Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
CES Spotlight: JVC 1Amp power supply
CES Spotlight: JVC Smart Remote
From JVC: Drive Change Mode
From JVC: Separated Variable Color Display
From JVC: Smart Music Control/Remote App-CR
From JVC: Smart Remote for Android
Our take on the JVC KW-R900BT by Crutchfield's Zak Billmeier
Big face, awesome display
You won't lack for song info with JVC's KW-R900BT CD receiver. It fills your double-DIN (4" tall) dash opening opening, giving you an easy-to-read 4-line display, ultra-big buttons, and a control knob that's really easy to grab. You can set different colors for the display and controls — with 30,000 hues on tap, you'll definitely find a scheme that looks good in your dash.
Hands-free calling & music streaming
Of course, Bluetooth lets you talk hands-free in the car, but now you can pair up your iPhone, Android™ smartphone, or Blackberry™ to get some sweet functionality. For example, you'll be able to receive text message notification, stream music, or access Internet radio stations, depending on your phone's features. JVC's Android app also lets you control some receiver functions using swipes and gestures.
There's no need to choose between pairing your personal and business phones. When a call comes in, the receiver will blink either blue or red, so you'll know at a glance if your call is coming from home or the office. To answer a call, just tap the volume knob. To call out, you can bring up the QWERTY keyboard on the screen, then type in the name of the person you want to contact, and the receiver will find it in your phonebook.
Great for iPod®, plus control Pandora®
Once you plug your iPod or iPhone® into the convenient front-panel USB input, you can use the KW-R900BT's oversized knob and buttons to navigate your music library. And with your iPhone connected, you can play your Pandora® Internet Radio stations from your dash, and even skip and rate songs like you do online.
Higher-power USB connection
JVC upped the power in their USB port, which lets you keep your smartphone charged, even when it's doing several tasks at once. And with your smartphone connected, you can listen to its internal memory as one source and access the little microSD card as another.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter (see "Accessories") to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this JVC stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the JVC, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
Good amenities for the price.
What's in the Box:
- Double-DIN AM/FM CD receiver (with 10-amp ATC fuse inserted into chassis)
- Sleeve (installed with 4 screws)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- KS-UBT1 USB Bluetooth adapter (installed in rear USB port)
- Microphone with integrated bracketed (attached 12' cable terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector)
- Wireless remote control (RM-RK52)
- CR2025 3V Lithium battery (installed)
- 8 Pan head ISO-mount machine screws (M5 x 8mm)
- 4 Flat head ISO-mount machine screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Instructions (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Installation/Connection Manual (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- US Warranty Sheet
- Canadian Warranty Card
- Product Registration Card/Questionnaire
- "Caution!" note (attached to wiring harness)
- USB Bluetooth Adapter instructions
- "The countries where you may use the Bluetooth function" note
- "USB Caution" note
- CD receiver with built-in MOSFET amplifier (20 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- included Bluetooth adapter for hands-free calling, music streaming, and app control
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA files
- adjustable illumination (you can select different colors for the display and controls)
- fits double-DIN (4"-tall) dash openings
- remote control
- built-in iPod and iPhone controls
- 5-band equalizer
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- subwoofer level control
- inputs: front and rear USB inputs, front auxiliary input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, sub)
JVC KW-R900BT Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power Output||20 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
Burr-Brown 24-bit D/A Converter: The JVC KW-R900BT CD receiver utilizes a premium TI/Burr-Brown 24-bit digital-to-analog converter for superior sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The KW-R900BT is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the KW-R900BT are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the KW-R900BT are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 20 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 total watts)
5V/6CH Preamp Output: The KW-R900BT is equipped with three pair of 5V gold-plated preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The front & rear preamp outputs offer balance/fade control and are designed to hookup to a full-range 4-channel amplifier. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading and designed to hookup to a mono-block subwoofer amplifier. You can adjust the head unit's subwoofer level between 0 and 8, as well as the subwoofer phase (normal/reverse).
Amplifier Gain Control: When you are using the KW-R900BT with factory speakers (or those rated to less than 50 watts peak), the Amplifier Gain Control can limit the amount of power being sent to those speakers. When the Amp Gain Control is set to "low," the volume control ranges from 0 (minimum) to 30 (maximum). When using speakers rated higher than 50 watts peak, you can set the Amp Gain Control to "high," and the volume control will range from 0 to 50.
Volume Adjust: The input level of each source (other than FM) is adjustable relative to the FM radio volume, so there isn't a significant volume difference when changing sources. Each source is individually adjustable from -5 to +5.
My Sound EQ: The My Sound EQ features lets you customize your car audio system's sound by listening to test tones in five frequencies (All, Low, Middle, Middle-High, High), each represented by a different type of instrument. You can adjust the level of each frequency between -9 to +9. You can save up to 3 My Sound EQ Profiles (Sound 1/2/3) for easy recall. You can also download sample music (instruments) in various genres for the My Sound EQ function from the JVC mobile website onto a USB thumbdrive.
5-Band EQ (with Presets): You can select a preset sound mode suitable for your music. You can select from Flat, Natural, Dynamic, Vocal, Bass, or User. The User mode lets you customize the head unit's 5-band EQ (50Hz, 200Hz, 800hz, 3.2kHz, 12.5kHz) from +/-9dB.
Source Link EQ: This feature allows you to store the head unit's Preset EQ or 5-band EQ settings for each source (CD, AM/FM, Aux, USB, iPod, Bluetooth, and Pandora).
DSP Control: In order to optimize the sound quality, you can use the head unit's DSP control to set the type of vehicle, your seated position, and speaker size, distance, & x-over points. The DSP settings include the following:
- Car Type: You can choose what type of vehicle you have; Compact, Sedan (medium), Sedan (large), SUV, SUV (small), X'over, Truck, Wagon, Minivan, or Van.
- Seated Position: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front.
- Time Alignment: You can manually fine tune the sound stage by selecting the distance for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position. You can select between 1.6-16.4' for the Left Front Speaker, Right Front Speaker, Left Rear Speaker, Right Rear Speaker, and Subwoofer.
- Speaker Crossover: You can choose between an Easy
crossover setup or Pro (custom) crossover setup for your audio system.
- Easy: The speaker X'over is automatically set when
the size of each speaker is select from the following items.
- Front/Rear: select from full-range, 4", 5-1/4", 6-1/2", 6-3/4", 7", 4x6", 5x7", 6x8", 6x9", or 7x10"
- Subwoofer: select from full-range, 6-1/2", 8", 10", 12", or 15" + over
- Pro (Custom): The JVC head unit offers a high-pass
crossover for the front & rear speaker/preamp channels and a low-pass
crossover for the unit's subwoofer preamp output.
- High-Pass Crossover (Front/Rear): variable high-pass filter (30-200Hz) and crossover slope (-12/-18/-24 dB per octave); frequencies lower than the selected frequency are cut-off from the front and rear speakers
- Low-Pass Crossover (Subwoofer): variable low-pass filter (30-200Hz)and crossover slope (-12/-18/-24 dB per octave); frequencies lower than the selected frequency are sent to the subwoofer.
- Easy: The speaker X'over is automatically set when the size of each speaker is select from the following items.
D.T. Expander (Digital Track Expander): The Digital Track Expander feature compensates for harsh high frequency sound in compressed digital tracks. The Digital Track Expander effect can be used for MP3/WMA (64-128 kbps) audio files and iPod/iPhone music files.
Loud (Loudness): This feature boosts low and high frequencies to produce a well-balanced sound at a low volume level. The Loudness features has four settings (1, 2, 3, or off).
Key-Touch Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
USB Bluetooth Adapter: The JVC KW-R900BT comes supplied with a USB Bluetooth Adapter (KS-UBT1) which is pre-installed into the head unit's rear-panel USB input, making the KW-R900BT Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR certified. The KW-R900BT supports Bluetooth hands-free communication and wireless audio streaming. The USB Bluetooth Adapter (KS-UBT1) must remain plugged into the rear-panel USB port, or can also be installed in the head unit's front-panel USB port.
Bluetooth Technology: Bluetooth is a two-way wireless communication system allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, as well as wirelessly stream audio from your Bluetooth enabled portable music player using the JVC in-dash multimedia receiver. Bluetooth wireless technology operates on a 2.4GHZ frequency band within a range of approximately 10 meters (about 33 feet).
Bluetooth Profiles: In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), OPP (Object Push Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Pairing: Your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone or digital audio player must be paired with KW-R900BT before hands-free & wireless operation. You can register up to five Bluetooth enabled devices with the JVC head unit. You can keep two phones connected at all times (only one can be used during a call).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the JVC head unit. See JVC's Bluetooth compatibility chart for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled devices.
External Microphone: The JVC KW-R900BT includes an external microphone to carry on your side of your phone conversation and voice command dialing. The external wired microphone offers improved audio quality versus an integrated microphone, so you can be heard easier over noisy traffic and road noise. You can adjust the level of the microphone without affecting the other sources. The external microphone features an attached 12' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone offers an integrated mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash. The external microphone measures 0.525" (diameter) x 1.485" (depth). This unit does not offer an integrated front-panel microphone.
Bluetooth Hands-Free Communication: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The front-panel controls of the KW-R900BT can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also features an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers (front or all). During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering A Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker, the head unit's display will flash (Ring Color), and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. You can answer the call from the KW-R900BT's front-panel controls, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call. You can adjust the head unit's ring color from the unit's 29 preset colors or 30,000 custom colors.
- Dialing A Number: Using the KW-R900BT, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 32 digits from the head unit's front-panel rotary dial.
- Speed Dialing: You can store up to 6 contacts in the memory of this head unit for speed dialing.
- Phone Book: You can dial by using the downloaded phone book. You can download phone book data from your cell phone to the KW-R900BT. If you phonebook contains a lot of contact numbers, you fast search (+/-10, 100, or 1000) through the phonebook by using the unit's control dial. You can also do an A-Z search to scroll the downloaded phonebook. Up to 5,000 numbers can be stored for each registered cell phone. Each number can be up to 32 digits long.
- Call Log: The Call Log is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls (up to 50 each).
- Voice Dialing: If your mobile phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone.
Message Notice: The JVC KW-R900BT will ring and display "RCV Message" to alert you of an incoming text message from your connected Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. You will still need to view the text message from your phone, as well as create and send text messages from your phone.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The JVC KW-R900BT also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The KW-R900BT will be able to control basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music; such as Play/Pause, Skip Next/Previous, and Fast Forward/Rewind. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Song/Album title and Artist name. The KW-R900BT also supports audio streaming of music apps (such as iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, & Slacker), but without control or metadata. You will continue to use your Bluetooth enabled smartphone to view and control streaming music apps.
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Pandora Internet Radio Control: The JVC KW-R900BT CD receiver lets you playback and control the Pandora Internet Radio music service that is being streamed to your Apple iPhone, Android smartphone, or BlackBerry. While providing control over the Pandora music service, the KW-R900BT also displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your station list; you can sort the station list by date or alphabetically (A-Z). You can also skip song tracks within a station. In addition, you can also give songs a thumbs up/down and bookmark songs/artists.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet.Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
Pandora App for iPhone: The JVC KW-R900BT lets you playback and control Pandora Internet Radio streamed to your connected Apple iPhone, via the USB/iPod connector cable (included with your iPhone). To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0 or later) with the latest version of the Pandora App from the Apple's iTunes App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account.
Pandora via Android or BlackBerry: The JVC KW-R900BT also lets you playback and control Pandora Internet Radio streamed from your Android or BlackBerry smartphone, via Bluetooth (no hard-wired connection required). Your Android or BlackBerry smartphone must have the latest version of the Pandora App from the Android Market or the BlackBerry App World. Your Android or BlackBerry smartphone must also be Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP/SPP certified and will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora music service account.
Dual USB Ports: The JVC KW-R900BT features a front-panel USB 2.0 type-A port (behind a sliding cover) and a rear-panel USB 2.0 type-A port (attached to a 45" pigtail) for connection of USB mass-storage class device; ssuch as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. The USB ports enable audio playback and control of MP3, WMA, & WAV audio files stored on portable USB mass-storage class devices. Both of the USB terminals can be connected to USB devices at the same time. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On. You cannot connect a USB device via a USB hub or Multi-Card Reader to this unit.
Note: The rear-panel USB port comes with the KS-UBT1 Bluetooth adapter installed. The this Bluetooth adapter must remain installed for Bluetooth functionality. It can be removed to allow connection of a second USB (MSC) device.
Drive Change Mode (for BlackBerry and Android): JVC's Drive Change Mode lets you connect your Android or BlackBerry smartphone (that uses an external memory card) directly to the head unit, via USB. Drive Change Mode will let you switch between your Android or BlackBerry smartphone's internal and external memory (such as microSD Card), so you can listen to music stored on either memory. You'll continue to be able control basic playback functions; such as folder/file search, play/pause, and skip next/previous; regardless of memory type.
Playable Files: The JVC KW-R900BT supports the following types of MP3/WMA/WAV files loaded onto a USB mass storage class device. The USB device must be formatted in FAT 12/16/32. The CD receiver can support up to a total of 20,000 files and 2,000 folders (999 files per folder).
|File Type||File Extension||Bit Rate||Sampling Frequency||Tags|
|MP3||.mp3||8-320 kbps||16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 kHz||ID3 tag (version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4)|
|WMA||.wma||5-320 kbps||8-48 kHz||WMA tag|
|WAV||.wav||705 or 1411 kbps||44.1 kHz||N/A|
ID3/WMA Tags: The unit also supports ID3 and WMA tags for display of album and artist information. The unit can display up to 128 characters.
Track/Folder List: The Track/Folder List displays a list of MP3/WMA/WAV folders and tracks on a connected USB memory device, so you can easily access your music.
Quick Search: You can search for your MP3, WMA, or WAV music tracks alphabetically (A-Z) or numerically (0-9).
Playback Modes: In addition to Normal playback, you can select from Repeat and Random playback modes.
- Repeat: Track Repeat (plays the current track repeatedly), Folder Repeat (plays all tracks of the current folder repeatedly), Off (cancels repeat function)
- Random: Folder Random (plays all tracks of the current folder, then the tracks of the next folder in random), All Random (plays all tracks of the current USD device at random), Off (cancels random function)
USB Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected USB mass storage class device when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position.
Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: A front-panel stereo minijack is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Simply connect your portable digital music player to the unit's front-panel auxiliary input, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The unit's front-panel auxiliary input can be turned On or Off.
Optional Input Adapter: An optional Line Input Adapter (120JVAIRCA, sold separately) may be used to provide an additional auxiliary audio input on this unit. This feature allows you to connect a portable audio player, such as a portable MP3 player, to this unit as an additional audio source. The adapter connects to the proprietary J-port on the rear-chassis of the head unit.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The JVC KW-R900BT's front-panel or rear-panel USB port can acts as an iPod/iPhone high-speed direct connection when used with the USB/iPod cable that came with your iPod/iPhone. An additional iPod cable is available so you can leave one at home and one in the car. Using an iPod cable allows audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhone models from the JVC in-dash head unit.
iPod DAC Bypass: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 102dB. The JVC head unit supports audio playback of music, podcasts, audiobooks, and music apps stored on your iPod or iPhone.
iPod/iPhone Control: You can choose to operate your iPod/iPhone through the JVC head unit's front-panel controls, from its clickwheel/touchscreen, or via a streamed app from your iPhone.
- Head Unit: From the head unit's front-panel controls you can search for music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, and Audiobooks. Once a Playlist or Category is selected, you can search for your iPod's music alphabetically (A-Z) or numerically (0-9). The KW-R900BT also supports Repeat (file/all) and Random (album/all) playback functions of your iPod/iPhone.
- iPod: You can choose to navigate your iPod or iPhone's stored music from its clickwheel or touchscreen, like you are accustomed to during normal usage.
- External (App Mode): External Mode lets you enjoy audio content from your downloaded music Apps (such as iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, & Slacker streamed to your Apple iPhone, through the JVC KW-R900BT. You will continue to use your iPhone's touchscreen to navigate and view your apps; the head unit will only display the clock and "EXT Mode".
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded application will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
iPod Display: The KW-R900BT will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information, when in Head Unit and iPod mode (not in External mode), or listening to Pandora Internet Radio. The head unit can display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song title, and Album label.
Auto Drive Router App: Auto Drive Router is a free JVC app from iTunes for your iPhone (iOS 4.2 or later). This app can be controlled from the JVC KW-R900BT, when your iPhone is connected to the head unit's USB port. Auto Drive Router lets you record your traveled routes and store recorded data on your iPhone, using Google Maps. E-mails with map data can also be sent quickly and easily from your iPhone, letting others know where you are or where you want to meet. You can start and stop when Auto Driver Router records your routes using the in-dash CD receiver's controls. You can also send an email template to your predetermined contacts directly from the receiver's controls. You can do all this while still listening to stored music or streamed music from your iPhone on the JVC KW-R900BT.
- Drive Data: This function allows you to record routes and store them as data in your iPhone, enabling you to easily retrieve data just by selecting a route from the Saved Route List. When data is called up on your iPhone, the route being taken will be shown as a single line on the map in different colors to indicate how fast you were traveling. It is also possible to zoom in and out of maps on your iPhone, as well as see the speed and altitude of routes in a graph format on the iPhone's touchscreen. By connecting an iPhone with this app installed to the KW-R900BT, you can record routes via the control knobs and buttons of the in-dash head unit.
- Here I AM: When you select the "Here I Am" function on the Auto Drive Router app, a flag showing "Here I Am?" will appear on the on-screen Google Map of your iPhone to indicate your current location. And by using a default template, an e-mail will also be created instantaneously for delivery of the map to multiple recipients. The flag can also be placed in different locations on the on-screen map of the iPhone with the "Here I Am" function being used to e-mail changes in meeting spots. When your iPhone is connected to the JVC CD receiver, your email templates can be selected and sent directly from the head unit.
Note: The JVC head unit must be set to External/App mode. All visual map data will be displayed on your connected iPhone (not the JVC head unit). You can only control a specific number of functions from the JVC head unit. Not compatible with iPad or other iPod models.
iPod Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod Compatibility Chart: The JVC KW-R900BT is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 9/25/2013):
|iPod Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Pandora app||Auto Drive Router||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod||App mode||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Wireless Remote Control: The KW-R900BT comes supplied with a wireless remote control (RM-RK52). The remote contains Attenuator, Sound, Source, Tracking, and Volume functions. The remote operates off of a single CR2025 3V Lithium-cell battery (included).
Smart Remote App for Android: JVC's Smart Remote App lets you view the current status and perform simple gesture control of the JVC head unit from your Android smartphone. The Smart Remote App uses Bluetooth to communicate between your Android smartphone and the JVC car receiver. The JVC head unit will auto connect to the Smart Remote App when your Smartphone is in range. The Smart Remote App is specifically designed for easy gesture control operation while driving, so driver and passenger can access information with ease from the Android Smartphone. With the Smart Remote App, passenger and driver can check current playing song details or other car stereo information.
- Information Display: The JVC Smart Report App will display Song information such as Song title, Artist name, and Album label from a connected USB mass storage class device on your Android Smartphone. It also displays AM/FM station frequency # and name. In addition, it provides source, EQ, and playback mode indicator icons.
- Gesture Control Operation: The JVC Smart Report App lets you use finger gesture commands on your Android smartphone to control the playback of the JVC head unit. This type of gesture control is designed to operate the JVC head unit from your smartphone without having to look at your smartphone. Gesture control operations include Finger tap, Finger hold, Finger click, Finger swipe (right/left/up/down), and Finger curve (right/left/up/down).
Note: The free JVC Smart Remote App can be downloaded from the Android Market onto your compatible Android smartphone. requires that your Android smartphone have Android OS 2.1, 2.2, or 2.3 installed; as well as Bluetooth SPP support.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio, CD-Text, and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs.
MP3/WMA Playback: The KW-R900BT can play MP3/WMA (5-320 kbps) music files that have been recorded on CD-R/CD-RW discs. The disc must be recorded in one of the following formats: ISO 9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, or Romeo. The CD receiver can support up to a total of 20,000 files and 2,000 folders (999 files per folder). The unit also supports IDTag3 (version 1.0, 1.1, 2.2, 2.3 or 2.4) for album and artist information from MP3 or WMA files.
Track/Folder List: The Track/Folder List displays a list of MP3/WMA folders and tracks on a loaded CD, so you can easily access your music. The Track/Folder List will also display the list of track titles on a CD Text disc.
Quick Search: You can search for your MP3, WMA, or WAV music tracks alphabetically (A-Z) or numerically (0-9).
Random/Repeat Modes: The JVC KW-R900BT offers the following Repeat and Random playback modes for your audio CDs.
- Repeat: Track Repeat (plays the current track repeatedly), Folder Repeat (plays all tracks of the current folder repeatedly), Off (cancels repeat function)
- Random: Folder Random (plays all tracks of the current folder, then the tracks of the next folder in random), All Random (plays all tracks of the current disc at random), Off (cancels random function)
Disc Resume: If you change the source, playback also stops (without ejecting the disc). Next time you select CD for the playback source, the disc will start from where it has been stopped previously.
Off Insert/Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback.
Disc Protection: If the ejected disc is not removed within 15 seconds, the disc is automatically inserted again into the loading slot to protect it from dust. The source will change to CD, and the disc will begin playback, even if you have another source selected at the time.
Mounting: For proper disc playback you must install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
AM/FM Tuner: The JVC KW-R900BT features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning.
RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
Preset Tuning: You can store a total of 18 FM stations presets and 6 AM station presets. The radio allows you to set your AM/FM stations manually or automatically.
Radio Timer: You can tune into a preset station at a specific time regardless of the head unit's current source. You can activate the Radio Timer once, daily, or turn it completely off.
IF Filter: You can also switch the tuner's IF filter to Wide or Auto to increase/decrease the sensitivity.
Mono: If an analog FM stereo broadcast is hard to receive, you can manually switch the tuner to Mono operation.
US/European Tuning: You can set the built-in AM/FM tuner between US standard and European tuning spacing.
Variable Color LCD & Key Illumination: The JVC KW-R900BT features 29 color presets for the LCD and button illumination. You can choose one of these color presets or select the ColorFlow mode which scrolls through all 29 color presets. Additionally, there is a User preset, allowing you to individually adjust the intensity of Red, Green, and Blue from 0 to 31; resulting in approximately 30,000 custom color options. The chosen color preset or custom color can be applied to the display panel and the backlighting for all the buttons except the eject and display buttons (they remains red). You can choose to use the same color for the LCD display and button illumination, or use a separate color for each one. You can also select a different color for daytime and nighttime in regards to the unit's LCD and button illumination.
Brightness: The unit offers an adjustable display and button illumination brightness level (0-31) for day and nighttime driving.
Display/Button Illumination Dimmer: The display/button illumination dimmer can be set to Off (normal brightness at all times), On (display/button illumination is always dimmed), or Auto (display dims when 12-volts is applied to the orange/white illumination lead).
2-DIN Chassis: The JVC KW-R900BT has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as Double DIN), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets, or Euro-mounted using the supplied mounting sleeve. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield LabsWhat are the Labs?
7 questions already asked
2 answers I have gone through the manual and fiddled around with the unit but just can't figure out how to have the color display set so it does not continuously flash. When you operate any button it stops falshing color cycles momentarily. I just want a set color, quite distracting driving at night with everything flashing away???? [ Tony Jul 15, 2014 ]
first do you have to turn the demo mode off,then set your color after that iF continues the flash you have a bad unit. also there are certain mods That flash multiple colors you have to set your colors manually. I hope that helps. [ FREDERICK Jul 16, 2014 ]
Be sure you are following the menu and manual exactly. If that still does not work, I would disconnect the power wire for around 30 seconds and reconnect and try again. Good luck! [ MARK Jul 16, 2014 ]
hi chuck, i didnt see any [ OMAR Jun 14, 2014 ]
Yes, The Deck does have independent front and rear high pass filter. [ STEVEN W Jun 10, 2014 ]
Hi Chuck - Sorry, you have reached a complete moron when it comes to stereo electronics. All I can tell you is that the unit works great except somehow the clock gets one hour off over a period of a couple days. Sorry, not an answer to your question. Other than that, the unit is great. Sorry. Eric [ ERIC J Jun 09, 2014 ]
No, not at all. [ MARK May 26, 2014 ]
In my 2003 MDX(non navi) they don't. If you have navigation the a/c controls should go through the navi unit. [ JOHN May 25, 2014 ]
I put it in a 2001 F-350 it didnt affect any of the controls.Had to trim just a little on the mounting plate to get it to fit. Very nice radio. [ BRIAN May 24, 2014 ]
The answer is no if your using the supplied wiring adapter for your vehicle. Hope this helps. Good luck! [ ROGER A May 24, 2014 ]
Not on my vehical. [ GEORGE May 24, 2014 ]
Sorry, I don't have any Apple products so I can't say [ J C Mar 24, 2014 ]
Have not used iPod or iPhone yet. Just installed a few days ago. Sorry [ TROY Mar 24, 2014 ]
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Mar 16, 2014 ] Staff
yes... the clock displays in all modes and with the "disp" button in the upper left, you get your choice of different ways the information is displayed. It's a very intuitive unit and sounds great. The bluetooth is easy to use and the sound quality if good. I mounted the microphone on my steering column right in front of me. I love it. [ BRIAN Jan 11, 2014 ]
You can set it to be on all the time if you want. [ BRUCE K Jan 07, 2014 ]
Yes it does. I love this deck and am thinking about switching out my other car's OEM one. [ KRISTIN Jan 02, 2014 ]
the clock only displays when you play the cassette tape. [ RYAN S Jan 02, 2014 ]
yes [ GEORGE Jan 02, 2014 ]
Thanks. I had a single DIN JVC that worked that way, but it died. I was hoping this double DIN unit was the same. [ Kenneth Jan 01, 2014 ]
Thanks. That is what I needed to verify. [ Kenneth Jan 01, 2014 ]
Yes, the clock is in in all modes as far as I remember. But this is in my summer car which I haven't been in for a few months. [ RENE Jan 01, 2014 ]
The clock is displayed in all modes when it is on. [ DAVID Jan 01, 2014 ]
Yes, it does. It is not a huge displayed item, but it is kept on in the right upper corner of the unit. Exceptions may be while in Menu mode as I have not been paying attention for time while programming or tweaking something. Hope this helps! [ James Jan 01, 2014 ]
what kit item number please [ Gus Dec 12, 2013 ]
I got my Sirius kit from Crutchfield, easy install... [ WILLIAM Dec 12, 2013 ]