Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Polk Audio SurroundBar® 400 Component Home Theater
Single-speaker home theater sound bar
Item # 107CHT400 | MFR # AM1450-A
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Polk Audio SurroundBar® 400 Component Home Theater by Crutchfield's Marshall Chase
The skinny on great performance
The path to great TV sound just got a little slimmer thanks to Polk Audio. Now you can enjoy three-dimensional sound for your movies, TV shows, and video games from the 2-1/2 inch thin Polk SurroundBar 400 CHT.
Excellence by design
The 400 CHT uses patented Polk SDA® and Digital Logic technologies to deliver wraparound sound without the need for rear speakers and wire running across your room. This décor-friendly single-speaker solution works with any home theater receiver. And its elegant design matches today's popular flat-panel TVs.
Flexibility at the flip of a switch
The 400 CHT features a handy mode switch that lets you customize the speaker to suit your room, your home theater receiver, and your preferences. Set it to either 5- or 7-channel mode to match the capability of your receiver, and it will reproduce all the surround sound channels in your movie soundtracks. Or engage the "LCR" (left, center, right) mode and use the SurroundBar for only your front three speakers, if you want to add separate surround speakers for even more authentic home theater sound.
Installation doesn't get much easier than this
Polk includes a 15-foot speaker cable with color-coded wires for all seven channels. No more confusion about which wire goes where. You can wall-mount the 400 CHT right below your TV. Or use the supplied adjustable feet to place this video-shielded speaker on your equipment stand.
Don't forget the bass...
For full home theater impact, pair the 400 CHT with a Polk powered subwoofer.
What's in the Box:
- SurroundBar speaker
- 15' Color-coded wiring harness
- Wall-mount bracket
- 2 Rubber feet
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty Card
- Online Product Registration
- Speaker cable note (on plastic bag)
- Polk Audio brochure
- single-speaker home theater sound bar
- frequency response 110-26,000 Hz (-3dB)
- handles 20-125 watts per channel
- sensitivity 87 dB
- 8-ohm impedance
- Polk SDA surround technology and Digital Logic deliver 360º wraparound sound from just one speaker
- Dynamic Balance® mid-woofers with neodymium magnets for low distortion and smooth frequency response
- three 3/4" silk dome tweeters for a wider soundfield
- seven 2-3/4" Dynamic Balance woofers
- extruded aluminum cabinet virtually eliminates sound-muddying resonance
- anti-diffraction grille for open, spacious imaging
- bracket included for easy wall-mounting
- adjustable feet included
- 15-foot, 14-conductor, color-coded speaker wire included (in-wall rated)
- 39"W x 4-1/4"H x 2-1/2"D
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Polk Audio SurroundBar® 400 Component Home Theater Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||1|
|Tweeter||0.75" Dome (x3)|
|Woofer||2.75" Cone (x7)|
|Surround Sound Decoding||No|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||---|
|Audio Return Channel||---|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||---|
|Control by App||---|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||Yes|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||N/A|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||N/A|
|System Frequency Response||110-26k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||0|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||N/A|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||4-1/4H x 39W x 2-1/2D|
|Sound Bar Weight||10.5 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||No Subwoofer|
Polk Audio SurroundBar: The Polk Audio SurroundBar 400 CHT is a completely self-contained passive soundbar speaker, measuring a mere 2.5" deep. The Polk Audio SurroundBar 400 CHT achieves single-speaker surround sound from one slim speaker bar. Polk Audio's exclusive patented SDA Surround & Polk Digital Logic technologies eliminate the need for rear speakers. The SurroundBar 400 CHT can be table-top or wall mounted.
7Ch, 5Ch, or LCR Switch: The Polk Audio SurroundBar 400 CHT features a channel mode switch, which enables the SurroundBar to play as part of a 7ch, 5ch, or LCR front stage. You get a rich, enveloping surround experience when you using the SurroundBar 400 CHT in 7ch or 5ch mode, plus the flexibility of adding dedicated surround channel speakers when you use it as a LCR front stage.
- 7Ch Mode: In 7ch mode, the Polk Audio SurroundBar 400 CHT creates all 7 channels of surround (Front/Center/Surround/Surround Back), without the use of any additional rear speakers.
- 5Ch Mode: In 5ch mode, the SurroundBar 400 CHT creates 5 channels of surround (Front/Center/Surround), requiring additional speakers for the surround back channels.
- LCR Mode: In LCR mode, the SurroundBar 400 CHT creates 3 channels of surround (Front Left/Front Right/Center), requiring additional speakers for the surround & surround back channels.
Polk Audio Proprietary Technologies: The SurroundBar 400 CHT utilizes Polk Audio's proprietary SDA Surround & Polk Digital Logic processing technologies to produce a rich, enveloping listening experience.
- SDA Surround Technology: Polk's patented SDA Surround technology means there's no need to install rear speakers. SDA Surround creates a completely immersive experience, as if there were 5 or 7 speakers all around you. This technology is based on fundamental research into the way our ears process sound and perceive the direction of sounds. It uses a patented combination of signal processing and acoustical geometry that complements the spacing between your ears to produce surround sound without the need for rear mounted speakers. Since the SurroundBar 400 CHT works directly with the hearing mechanism and requires no special room characteristics, it can deliver a room-filling surround experience in nearly any location in almost any type of room.
- Polk Digital Logic: The SurroundBar 400 CHT utilizes Polk Digital Logic to deliver big, crisp sonic performance with no complicated setup or calibration. Through Polk Digital Logic, the SurroundBar 400 CHT's sound is created independent of any room boundaries. Polk Digital Logic helps to maintain a solid center channel for clear, intelligible dialogue, & Polk's signature warm & full sound.
Polk's Next Generation of Dynamic Balance Drivers: The SurroundBar 400 CHT uses Polk's next generation of Dynamic Balance composite polymer mid-woofers. Seven 2.75" (diameter) drivers incorporate rubber surrounds & powerful neodymium magnets for low distortion. Four of the seven drivers are dual voice coil (DVC) designs that make possible reproduction of seven discrete channels of information from fewer drive units than would otherwise be necessary. Fewer drivers enable Polk to reduce the bar's internal volume & therefore minimize the bar's depth, while reproducing seven vivid full-range channels associated with state of the art home-theater processors.
Silk Polymer Dome Tweeters: Three 0.75" silk polymer dome tweeters are employed for smooth response & exceptional detail.
Frequency Response Note: The overall frequency response is 90 Hz to 27,000 Hz & the -3dB frequency response is 110 Hz to 26,000 Hz.
Aluminum Enclosure: The SurroundBar 400 CHT features a stylishly curved extruded aluminum enclosure in a high-gloss black to match today's flat-panel televisions. The shape of the heavy-duty non-resonant aluminum enclosure breaks up internal standing wave resonance to give you pure, lifelike sound.
Anti-Diffraction Grille & Bezel: The SurroundBar 400 CHT's anti-diffraction grille & bezel help create open, spacious imaging.
Speaker Terminal: The SurroundBar 400 CHT is fitted with a 14-pin proprietary connector to attach the included 15' speaker wire harness.
Color Coded Wiring: The speaker wire harness is terminated with a proprietary 14-pin connector on one end & 14 bare tinned wires on the other end. The included 15' 14-conductor speaker wire harness is color-coded for easy identification when connecting to your home theater receiver.
|White, White/black||Front Left +, Front Left -|
|Red, Red/black||Front Right +, Front Right -|
|Green, Green/black||Center +, Center -|
|Blue, Blue/black||Surround Left +, Surround Left -|
|Gray, Gray/black||Surround Right +, Surround Right -|
|Brown, Brown/black||Back Left +, Back Left -|
|Orange, Orange/black||Back Right +, Back Right -|
Placement: The Polk Audio SurroundBar 400 CHT can be placed in front of, below, or above your flat-panel television.
Rubber Feet: The Polk Audio SurroundBar 400 CHT speaker can be placed on a stand or shelf using the included rubber feet. The rubber feet simply slide into the bottom grooves of the SurroundBar speaker. The feet can be positioned to place the speaker flat or at a 10° upward angle. Without the feet, the SurroundBar speaker tilts up 5°.
Note: The rubber feet add 0.125" to the height of the speaker.
Wall Mounting: The SurroundBar 400 CHT's can be hung on the wall using the supplied wall-mount bracket. The included wall-wall mount bracket clips on the back of the SurroundBar speaker without any additional hardware. The mounting bracket should be attached to the wall using a minimum of five drywall or wood screws (sold separately). Make sure the bracket is stud mounted.
Note: The mounting bracket measure 22.75" wide. The bracket adds 0.125" to the depth of the speaker.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.