Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Polk Audio SurroundBar® 9000 Instant Home Theater
Powered home theater sound bar with true 5.1 surround sound and wireless subwoofer
Item # 107SB9KIHT | MFR # AM1900-A
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Polk Audio SurroundBar® 9000 Instant Home Theater by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
Turn it up, he's whispering again
The critical night-time break-in scene at the villain's office is playing on tonight's movie feature in your TV room. Our hero, never a loud talker to begin with, lays out his strategy to his sidekick in a hushed tone. You turn up the volume, knowing you're missing something important. Finally, it's loud enough to make out their plan. They turn back to the office building's entrance as the scene fades to black BEARS SELL TOILET TISSUE! AND NOW THE COMMERCIAL IS TALKING LIKE THIS!!!
The power's there for when you need it
If diving for the mute button isn't your style, perhaps you'd be well served to check out the Polk Audio SurroundBar® 9000 Instant Home Theater system. Once you hand over your TV's audio duties to this powerful, intelligently crafted pairing of sound bar and wireless subwoofer, dialogue at normal volumes will be substantially clearer, and surround-sound sources will allow you to fully participate in the entertainment experience, regardless of where you're sitting in the room. The Optimized Center Array technology built in to this sound bar is designed to bring what Polk calls, "unprecedented clarity and intelligibility." When you can decipher dialogue at normal volumes, the authoritative power of this system (510 peak system watts) will have the wide dynamic range to fully engage you, without assaulting your eardrums when the programming changes.
Enlarge the listening "sweet spot"
This stylish, room-friendly system features years of Polk research and know-how. Their designers have come up with a system that delivers a complete surround-sound experience, without relying on bouncing sounds off the room's reflective surfaces, so you'll still feel inside the action no matter the size or shape of your room. And because the sweet spot is so expansive, you'll be hard pressed to find a seat in your listening area that doesn't deliver full sonic satisfaction. It's a component-level experience in a two-piece form.
Engineered for performance
Most of the time, one digital audio cable is all you'll need to connect to start enjoying terrific surround sound. The wireless subwoofer can be placed anywhere you have a power source within 50 feet, and pairs with the main surround bar in seconds. And best of all, 9 custom-designed drivers, each driven by dedicated amplifiers, will deliver clean, substantive, even sonic goodness throughout the room. No need to clutter your end tables either, because you can teach the SurroundBar 9000 the essential features of your TV remote in minutes.
Very nice sound great with movies, only wish it had RF volume control otherwise a total five.
Blair Elzenbeck, Point Pleasant ,NJ
What's in the Box:
- Wireless powered subwoofer
- AC power supply (with attached 5' DC cord)
- Two 6' AC power cords
- IR wireless remote control (with installed CR2025 3V lithium battery)
- 6' Optical digital cable
- 8" minijack-to-RCA adapter (with a male right-angle 3.5mm connector on one end and stereo female RCA connector on other end)
- 69" Stereo minijack cable (with a right-angle male 3.5mm connector on one end and a male straight 3.5mm connector on other end)
- Owner's Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Important Notes
- Online Product Registration
- Polk Audio brochure
- five 2-1/2" mid-bass drivers
- three 1/2" silk dome tweeters
- each driver has its own amplifier: 45 peak watts x 8 channels (360 peak system watts total for soundbar)
- built-in Dolby® Digital and DTS 5.1 decoding
- proprietary SDA® surround technology creates a spacious sound field for enhanced, wrap-around realism
- Optimized Center Array (OCA) technology uses all five mid-bass drivers to achieve exceptional clarity from dialogue and other center channel information
- dual tuned port enclosure for smoother blending between sound bar and subwoofer
- built-in keyhole slot for easy wall-mounting; shallow design works with most all of today's flatscreens
- 44-11/16"W x 3-7/8"H x 2-5/8"D
- 150-watt amplifier
- can be placed anywhere in the room
- 8" down-firing woofer
- flared "J-port" helps the sub deliver deep, low-distortion bass
- 12-1/16"W x 13-1/2"H x 15"D
- two optical digital inputs for connection to your TV, Blu-ray player, or gaming console (cable included)
- two 3.5mm stereo minijack inputs for analog sources
- frequency response 45-20,000 Hz (-3 dB)
- credit card-style remote included
- warranty: 3 years for the speakers, 1 year for electronics
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Polk Audio SurroundBar® 9000 Instant Home Theater Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Surround Sound Decoding||No|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||---|
|Audio Return Channel||---|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||---|
|Control by App||---|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||No|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||45-20,000 Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||Not given|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||Not given|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||2|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||3-7/8H x 44-11/16W x 2-5/8D|
|Sound Bar Weight||8 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||13-1/2H x 12-1/16W x 15D|
|Subwoofer Weight||18.2 lbs|
Instant Home Theater (IHT): The Polk Audio SurroundBar 9000 Instant Home Theater (IHT) is a complete 5.1-channel home theater system comprised of a single self-powered surroundbar speaker, a wireless powered subwoofer, and an IR remote control. The SurroundBar 9000 IHT utilizes two Polk 3D Audio technologies (Polk Digital Logic and SDA Surround) along with SRS TruSurround HD4 to deliver richer, fuller sound (with no rear speakers) to your flat-panel TV from a compact system with no complex hook-up or set-up.
Active surroundbar: The active surroundbar features three 0.5" silk dome tweeters and five 2.5"midbass woofers powered by a built-in 360 watt (peak) amplifier (45W x 8ch). High and low pass filters are handled electronically with no passive components in the signal path. This reduces phase shift and lowers distortion inherent in all passive crossover networks. The SurrounBar's enclosure is a combination of ABS and Plexiglas, which adds extra rigidity, strength, and higher damping factor. This makes the enclosure more acoustically inert and less resonant. The grille frame is a single molded piece wrapped with cloth. And as with high-end loudspeakers, the grille has no lattice work in front of any of the drivers or tweeters to ensure dispersion is unimpeded. The surroundbar's dual tuned-port enclosure design optimizes the realistic blending of midbass drivers with the wireless subwoofer, for more dynamic performance throughout the room.
Wireless Powered Subwoofer: The wireless powered subwoofer features a down-firing 8" poly-composite Dynamic Balance woofer with rubber surround and down-firing flared J-port in a 3/4" thick MDF cabinet. The 8" woofer is powered by a built-in 150 watt (peak) amplifier. The powered subwoofer receives it audio signal wirelessly (up to 50') from the system's surroundbar, so there is no subwoofer cable to connect.
Dynamic Balance Driver Technology: Polk Audio's patented Dynamic Balance process allows Polk to design their drivers specifically for flatter frequency response, revealing the sharpest details and a more lifelike transparency, with absolutely no strain even at high volume. It's a bold, rich, warm, and lifelike sound.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP): Polk Audio has incorporated the most powerful DSP engine ever used in its amplified surroundbars, capable of 160 MIPS (millions of instructions per second) including 58 discrete DSP blocks for delay, frequency shaping, crossover points, signal mixing and parametric compression. Amplitude smoothing addresses even minor irregularities of all active drive units.
3D Audio: Polk Audio's 3D Audio combines two groundbreaking, patented technologies to produce an audio environment that can only be described as 3-dimensional. Combining Polk Audio's proprietary SDA Surround technology and Polk Digital Logic processing technology produces a rich, enveloping listening experience. It reaches out beyond your TV screen to put you in the center of the action.
- Polk Digital Logic: The surroundbar 9000 Instant Home Theater utilizes Polk Digital Logic (Polk's proprietary DSP programming) to deliver big, crisp sonic performance with no complicated setup or calibration. Through Polk Digital Logic, the surroundbar 9000 IHT's sound is created independent of any room boundaries. Polk Digital Logic helps to maintain a solid center channel for clear, intelligible dialogue and Polk's signature warm & full sound.
- Stereo Dimensional Array (SDA) Surround: Polk's patented Stereo Dimensional Array (SDA) Surround technology is based on fundamental research into the way our ears process sound and perceive the direction of sounds. It uses a patented combination of signal processing and acoustical geometry that complements the spacing between your ears to produce a wide sound stage without the need for rear mounted speakers. Since the surroundbar works directly with the hearing mechanism and requires no special room characteristics, it can deliver a room-filling surround experience in nearly any location in almost any type of room.
SRS TruSurround HD4: The Polk Audio SurroundBar 9000 also incorporates SRS TruSurround HD4 for a high quality, feature-rich surround sound experience from its front-facing speaker configuration. The result is rich bass, high frequency detail, and clear dialogue.
Optimized Center Array (OCA): Optimized Center Array (OCA) provides unprecedented clarity and intelligibility of center channel information over a wide listening area. Everyone hears natural sounding, clear dialog, while musical instruments and center-channel effects are anchored to the screen. All five 2.5" drivers of the surroundbar contribute to the center channel performance in a sophisticated, amplitude tapered cascaded array design (known as Optimized Center Array). The SB9000's OCA progressively low-passes the outer and inner driver pairs to mitigate undesirable constructive and destructive interference that otherwise would result in off-axis frequency response irregularities. OCA controls off-axis amplitude response by appropriately limiting each mid-bass driver's passband for minimal interference for off-axis seating locations as follows:
- outer and inner driver pairs reproduce center channel information from 80-450Hz and 80-700Hz respectively
- the center driver plays center channel program material through the upper midrange all the way up to its crossover point with the center tweeter (80Hz-4kHz)
- the outer tweeters are also employed as "super tweeters" (6kHz - 20kHz) for center channel material in addition to serving their primary duties in the reproduction of Front (FL/FR) and Surround (SL/SR) channels
Full Complement Bass (FCB): Full Complement Bass is based on the idea of several smaller drivers working together to create the effects of a much larger one. FCB provides the equivalent surface area of a 5.25" mid-bass driver to give the lower midrange and upper bass tonal richness and speedy transient response, ensuring that no single driver is overtaxed since all share the demanding 80-200Hz band equally. The low 80Hz crossover point, achievable by employment of FCB, effectively eliminates localization of the system's powered subwoofer.
System Controls: The SurroundBar 9000 IHT offers the following system functions - Power, Surroundbar Volume, Subwoofer Volume, Source Selection (1/2/3/4), and Mute. You can control these functions from the surroundbar's touch-sensitive controls or included remote control.
- Touch-Sensitive Controls: The touch-sensitive buttons on the front of the surroundbar offers easy operation of the system.
- Remote Control: The included IR wireless remote control provides wireless operation of the system.
Program Remote: You can also program the SurroundBar 9000 IHT's Power (on/off) and Volume (up/down) to respond to your TV's remote.
Sync: The Sync button is located on the back-panel of the surroundbar. If the wireless subwoofer stops receiving an audio signal from the surroundbar, press the Sync button to regain system connection.
Auto Power: When their master power switches are left on, the amplifiers in both the surroundbar and subwoofer turn on automatically when the surroundbar receives an audio signal. Both amplifiers turn off after approximately 15 minutes without an audio signal.
Digital Connection (Dolby Digital/DTS compatible): The surroundbar also features two optical digital inputs to connect your flat-panel TV with an optical digital output (optical digital cable included). Both of the surroundbar's optical inputs can decode and reproduce Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 program material. Many soundbars can decode 5.1, but can only reproduce it as 2-channel stereo. The SurroundBar 9000 IHT plays back all discrete channels as intended for optimal surround performance and fidelity. The surroundbar's digital inputs also support 2-channel PCM.
Analog Connections: The surroundbar is equipped with two analog 3.5mm stereo inputs to connect your television (which may lack an optical digital output). If your TV is equipped with stereo RCA outputs, a minijack-to-RCA adapter is provided. The additional 3.5mm stereo input can be used to connect another audio device, such as your MP3 player.
Wireless Connection: The surroundbar and powered subwoofer communicate with one another wirelessly (up to 50'). The surroundbar sends the low-pass audio signal from your TV or connected source to the powered subwoofer wirelessly over an RF frequency.
Note: The surroundbar and powered subwoofer come from the factory preset to work together. If the wireless subwoofer stops receiving an audio signal from the surroundbar, there is a sync button on back of the surroundbar to press to regain system connection.
Power Supply: Both the surroundbar and wireless powered subwoofer require an AC outlet connection using the supplied AC power supply and AC power cords.
Mounting the surroundbar: The surroundbar speaker can be placed on a tabletop or wall-mounted. The surroundbar comes with two rubber feet that can be easily removed and re-installed anywhere along the length of the speaker to allow installation directly in front of any TV, regardless of the type of stand provided. Keyhole slots located 24.5" apart allow either on-wall installation or attachment to an aftermarket display mount and center-channel bracket. The surroundbar should be centered under or above your flat-panel TV screen.
Powered Subwoofer Placement: The powered subwoofer receives its signal from the surroundbar wirelessly, so it can be placed virtually anywhere in the room (up to 50' from surroundbar). It only requires plugging into an AC outlet.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.