Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Polk Audio SurroundBar® 6500BT
Powered home theater sound bar with wireless subwoofer and Bluetooth®
Item # 107SB65BT | MFR # AM6500-A
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Polk Audio SurroundBar® 6500BT by Crutchfield's David Brown
Solve your TV's biggest problem
The good news is that you own a gorgeous, flat-panel HDTV. The bad news is that the speakers in that ultra-thin TV are ultra-tiny. So how are you going to get sound as big as your picture? Try the Polk Audio SurroundBar 6500BT. Like your TV, it's incredibly slim. But that space is put to good use, with four 2" full-range drivers powered by built-in amplifiers. Together with the included wireless subwoofer, this system will free your TV's sound by unleashing dialogue, soundtrack music, and sound effects from the limitations of your TV's grossly inadequate built-in speakers.
Home theater, minus the bulky gear
Not only does the SurroundBar 6500BT offer big sound, it also creates a more enveloping sound field. Polk's SDA Surround® and Digital Logic® technologies use digital signal processing that bring out the dynamics, details, and surround effects in movies and TV shows. So while dialogue is crystal clear, other sounds seem to emanate from beyond the physical plane of the SurroundBar. And, naturally, the subwoofer will drive home those low-frequency effects with plenty of bluster, for a true home theater experience that doesn't involve a room full of audio gear.
What about music?
If you ever use your smartphone, tablet, or computer to listen to music, then you're ready to stream music wirelessly to the SurroundBar 6500BT. The "BT" stands for Bluetooth, which means you can send music stored on most portable devices and computers directly to the SurroundBar for easy wireless playback. Plus, if you have an Android™ smartphone that's NFC-compatible, just tap it against the SurroundBar for instant pairing.
Easy to set up, easier to use
Worried that this sound bar and subwoofer combo will be hard to set up? Polk makes it as easy as possible. The SurroundBar's thin design makes it easy to mount on the wall below your TV using the built-in keyhole slots. You can also set it on a TV stand or cabinet. The subwoofer's wireless connection means you can place it almost anywhere in your room — even up to 50 feet away. A single connection from your TV using the included optical digital cable is all you need to start enjoying this system's powerful sound. And though it comes with a remote, the bar is easily programmable to respond to your TV's remote for seamless everyday use.
Great product but Polk you need to have an app so we can tune better
What's in the Box:
- Active surroundbar speaker
- Wireless powered subwoofer
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 5' DC cord)
- Two 6' AC power cords
- Remote control
- CR2025 3V battery (installed in remote)
- 6' Optical digital cable
- 69" Stereo minijack cable
- 8" minijack-to-RCA adapter
- Owner's Manual
- Important Notes
- Online Product Registration
- ultra-slim profile is ideal for wall-mounting beneath a flat-panel TV
- four 2" full-range drivers
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- aptX® encoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- NFC-compatible for one-touch pairing with compatible smartphones
- proprietary SDA® surround technology creates a spacious sound field for immersive sound
- Dolby® Digital decoding
- learns your TV remote's commands for single-remote use
- keyhole slots for wall-mounting
- optical digital audio input (6' cable included)
- 3.5mm minijack input (miniplug-to-miniplug cable and miniplug-to-RCA adapter included)
- 35"W x 4"H x 2-1/2"D
- 7" woofer
- connects wirelessly to sound bar for easy placement
- 10-1/4"W x 11"H x 12-3/4"D
- total system power: 280 watts
- system frequency response 40-20,000 Hz
- remote control included
- warranty: 1 year (electronics), 3 years (speakers)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Polk Audio SurroundBar® 6500BT Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Midrange||2" Cone (4)|
|Surround Sound Decoding||No|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||---|
|Audio Return Channel||---|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||---|
|Control by App||---|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||Feet|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||40-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||Not given|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||Not given|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||2|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||4H x 35W x 2-1/2D|
|Sound Bar Weight||7.6 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||11H x 10-1/4W x 12-3/4D|
|Subwoofer Weight||10.6 lbs|
Instant Home Theater (IHT): The Polk Audio SurroundBar 6500BT Instant Home Theater (IHT) is a two-piece home theater system comprised of a single self-powered surroundbar speaker and a wireless powered subwoofer. The system utilizes two Polk technologies - Polk Digital Logic and SDA Surround - to deliver rich, full virtual surround sound to your flat-panel TV; without the need for an AV receiver or rear speakers.
- Active Surroundbar: The active surroundbar speakers features four 2" dynamic balance/polypropylene full-range drivers powered by a built-in 200 watt (peak) amplifier. The surroundbar's dual tuned-port enclosure design optimizes the realistic blending of midbass drivers with the wireless subwoofer, for more dynamic performance throughout the room.
- Wireless Power Sub: The wireless powered subwoofer features a down-firing 7" Dynamic Balance woofer with foam surround and down-firing flared J-port in a compact enclosure. The 7" woofer is powered by a built-in 80 watt (peak) amplifier. The powered subwoofer receives it audio signal wirelessly (up to 50') from the system's surroundbar, so there is no subwoofer cable to connect. You can adjust the volume of the sub independently from the surroundbar speaker.
Surround Technologies: Combining Polk Audio's proprietary SDA Surround technology and Polk Digital Logic digital signal processing, the SurroundBar 6500BT system is able to produce a rich, enveloping listening experience.
- SDA (Stereo Dimensional Array): Polk's patented Stereo Dimensional Array (SDA) Surround technology is based on fundamental research into the way our ears process sound and perceive the direction of sounds. It uses a patented combination of signal processing and acoustical geometry that complements the spacing between your ears to produce a wide sound stage without the need for rear mounted speakers. Since the surroundbar works directly with the hearing mechanism and requires no special room characteristics, it can deliver a room-filling surround experience in nearly any location in almost any type of room.
- Polk Digital Logic: The SurroundBar 6500BT utilizes Polk Digital Logic (Polk's proprietary DSP programming) to deliver big, crisp sonic performance with no complicated setup or calibration. Through Polk Digital Logic, the SurroundBar 6500BT's sound is created independent of any room boundaries. Polk Digital Logic helps to maintain a solid center channel for clear, intelligible dialogue and Polk's signature warm & full sound.
Analog + Digital Connectivity: The Polk Audio SurroundBar 6500BT provides both analog (3.5mm) and digital (optical) connectivity for a variety of source components.
- Digital Connection (Dolby Digital compatible): The surroundbar features a single optical (toslink) digital input to connect your flat-panel TV. The optical input can decode and reproduce Dolby Digital 5.1 program material. The surroundbar's digital input also supports 2-channel PCM. One 6' optical cable is included.
- Analog Connections: The surroundbar is equipped with two analog stereo minijack (3.5mm) inputs to connect your television (which may lack an optical digital output). If your TV is equipped with stereo RCA outputs, a minijack-to-RCA will be required. The additional 3.5mm stereo input can be used to connect another audio device, such as your MP3 player. One 69" stereo minijack cable and one 8" minijack-to-RCA adapter is included.
Note: The digital optical output terminals of most newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Polk Audio SurrounBar 6500BT supports Bluetooth A2DP which allows you to wirelessly stream audio from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Blackberry, laptop/computer, etc.. You'll be able to stream stored music or music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device to the surroundbar speaker system. You will continue to your Bluetooth-enable mobile device for music navigation and to view song/artist information.
- aptX Audio Coding Technology: The SurroundBar 6500BT employs AptX audio coding technology for lossless, CD-quality streaming with compatible AptX-compatible phones (like some Androids).
- Simple Pairing: The SurroundBar 6500BT pairs wirelessly and effortlessly with Bluetooth enabled devices (up to 8) with a single press of a button. Bluetooth-enabled devices (like Android) that have Near Field Communication (NFC) are even easier to pair with; simply touch the device to the soundbar speaker and they're paired. Once paired, the SurroundBar6500BT will automatically re-connect to your device when within range (up to 33').
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Polk Audio SurrounBar 6500BT.
Remote Control: The included IR wireless remote control provides wireless operation of the system. You can also program the SurroundBar 6500BT to respond to your TV's remote.
Mounting Options: The surroundbar speaker should be centered under or above your flat-panel TV screen. The lightweight easy-to-mount single speaker can be placed on a tabletop or wall-mounted. It can sit on a flat surface because of its integrated rubber feet that enable it to rest securely. If your TV is wall-mounted, the surroundbar can be mounted right beneath it using the speaker's integrated keyhole slots (x2) on the rear-panel. The keyhole slots are spaced 24" apart. The powered subwoofer receives its signal from the surroundbar wirelessly, so it can be placed virtually anywhere in the room (up to 50' from surroundbar). It only requires plugging into an AC outlet.
Auto Power: When their master power switches are left on, the amplifiers in both the surroundbar speaker and subwoofer turn on automatically when the surroundbar receives an audio signal. Both amplifiers turn off after approximately 15 minutes without an audio signal.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
2 questions already asked
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: This soundbar only has power for the speakers it has built in, not for additional speakers. For tower speakers you'll need a different set up. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy May 30, 2015 ] Staff
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the install. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Apr 27, 2014 ] Staff