Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Our take on the JVC KW-AVX720by Crutchfield's Zak Billmeier
Your vehicle has a double-sized (4" tall) dash opening why not fill it with a big, beautiful touchscreen? JVC's KW-AVX720 DVD receiver gives you a large 7" display, touchscreen controls, and a stylish look that'll really liven up your dash.
Keep your passengers happy
Just bring your hand up to the screen, and a proximity sensor activates the video controls. Make your adjustments and then watch the controls disappear as you take your hand away. The KW-AVX720 lets you check out your DVDs while you're parked, or connect a screen in the back so your passengers can watch movies while you drive.
Control your iPod® and iPhone
JVC builds iPod control right into the USB slot no adapter required. Just connect your iPod using the cable it came with, and you'll be using the receiver's controls to browse your tunes and playlists in no time. JVC's 2-Way Control lets your passengers use the iPod itself to control your music while it's connected to the radio and you'll still see song details on the display. An optional adapter allows you to use your iPhone, or watch video from your iPod through your system.
Play your MP3 and WMA files you've burned to disc, or load them on a USB flash drive. You'll have tunes to spare for your next trip, and you'll see song info on the receiver's display. The powerful built-in amplifier works with a high-quality digital-to-analog converter to make your movies and music sound their best, while the 7-band equalizer lets you adjust a range of frequencies to create the perfect sound for your car's interior.
Building a system
An optional Bluetooth® adapter lets you make safer hands-free calls while you're on the road. You can add a satellite radio tuner to access an amazing variety of commercial-free music, or hook up an HD Radio tuner to take advantage of the enhanced sound quality and additional programming options offered by participating stations. You'll find rear and subwoofer preamp outputs for adding amps and subs.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- DVD receiver with built-in MOSFET amplifier (20 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- plays DVDs, DVD-Rs, DVD-RWs, CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, and MP3 and WMA files on CD, DVD, or USB
- 7" touchscreen and motion-sensing activation
- remote control
- iEQ 7-band equalizer with twelve presets
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- built-in iPod control, adapter required for iPod video display
- compatible with optional Bluetooth adapter, satellite radio, HD Radio tuner
- inputs: rear USB input on cable, rear A/V input
- outputs: 3-channel preamp outputs (2.5-volt front and mono subwoofer), audio/video output
What's in the Box:
- Double-DIN AM/FM/DVD/CD receiver with built-in 7" monitor
- 15-amp fuse (installed)
- 2 Protection metal plates (installed)
- Sleeve (installed with 4 screws)
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- RM-RK252 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 8 Pan head ISO-mount machine screws (M5 x 8mm)
- 8 Flat head ISO-mount machine screws (M5 x 5mm)
- Red wire splice tap (18-22 gauge)
- Instructions (Eng/Spa/Fre)
- Installation/Connection Manual (Eng/Spa/Fre)
- US warranty information
- Canadian warranty information
- Product Registration Card/Questionnaire
- Note on removing protection metal plates (attached to chassis)
- List of Bluetooth countries
- Caution note (attached to wiring harness)
- Note on cleaning the unit
- Digital Television Transition Notice
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||USB Memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|RMS Power Output||20 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||2.5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
Product Overview: The KW-AVX720 double-DIN multimedia unit includes a DVD/CD receiver with a 7" motorized touch-screen monitor. It also has CD changer control, Bluetooth and iPod capability (with optional adapters), HD and Satellite Radio compatibility (with optional tuners), optical digital output, A/V line input, and composite video output.
2-DIN Chassis: The KW-AVX720 has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double DIN" or size DD), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. Unlike many in-dash monitors, there is no hideaway box; all the inputs and outputs are included within the unit's chassis. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets, or Euro-mounted using the supplied mounting sleeve. As always, please check the Crutchfield Vehicle Selector to verify fit with your vehicle.
Motorized 7" TFT LCD Touch-Screen Monitor With Motion Sensitive Illumination: The KW-AVX720 features a motorized 7" TFT Active Matrix, 16:9 touch-screen monitor with an adjustable viewing angle (1-7). The pixel resolution of the display is 1440 horizontal x 234 vertical (336,960 pixels total). The monitor's brightness can be adjusted from -15 to +15. The LCD serves as a video monitor, system information display and touch-screen control panel. The monitor electronically slides down for loading or ejecting a DVD/CD disc. In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the bottom edge of the screen. You can turn on/off the screen and the light of the buttons on the monitor panel after turning on the unit using motion sensitivity. You can set the KW-AVX720 to the following motion illumination settings:
- Normal: The unit's front-panel control buttons and monitor screen remain lit when the unit is turned on.
- Proximity/Motion: The LCD monitor remains on when the unit is turned on, while the front-panel buttons light up only when your hand moves close to the buttons.
- Proximity/Motion-LCD: The LCD monitor and front-panel buttons light up only when your hand moves close to the unit after the unit is turned on.
- Touch Panel: The buttons on the monitor panel light up when your finger touches the buttons or touch panel, while the monitor screen remains on once the unit is turned on.
- Touch Panel-LCD: The buttons on the monitor panel and the monitor screen light up when your finger touches the buttons or touch panel of the headunit after the headunit is turned on.
Wallpaper: You can choose from four background wallpapers; Bright, Future, Horizon, or Plain. The wallpaper color can be changed from blue, light-blue, red, orange, yellow, green, purple, dark-blue, dark-green, brown, light-brown or black.
Selectable Aspect Modes: You can choose from four aspect modes for the in-dash display:
- Regular: for 4:3 source material, 4:3 and 16:9 pictures display with black bars on either side (16:9 images are compressed)
- Full: expands 4:3 pictures horizontally to fill the entire width of the screen, distorting the picture slightly but retaining full image height
- Panorama: for viewing 4:3 pictures naturally on the wide-screen monitor
- Auto: the correct aspect mode is automatically chosen based on the incoming signal
Picture Adjust: Brightness, Contrast, Color, and Tint can each be adjusted from -15 to +15.
Dimmer: When 12 volts is applied to the illumination lead and the dimmer set to Auto, the display dims. The dimmer can also be set to Off (normal brightness at all times), On (display is always dimmed), or Dimmer Time Set (you program the time for the dimmer to turn off and on). The unit also features 3 dimmer levels to choose from - Bright, Middle, or Dark.
Disc Compatibility: The JVC KW-AVX720 supports the playback of the following disc types: DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW and Video CD.
Compressed File Playback: The KW-AVX720 can play MP3, WMA, WAV, JPEG, MPEG1, and MPEG2 files recorded on DVD-R, DVD-RW ,DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-R, and CD-RW discs. The disc must be recorded in ISO 9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, or Romeo. MP3 and WMA files with bit rates from 32-320 kbps are supported along with IDTag3 (version 1.0, 1.1, 2.2, 2.3 or 2.4) for album and artist information. The unit will also playback back MPEG1/MPEG2 files with the extension code <.mpg>, <.mpeg>, or <.mod>. In add addition the unit can play back JPEG files that are 32 x 32 to 8192 x 7680 resolution. Each disc can have a maximum of 5000 files and 250 folders, with a maximum of 999 files per folder.
AM/FM Tuner With Title Assignment: The KW-AVX720 features a built-in AM/FM tuner with three FM bands and one AM band. Each AM/FM band can hold up to six station presets. You can store these presets manually or have the radio store them automatically. You can also assign names (up to 16 characters) for 30 AM/FM station frequencies. If an FM stereo broadcast is hard to receive, you can manually switch the tuner to Mono operation. You can also switch the tuner's IF filter to Wide or Auto to increase/decrease the sensitivity.
Source Naming: The KW-AVX720 allows you to assign names of up to 16 characters each for the A/V input, the EXT input (connected to the CD changer input using an optional adapter), and up to 30 AM and FM stations.
Menu Language: There are 10 options for the menu language, including English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Dutch, and Portuguese.
Remote Control: In addition to the unit's touch-panel and hard-key controls, the KW-AVX720 comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-RK252) to make using the multimedia headunit even easier.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The JVC KW-AVX720 utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior DVD/CD sound quality.
MOS-FET Amplifier: The JVC KW-AVX720 features a MOS-FET amplifier that is CEA-2006 compliant and rated at 20 watts RMS x 4 channels in 4-ohm and 1% THD+N with a signal to noise ratio of 80 dBA.
Amplifier Gain Control: When you are using the KW-AVX720 with factory speakers (or those rated to less than 50 watts peak), the Amplifier Gain Control can limit the amount of power being sent to those speakers. When the Amp Gain Control is set to low, the volume control ranges from 0 (minimum) to 30 (maximum). When using speakers rated higher than 50 watts peak, you can set the Amp Gain Control to high, and the volume control will range from 0 to 50. The internal amp can also be turned off when all the speakers are powered by outboard amplifiers.
7-Band Equalizer: Along with a flat preset, there are 8 preset EQ curves and three user programmable fields; Hard Rock, R&B, Pop, Jazz, Dance, Country, Reggae, Classic, User 1, User 2, and User 3. The user presets can be adjusted to your preference and stored in memory. For each User preset, you can independently adjust the following frequencies: 60 Hz, 150 Hz, 400 Hz, 1 kHz, 2.5 kHz, 6.3 kHz, and 15 kHz. The level of each frequency can be adjusted from -10dB to +10dB in 2dB increments.
2.5V Preamp Outputs: The KW-AVX720 features one pair of Rear 2.5V preamp outputs and a mono-Subwoofer 2.5V preamp output. This set of rear preamp outputs fade in and out with the fader control and speaker level outputs on the stereo, while the subwoofer preamp output in non-fading. The JVC multimedia headunit provides the following preamp level controls.
- Subwoofer Level: Adjusts the subwoofer output level from -6 to +8.
- High Pass Filter: Select Through (when subwoofer is not connected) or On (when subwoofer is connected).
- Crossover: Adjusts crossover frequency between the front/rear speakers and the subwoofer; select from 80Hz, 120Hz, or 150Hz.
Dynamic Range Compression: This function reduces a Dolby Digital soundtrack's dynamic range so you can hear quieter dialog without being overwhelmed by loud sections. You can choose a setting of Auto or On.
Source Volume Control: The volume of each source (other than FM radio) can be adjusted relative to the FM volume, so the level is constant as you change from one input to another. The volume level of each source can be adjusted from -12 to +12.
USB Input: The JVC KW-AVX720 features a rear-panel USB port on a 48" pigtail. This allows you to play USB mass storage and Media Transfer Protocol devices such as a USB thumbdrive, Digital Audio Player or portable HDD loaded with MP3, WMA, WAV, JPEG, MPEG1, and MPEG2 files. For the unit to recognize the USB medium, it must be specified as a mass storage device formatted using FAT 12, FAT 16, or FAT 32. The unit's USB port supports MP3 and WMA files with a bit rate of 32-320 kbps, and WAV files with a Linear PCM bit rate of 704-1,411 kbps. For MPEG1/2 files, the maximum bit rate for video signals is 2 Mbps. The unit can recognize a total of 5,000 files and 250 folders (a folder may contain a maximum of 999 files). This unit will recognize a total of 25 characters for file/folder names. This unit cannot recognize a USB device whose rating is other than 5V and exceeds 500 mA. A USB cap is supplied to place over the USB input when it's not in use.
iPod/iPhone Compatible: The optional JVC KS-U30 USB Audio/Video Cable for iPod (105KSU30, sold separately) allows you to playback and control audio and video from your iPod on this JVC multimedia headunit. This cable also allows you to view iPod Artwork. The cable features a proprietary Apple iPod dock connector on one end and a male composite video and male stereo audio RCA connectors on other end along with a USB type-A connector. You can choose to control your iPod from the JVC headunit or from the iPod's click-wheel or touch-screen. The KS-U30 cable will also charge your iPod or iPhone when connected to the JVC headunit and is powered on. To playback video the KW-AVX720's Video Input must be set to "iPod" in the unit's menu. You can also connect your iPod's USB/Docking cable to the unit's USB port for audio only playback from your iPod
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Media Type||Control||Display||Charge|
Note: Apple firmware updates may change functionality results. You may need to reset your iPod if you download a newer software version, such as the iOS 4.0 update. The vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to view iPod/iPhone video.
Bluetooth Compatible: With the optional JVC KS-BTA200 Bluetooth Adapter (item number 105BTA200), this unit allows you to make and receive cellular phone calls through your Bluetooth enabled phone, or listen to a Bluetooth audio device. You can register up to 5 Bluetooth devices to this unit, however, only one unit of each type can be used at a time. You can store up to 6 phone numbers as presets for one-touch dialing, dial from your Phonebook, dial from the list of received or missed calls, or dial a number manually using the touch panel keypad. You can also set the unit to auto-answer your incoming calls.
HD Radio: The KW-AVX720 supports HD Radio when the optional JVC HD Radio tuner box (KT-HD300, sold separately) is connected to the receiver's CD changer port on the rear of the unit. HD Radio Technology can deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo, while FM digital will have CD-like quality with static free and clear reception. In addition, AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. Many HD Radio stations also offer more than one channel of programming. This service is called multicasting. When this optional HD Radio tuner box is connected to the KW-AVX720, you will still be able to receive conventional analog AM/FM broadcasts.
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional XM or SIRIUS Satellite Radio receiver to this receiver:
- XM Satellite Radio: To receive XM Satellite Radio connect the optional CNP2000UCA XM Tuner and the JVC CNP-JVC1 adapter cable (package item number 700XMJVC2).
- SIRIUS: Connect the optional SC-C1 SiriusConnect vehicle tuner (item number 607SCC1) and the JVC KS-SRA100 SIRIUS adapter (item number 105KSRA100).
- Dock: Select dock-and-play and portable SIRIUS radios can be controlled using the JVC KS-SRA100 SIRIUS adapter (item number 105KSRA100) and the SC-VDOC1 dock (item number 607SCVDOC1).
- Auxiliary Input: A portable satellite radio receiver, such as the Delphi SkyFi3 or SIRIUS Sportster, can be connected to the head unit via the unit's rear-panel RCA inputs or a JVC auxiliary input adapter, such as the KS-U57 or KS-U58 (item numbers 105KSU57 and 257KSU58).
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
CD Changer Controls: This unit is directly compatible with JVC CD changers. When connected to a CD Text capable changer, this unit can display disc and track titles for discs encoded with that information.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the green wire in the supplied 16-pin harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit, as well as a constant power source and ground. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus.
Video Output: The Video Output (RCA composite video jack) allows you to connect an optional external monitor. You can choose one of the following monitor types for the output to the external monitor(s):
- 16:9: select this when the aspect ratio of your monitor is 16:9
- 4:3 Letter Box: select this when the aspect ratio of your monitor is 4:3, when viewing a widescreen picture black bars appear on the top and bottom of the screen
- 4:3 Pan Scan: select this when the aspect ratio of your monitor is 4:3, when viewing a widescreen picture, the black bars do not appear; however, the left and right edges of the picture will not be shown on screen
Audio/Video Input: The audio/video input consists of left and right RCA audio jacks and an RCA composite video jack, allowing you to connect external equipment to this head unit. The audio/video input can be set to one of the following modes:
- Audio + Video: choose when connecting an A/V component like a VCR
- Audio: choose when connecting an audio component like a cassette deck
- iPod: select when connecting the iPod/iPhone using the required USB Audio/Video cable (KSU-30, sold separately)
- Camera: select this when connecting a rear view camera
- Navigation: displays map from an outboard navigation system
- Off: select when no component is connected
Digital Out: You can enjoy 5.1-channel sound, including Dolby Digital and DTS, when you connect this unit's optical digital output to an external surround sound digital processor. You can select the signal format emitted through the Digital Optical Out.
- PCM: select this when connecting an amplifier or a decoder incompatible with Dolby Digital, DTS, or MPEG Audio or when connecting to a recording device
- Dolby D: select this when connecting an amplifier or a decoder compatible with Dolby Digital
- Stream: select this when connecting an amplifier or a decoder compatible with Dolby Digital, DTS, or MPEG Audio
OEM Steering Wheel Remote Input: The KW-AVX720 has a steering remote control jack on the preamp output harness. When used with the optional SWI-JACK interface (item number 127SWIJACK), you can retain the use of your steering wheel and/or rear seat radio controls when replacing the factory head unit in select vehicles. The SWI-JACK is compatible with over 95% of the vehicles made from 1986 to the present. Compatible vehicles include many Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Honda, Hummer, Infiniti, Isuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercury, Mini, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Suzuki, Toyota, and Volkswagen vehicles and Harley Davidson motorcycles. Please consult "Outfit My Car" to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Optional Input Adapter: An optional JVC Line Input Adapter (item number 105KSU57 or 257KSU58) may be used to provide an additional auxiliary audio input on this unit. This feature allows you to connect a portable audio player, such as a portable MP3 player, to this unit as an additional audio source. The adapter connects to the CD changer input on this unit. When the adapter is connected to this unit, a CD changer cannot be connected.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.