Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Fujifilm FinePix S2980 Bundle
14-megapixel, 18X high-zoom camera with case and 4GB memory card
Item # 072S2980 | MFR # 600011859
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Fujifilm FinePix S2980 Bundle by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
A recipe for photographic success
Let's start with a full-featured yet novice-friendly camera from one of the world's most respected names in image capture. Add in a convenient, rugged and protective carrying case. Top it off with a speedy 4GB memory card to get you started on your way to capturing top-quality stills and motion video. That's the beauty of the Fujifilm S2980 high-zoom camera bundle. You get the essentials you need to start shooting great pictures right away, while keeping your gear safe and protected from the elements.
The Fujifilm S2980 is the perfect on-the-go camera: it's lightweight, fast-starting and wonderfully versatile. Its lens zooms from a wide setting that will include your whole reunion group, to a tight shot of a winning touch-football catch in the game between the cousins. Auto Scene Recognition modes ensure you get the best shot every time, by optimizing your camera's settings for your surroundings.
I know nothing about cameras, but here goes...great pictures, let's me do as little or as much as I like in picture taking. Point and shoot, or experiment with different settings. The price was excellent, very pleased with this purchase.
Susan P, Pennsylvania
What's in the Box:
- The Fujifilm FinePix S2980 Camera Kit contains the following separately packaged items:
- Black camera case
- 4 GB Class 4 SDHC memory card
- and the FinePix S2980 digital camera
- The S2980 box includes:
- Digital camera body (black)
- Lens cap
- Lens cap cord
- Neck strap
- 4 "AA" alkaline batteries
- 32" AV/USB cable (with proprietary connector on one end and a Type A USB and 2 RCA plugs (composite video and mono audio) on the other end
- FinePix CD (software and Owner's Manual)
- Owner's Manual (English)
- Owner's Manual (French)
- Owner's Manual (Spanish)
- Product Registration/Warranty sheet
- Company contact sheet (Stop--Need Help or Have Questions?)
- Fujifilm Worldwide Network
- For Your Safety
- 14-megapixel (effective) 1/2.3-inch CCD image sensor
- 35mm equivalent lens focal length: 24-504mm
- records photos and video onto optional SD or SDHC memory cards
- 18X optical zoom (6.7X digital zoom)
- 3" LCD screen
- electronic viewfinder
- high-definition movie mode (up to 720p resolution)
- ergonomically designed control interface
- sensor shift stabilization minimizes blurring caused by a shaky hand
- SR Auto mode optimizes settings for 6 typical scenes: Portrait, Landscape, Night, Macro, Night Portrait, and Backlit Portrait
- face detection identifies up to 10 faces in your frame and adjusts focus and exposure for better portraits
- super macro mode focuses on close objects as close as 2 cm from the lens
- pre-tag your captured photos and movies for automatic upload to sharing sites when you next connect to a computer
- fast auto focusing and tracking keeps fast-moving subjects in the frame and in focus
- motion panorama automatically stitches together consecutive shots for easy 360° panoramas
Connections and Dimensions:
Fujifilm FinePix S2980 Bundle Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||28-504mm|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CCD|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor Shift|
|Highest Resolution||4288 x 3216|
|Video Resolution||1280 x 720|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||15.4|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: This Fujifilm FinePix S2980 Camera Kit includes the FinePix S2980 camera, a black camera case, and a 4 GB Class 4 SDHC memory card.
3" LCD Monitor: The FinePix S2980 is equipped with a large, 3" LCD monitor with 230,000 dots. Frame coverage is approximately 97% in shooting mode and 100% in playback mode. In addition to the 3" LCD monitor, the camera includes a 0.2" electronic LCD viewfinder with 200,000 dots. You can manually switch between the LCD monitor and the EVF.
18x Zoom Lens: The S2980 is equipped with an F3.1-5.6 Fujinon lens with an 18x optical zoom. The focal length is 5-90mm, which is equivalent to 28-504mm in 35mm photography. The digital zoom is approximately 6.7x. When the digital zoom is activated, the maximum total zoom is 120.6x. When shooting movies, the camera has a 3x digital zoom for 1280 HD movies and 2x for 640/320 movies.
Instant Zoom: The Instant Zoom function lets you follow moving subjects in standard wide view for easy framing at high zoom settings. When you activate Instant Zoom, the subject tracked within the selected frame will be captured and saved at a high zoom ratio (1.4x or 2.0x). You can select a horizontal or vertical zoom frame.
Image Sensor: The FinePix S2980 features a 1/2.3-inch, square-pixel CCD image sensor with 14-million effective pixels.
Recording Media: Still images and movies can be recorded onto SD or SDHC memory cards, but not SDXC. A 4 GB SDHC memory card is supplied with this special bundle package.
Still Image Quality: The FinePix S2980 records still images in JPEG format in 4:3, 3:2, and 16:9 aspect ratios in three sizes each. You can also select how much the image files are compressed--Fine (low compression) for higher image quality or Normal (high compression) to increase the number of pictures that can be stored. The Image Size options are:
|4:3 Aspect Ratio||3:2 Aspect Ratio||16:9 Aspect Ratio|
|L: 4288 x 3216 (14M)||L: 4288 x 2864 (12M)||L: 4288 x 2416 (10M)|
|M: 3072 x 2304 (7M)||M: 3072 x 2048 (6M)||M: 3072 x 1728 (5M)|
|S: 2048 x 1536 (3M)||S: 2048 x 1360 (3M)||S: 1920 x 1080 (2M)|
HD/SD Movies: The S2980 can record high definition (16:9) and standard definition (4:3) movies are recorded at 30 frames per second in AVI (Motion JPEG) format with mono audio (WAV). Individual movies cannot exceed 29 minutes in length or 2 GB is file size, regardless of the capacity of the memory card. A Class 4 card or higher is recommended when shooting HD movies. The following options are available:
- HD 1280: 1280 x 720
- SD 640: 640 x 480
- SD 320: 320 x 240
Shooting Modes: Using the top-mounted mode dial, you can set the camera to suit your level and style of photography. The shooting mode choices include:
- Scene Recognition (SR Auto): With this "point and shoot" mode, the camera automatically adjusts the settings to suit the scene. The following scenes are selected automatically: portrait, landscape, night, macro, night portrait, and back-lit portrait.
- Auto: A point and shoot mode recommended for first time users of digital cameras.
- Scene Position: You can select a scene suited to the subject or shooting conditions, and store it for quick access. Available scenes include: Zoom Bracketing, Natural Light, Natural and Flash, Portrait, Baby Mode, Smile & Shoot, Landscape, Sport, Night, Night (Tripod), Fireworks, Sunset, Snow, Beach, Party, Flower, and Text.
- Motion Panorama: You can take up to three pictures and join them together to form a panorama. Use of a tripod is recommended in composing overlapping shots.
- P, S, A, M:
- Program AE: The camera sets the exposure automatically.
- Shutter Priority: You choose the shutter speed, letting the camera set the aperture for optimal exposure.
- Aperture Priority: You choose the aperture, letting the camera set the shutter speed for optimal exposure.
- Manual: The Manual mode lets you choose both shutter speed and aperture.
- Custom Mode: In P, S, A, and M modes, the Custom Set
option in the shooting menu can be used to save current camera and menu
settings. These settings are recalled whenever the mode dial is rotated to C
- f-mode menu: ISO, Image Size, Finepix Color
- Shooting menu: Image Quality, Photometry, White Balance, AF mode, Sharpness, Flash, and AE Bracketing EV Steps.
- Setup menu: Image Disp, Dual IS Mode, AF Illuminator, Digital Zoom, and EFV/LCD mode
- Other: Shooting mode (P,S,A, or M), continuous shooting mode, Intelligent Face Detection, Instant zoom, macro mode, exposure compensation, flash mode, shutter speed, aperture, display type, indicators, or best framing.
- Movies: Lets you record HD or SD movies with sound.
Intelligent Face Detection: When Face Detection is On, the camera automatically detects human faces anywhere in the frame and sets the focus and exposure for shots that emphasize portrait subjects. This mode will prevent the camera from focusing on the background when taking group portraits or self portraits. Intelligent Face Detection also offers a red-eye removal option for removing the red-eye effects caused by the flash.
Blink Detection: With Face Detection on, the camera will display a warning if it detects subjects who may have blinked when the picture was taken. This allows you to view the image, zoom in on the subject, and choose whether or not to reshoot the picture.
Dual Image Stabilization: When shooting in a poorly lit area, any degree of camera shake can cause blurry pictures. In this case, Image Stabilization (CCD shift type) is combined with high sensitivity to reduce the effect of the camera shake and subject blur. Dual IS can be enabled continuously or only when the shutter button is pressed halfway.
ISO Sensitivity: You can manually set the camera's sensitivity to ISO 64, 100, 200, 400, 800, and 1600. When the image size is Small, you can also set the sensitivity to ISO 3200 or 6400. The Auto settings will adjust the sensitivity settings according to the shooting conditions. Auto (800) and Auto (400) have maximum value limits of 800 and 400 respectively. The higher the sensitivity setting, the better the camera is at reducing blur in poor lighting conditions, however, high settings can result in more noise in the recorded images.
White Balance: White balance is used to preserve natural colors under different types of lighting. You can select Auto, Direct Sunlight, Shade, "Daylight" fluorescent lamps, "Warm White" fluorescent lamps, "Cool White" fluorescent lamps, and Incandescent light. You can also measure for a white balance setting that best matches the light source.
Exposure Compensation: You can alter the exposure from the value suggested by the camera, making pictures brighter or darker. You can adjust the exposure a total of 13 steps from -2.0 to +2.0 EV in 1/3 EV steps. Exposure compensation is available in the P, S, or A shooting modes only.
Continuous Shooting: You can capture motion in a series of pictures using the Continuous Shooting (or Burst) mode. The following modes are available:
- Top 3: Camera takes up to three pictures, at up to 1.2 fps, while the shutter button is pressed.
- Final 3: Camera takes up to 40 pictures, at up to 1.2 fps, while the shutter button is pressed, but only the last three are recorded.
- Long Period: Camera takes pictures, at up to 1.2 fps, while the shutter button is pressed, and ends when the button is released or the memory becomes full.
- Top 10: Camera takes up to 10 pictures, at up to 3.3 fps, while the shutter button is pressed. Image size is Medium.
- Top 20: Camera takes up to 20 pictures, at up to 8 fps, while the shutter button is pressed. Image size is Small.
- AE Bracketing: Each time the shutter button is pressed, the camera takes three shots, at up to 1.2 fps: one at the metered value for exposure, the second overexposed and the third underexposed. The amount of over- and under-exposure can be set to ±1/3EV, ±2/3EV, or ±1EV in the shooting menu.
Self-timer: The camera gives you the choice of a 10-second or 2-second self timer.
Auto Focus: In most cases, the S2980 uses contrast-detection TTL (through the lens) Auto Focusing. The camera can be set to focus on the subject continuously, or when the shutter button is pressed halfway. You can also select the focus area: Center, Multi, Area, Continuous, or Tracking.
Focus Range: The camera's focus range is approximately 1.3' to infinity (wide angle) and 8.2' to infinity (telephoto). In the Macro mode, the focus range is approximately 1.9" to 9.8' (wide angle), 5.9' to 9.8' (telephoto), and 0.7" to 3.2' Super Macro--wide angle).
Flash Modes: The FinePix S2980 has a built-in manual pop-up flash with an effective range of 1.3' to 26.2' (wide angle), and 8.2' to 14.4' (telephoto). In macro mode, the range is 1.0' to 9.8' (wide) and 1.0' to 5.9' (telephoto). Red-eye removal minimizes the "red-eye" effect, and is available for each flash mode. You can choose from the following flash modes:
- Auto: flash fires automatically as required by the shooting conditions
- Forced Flash: flash will fire whenever a picture is taken
- Slow Synchro: auto flash combined with slow shutter speeds (tripod recommended)
- Flash Off: You can close the pop-up flash when flash photography is prohibited, or to capture natural lighting under dim light.
Light Metering: The S2980 uses 256-segment, TTL (through-the-lens) metering, where the camera automatically assesses the scene and selects the optimum exposure. You can select from three metering modes: Multi, Spot, and Average.
Voice Memo: You can add a voice memo of up to 30 seconds to a still picture when it is displayed in the playback mode. Voice memos are recorded as PCM-format WAV files.
Viewing Images: Images can be played back one-at-a-time or in multi-frame views. Multi-frame options include side-by-side (with the previous and next images appearing as smaller thumbnails), 9-image grid (3 x 3), and a 100-image grid (10 x 10) of micro-thumbnails.
Image Search: You can choose to sort your images by date, face, subject, favorites, scene, file type, and upload mark.
Slide Show: You can view pictures in an automated slide show. When a movie is displayed, playback will begin automatically. You can select a Normal slide show that displays a single image at a time, a slide show that will automatically zoom in on faces selected with Intelligent Face Detection, or display several pictures at once.
PhotoBook Assist: You can create a photo album inside the camera. You can select pictures stored on the memory card to be displayed in the PhotoBook. Up to 300 pictures can be added to a PhotoBook. PhotoBook can be viewed in the camera, or copied to a computer using the supplied MyFinePix Studio software.
Uploading Images: You can select images and movies to be queued for upload to YouTube or Facebook. Using the supplied MyFinePix Studio software, items added to the upload queue can be easily uploaded from your computer.
Printing Pictures: Using DPOF (Digital Print Order Form), you can designate which images to print, and whether to print them with or without date. Pictures can be printed as followed:
- Printer or Photo Lab: plug the camera into a Pictbridge-compatible printer, insert the memory card into a compatible printer, or take the memory card to a digital photo lab
- Transferring to Computer: transfer the images to a computer before printing them
Power Requirements: The FinePix S2980 is powered by four "AA" batteries. In addition to the supplied Alkaline batteries, Lithium or Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) batteries can be used. Typical battery life is 300 shots for Alkaline, 700 shots for Lithium, or 500 shots for Ni-MH rechargeables. For powering the camera when connected to a computer or during extended playback (without batteries), the optional AC-5VX AC power adapter and CP-04 DC coupler can operate the camera on standard household current.
Auto Power Off Function: When the camera is operated on battery power, the Auto Power Off function will automatically turn off the camera to reduce the drain on the batteries if no operations are performed for 2 minutes or 5 minutes, as set in the menu. Regardless of the option selected, the camera will not automatically turn off when connected to a printer or computer, or when a slide show is in progress.
USB-A/V Connector: The FinePix S2980 features a proprietary jack for connecting the supplied USB-A/V cable. This one cable allows you to download your photos to your computer via USB, or connect your camera to a non-HD TV (composite video/mono audio). The output can be set to NTSC or PAL.
HDMI: You can connect the camera to an HDTV via HDMI for viewing images and videos in HD. An optional HDMI-to-Mini HDMI (Type C) cable is required.
Note: When the camera is connected via HDMI, the USB cable cannot be used.
System Requirements: The FinePix S2980 comes with a CD-ROM disc containing MyFinePix Studio Ver. 2.1 for Windows and FinePix Viewer Ver 3.6 for Macintosh. The Owner's Manual is also included on the disc in multiple languages. The software can be used to copy pictures to a computer, where they can be stored, viewed, organized, and printed. In order to use this software, your computer must have one of the following operating systems:
- MyFinePix Studio Version 2.1: Windows 7 (SP1), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows XP (SP3)
- FinePix Viewer Version 3.6: Mac OS X version 10.3.9-10.6 (Mac OS X 10.7 is not supported)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.