Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Focal FPD 900.6
6-channel amplifier — 150 watts RMS x 6
Item # 091FPD9006 | MFR # FPD 900.6
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Focal FPD 900.6 by Crutchfield's Alexander Hrabe
Winner of an esteemed CES Design and Engineering Innovation Award, the FPD 900.6 amplifier is more proof that Focal is a world-leader in audio technology. This unobtrusive 6-channel amplifier will give your system a clean, powerful boost while keeping the current draw low, making it a wise choice for pure electric cars and for micros like Smart Car.
Keep your options open
You can drive six different speakers with up to 150 watts RMS each in 6-channel mode. You can also drive your front and rear speakers with channels 1-4, while you bridge channels 5-6 to push your sub with up to 600 watts, even with a 2-ohm load. Focal even includes a wired remote for adjusting the subwoofer level from the front seat. Whatever you decide, you can use the amp's high-, low- and bandpass filters to optimize your system's performance.
When size matters
The amp's compact aluminum chassis disperses heat with incredible efficiency, so you can mount it in tighter quarters than usually recommended for the average amp. It's not much bigger than a standard text book, so its stashability factor is high, making it a convenient choice if space is an issue. And if you're keeping your factory radio, the amp automatically detects and converts the high-level signals from your speaker wires.
What's in the Box:
- 6-channel amplifier
- Three 20 amp ATO fuses (installed)
- Wired remote control (subwoofer only)
- 15' Remote control cable (RJ-25 plug on both ends)
- Four 5/8" Self-tapping screws
- Two 1/2" Self-tapping screws
- Eight Allen-head machine screws
- 2 Mounting brackets
- 3mm Allen wrench
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- 1.5m Allen wrench
- User manual website information
- Class D 6-channel amplifier
- 150 watts RMS x 6 at 4 ohms
- channels 1-2 & 3-4:
- 200 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms
- 400 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms in bridged mode (4-ohm stable when bridged)
- channels 5-6:
- 275 watts RMS x 2 at 1 to 2 ohms
- 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 to 4 ohms in bridged mode (2-ohm stable when bridged)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- high-pass crossover: 10-4,000 Hz; low-pass crossover: 45-4,000 Hz; and subsonic filter: 10-120 Hz
- heat dispersing aluminum chassis
- high-level inputs with auto-detection & auto turn-on; RCA low-level inputs
- remote sub control
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- fuse rating: 20A x 3
- dimensions: 13-7/8"W x 2"H x 8-7/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
150 x 6
275 x 2
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||200 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||400 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||2|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||1|
|Best Frequency Response||5-30k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||101 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||45 Hz - 4 kHz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 or 24 dB/oct|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||10 Hz - 4 kHz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/oct|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||RCA|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Channel Design: The Focal FPD 900.6 can be configured as a 6-channel, 5-channel, 4-channel, or 3-channel amplifier. The power output is identical from all six channels at 4Ω, but varies at other impedances; channels 5+6 are 1Ω stable:
- Channels 1+2 and 3+4:
- 4Ω: 150 watts RMS x 4-channels
- 2Ω: 200 watts RMS x 4-channels
- Bridged: 400 watts RMS x 2-channels into 4Ω
- Channels 5+6:
- 4Ω: 150 watts RMS x 2-channels
- 2Ω: 275 watts RMS x 2-channels
- 1Ω: 275 watts RMS x 2-channels
- 4Ω: 500 watts RMS x 1-channel
- 2Ω: 500 watts RMS x 1-channel
CEA-2006 Compliant: CEA-2006 is a system of testing and measurement methods for mobile audio amplifiers. This voluntary standard advocates a uniform method for measuring an amplifier's RMS power output and signal-to-noise ratio. The criteria for measuring power uses a DC input voltage of 14.4 volts and the RMS power output is measured into a 4Ω load, with 1% or less Total Harmonic Distortion plus noise (THD+N), and over a frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz (for full range amplifiers). Signal-to-Noise ratio is measured in weighted absolute decibels (dBA) at a reference of 1 watt into 4Ω. CEA-2006 standards allow consumers to compare amplifiers on an equal basis.
Speaker Level Inputs: The RCA inputs will accept either speaker-level or line level signals from your car's head unit. A speaker level signal is connected to the RCA inputs using a speaker wire to RCA adapter (sold separately).
Auto Turn-on: When using a speaker level input, the amp will turn on automatically when it senses the input signal.
Front-mounted Controls: The amplifier controls are mounted on the front panel.
Level Control (Gain): The input level is independently adjustable for channels 1+2, 3+4, and 5+6. The input range is 0.2 Volts to 8.0 Volts.
Input Switch: The three position input switch configures the amp's inputs:
- 2: only inputs 1+2 are used, and are routed to channels 3+4 and 5+6
- 4: inputs 1+2 and 3+4 are used and routed to their respective channels; they are also summed, lowered by 6 dB, and routed to channels 5+6 (thus channels 5+6 are not affected when fading between inputs 1+2 and 3+4)
- 6: all six inputs are used and routed to their respective channels
Crossover: The amp has independent crossover controls for channels 1+2, 3+4, and 5+6. The crossover slopes are all 12 dB/octave, except the channel 5+6 crossover when in Sub mode, which is 24 dB/octave:
- Channels 1+2:
- Mode: three position switch; choose flat (full range, crossover is bypassed), high pass, or Copy 3+4 (copies signal and filter settings from channels 3+4)
- Frequency: set the crossover point when in high pass mode; rotary dial; 50 Hz-4 kHz
- Channels 3+4:
- Mode: choose flat (full range, crossover is bypassed), high pass, low pass, or band pass (both high pass and low pass filters are engaged)
- HP: set the crossover point when using as a high pass or band pass crossover; rotary dial; 50 Hz-4 kHz
- LP: set the crossover point when using as a low pass or band pass crossover; rotary dial; 50 Hz-4 kHz
- Channels 5+6:
- Mode: choose flat (full range, crossover is bypassed), high pass, low pass, band pass, or Sub
- Sub: when the sub mode is chosen several
- channels 5+6 are mixed to mono
- low pass crossover slope changes to 24 dB/octave
- wired remote is activated
- high pass crossover acts as a subsonic filter
- HP: set the high pass crossover point when using as a high pass, band pass, or subsonic crossover; rotary dial; 10-120 Hz
- LP: set the low pass crossover point when using as a low pass or band pass crossover; rotary dial; 45-1,000 Hz
Wired Remote: A wired subwoofer level control is included. The wired remote is only activated when the channel 5+6 crossover is set to the Sub position. The remote has integrated flanges and screws are included to mount the unit under the dash. It includes a 15' cable to connect to the amplifier.
Note: The wired remote measures approximately 1-5/8" wide (2-5/8" including the mounting flanges) x 3/4" tall x 1-1/2" deep (2-1/8" including the knob and cable).
Front-mounted Terminals: All the connections are on the front of the amplifier for a clean installation.
Power Input: Two set-screw terminals are provided for connecting the power and ground cables. The terminals can accept up to 6-gauge wire (an 8-gauge wiring kit is sufficient for the 60-amp rating of the built-in fuses). The set screws are tightened/loosened with the included 3mm Allen wrench.
Remote Turn-on: The remote turn-on set screw terminal will accept up to 14-gauge wire. The set screw is tightened/loosened with the included 1.5mm Allen wrench.
Speaker Outputs: The six pair of speaker outputs set-screw terminals will accept up to 14-gauge wire. The set screws are tightened/loosened with the included 1.5mm Allen wrench.
Signal Input: The amplifier has three pair of stereo RCA inputs (labeled channels 1+2, 3+4, and 5+6). If no line level signal is available, you will need speaker wire to RCA adaptors (sold separately) to connect the amplifier to the source unit via speaker wires.
Remote Control: An RJ-25 jack for connecting the supplied remote subwoofer control.
Fuses: The amp has three internal 20-amp ATO fuses. The bottom panel must be removed to access the fuses.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Krissy Aug 15, 2014 ] Staff