Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Our take on the Axxera AV714BH by Crutchfield's Dave Delamere
Flip out over this marvel
Axxera's AV714BH multimedia receiver includes a 7" LED-backlit display, so you can enjoy HD-quality video and icon-based touchscreen control in your car. Axxera stuffed all this functionality into a single-DIN (2" tall) chassis with a motorized, retractable screen, so it stays stealthy when it's not in use.
The AV714BH includes an MHL-enabled HDMI input to accommodate compatible iPhone® or Android® smartphones. It also comes with Bluetooth®, DVD/CD playback, front and rear USB inputs, an SD card input for your digital music, and a redesigned graphic user interface (GUI) that provides you a complete multimedia experience for your car.
A bigger display for your smartphone apps
Axxera's DualMirror™ function mimics your phone's display on the receiver's big screen, providing you an easier way to see your apps at a glance. You can check out turn-by-turn directions from your navigation apps, as well as artist and track info from your music apps. You'll still use your smartphone to control the apps, but you won't have to squint at its puny display.
What you need
The AV714BH's DualMirror function relies on the receiver's rear HDMI input to display your smartphone's apps, while the rear USB port charges your phone. With your smartphone connected, you'll see your apps in action on the 7" display for easier viewing. Here's the lowdown on what you need depending on your smartphone:
- iPhone 5, 5C, and 5S: You'll need to connect the Dual DL5i USB/HDMI extension cable to Apple's Lightning Digital AV adapter.
- iPhone 4 and 4S: Connect your iPhone 4 or 4S to Apple's 30-pin to HDMI adapter and the Dual DL5i USB/HDMI extension cable.
- Select MHL-enabled Android phones: You'll connect your Android to the Axxera receiver with Dual's SL115A cable or another HDMI/USB cable.
- Go wireless: Dual's DMH25 DualCast Wi-Fi dongle connects to the USB and HDMI inputs on the receiver and uses Wi-Fi to let you mirror your phone wirelessly.
On the audio side
If you enjoy Internet radio on your iPhone or Android, you'll really enjoy playing music from Pandora® on this versatile receiver. You can scroll through your stations, bookmark songs, and give a thumbs-up or thumbs-down right from the receiver's face. You can also play your MP3 and WMA music using the front USB input, DVD/CD player, and SD card slot.
You can tweak your music with the four EQ presets, and the treble and bass controls. If you're adding amps, the three sets of preamp outputs send out a 4-volt signal that maximizes performance and minimizes noise.
Use the AV714BH's front or rear analog audio/video inputs to hook up your favorite portable audio player, game console, or another video source. This receiver boasts a video output to send movies to a rear video screen, so your passengers will stay happy during the longest road trips.
If you've got a big vehicle, you'll appreciate the input for a rear-view camera — helpful for when you're maneuvering your vehicle in tight spaces.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
does what i need it to do my kids love it!!
What's in the Box:
- DVD receiver w/ motorized-retractable 7" touchscreen monitor (15A fuse)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Preamp/AV harness
- Microphone (w/ attached 9.75' cable terminated by a 3.5mm connector)
- 8" Minijack-to-RCA AV adapter
- 8.25' Parking brake detection wire (Pink)
- Remote control (CR2025 3V battery installed)
- 8 ISO-screws
- Rear-support stud
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Quick Start Guide
- DualMirror Operation Instructions
- SWC Settings
- "Warning" note
- "Congratulations" note
- DVD/CD player with AM/FM tuner
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/60 peak x 4 channels)
- 7" motorized retractable LCD touchscreen with tilt adjustment
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and music streaming
- fits single-DIN (2" tall) dash openings
- remote control
- DualMirror displays select music, navigation, and other apps from connected iPhone and Android
- Pandora control with iPhone and Android
- plays CDs, DVDs, SD cards, and USB memory devices
- four EQ presets
- bass, treble, and loudness controls
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- inputs: front and rear USB ports (rear USB for device charging only), front SD card slot, rear HDMI digital A/V input, front and rear analog A/V inputs, rear-view camera input
- outputs: rear A/V output, 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, sub)
Axxera AV714BH Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||Mini (front), RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), RCA (rear), Mini (front)|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, microSD/SDHC|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power Output||18 watts|
|Peak Output||60 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Radio Data System||No|
7" Motorized Touchscreen: The Axxera AV714BH features a motorized-retractable 7" LCD touchscreen monitor (800x480) with LED backlighting. This unit's touchscreen controls with interactive video graphics make menu navigation simple and intuitive. You can adjust the screen's brightness, contrast, and color.
Secondary LCD Display: In addition to the 7" motorized-retractable monitor, theAV714BH features a secondary 10-character/segment type LCD display. This display can be used during music playback for track & song information. You will need to use the 7" LCD monitor display for menu functions and to view video.
Hard-Key Controls: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons and a rotary-dial on the front-panel of the unit.
Parking Brake Detection: For safety reasons, you cannot view a video source on the built-in monitor as long as the vehicle is in motion. In order to display video, the pink wire of the included harness must be hardwired into the vehicle's parking brake light circuit, and the vehicle's parking brake must be engaged.
Remote Control: The Axxera AV714BH comes supplied with a 40-button IR remote control which provides wireless operation of the Axxera DVD receiver.
DualMirror Input: The Axxera AV714BH features a rear-panel HDMI audio/video input and USB charging port for connection of select Apple iOS devices and MHL-enabled Samsung smartphones. You'll be able to listen to audio from stored music and music apps, watch video from stored movies and movie apps, and view navigation apps on your compatible Apple iOS or MHL-enabled smartphone, using the head unit's HDMI input and USB charging port (know as the "DualMirror" input). The HDMI connection provides the audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. Even though the AV714BH will mirror the display of your connected device, it will not allow you to operate playback functions of your mobile device; you will still continue to use your Apple iOS or Android device's touchscreen to navigate your smartphone's menu and control audio/video playback. You will need to purchase additional cables for connection based on your type of smartphone device (see below).
- Apple iOS Connectivity: If you have a newer Apple iPod touch or iPhone with the Lightning connector, you will need Apple's Lightning Digital AV adapter, Apple's Lightning-to-USB cable, and Dual's mobile-grade DL5i HDMI cable (all sold separately). If you have an older iPhone 4/4S or iPod touch (4th gen) with a 30-pin Dock connector, you will need Apple's Digital AV adapter (sold separately), the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone, and Dual's mobile-grade DL5i HDMI cable (sold separately).
- Android Connectivity: Most MHL-enabled Android devices, will require Axxera's microUSB 5-pin to HDMI/USB cable (070SL55A, sold separately). If you have a Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5 or Note II/III, you will need Axxera's microUSB 11-pin to HDMI/USB cable (070SL115A, sold separately).
- DualCast WiFi Dongle: To make DualMirror smartphone integration with this Axxera multimedia receiver even more seamless, Dual has introduced the all new DMH25 DualCast WiFi dongle (070DMH25, sold separately) to wirelessly connect your Android smartphone (Jelly Bean 4.2+) or Apple iPhone (iOS 4.2+) to the multimedia receiver.
Note: Parking brake does not have to be engaged for DualMirror input to function.
Bluetooth (v2.0) Technology: The Axxera AV714BH features built-in Bluetooth (Ver 2.0) Technology. With built-in Bluetooth, you can wirelessly connect your Bluetooth capable mobile phone to listen to calls through your car's audio system. You can also stream audio from a Bluetooth enabled audio player. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles - HFP (Hands Free Profile), A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), & AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
- Hands-free Communication w/ External Mic: The AV714BH supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The AV714BH allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the included external microphone and your car audio speakers. The AV714BH allows you to answer a call from the head unit's touchscreen monitor. Incoming phone call information will be displayed on the unit's LCD monitor. You can make a call from the AV714BH using the unit's on-screen keypad (0-9) or a call history data log of dialed, received, and missed calls. Your car audio speakers will mute automatically during a call. During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Audio Streaming: The Axxera AV714BH also allows you to play back stored music and streamed music from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, tablet, or personal music player using a Bluetooth connection. You can control (Play/Pause/Skip) the music stored on your Bluetooth audio player from the AV714BH. This unit does not display song/artist information from Bluetooth audio devices.
Note: Before using the unit's Bluetooth functions, you must pair your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone or audio device to the AV714BH. Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some mobile devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the AV714BH.
Disc Compatibility: The Axxera AV714BH supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD +R/RW, CD-Audio and CD-R/RW discs. The unit can play back MP3/WMA music files recorded onto a compatible DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, or CD-R/RW disc.
microSD Card Slot: The AV714BH DVD receiver is fitted with a front-panel microSD card slot which supports playback of MP3/WMA music files and JPEG photo files stored on a microSD/SDHC memory card (up to 32GB).
Front-Panel USB Port: The Axxera AV714BH is fitted with a front-panel USB (type-A) 2.0 port for connection of a USB mass storage class device; such as your Android smartphone (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), digital audio player, or thumbdrive. The unit supports playback of MP3/WMA music files and JPEG photo files stored on a compatible USB MSC device (up to 32GB).
Note: The unit's front-panel USB port is not compatible with direct USB connection of Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad. There is also a rear-panel USB port for charging purposes only.
AM/FM Tuner: The Axxera AV714BH features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, & preset tuning. The built-in AM/FM tuner allows you to store up to 18 FM station presets and 12 AM station presets. You can tune your presets manually or have the head unit do it automatically. The Local function allows only strong radio stations to be received, blocking stations with weaker signals. You can switch the tuner between USA or European tuning.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Axxera AV714BH is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the AVH714BH are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 18 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 60 watts x 4 channels (240 watts total)
Note: The power specifications for the AV714BH are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4V/6Ch RCA Outputs: The AV714BH features front, rear and subwoofer 4-volt RCA outputs. The front and rear speaker RCA outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer RCA output is non-fading.
Audio Settings: The Axxera DVD receiver features the following preset EQ curves (Jazz, Rock, Classical, Pop, & User) to customize your music listening. In User mode, you can adjust the head unit's Bass & Treble manually. The Loudness feature compensates for deficiencies in the low and high sound ranges at low volume. You can even set the head unit to turn-on to the last volume level adjustment when turned off, or turn-on to a pre-defined volume level (0-40) every time you power up the radio.
Note: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation (this can be turned On or Off).
Dual AV Inputs/Video Output: The Axxera AV714BH DVD receiver is fitted with two audio/video inputs. There is a front-panel 3.5mm audio/video input for connecting a temporary external AV source, such as a MP3 player or game console. There is also a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA input for connection of a permanent external audio/video source, such as a Blu-ray player or TV tuner. In addition, the DVD receiver features two rear-panel composite video outputs for integration of a ceiling-mounted or headrest entertainment system in your vehicle.
Rear-View Camera Input: The Camera Input consists of a Composite video RCA jack for connecting an optional rear-view back-up camera (sold separately). This RCA input enables you to connect a rear-view camera to display the area behind your vehicle. The increased view encourages and facilitates safer driving. When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (brown wire of harness must be connected to reverse light wire of vehicle). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.25 seconds. Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
6 questions already asked
It works with my iPhone 6plus, have not tried the 5s yet but I think it's going to work too. Hope this will help. [ DON Oct 01, 2015 ]
Yes, it does [ kahlin Sep 30, 2015 ]
The answer is no, you can play music on your phone while navigating but not on the system. [ Bruce Mar 16, 2015 ]
I don't believe so, it is a mode like radio or cd but I will try it and get back to you [ Bruce Mar 15, 2015 ]
Music will play until the turn prompt cuts in. [ Alan Mar 15, 2015 ]
what are you talking about specifically? Blutooth? Mirrorlink? It should connect to any device that has BT capability. The mirrorlink only mentions smartphones. I do not have a ipod, just an Iphone so could not be for certain if the mirrowlink works with any type of ipod. My guess would be yes if you have the ios that supports output of a hdmi signal. Ron [ Ronald Feb 25, 2015 ]
I'm not sure since I don't have the iPod touch 4Th gen to try but it's worked perfectly with my iPhone 6plus. Hope this will help. [ DON Feb 25, 2015 ]
Yes... as long as you have AV to AV (headphone to headphone) cable [ Noma Feb 23, 2015 ]
It works with bluetooth, both music and phone. It also has a USB port on the front. Hope this helps. [ BARBARA Feb 22, 2015 ]
yes. i play pandora and either use google nav or waze and it will play both. as long as you have it set up to use bluetooth and the hdmi connector. i had to buy an additional connector so my samsung note 4 will be compatible since it doesnt recognise mini hdmi. [ CHAD Jan 20, 2015 ]
Yes , it also has a setting to where it will change the level of brightness by the time of the day you set it to dim . They also have great customer service . Actually surprised me on a fit issue I had . [ Matty Jan 25, 2015 ]
Yes. There are at least 3 brightness levels. Hit the icon at the top of the screen that looks kind of like a sun. [ GREGORY Jan 16, 2015 ]
Yes, however that feature appears to be somewhat limited. There is essentially a clock setting which allows you to toggle between a daylight setting and a night-time setting for brightness (you must enter in the times you want the radio to switch between the two brightness levels). I haven't looked to see if there are other user settings which would allow you to use any other brightness settings other than a pre-set daytime and nighttime setting. [ Jeff Jan 15, 2015 ]
Yes, the unit will allow you to adjust the brightness of the screen. [ Christopher Jan 15, 2015 ]
Is there a way to get it to play music off an iPod touch? [ Justyn Feb 20, 2015 ]
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: The Axxess AV714BH's screen will always retract when it is powered off. There is not any way to make the screen stay out when the unit is not powered up. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Nov 04, 2014 ] Staff