I are enjoying our movie watching experince with these speakers.
What's in the Box:
- 5 Black SoundWare XS satellite speakers
- Powered subwoofer
- 6' AC power cord
- 5 Pivoting ball-mount brackets
- 5 Flat wall-mount brackets
- 5 Corner-mount brackets
- 5 Pan-head machine screws (Length=20mm)
- 20 Flat-head machine screws (Length=10mm)
- 20 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- Owner's Manual/Safety Instructions/Compliance Information booklet (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Product Registration Card (USA/Canada)
Satellite speaker details:
- includes five ultra-compact satellite speakers
- speakers sit or mount at virtually any angle
- video-shielded (except sub) to prevent magnetic distortion on tube TVs
- frequency response: 150-20,000 Hz
- 1/2" dome tweeter and a 2-1/2" woofer (each)
- impedance: 8 ohms
- sensitivity: 85 dB
- each handles up to 100 watts
- mounting brackets included
- 4-7/16"W x 4-1/4"H x 4-7/16"D
- warranty: 5 years
- BassTrac® circuitry monitors the audio signal to prevent audible distortion
- frequency response: 40-150 Hz
- variable low-pass crossover: 60-180 Hz
- 100-watt RMS amplifier
- 8" down-firing woofer
- bass reflex (ported) design
- 11-3/16"W x 12-3/16"H x 16-13/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS 5.1 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||6|
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||2-1/2|
|Woofer Composition||Treated Paper|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||36|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|RMS Power Range (watts)||10-100|
|Subwoofer RMS Power (watts)||100|
|Main Speakers (inches)||4-1/4H x 4-7/16W x 4-7/16D|
|Center Speaker (inches)||4-1/4H x 4-7/16W x 4-7/16D|
|Surround Speakers (inches)||4-1/4H x 4-7/16W x 4-7/16D|
|Subwoofer (inches)||12-3/16H x 11-3/16W x 16-13/16D|
Overview: The Boston Acoustic SoundWare XS 5.1 Home Theater System is an ultra-compact 5.1 speaker loudspeaker system that offers rich, room-filling surround sound while complementing your decor. The SoundWare XS 5.1 speaker system delivers exceptionally articulate on-screen dialog, music, effects, and room filling bass from a small, sleek package. Compact driver placement and quality, along with system-specific crossovers assure a wide uniform dispersion for complete coverage of a listening room. The SoundWare XS 5.1 Home Theater System includes five matching ultra-compact satellite loudspeakers (with mounting hardware) and a one 8-inch, 100-watt powered subwoofer.
Additional Speakers: Additional Boston Acoustic SoundWare satellite speakers (065SNDWRB, sold separately) can be purchased for a 6.1, 7.1, or 9.1 home theater system configuration.
5 SoundWare XS Satellites: The Boston Acoustic SoundWare XS 5.1 Home Theater System features five matching ultra-compact satellite loudspeakers for front, center, and surround speakers. The Boston Acoustics SoundWare satellites are compact, high performance speakers that can be placed virtually anywhere. Their unique geometric shape gives you multiple mounting and placement options.
Ultra-Compact: The SoundWare XS satellite speakers are incredibly small, yet provide high performance sound.
Two-Way Design: Unlike many satellite speakers, the SoundWare XS satellites are true two-way speakers with a separate mid-bass driver and tweeter that offers a 150Hz to 20kHz frequency response.
- Tweeters: Each Boston Acoustic SoundWare XS satellite speaker features a high performance 1/2" fabric dome tweeter.
- Mid-Bass Drivers: Each Boston Acoustic SoundWare XS satellite speaker also features a high performance 2-1/2" treated paper mid-bass driver with a rubber surround.
Acoustic Suspension Enclosure: Each satellite speaker features an acoustic suspension enclosure for detailed, accurate performance.
MagnaGuard Magnetic Shielding: The satellite speakers feature MagnaGuard magnetic shielding which ensures the speaker's magnetic field does not interfere with a television's picture.
Speaker Connectors: Each SoundWare XS satellite speaker features a pair of gold-plated spring-loaded speaker terminals that will accept up to 16-gauge speaker wire.
Self-Powered Subwoofer: The Boston Acoustic SoundWare XS 5.1 Home Theater System includes an 8-inch, 100-watt powered subwoofer which offers a 40Hz to 150hz frequency response.
- 8" Woofer: The powered subwoofer features a down-firing 8" graphite injected polymer woofer with foam surround, which utilizes Deep Channel Design (DSD) for increased bass response.
- 100 Watt Amplifier: The powered subwoofer is equipped with a 100-watts RMS (250-watts Peak) amplifier for powerful low frequency reproduction.
BassTrac Circuitry: The powered subwoofer utilizes BassTrac circuitry for tight, distortion-free bass at all output levels.
Deep Channel Design (DSD): DCD is a deeply grooved pole plate that enables the voice coil of the subwoofer to travel farther for greater output without bottoming out.
Acoustically Tuned Port: The powered subwoofer uses a Bass Reflex enclosure with an down-firing acoustically tuned port for improved bass output.
Controls: The powered subwoofer offers the following rear-panel controls to adjust the woofer to your preference.
- Volume: Adjust the subwoofer Volume control until you hear a match between the front satellite speakers and the subwoofer. Bass response should not overpower the room, but rather be adjusted so there is a natural blend across the entire musical range.
- Crossover: Adjusts the frequency of the low pass filter for the subwoofer between 40Hz and 180Hz @ 24 dB/oct. Fine-tune the crossover setting by ear for the smoothest blend with the main satellite speakers. The best setting of the crossover control will depend on speaker placement and personal preference. The recommended crossover setting for this system is 180Hz.
- Polarity: Select regular (0°) or inverted (180°) phase for the subwoofer. Set this switch to provide the fullest, most dynamic bass. The effect of phase will be most audible on low-frequency percussion instruments or music with a continuously repeating bass line.
RCA (Line-Level) Input: The Boston Acoustic powered subwoofer features a mono-RCA line-level input to connect to the subwoofer (LFE) output of your AV receiver.
Note: The powered subwoofer does not offers speaker-level inputs.
Auto Power On/Off: The powered subwoofer will turn on automatically when an audio input signal is received and off several minutes after the audio signal stops.
Placement Options: The SoundWare XS satellite speakers' unique design allows you to place the speakers on a shelf or mount them on a wall at almost any angle. The supplied mounting hardware allows you to mount the speakers flush or in a corner, and their pivoting mounting brackets let you aim the sound where you want it. Each speaker also includes a 1/4"-20 threaded insert for aftermarket wall-mount brackets or stands, and a tab for attaching a security device.
Mounting Hardware: Included with each satellite speaker is an assortment of mounting hardware. Two metal keyhole-slot brackets are included; one for a flat wall and one for a corner. If you use a keyhole-slot bracket, you must attach the supplied pivoting ball mount to the speaker. The pivoting ball mount allows the speaker to pivot 20° in either direction and pivot down up to 40° when mounted to a flat wall. The corner mount bracket will not allow the speaker to pivot side-to-side. A set screw keeps the speaker from moving once it has been positioned.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.