Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Fujifilm FinePix S1
16.4-megapixel digital camera with 50X optical zoom and Wi-Fi®
Our take on the Fujifilm FinePix S1 by Crutchfield's David Brown
One camera with one lens for all your photo-worthy moments
From a tiny ladybug perched on a flower in your garden to a mighty lion lounging in the distance of the African savannah. Can a camera with a single lens capture both subjects in all their natural color and detail? The Fujifilm FinePix S1 can do it all. It boasts a wide-angle lens with an incredible 50X optical zoom. That's about as long as it gets for a point-and-shoot camera, making it great for an African safari or a day-trip to the closest zoo. For small subjects like that ladybug, you can get really close — as close as 1cm away with this camera's Super Macro mode. With the versatile FinePix S1 on your hip, you can photograph just about anything that catches your eye without having to rely on multiple cameras or lenses.
Water- and dust-resistant
A point-and-shoot camera with 50X zoom is pretty rare. But we've never before seen one that's also weather-resistant. The FinePix S1 offers protection from rain and dust, so it's much more rugged than other cameras in this class. This adds even more versatility, so you can take advantage of its many features when outdoor conditions aren't ideal. Take the S1 to the beach, on the trail, or out in the rain without feeling anxious at the thought of removing it from your case.
Instant photo-sharing with built-in Wi-Fi
When you're photographing exotic animals or locales, you'll want to share your photos quickly with friends and family back home. The FinePix S1's built-in Wi-Fi makes it easy to transfer photos wirelessly to your smartphone or tablet. Just download the free Fujifilm app on your device, use the S1's connection button for instant pairing, and start sending images to your phone or tablet so you can email and upload your favorite shots. You can even use the app to control your camera remotely. Zoom in and fire the shutter with your smartphone — perfect for taking a family portrait.
The weather-resistant FinePix S1 protects against rain and dust for outdoor flexibility.
Beyond simple HD video
The S1 offers cool video capabilities beyond most point-and-shoot cameras. Fujifilm's unique five-axis image stabilization keeps your home movies looking smooth, protecting against a range of subtle camera movements. You can also shoot high-speed video — great for playing them back in smooth slow-motion. Plus, most of the same creative filters you can apply to still shots can be used to spice up your videos. Try Partial Color for a mostly black-and-white video with only a single hue shining through for a slick-looking home movie.
For the "hands-on" photographer
For some photographers, a shutter button and zoom lever are all the manual controls a camera needs. But if you'd like a few more things to press and pull, the FinePix S1 has you covered. The LCD monitor flips out, so you can line up shots from the hip or above your head. There's an assignable rear dial for shooting in shutter- or aperture-priority modes. A top panel button lets you adjust exposure on the fly. A side-barrel zoom lever makes it easy to get in tight on distant subjects without taking your hand off the shutter button. You can even zoom all the way out with a quick flick of your finger.
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (black)
- NP-85 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7V 1650mAh 6.1Wh)
- AC-5VT AC adapter (5V 1A)
- AC plug insert
- Lens cap (with string)
- Neck strap
- 24" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro USB on other end)
- FinePix CD-ROM software/owner's manual
- Basic Manual (Eng)
- Basic Manual (Fren)
- Basic Manual (Span)
- Fujifilm Worldwide Network
- Product Registration
- Stop! Need Help? sheet
- Information (manual correction sheet)
- 16.4-megapixel effective recording BSI CMOS sensor
- 50X optical zoom (2X intelligent digital zoom/up to 100X combined zoom)
- 3" flip-out high-resolution LCD screen (920,000 dots)
- high-resolution electronic viewfinder (920,000 dots, approx. 97 percent coverage)
- 35mm equivalent lens focal length: 24-1200mm
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC (UHS-I) memory cards
- weather-resistant offers protection against rain and dust
- built-in Wi-Fi for wireless photo transfer to smartphones, tablets, and computers (requires free Fujifilm Camera app for Apple® and Android™)
- operate the camera remotely with your smartphone to zoom in and snap the shutter
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, sweep panorama, and fully automatic exposure modes
- optical image stabilization counteracts shaky hands for blur-free photos
- high-definition movie mode (up to 1080/60p resolution) with 5-axis image stabilization and still image capture
- high-speed video recording for smooth slow-motion movies (up to 480fps)
- assignable rear command dial and exposure compensation button
- Super Macro mode lets you shoot subjects as close as 1cm
- variable ISO settings including a high sensitivity mode (ISO 12,800) for low-light and flash-free shooting
- side barrel zoom lever with two zoom speeds
- creative filters like Fisheye and Partial Color can be applied to stills or video
- records in RAW, JPEG, and RAW+JPEG formats for greater creative flexibility during editing
- face detection and red-eye removal for improved portraits
- burst mode button lets you shoot up to 10fps at full resolution (max. 9 frames)
- hot shoe for adding optional Fujifilm flashes
- pop-up flash
Connections and Dimensions:
- USB 2.0 interface
- mini HDMI (Type C) output (cable not included)
- 5-5/16"W x 3-5/8"H x 4-11/16"D
- weight: 1.5 lbs. (with battery and memory card)
- rechargeable lithium-ion battery (NP-85) and charger
- neck strap
- lens cap with string
- USB cable
- software CD-ROM
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Fujifilm FinePix S1 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||24-1200mm|
|Internal Memory||37 MB|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||24|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Vari-angle 3" LCD Monitor: The Fujifilm FinePix S1 is equipped with a large, 3" LCD monitor with 920,000 dots. Frame coverage is approximately 97% in shooting mode and 100% in playback mode. The LCD panel can swing out and swivel 270 degrees to make it easier to shoot at extreme angles.
EVF: In addition to the LCD monitor, the S1 has a 0.2" LCD Electronic Viewfinder (EVF) with 920,000 dots. Frame coverage is approximately 97% in shooting mode and 100% in playback mode. You can switch between the LCD monitor and the EVF using the EVF/LCD button on the back panel.
50x Zoom Lens: The S1 is equipped with an F2.8-5.6 Fujinon lens with a 50x optical zoom. The focal length is 4.3-215mm, which is equivalent to 24-1200mm in 35mm photography. The Intelligent Digital zoom is approximately 2x, giving the camera a maximum total zoom of 100x.
Dual Zoom Levers: For your convenience, the camera offers two zoom levers. One is located around the shutter release button, while another can be found on the left side of the lens. The side-mounted zoom control lets you zoom with your left hand while keeping your "trigger" finger on the shutter release button so you won't miss the shot.
Image Sensor: The FinePix S1 features a 1/2.3-inch, square-pixel CMOS image sensor with 16.8-million total pixels and 16.4-million effective pixels.
Weather Resistance: The S1 is the world's first weather-resistant camera in its class (lens-integrated camera with a zoom of 50x or more). The camera has a special sealing in approximately 70 areas to help keep water and dust out. This allows you to shoot in most damp and dusty conditions without worry.
Built-in Wi-Fi: The camera features built-in Wi-Fi that enables you to wirelessly connect the camera with a smartphone or a PC. Once you have downloaded the free Fujifilm Camera Remote app to the smartphone, you can take pictures remotely using the smartphone, upload pictures to the smartphone, browse and download pictures on the camera, and download location information from the smartphone. You can also wirelessly save pictures to a computer over a wireless network, using the free Fujifilm PC AutoSave application.
Note: The Camera Remote app is available from Google Play for Android smartphones/tablets running Android OS Version 2.2 to 4.4 (Android 4.0 or later can use the Remote Control feature. It is also available from the Apple App Store for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices running iOS 5.0 or later.
Recording Media: Still images and movies can be recorded onto SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards. In addition, the camera has an internal memory of approximately 37 MB that allows you to store a few test shots.
Still Image Quality: The FinePix S1 records still images in JPEG format in 4:3, 3:2, 16:9, and 1:1 aspect ratios in three sizes each. You can also select how much the image files are compressed--Fine (low compression) for higher image quality or Normal (high compression) to increase the number of pictures that can be stored. In addition, RAW images can be recorded from the raw, uncompressed image data from the camera's image sensor. RAW format images must be processed on a computer using the supplied RAW File Converter application software. You can also shoot a RAW + JPEG image at the same time, with separate RAW and JPEG files recorded and stored.The Image Size options are:
|4:3 Aspect Ratio||3:2 Aspect Ratio||16:9 Aspect Ratio||1:1 Aspect Ratio|
|L: 4608 x 3456||L: 4608 x 3072||L: 4608 x 2592||L: 3456 x 3456|
|M: 3264 x 2448||M: 3264 x 2176||M: 3264 x 1840||M: 2432 x 2432|
|S: 2304 x 1728||S: 2304 x 1536||S: 1920 x 1080||S: 1728 x 1728|
HD/SD Movies: The S1 can record high definition (16:9) and standard definition (4:3) movies in MOV (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) format with Linear PCM stereo audio. High Speed Movies are recorded at a high frame rate for slow motion playback. The following options are available:
- Full HD: 1920 x 1080 (1080p, 60 fps)
- HD: 1280 x 720 (720p, 60 fps)
- 640: 640 x 480 (VGA, 30 fps)
- High Speed: 640 x 480 (120 fps), 320 x 240 (240 fps), 320 x 120 (480 fps)
Shooting Modes: Using the top-mounted mode dial, you can set the camera to suit your level and style of photography. The shooting mode choices include:
- SR Auto (Scene Recognition): With this "point and shoot" mode, the camera automatically adjusts the settings to suit the scene. The following scenes are selected automatically: Portrait, Landscape, Night, Macro, Night Portrait, Back-lit Portrait, and Auto.
- Auto: A point and shoot mode recommended for first time users of digital cameras.
- P, S, A, M:
- Program AE: The camera sets the exposure automatically.
- Shutter Priority: You choose the shutter speed, letting the camera set the aperture for optimal exposure.
- Aperture Priority: You choose the aperture, letting the camera set the shutter speed for optimal exposure.
- Manual: The Manual mode lets you choose both shutter speed and aperture.
- Scene Position: You can select a scene suited to the subject or shooting conditions, and store it for quick access. Available scenes include: Portrait, Landscape, Sport, Night, Night (Tripod), Fireworks, Sunset, Snow, Beach, Party, Flower, and Text.
- Motion Panorama 360: You can take a series of pictures and join
them together to form a panorama. Use of a tripod is recommended in
composing overlapping shots. Image sizes include:
- 360°: 1624 x 11520 (tall), 11520 x 1080 (wide)
- 100°: 1624 x 5760 (tall), 5760 x 1080 (wide)
- 120°: 1624 x 3840 (tall), 3840 x 1080 (wide)
- Custom Mode: In P, S, A, and M modes, the Custom Set
option in the shooting menu can be used to save current camera and menu
settings. These settings are recalled whenever the mode dial is rotated to C
- Shooting menu: ISO, Image Size, FinePix Color, Image Quality, Photometry, White Balance, Focus mode, Flash, Face Detection, and AE Bracketing EV Steps.
- Setup menu: Image Display, IS Mode, Side Zoom Lever, AF Illuminator, and Intelligent Digital Zoom.
- Other: Shooting mode (P,S,A, or M), continuous shooting mode, macro mode, exposure compensation, flash mode, shutter speed, aperture, and indicators/best framing.
Intelligent Face Detection: When Face Detection is On, the camera automatically detects human faces anywhere in the frame and sets the focus and exposure for shots that emphasize portrait subjects. This mode will prevent the camera from focusing on the background when taking group portraits or self portraits. Intelligent Face Detection also offers a red-eye removal option for removing the red-eye effects caused by the flash.
Image Stabilization: When shooting in a poorly lit area, any degree of camera shake can cause blurry pictures. The FinePix S1 offers Lens Shift-type Image Stabilization to reduce the effect of the camera shake and subject blur. Image Stabilization can be enabled continuously or shooting only (when the shutter button is pressed halfway). For movies, the camera uses Digital Image Stabilization.
ISO Sensitivity: You can manually set the camera's sensitivity to ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400 (Image Size M or S), or 12800 (Image Size S). Auto ISO Sensitivity lets the camera determine the ISO setting with a maximum value of 400, 800, 1600, or 3200.
White Balance: White balance is used to preserve natural colors under different types of lighting. You can select Auto, Direct Sunlight, Shade, "Daylight" fluorescent lamps, "Warm White" fluorescent lamps, "Cool White" fluorescent lamps, and Incandescent light. You can also measure for a white balance setting that best matches the light source.
Exposure Compensation: You can alter the exposure from the value suggested by the camera, making pictures brighter or darker. You can adjust the exposure a total of 13 steps from -2.0 to +2.0 EV in 1/3 EV steps. Exposure compensation is available in the P, S, or A shooting modes only.
FinePix Color: You can enhance the contrast and color saturation for the images you record, or you can take pictures in monochrome. Standard contrast/saturation is recommended in most situations. You can switch to Chrome for vivid contrast and color for shooting flowers or landscapes. Monochrome pictures can be taken in Black & White or Sepia.
Continuous Shooting: You can take multiple pictures continuously while the shutter button is held, using the Continuous Shooting (or Burst) mode. The following modes are available:
- Continuous H: Camera takes up to 9 pictures, at up to 10 fps.
- Continuous M: Camera takes up to 9 pictures, at up to 5 fps.
- Continuous L: Camera takes up to 9 pictures, at up to 3 fps.
- Best Frame Capture: The camera shoots a series of consecutive shots starting before and ending after the shutter release button is pressed. You can choose a frame rate of 10, 5, or 3 frames per second. You can also choose 9 or 18 total images, and vary how the frames are distributed before and after the button is pressed.
- AE Bracketing: Each time the shutter button is pressed, the camera takes three shots, at up to 10 fps: one at the metered value for exposure, the second overexposed and the third underexposed. The amount of over- and under-exposure can be set to ±1/3EV, ±2/3EV, or ±1EV.
Self-timer: The camera gives you the choice of a 10-second or 2-second self timer.
Interval Shooting: The FinePix S1 allows you to take a series of pictures at set intervals. You can choose the interval (15 sec., 30 sec., 60 sec., 5 mins., or 10 mins.) and the shooting duration (5 mins., 10 mins., 30 mins., 60 mins., 2 hours, 3 hours, or 6 hours).
Auto Focus: In most cases, the S1 uses contrast-detection TTL (through the lens) Auto Focusing. The camera can be set to focus on the subject continuously, or when the shutter button is pressed halfway. You can also select the focus area: Center, Multi, Area, Continuous, or Tracking.
Focus Range: The camera's focus range is approximately 1.3' to infinity (wide angle) and 4.9' to infinity (telephoto). In the Macro mode, the focus range is approximately 2" to 9.8' (wide angle), and 4.3' to 16.4' (telephoto). In Super Macro, the range is 0.3" to 3.2' (wide angle).
Flash Modes: The FinePix S1 has a built-in manual pop-up flash with an effective range of 1.4' to 26.2' (wide angle), and 11.4' to 13.1' (telephoto). In macro mode, the effective range is 0.9' to 9.8' (wide) and 6.5' to 13.1' (telephoto). Red-eye removal minimizes the "red-eye" effect, and is available for each flash mode. You can choose from the following flash modes:
- Auto: flash fires automatically as required by the shooting conditions
- Forced Flash: flash will fire whenever a picture is taken
- Slow Synchro: auto flash combined with slow shutter speeds (tripod recommended)
- Flash Off: You can close the pop-up flash when flash photography is prohibited, or to capture natural lighting under dim light.
Light Metering: The S1 uses 256-segment, TTL (through-the-lens) metering, where the camera automatically assesses the scene and selects the optimum exposure. You can select from three metering modes: Multi, Spot, and Average.
Viewing Images: Images can be played back one-at-a-time or in multi-frame views. Multi-frame options include side-by-side (with the previous and next images appearing as smaller thumbnails), 9-image grid (3 x 3), and a 100-image grid (10 x 10) of micro-thumbnails.
Image Search: You can choose to sort your images by date, face, favorites, type of data, and upload mark.
Slide Show: You can view pictures in an automated slide show. When a movie is displayed, playback will begin automatically. You can select a Normal slide show that displays a single image at a time, a slide show that will automatically zoom in on faces selected with Intelligent Face Detection.
PhotoBook Assist: You can create a photo album inside the camera. You can select pictures stored on the memory card to be displayed in the PhotoBook. Up to 300 pictures can be added to a PhotoBook. PhotoBook can be viewed in the camera, or copied to a computer using the supplied MyFinePix Studio software.
Printing Pictures: Using DPOF (Digital Print Order Form), you can designate which images to print, and whether to print them with or without date. Pictures can be printed as followed:
- Printer or Photo Lab: plug the camera into a Pictbridge-compatible printer, insert the memory card into a compatible printer, or take the memory card to a digital photo lab
- Transferring to Computer: transfer the images to a computer before printing them
Power Requirements: The FinePix S1 is powered by the supplied NP-85 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7V, 1650mAh, 6.1Wh). The battery charges inside the camera while it is connected via the supplied USB cable to the AC adapter or to a computer. A fully-charged battery provides enough power for shooting approximately 350 frames.
USB-Multi-Connector: The FinePix S1 features a Micro USB port for connecting the supplied USB cable for downloading your photos to your computer, or to a Pictbridge-compatible printer.
HDMI: You can connect the camera to an HDTV via HDMI for viewing images and videos in HD. An optional HDMI-to-Mini HDMI (Type C) cable is required.
Note: When the camera is connected via HDMI, the USB cable cannot be used.
System Requirements: The FinePix S1 comes with a CD-ROM disc containing MyFinePix Studio Ver. 4.2b for Windows, and RAW File Converter for Macintosh and Windows. The Owner's Manual is also included on the disc in multiple languages. The MyFinePix Studio software can be used to copy pictures to a computer, where they can be stored, viewed, organized, and printed. For importing pictures or movies to a Mac, you can use a standard application such as Image Capture. RAW File Converter allows you to view RAW images on your computer. In order to use the included software, your computer must have one of the following operating systems:
- MyFinePix Studio Version 4.2b: Windows 8, Windows 7 (SP1), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows XP (SP3)
- RAW File Converter: Windows 8, Windows 7 (SP1), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows XP (SP3), Mac OS X version 10.6-10.9
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
2 questions already asked
Yes there are thread for thread Filters [ Phillip M Jones Aug 22, 2014 ]
There is a bayonet adapter with 72mm inside threads available. I use it with permanently attached circular polarizer. Good construction but may be difficult to use if swapping filters. HTH [ THOMAS Aug 15, 2014 ]
Thanks for your question. For information on comparing two or more models I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Krissy Mar 21, 2014 ] Staff