Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Digital media receiver
Our take on the JVC KD-X210 by Crutchfield's Jon Paulette
A digital dynamo
If you're ready to toss that bulky album full of scratched-up CDs and go digital, JVC's KD-X210 digital media receiver offers an impressive array of features for its price range, along with plenty of connections for all your devices. The "short body" design means it can fit into a wide variety of cars and trucks, not to mention vehicles like certain golf carts and ATVs.
Ready for your iPhone®
Plug your iPod® or iPhone into the front USB port and enjoy complete control, not to mention faster charging. The KD-X210's built-in iPod controls let you access your playlists intuitively. If you're a Pandora® or iHeartRadio user, you can connect your iPhone® and access basic functions like "play," "pause," "thumbs-up," and "thumbs-down" with the receiver's controls. For added convenience, the 2-way control feature lets you pick your music using the receiver or the phone itself.
This digital media receiver will not play CDs. If you want to play CDs in your vehicle, we offer a wide selection of CD receivers.
Great for Android phones, too
With the JVC Music Control app, you can get more from your music when you connect your Android smartphone (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only) via USB. List and search stored MP3 music by artist or album, or let the app analyze your songs and create a playlist that suits your mood.
Do more with your USB connection
The powerful 1A USB port lets you keep a smartphone charged while it's performing many battery-draining tasks at once. With your smartphone connected, you can use Drive Change Mode to listen to the internal memory as one source and access its little microSD card as another. You can also make a mix at home, save it to a thumb drive, and plug it into the USB drive. The KD-X210 plays MP3, WMA, WAV, and FLAC files, and they'll all sound great, thanks to the 24-bit digital audio converter (DAC).
Build a better system
If you're planning to expand your car audio system in the future, the KD-X210 includes rear 2.5-volt preamp outputs that you can switch over to subwoofer mode. You can also add Bluetooth® connectivity with an optional adapter. A front aux input lets you hook up other gear, like a Dock & Play satellite radio.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
I bought this receiver to upgrade a stock stereo in my '02 Explorer. I didn't need a CD player, just something to plug my phone into. This receiver did the trick. Easy to install, pretty easy to set up, sounds great!
What's in the Box:
- Digital media receiver (10A fuse)
- Face (attached)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RM-RK52)
- CR2025 3V Lithium battery (installed)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Face-fixing screw
- Instruction Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty Information
- "Caution!" note (attached to wiring harness)
- Face-fixing screw note
- digital media receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- detachable face with single-line display and red illumination
- USB 1A connection charges devices quicker
- built-in iPod control; 2-way iPod/iPhone control
- control PANDORA® and iHeart Radio from your iPhone
- MP3/WMA/WAV/FLAC compatible
- separated brightness control for LCD and button illumination
- auto dimmer
- remote control
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- low-pass filters
- Pro EQ with 7 presets and 3-band parametric equalizer
- compatible with JVC's KS-BTA100 Bluetooth adapter
- inputs: front USB 1A port, front auxiliary input
- outputs: 2-channel preamp outputs (2.5-volt rear/sub)
Other features and specs:
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
JVC KD-X210 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power Output||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Preamp Voltage||2.5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Red|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8.2 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
USB Port: The JVC KD-X210 features a front-panel USB 2.0 type-A port (behind a sliding cover) connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. The USB port enables audio playback and control of MP3, WMA, WAV, and FLAC audio files stored on portable USB mass-storage class devices.
Note: When a mass-storage class (MSC) compatible smartphone is connected to the head unit's USB input, you can select its internal memory or external memory (such as a SD-card) for stored music playback.
Compressed Music Files: The JVC KD-X210 supports the following types of MP3, WMA, WAV, and FLAC music files loaded onto a compatible USB mass storage class device.
|File System||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||MP3:
bit rate of 8-320kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz
WAV: bit rate of 16-bit w/ sampling rate of 44.1 kHz
FLAC: bit rate of 16-bit w/ sampling rate of 8-48 kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||999 folders/20,480 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||ID3 tag (version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tag|
Track/Folder List: The Track/Folder List displays a list of MP3/WMA folders and tracks on a connected USB memory device, so you can easily access your music.
Playback Modes: In addition to Normal playback, you can select from Repeat and Random playback modes.
- Repeat: Track Repeat (plays the current track repeatedly), Folder Repeat (plays all tracks of the current folder repeatedly), Off (cancels repeat function)
- Random: Folder Random (plays all tracks of the current folder, then the tracks of the next folder in random), All Random (plays all tracks of the current USD device at random), Off (cancels random function)
Resume: If you change the source, playback also stops, without ejecting the USB device. Next time you select USB for the playback source, the player will start from where it has been stopped previously.
USB Charging: USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
JVC Playlist Creator Compatible: JVC Playlist Creator is a free Windows-based desktop software that helps organize, manage and transfer MP3/WMA music files to your USB (MSC) device from your PC. When you playback audio files that have been stored on your USB (MSC) device using JVC Playlist Creator through the KD-X210, you can search a file by song title, album name, artist name, or genre using the head unit's Quick Search function. The JVC Playlist Creator is a Windows-based software that can be downloaded for free from JVC's website to your PC. The JVC Playlist Creator is compatible with the following Windows Microsoft Operating Systems.
- Windows XP Professional, Home Edition SP2 or later (32-bit)
- Windows Vista (32/64-bit)
- Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
Note: Not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Zune, or Android
Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: A front-panel stereo minijack is provided to allow the connection of almost any portable audio source with a 3.5mm headphone output (great for those non-Apple/Android devices). Simply connect your portable digital music player to the unit's front-panel auxiliary input, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The unit's front-panel auxiliary input can be turned On or Off.
Android Compatible: The JVC KD-X210 supports USB-connection and playback of Android smartphones with Froyo or Gingerbread operating systems installed.
- JVC Music Control: By connecting the JVC receiver via USB to an Android smartphone (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only) that has the free JVC Music Control app installed, it allows you to list and search your MP3 music stored on the smartphone from the receiver by artist name or album name. The JVC Music Control app also analyzes all of your songs that are in your Android smartphone, and creates a playlist according to your mood. Once the application has completed the analysis of the songs, simply select your current mood, and this application will generate a list of songs that best fits your mood. Your compatible Android smartphone must be recognized as a USB mass storage class device; not compatible with MTP protocol.
- Drive Change Mode: When an Android smartphone is connected to the USB input terminal, you can select its internal memory or external memory (such as an microSD card) to playback the songs stored on the phone or on the memory card. This feature is also compatible with other USB mass storage class compliant smartphones, such as Blackberry. You can also change drives (up to 5) on multi-drive devices, such as multi-card readers and USB hubs.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity w/ DAC Bypass: The JVC KD-X210's front-panel USB port can acts as an iPod/iPhone high-speed direct connection when used with the Lightning or Dock cable that came with your iPod/iPhone. The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music and music apps to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 105dB. The KD-X210's USB connection also offers music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhone models from the JVC in-dash head unit. You can choose to operate your iPod/iPhone through the JVC head unit's front-panel controls or from your Apple device's clickwheel/touchscreen.
- Head Unit Mode: From the head unit's front-panel controls you can search for stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, and Composer. The contents of a Playlist or Category can be searched alphabetically (A-Z) or numerically (0-9). The KD-X210 also supports Repeat (file/all) and Random (album/all) playback functions of your iPod/iPhone. You'll also be able to control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) from select music apps streamed to your iPhone. During Head Unit Mode, the KD-X210 will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information; such as Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song title, and Album label. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ allow you to continue to access your Apple device's touchscreen in this mode in order to access other applications; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- iPod/iPhone Mode: The iPod/iPhone Mode lets you control your older iPod/iPhone (iOS 5.1.1 and earlier) from its clickwheel or touchscreen. You'll still have access to basic playback controls (like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track) from the head unit, but advanced navigation functions will be locked. No song/artist information is displayed in this mode. The unit will simply display "iPhone Mode".
Note: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod Compatibility Chart: The JVC KD-X210 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 9/29/2014):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora/iHeart Radio||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
RDS AM/FM Tuner : The JVC KD-X210 features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- Presets: You can store a total of 18 FM stations presets and 6 AM station presets (manually or automatically).
- Radio Timer: The head unit's Radio Timer features lets you tune into a preset station at a specific time regardless of the head unit's current source (you can activate the Radio Timer once, daily, or turn it completely off).
- Mono Switch: If an analog FM stereo broadcast is hard to receive, you can manually switch the tuner to Mono operation.
- IF Filter: You can also switch the tuner's IF filter to Wide or Auto to increase/decrease the sensitivity.
Note: You can set the built-in AM/FM tuner to US standard or European tuning.
Internet Radio Apps (for iPhone): The JVC KD-X210 allows you to access Pandora and iHeartRadio online music services through your USB-connected iPhone. Your Apple iPhone must be connected to the KD-X210 via the Lightning or Dock cable supplied with your iPhone. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi.
- Pandora App: The Pandora App (free) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the JVC KD-X210 using your connected Apple iPhone, via the the cable supplied with your iPhone. The JVC KD-X210 provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your station list and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up/thumbs down and bookmark them on your Pandora account. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) with the latest version of the Pandora application from Apple's iTunes App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account.
- iHeartRadio Link: The free iHeartRadio Link app for JVC from lets you play music from the iHeartRadio music service through the JVC KD-X210 using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+). The iHeartRadio music service provides access to more than 1,500 live radio stations from coast-to-coast (including pop, country, urban, rock, talk, and sports). The KD-X210 will provide control over the iHeartRadio Link app, as well as display station identification and song/artist information. From the head unit's front-panel controls, iHeartRadio stations can be searched by the following categories (Local, Genre, City, or My Stations). The Local selection provides a list of radio stations in your local listening area. The unit also provides over 22 Genres to choose from (including pop, country, hip-hop, jazz, etc.) to help you find the right radio station for you. In addition, you can search for radio stations by City. Cities can be searched alphabetically (A-Z). You can even store your favorite stations (My Stations) for easier, quicker access. An active iHeartRadio account is required.
Note: Access to the Pandora and iHeartRadio services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The JVC KD-X210 utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The JVC KD-X210 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the KD-X210 are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 total watts)
Amplifier Gain Control: When you are using the KD-X210 with factory speakers (or those rated to less than 50 watts peak), the Amplifier Gain Control can limit the amount of power being sent to those speakers. When the Amp Gain Control is set to "low," the volume control ranges from 0 (minimum) to 30 (maximum). When using speakers rated higher than 50 watts peak, you can set the Amp Gain Control to "high," and the volume control will range from 0 to 50.
2.5V/2CH Preamp Output: The KD-X210 is equipped with two 2.5V preamp outputs (Rear/SW). You can set the Rear/SW preamp outputs for connecting a pair of full-range rear speakers (through an external amplifier) or for connecting a subwoofer (through an external amplifier). When set for rear speakers, the rear outputs operate with the unit's fader control. When set for subwoofer, the outputs are non-fading.
Subwoofer Controls: When the unit's Rear/SW preamp output is set to Subwoofer, you can set the cutoff frequency of the low-pass filter at 55Hz, 85Hz, or 120Hz. You can adjust the head unit's subwoofer level between -8 and +8 (separate from the main volume level).
Pro EQ: The KD-X210 is equipped with JVC's Pro EQ. The integrated equalizer offers 7 preset sound modes (Flat, Natural, Dynamic, Vocal Boost, Bass Boost, & User) suitable for the music genre of your choice. The User mode allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 3-band parametric EQ (Frequency, Level, and Q-Factor).
|Bass||60, 80, 100, 200 Hz||+/- 12 dB (-6 to +6)||1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 2.0|
|Midrange||0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 kHz||+/- 12 dB (-6 to +6)||0.75, 1.0, 1.25|
|Treble||10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5 kHz||+/- 12 dB (-6 to +6)||Fixed|
Note: You can store Pro EQ bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (Tuner, Aux, USB, iPod, and Pandora/iHeartRadio).
Sound Enhancements: The head unit provides further sound enhancements for your car audio system.
- Digital Track Expander: The digital Track Expander automatically enhances compressed music files and restores the original richness of the recording.
- Bass Boost: The unit's Bass Boost enhances low bass frequencies.
- Loud (Loudness): This feature boosts low and high frequencies to produce a well-balanced sound at a low volume level. You can set this feature to High, Low, or Off.
- Volume Adjust: The input level of each source (other than FM) is adjustable relative to the FM radio volume, so there isn't a significant volume difference when changing sources. Each source is individually adjustable from -5 to +5.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Detachable Face: The JVC KD-X210 features a detachable face to deter theft. No face-case is provided. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
Single-Line LCD w/ Fixed Illumination: The head unit features a 11-segment, one-line LCD with white back-lit text and red button illumination (fixed). Adjustable brightness and dimmer settings are available for the LCD and button illumination.
- Brightness: The unit offers a daytime and nighttime brightness settings for the LCD and button illumination. You can adjust the brightness level of each manually from 0-31.
- Dimmer: The unit's dimmer control can be set automatically or manually; select "Off" for daytime brightness setting, "On" for nighttime brightness setting, or "Auto" which switches between day and nighttime brightness setting automatically when you turn off/on the headlights (orange/white wire of harness must be connected to headlamp circuit).
Day & Time: The unit displays a 12-or 24-hour clock, as well as the day (Sun/Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat). The day & time can be selected to remain on, even if the head unit is switched off (as long as the vehicle's key is in the accessory or start position).
Demo Mode: This unit features a Demo mode which can be turned On or Off within the menu.
Wireless Remote Control: The KD-X210 comes supplied with a wireless remote control (RM-RK52). The remote contains Attenuator, Sound, Source, Tracking, and Volume functions. The remote operates off of a single CR2025 3V Lithium-cell battery (included).
Optional Bluetooth: The JVC KS-BTA100 Bluetooth Adapter (105KSTBA10, sold separately) provides Bluetooth hands-free communication and digital audio streaming functions for the JVC KD-X210. The JVC KS-BTA100 gives you hands-free communication from your compatible Bluetooth mobile phone and wireless streaming audio from a Bluetooth enabled digital audio player, when connected to the JVC in-dash head unit. The JVC Bluetooth Adapter includes a super-sensitive microphone, an Answer/End button, and playback controls. The JVC KD-X210 can be set to automatically mute any music audio to your vehicle's speakers so you can listen to your telephone call using your car speakers.
Note: Not all Bluetooth devices will be compatible. Visit the JVC Mobile Entertainment Bluetooth Support Page for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled devices.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
by Video Team
JVC's 2014 digital media receivers are great for everyone who uses their smartphone as their main source of music, and they work great with popular music apps.
3 questions already asked
The ability to retain steering wheel controls with aftermarket receivers will be determined by the receiver you are using and the vehicle you have. For full information on this type of integration (including the parts you will need) please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Dec 22, 2014 ] Staff
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Dec 05, 2014 ] Staff
You may already have your answer considering that you asked the question four months ago but I want to include 'the' answer for anyone else that might view this and be curious. According to the manual for this receiver: "You cannot connect a USB device via a USB hub". Essentially it's a little more 'programming' that goes into the receiver but is often used as a feature to sell a higher tier receiver. I believe that in my search I found a comparable receiver roughly in the same price range that could do as you ask but I cannot recall which at the moment. Sorry! [ Christopher-Michael Jun 25, 2014 ]
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Jeff Feb 28, 2014 ] Staff