GPS/ADS-B dual-band weather and air traffic receiver for pilots
Our take on the Dual XGPS170D by Crutchfield's Dominic DeVito
Dual-band flight info for your tablet or EFB device
Dual's XGPS170D Bluetooth® dual-band receiver makes your Electronic Flight Bag (EFB) app much more convenient by providing accurate Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) weather and traffic information right to your tablet without costly subscription fees, no matter where you fly in the United States. Some key ADS-B services you'll find transmitted by this handy receiver include:
- FAA Traffic Information Service Broadcast (TIS-B): air traffic information from ATC radar and broadcast from ground radio stations
- ADS-B position reports directly from nearby aircraft operating at 978 MHz (UAT) and/or 1090 MHz (ES)
- FAA Flight Information Service-Broadcast (FIS-B) info from the National Weather Service, including NEXRAD radar, winds aloft, pilot reports, and more
Dual bands for more versatility
Since you're receiving position reports from both 978 UAT and 1090 ES frequencies, you'll be more likely to get accurate information, especially if you're flying internationally. 1090 ES transmissions fall in line with the FAA's 2020 ADS-B mandate, while the 978 UAT still gives you the ability to track weather and traffic info.
Works with a wide array of tablets and apps
The compact XGPS170D receiver transmits the ADS-B info to your iPad®, Android™ tablet, or Windows® tablet, where your EFB app can take advantage of it. You don't need to feel limited to a small number of compatible EFB apps — the info will work with a variety of apps, as well as many other non-EFB apps that use GPS location information. Some of the apps it'll work with include:
- FlyQ EFB
- Pilotbrief Optima
- WingX Pro 7
- True Flight
And you can download Dual's free Status Tool app for the XGPS170D to view detailed device and reception information right on your tablet.
Easy to set up and use
It takes less than a minute to pair your device with the XGPS170D receiver, and the receiver will remember your device the next time you use it. The receiver acquires most locations with high accuracy in under 30 seconds, and can update position up to 10 times per second. You can use the included non-slip pad to mount the XGPS170D securely, whether it's on your car's dashboard, a boat console, or your plane's glareshield.
Power for hours
The receiver's built-in rechargeable battery lasts for up to 5 hours of continuous use, and Dual includes cigarette lighter and wall adapters for charging in the aircraft, car, or at home. The detachable ADS-B antenna allows you to connect the receiver directly to the plane's external antenna if you choose. And you can use the XGPS170D with almost any app that requires location information, including golfing, hiking, geocaching, and car and marine navigation.
The XGPS170D also includes LED indicators for the following statuses: low battery, Bluetooth, GPS, and ADS-B signal.
Stay connected with Bluetooth
The XGPS170D's Bluetooth compatibility means your tablet's Wi-Fi connection isn't being slowed down or prevented from using another accessory. You'll get a seamless signal all flight long, without any service interruptions or the hassle of switching between networks. And it can pair with two Bluetooth devices at the same time so your co-pilot can follow along.
- GPS/dual-band ADS-B information receiver
- built-in rechargeable battery with up to 5 hours of life
- mobile charger (12-30V), wall charger (100-240V), USB charging cable, and non-slip dashboard pad included
- removable ADS-B antenna
- LED indicators for low battery, Bluetooth status, GPS status, and ADS-B status
- provides GPS location and ADS-B weather and traffic information directly to Bluetooth-enabled devices
- works with most Bluetooth-enabled devices, including Apple iPad, iPod touch, and iPhone, plus OS X, Android, and Windows tablets, smartphones, and laptops
- receives both 978 UAT and 1090 ES broadcasts for ADS-B traffic
- compatible with free Dual Status Tool app for showing receiver diagnostics on your device
- compatible with several EFB apps
- compatible with many location-based apps for use in the car, boat, or on foot
- pairs automatically to up to two Bluetooth devices at a time after initial setup
- GPS accuracy: +/- 2.5 meters
- Bluetooth range: 33 feet
- operating altitude: up to 59,000 ft.
- dimensions: 4-3/8"H x 2-13/16"W x 1-1/16"D without antenna
- weight: 5.3 oz. with antenna
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- GPS + Dual Band ADS-B receiver
- Removable ADS-B antenna
- USB-AC power adapter
- 12-30V Cigarette lighter/power adapter
- 5' miniUSB-to-USB charging cable
- Non-slip pad (pre-installed)
- Owner's Manual
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Overview: The Dual XGPS170D GPS + Dual Band ADS-B Weather & Traffic Receiver provides ADS-B weather and traffic broadcasts to a variety of compatible EFB (Electronic Flight Bag) apps on your Apple iOS or Android device. The Dual XGPS170D is not only for aircraft; you can even take this small and portable receiver with you to the car, on a boat, or hiking. The XGPS170D works with pretty much any app that requires location information; including apps for car and marine navigation, golfing, geocaching, hiking, and many others.
Dual Band ADS-B Weather & Traffic Information: The XGPS170D features a WAAS GPS, dual band (978/1090 MHz) ADS-B receiver for weather & traffic information. The ADS-B network provides weather data as well as a growing amount of air traffic information for the United States. Click here for coverage map. The included ADS-B antenna will need to be attached to the XGPS170D before use. The XGPS170D provides the following ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast) services.
- Weather: The ADS-B ground system broadcasts regional NEXRAD weather information every 2.5 minutes and continental NEXRAD information every 15 minutes. Both weather broadcasts are received by the XGPS170D.
- Traffic: The XGPS170D will also receive ADS-B traffic information from both ADS-B ground system and from other aircraft operating 978/1090 MHz ADS-B Out transponders. Traffic information includes position, heading, speed, and altitude for each aircraft. It is important to know that traffic information offered through the ADS-B ground system is only broadcast in response to a signal from an ADS-B Out transponder. Since not all aircraft are equipped with ADS-B transponders at this point, please be aware that the traffic information provided by the ADS-B network is only a partial picture of aircraft traffic. The XGPS170D is not an ADS-B Out transmitter.
Note: The signal from an ADS-B ground transmitter usually cannot be picked up on the ground. In Some areas, you may need to be above 2,000 feet AGL in order to reliably receive broadcasts from an ADS-B ground transmitter. Terrain and proximity to the nearest ground transmitter will affect reception.
Highly Accurate GPS: The XGPS170D includes a WAAS/EGNOS GPS receiver and built-in GPS antenna that provide fast location acquisition (under 29 seconds), with position updates up to 10x per seconds. The GPS location information is wirelessly transmitted via Bluetooth to your Apple iPad or Android tablet.
- Accuracy: +/-2.5m (CEP)
- Maximum Speed: 1,000 kts / 1150 mph
- Maximum Altitude: 18,000 m / 59,000 ft
Compatible Apps: The Dual XGPS170D does not restrict you to just one EFB (Electronic Flight Bag) app. The XGPS170D will work with a number of EFB apps for Apple iOS and Android OS. In addition to EFB apps, the XGPS170D works with most apps that require GPS, including apps for car navigation, marine chart plotting, golfing range finders, geochaching, hiking, and many others.
- Apple iOS Apps: AvPlan EFB, eKneedboard, FitPlan Go, FlyQ EFB, iFlyGPS, and WingX Pro7
- Android OS Apps: Avare, AvNav EFB, AvPlan Lite, DroidEFB, FitPlan Go, iFlyGPS, and Naviator
Note: Not all EFB apps currently display traffic information even if is available from an ADS-B source and received by the XGPS170D.
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR: The XGPS170D wirelessly sends GPS and ADS-B data to up to two Bluetooth-enabled devices simultaneously. It only takes less than a minute to pair your compatible Bluetooth-enabled device with the XGPS170D, and the receiver will remember your device the next time you want to use it. Because the XGPS170D uses Bluetooth, the WiFi connection on your device is left free for other uses; such as connecting to the Internet (for weather services, flight plan updates, etc.) or to another accessory like an AHRS. There are no hassles with switching between networks and no service interruptions. The XGPS170D is compatible with Apple iOS & Android devices.
- Apple iPod touch (2nd gen and up), iPhone (3G and up), iPad (1st gen and up)
- Android OS smartphones and tablets
Note: Airplane mode must be turned off to activate Bluetooth. There is a mode switch on the XGPS170D which must be set based on what type of device you are using. The range of Bluetooth connection will drop as the battery level drops.
LED Indicators: The Dual XGPS170D features 4 LED indicators.
- Low Battery: This light will flash red when the batter level is low and the device requires charging. During charging, the light will glow red and it will change to green when charging is complete. This light is normally off while the XGPS170D is running.
- Bluetooth Status: This blue light will indicate whether the XGPS170D is searching fro a device to connect to, or has successfully paired to a device. A slow blue flash (approx 1x per second) indicates the XGPS170D is not connected to any device, but is ready to connect. A solid blue glow indicates the XGPS170D has successfully paired with at least one device.
- GPS Status: The GPS indicator will flash green while the XGPS170D is searching for satellite signals. The light will change to a steady green when your location is successfully determined. When paired with an iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad; the GPS status light will not illuminate until an app is actively requesting GPS information.
- ADS-B Status: This light glows solid white when the ADS-B receiver is active. The indicator will quickly pulse brighter when it is receiving ADS-B data.
Built-in Rechargeable Battery: The Dual XGPS170D has a built-in rechargeable battery that lasts up to 4 hours of continuous use. The included 12-30V cigarette lighter/power adapter charges the receiver in a car or in an aircraft. The XGPS170D can also be charged using the included AC wall-charger (3 hour charging time). The included 5' miniUSB-to-USB cable connects between the XGPS170D and either the car or home charger.
Note: Computer & laptop USB ports will not supply enough charging current to the XGPS170D, and should not be used for charging.
Non-Slip Pad: The included non-slip pad holds the receiver securely in place on an aircraft's glare-shield, car's dashboard, or boat's console.
Note: The XGPS170D has been designed to work at high temperatures, and it is normal for the unit to become noticeably warm to the touch when operating. It will also absorb additional heat from the direct sun or when sitting on a hot glare shield.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.