Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
JVC Arsenal KD-AHD57
Our take on the JVC Arsenal KD-AHD57 by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
Built-in HD Radio™ for digital sound
Your favorite AM/FM stations never sounded so good. The JVC Arsenal KD-AHD57 CD receiver lets you tune into the superior sound quality of digital HD Radio broadcasts. Many stations also take advantage of the multicasting feature, which lets them broadcast additional channels on the same radio frequency, so you have more listening choices. JVC's radio timer ensures you'll never miss your favorite drive-time radio programs — you can program it to automatically switch the receiver to your favorite stations at the times you want.
This JVC Arsenal KD-AHD57 CD receiver brings you the superior sound quality of AM and FM broadcasts from HD Radio stations.
Pandora® Internet Radio and more
JVC makes it easy to play your favorite Pandora stations. Connect your iPhone® via the front-panel USB, and you can skip songs, change stations, and rate songs using the receiver's controls. Meanwhile, the 1-amp USB port charges your device quickly. JVC's Smart Music Control app offers Android users a way to integrate their music libraries into the road tunes. You'll have comprehensive control over your music from the receiver's controls, and you can even search for songs by mood.
Solid suite of sound controls
Whatever you choose to listen to, the KD-AHD57 offers some great ways to tune the sound to your liking. The Pro EQ 3-band parametric equalizer gives you different frequency options for adjusting the bass, midrange, and treble, plus seven preset EQ curves for quick switches. If you're connecting a powered sub, you be able to dial in just the right amount of thump with the receiver's subwoofer level control.
Want to keep your steering wheel controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter (not included) to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this JVC stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the JVC, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. Check the "Accessories" tab for compatible adapters.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility.
Nice product. Man features.
E Wachter, Pittsfield PA
What's in the Box:
- CD receiver (with 10-amp ATC fuse inserted into chassis)
- Face (attached)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RM-RK52)
- CR2025 3V Lithium battery (installed)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Face fixing screw
- Instruction Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- US Warranty Sheet
- Canadian Warranty Card
- "Caution!" note (attached to wiring harness)
- Face Fixing screw note
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (20 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and WAV files
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- Pandora control with iPhone
- JVC Music Control app for control of Android via USB
- detachable face
- remote control
- 3-band parametric equalizer with 7 preset EQ curves
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- low-pass and high-pass filters
- subwoofer level control
- built-in iPod and iPhone control
- compatible with JVC Bluetooth adapter
- inputs: front panel auxiliary and USB inputs
- outputs: 4-channel preamp outputs (2.5-volt front, rear/subwoofer)
JVC Arsenal KD-AHD57 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power Output||20 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Preamp Voltage||2.5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Red|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||11.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio, CD-Text, and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs. The unit also supports playback of MP3/WMA music files loaded onto CD-R/RW discs.
Front-Panel USB Port: The JVC KD-AHD57 features a front-panel USB 2.0 type-A port (behind a sliding cover) connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. The USB port enables audio playback and control of MP3, WMA, & WAV audio files stored on portable USB mass-storage class devices. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On. You cannot connect a USB device via a USB hub or Multi-Card Reader to this unit.
MP3/WMA Playback: The JVC KD-AHD57 supports the following types of MP3, WMA, WAV files recorded onto CD-R/RW disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||CD-R/RW||USB Storage Device|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Romeo, Joliet, or Windows long file name||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||
MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps w/ sampling rate of 8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1,
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||255 folders/65,025 files (255 files per folder)|
|Tags||ID3 tag (version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tag|
Track/Folder List: The Track/Folder List displays a list of MP3/WMA folders and tracks on a loaded CD or USB device, so you can easily access your music. The Track/Folder List will also display the list of track titles on a CD Text disc.
Quick Search: You can search for your MP3 or WMA music tracks alphabetically (A-Z) or numerically (0-9).
Random/Repeat Modes: The JVC KD-AHD57 offers the following Repeat and Random playback modes.
- Repeat: Track Repeat (plays the current track repeatedly), Folder Repeat (plays all tracks of the current folder repeatedly), Off (cancels repeat function)
- Random: Folder Random (plays all tracks of the current folder, then the tracks of the next folder in random), All Random (plays all tracks of the current disc at random), Off (cancels random function)
Resume: If you change the source, playback also stops (without ejecting the disc or USB device). Next time you select CD or USB for the playback source, the player will start from where it has been stopped previously.
JVC Playlist Creator Compatible: JVC Playlist Creator is a free Windows-based desktop software that helps organize, manage and transfer MP3/WMA music files to your USB (MSC) device from your PC. When you playback audio files that have been stored on your USB (MSC) device using JVC Playlist Creator through the KD-AHD57, you can search a file by song title, album name, artist name, or genre using the head unit's Quick Search function. The JVC Playlist Creator is a Windows-based software that can be downloaded for free from JVC's website to your PC. The JVC Playlist Creator is compatible with the following Windows Microsoft Operating Systems.
- Windows XP Professional, Home Edition SP2 or later (32-bit)
- Windows Vista (32/64-bit)
- Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
Note: Not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Zune, or Android
Off Insert/Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback.
Disc Protection: If the ejected disc is not removed within 15 seconds, the disc is automatically inserted again into the loading slot to protect it from dust. The source will change to CD, and the disc will begin playback, even if you have another source selected at the time.
Mounting: For proper disc playback you must install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The JVC KD-AHD57's front-panel USB port can acts as an iPod/iPhone high-speed direct connection when used with the USB/iPod cable that came with your iPod/iPhone. If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5/5C/5S; use the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the head unit. Using either cable allows audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhone models from the JVC in-dash head unit.
- DAC Bypass: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 105dB. The JVC head unit supports audio playback of music, podcasts, audiobooks, and music apps stored on your iPod or iPhone.
- Music Control: You can choose to operate your
iPod/iPhone through the JVC head unit's front-panel controls, from its
clickwheel/touchscreen, or via a streamed app from your iPhone.
- Head Unit: From the head unit's front-panel controls you can search for music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, and Composer. The contents of the Playlist or Category are listed alphabetically (A-Z) or numerically (0-9). The KD-AHD57 also supports Repeat (file/all) and Random (album/all) playback functions of your iPod/iPhone. Your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen is locked in this mode.
- iPod: You can choose to navigate your iPod or iPhone's stored music from its clickwheel or touchscreen, like you are accustomed to during normal usage. The head unit's front-panel iPod controls will remain available.
- External (App Mode): External Mode lets you enjoy audio content from your downloaded music Apps (such as iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, & Slacker streamed to your Apple iPhone, through the JVC KD-AHD57. You will continue to use your iPhone's touchscreen to navigate and view your apps; the head unit will only display the clock and "EXT Mode". The head unit's front-panel iPod controls will be locked. Access to your iPhone's downloaded application will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
- iPod Display: The KD-AHD57 will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information, when in Head Unit and iPod mode (not in External mode), or listening to Pandora Internet Radio. The head unit can display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song title, and Album label.
- iPod Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod Compatibility Chart: The JVC KD-AHD57 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 10/8/2013):
|iPod Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||iTunes Tagging||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod||App mode||Pandora app||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
JVC Music Control (for Android): By connecting the JVC CD receiver via USB to an Android smartphone (OS 2.2+) that has the free JVC Music Control app installed, it allows you to list and search all of the songs stored inside the smartphone from the receiver by artist name or album name. The JVC Smart Music Control app also analyzes all of your songs that are in your Android smartphone, and creates a playlist according to your mood. Once the application has completed the analysis of the songs, simply move the on-screen "mood ball" to your current mood, and this application will generate a list of songs that most fits your mood. Your compatible Android smartphone must be recognized as a USB mass storage class device; not compatible with MTP protocol.
Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: A front-panel stereo minijack is provided to allow the connection of almost any portable audio source with a 3.5mm headphone output (great for those non-Apple/Android devices. Simply connect your portable digital music player to the unit's front-panel auxiliary input, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The unit's front-panel auxiliary input can be turned On or Off.
Built-in HD Radio: With the built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio technology significantly improves audio quality and reception, as well as includes information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. HD Radio Technology will deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo, while FM digital will have CD-like quality sound with static free and clear reception. In addition to HD AM/FM stations, the KD-AHD57 can also receive conventional analog AM/FM broadcasts.
- Digital/Analog Tuning: You can setup the KD-AHD57 to search both analog and digital radio stations, only HD Radio stations, or analog radio stations only. You can store up to 18 FM and 6 AM digital/analog presets stations as presets (HD Radio multicast channels can also be preset). Presets can be set manually or automatically, using Strong-station Sequential Memory (SSM). If an analog FM stereo broadcast is hard to receive, you can manually switch the tuner to Mono operation. You can also switch the analog tuner's IF filter to Wide or Auto to increase/decrease the sensitivity. In addition, you can set the built-in AM/FM tuner between US standard and European tuning spacing.
- Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting, it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8 and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
- Text Display: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. The built-in HD Radio tuner displays song title, artist and station information on the display of the JVC KD-AHD57.
- iTunes Tagging: It is possible to save the song's information (tag) from a HD Radio broadcasting station to your USB-direct connected iPod/iPhone. The songs will show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the next time you sync your iPod/iPhone. Then you can directly buy the songs you want from the iTunes Music Store. You can "tag" up to 50 songs. Your iPod/iPhone must have at least 50MB of free space to "tag" and transfer songs. iTunes 7.4 or later is required to purchase "tagged" songs.
- Radio Timer: You can tune into a preset station at a specific time regardless of the head unit's current source. You can activate the Radio Timer once, daily, or turn it completely off.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Pandora Internet Radio: Pandora is the leading Internet Radio music service in the United States, giving people music they love anytime, anywhere, through personalized radio stations. The JVC KD-AHD57 provides complete access to your Pandora account using your iPhone, via the head unit's front-panel USB port. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS5 or later) with the latest version of the Pandora App from Apple's iTunes App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora music service account. The JVC KD-AHD57 will display Artist, Album, & Song information provided by the Pandora app on your iPhone. The JVC KD-AHD57 will also provide control over the Pandora music service streamed to your USB-connected iPhone.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- Create New Station: New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing on Pandora.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The JVC KD-AHD57 utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The KD-AHD57 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the KD-AHD57 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the KD-AHD57 are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 20 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 total watts)
Amplifier Gain Control: When you are using the KD-AHD57 with factory speakers (or those rated to less than 50 watts peak), the Amplifier Gain Control can limit the amount of power being sent to those speakers. When the Amp Gain Control is set to "low," the volume control ranges from 0 (minimum) to 30 (maximum). When using speakers rated higher than 50 watts peak, you can set the Amp Gain Control to "high," and the volume control will range from 0 to 50.
2.5V/4CH Preamp Output: The KD-AHD57 is equipped with two pair of 2.5V preamp outputs (Front, Rear/SW). You can set the Rear/SW preamp outputs for connecting a pair of full-range rear speakers (through an external amplifier) or for connecting a subwoofer (through an external amplifier). When set for rear speakers, the rear outputs operate with the unit's fader control. When set for subwoofer, the outputs are non-fading.
Subwoofer Controls: When the unit's Rear/SW preamp output is set to Subwoofer, you can set the cutoff frequency of the low-pass filter at 55Hz, 85Hz, or 120Hz. You can adjust the head unit's subwoofer level between -8 and +8 (separate from the main volume level).
Pro EQ: The KD-AHD57 is equipped with JVC's Pro EQ. The integrated equalizer offers 7 preset sound modes (Flat, Natural, Dynamic, Vocal Boost, Bass Boost, & User) suitable for the music genre of your choice. The User mode allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 3-band parametric EQ (Frequency, Level, and Q-Factor).
|Bass||60, 80, 100, 200 Hz||+/- 12 dB (-6 to +6)||1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 2.0|
|Midrange||0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 kHz||+/- 12 dB (-6 to +6)||0.75, 1.0, 1.25|
|Treble||10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5 kHz||+/- 12 dB (-6 to +6)||Fixed|
Note: You can store Pro EQ bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (CD, AM/FM, Aux, USB, iPod, Bluetooth, and Pandora).
Bass Boost: The unit's Bass Boost enhances low bass frequencies.
Loud (Loudness): This feature boosts low and high frequencies to produce a well-balanced sound at a low volume level. You can set this feature to High, Low, or Off.
Volume Adjust: The input level of each source (other than FM) is adjustable relative to the FM radio volume, so there isn't a significant volume difference when changing sources. Each source is individually adjustable from -5 to +5.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Detachable Face: The JVC KD-AHD57 features a detachable face to deter theft. No face-case is provided. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
LCD: The head unit features a 14-segment, one-line LCD with adjustable brightness and dimmer settings.
Brightness: The unit offers an adjustable display and button illumination brightness level (0-31) for day and nighttime driving.
Display/Button Illumination Dimmer: The display/button illumination dimmer can be set to Off (normal brightness at all times), On (display/button illumination is always dimmed), or Auto (display dims when 12-volts is applied to the orange/white illumination lead).
Wireless Remote Control: The KD-AHD57 comes supplied with a wireless remote control (RM-RK52). The remote contains Attenuator, Sound, Source, Tracking, and Volume functions. The remote operates off of a single CR2025 3V Lithium-cell battery (included).
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Optional Bluetooth: The JVC KS-BTA100 Bluetooth Adapter (105KSTBA10, sold separately) provides Bluetooth hands-free communication and digital audio streaming functions for the JVC KD-AHD57. The JVC KS-BTA100 gives you hands-free communication from your compatible Bluetooth mobile phone and wireless streaming audio from a Bluetooth enabled digital audio player, when connected to the JVC in-dash head unit. The JVC Bluetooth Adapter includes a super-sensitive microphone, an Answer/End button, and playback controls. The JVC KD-AHD57 can be set to automatically mute any music audio to your vehicle's speakers so you can listen to your telephone call using your car speakers.
Note: Not all Bluetooth devices will be compatible. Visit the JVC Mobile Entertainment Bluetooth Support Page for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled devices.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
3 questions already asked
It does charge my phone....but it won't an iPhone or other high current USB device. I haven't seen a spec, but I would guess the current is limited to .5amp or 1amp at the most. 2.1amp required for most high power devices. [ WILLIAM Aug 15, 2014 ]
I'm super happy with that radiusIt ,,,was very easy to installI little English that I think a 5 year old children can do [ JEFFRY Aug 15, 2014 ]
Yes it will charge your phone [ MIKE Aug 14, 2014 ]
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Krissy Jun 07, 2014 ] Staff
9 answers Does this model have a full time clock feature? I bought a Clarion receiver from Crutchfield & never thought about the clock, that only stays visible for about a minute. I have to hit a button about 5 or 6 times in order to get to the clock function, and then it only lasts about 60 seconds. [ jim Jan 15, 2014 ]
I toggled through the screens and stopped at the date / clock. Left it on for the trip and it did not change. I also stopped, turned off the key, turned the key back on and the radio returned to the date and time again. Hope this helps. dan [ DANIEL J Jan 19, 2014 ]
Hi Jim, Can't speak on the Clarion, but I can on the JVC. The Arsenal clock can be programmed to stay on in the settings feature under CLOCK. Check Crutchfield or JVC websites for manuals if you are not sure how to go about doing this? [ JOHN Jan 17, 2014 ]
You can switch the display to full time clock. I usually have it set to display the title and artist info though. [ ALAN Jan 17, 2014 ]
Thanks William. [ jim Jan 17, 2014 ]
You can set the display to one of several options such as RDS display, Track Title, Time Remaining/Elapsed, or Day/Time. It will keep which ever one you decide to leave it on. [ WILLIAM Jan 17, 2014 ]
Thanks for the response Francisco V. [ jim Jan 17, 2014 ]
Thanks MB. That would be better than what I have now. A clock for 30-60 seconds. [ jim Jan 17, 2014 ]
You can switch display modes on the radio (clock, station, song, etc.) and the mode will stay selected. However, only one mode at a time can be displayed, so if you are displaying the clock, you can't see the station #. [ M Jan 16, 2014 ]
Yes it does have a full time clock feature. You just need to set it up to show the clock all the time. [ FRANCISCO Jan 16, 2014 ]