Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Infinity Kappa 50.11cs
5-1/4" component speaker system
Item # 1085011CS | MFR # 50.11cs
Our take on the Infinity Kappa 50.11cs by Crutchfield's John Pollard
Infinity's Kappa Series 50.11cs 5-1/4" component speakers continue in the tradition of this legendary line of speakers, offering rugged construction and impressive sound quality. Once installed, this system will bring out every nuance and detail in your favorite music tracks, making time spent in your car seem more like a concert than a commute.
Large soft dome tweeters
If you're looking for natural-sounding high frequencies, Infinity uses edge-driven 3/4" soft dome tweeters in this system. The "edge-driven" design creates a larger tweeter that handles more power and delivers smooth response way down into midrange frequencies not covered by smaller "W"-shaped domes. You'll hear a more clearly defined soundstage where you can picture the placement of every instrument. Infinity includes hardware for surface- or flush-mounting the tweeters, plus Starfish brackets that help you install the tweeters in many factory tweeter openings.
Glass fiber woofer with Plus One+ technology
If you like bass, the Kappa glass fiber woofer holds its shape when the power's cranked up, so you still get punchy and defined bass. Glass fiber weighs less than traditional materials, so you don't need a ton of power to drive this woofer. Infinity's Plus One+ woofer technology extends the cone right up to the edge of the basket, giving you more surface area than with most comparable speakers. A bigger cone means more bass to complement the superior high-frequency response. The included external crossovers send the appropriate frequencies to the tweeters and woofers.
Great for any system
These 2-ohm speakers are sensitive enough that you can power them with an aftermarket stereo, but you'll get your best results feeding them plenty of power from an outboard amp — up to 85 watts RMS. Grilles are included.
Installation note: You'll need a pair of our universal backstraps to install the tweeters in the factory locations.
What's in the Box:
- 2 Woofers
- 2 Grilles
- 2 Grille rings
- 2 Crossovers
- 2 Tweeters (each with 6" wire attached)
- 2 Flush-mount cups
- 2 Threaded flush-mount adapters
- 2 Plastic locking nuts
- 2 Surface-mount cups
- 2 Starfish tweeter mounts
- Six 1-1/2" Self-tapping Allen head screws
- 3mm Allen head bit
- Eight 1-3/8" Self-tapping screws
- Four 1" Self-tapping screws
- Six 3/8" Flat head screws
- Two M4x10mm Machine screws
- 2 Washers
- 16 Speed clips
- 2 Adhesive backed tweeter grille badges
- 2 Adhesive backed foam gaskets
- component speaker system includes 2 woofers, 2 tweeters, and 2 crossovers
- 5-1/4" Plus One+ glass-fiber woofer with hi-roll rubber surround
- adapter rings included for 6-1/2" openings
- 3/4" edge-driven soft dome tweeter
- Starfish mounting brackets for easier tweeter installation in factory locations
- 2-way external crossover network
- 2-ohm impedance
- tweeter adjustment circuits (0, +3 dB)
- power range: 5-85 watts RMS (255 watts peak power)
- frequency response: 55-35,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 93 dB
- woofer top-mount depth: 2-1/16"
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Infinity Kappa 50.11cs Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Speaker Size||5 1/4|
|Tweeter Design||3/4" Dome|
|Woofer Composition||Formed glass fiber|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Sensitivity (1W at 1 meter)||N/A|
|Sensitivity at 2.83 volts||93|
|Frequency Response||55 - 35k Hz|
|Minimum RMS Wattage||5|
|Maximum RMS Wattage||85|
|Peak Power Handling (Watts)||255|
|Top-mount Depth (Inches)||2 1/8|
|Bottom-mount Depth (Inches)||2 1/4|
|Cutout Diameter or Length (inches)||4 5/8|
Plus One Woofer Cones: The Plus One woofer cones offer more surface area than other speakers that fit in the same size opening. This is accomplished by using a new basket design and hi-roll surround. The result is greater bass output and a significant increase in efficiency.
Formed Glass Fiber Woofer Cones: The formed glass fiber cone material is very light and extremely stiff, minimizing flex. This results in very low distortion and improved clarity.
iCGM frames: The Kappa series speaker baskets are made of composite Injected Carbon Glass Matrix (iCGM). iCGM is lighter and stronger than stamped steel; it retains its shape, even when mounted on uneven surfaces (common in car mounting locations), plus offers exceptional damping of any resonances.
Terminals: The woofers' input terminals are gold-plated set screws that will accept up to 12 gauge bare wire.
High-Output Design: The high output 2-ohm voice coil design compensates for the high in-line resistance of small gauge factory wiring and extracts every watt from factory receivers, increasing overall system output and efficiency (relative to 4 ohm speakers). The speaker's 2.0-ohm impedance combined with the impedance of the factory speaker wire presents a true 4-ohm load to your connected headunit or amplifier. The speakers also benefit from increased power when you upgrade the wire and add aftermarket amplifiers, designed to power a 2-ohm load.
Edge Driven: The 3/4" edge-driven tweeters use textile soft domes. An edge-driven tweeter has better dispersion characteristics and allows for a lower crossover frequency than typical tweeters of the same size, which improves imaging. The result is improved vocals and musical clarity.
Tweeter Mounting: The I-Mount tweeter mounting system and Starfish mounting brackets give you several different ways to mount the tweeters:
- I-Mount Tweeter Mounting System: The tweeters
can be surface or flush mounted with Infinity's innovative I-Mount
- Surface Mount: Surface mounting the tweeters involves screwing the surface-mount cup to the mounting location, then inserting and locking the tweeter into the cup.
- Flush Mount: Flush mounting is made easy through the use of the threaded flush-mount adapter and plastic locking nut. Once a cutout is made, the flush-mount adapter (with the tweeter installed) is inserted into the hole. The large plastic locking nut is threaded onto the adapter (from behind the mounting surface) to hold the complete assembly securely in place. When flush mounted, the tweeters may be angled for optimum response and imaging.
- Starfish Mounting Brackets: The Starfish mounting
brackets allow the tweeters to be installed in factory locations behind
- Surface Mount (behind grille panel): Once the Starfish bracket is trimmed, it is screwed to the mounting surface behind the grille panel. Then, the tweeter is inserted into the bracket and locked into place.
- Flush Mount (behind grille panel): Once the Starfish bracket is trimmed, it is dropped into the cutout in the mounting surface behind the grille panel. Then, the tweeter is inserted into the bracket and locked into place.
- Bottom Mount (to grille panel): Once the Starfish bracket is trimmed, it is secured to the underside of the grille panel. The tweeter must be inserted into the bracket and locked into place before the bracket is mounted.
- Flush Mount (in-dash location): Once the Starfish bracket is trimmed, it is dropped into the cutout in the dash. Then, the tweeter is inserted into the bracket and locked into place.
Tweeter Mounting Dimensions:
|I-Mount Surface Mount||I-Mount Flush Mount||Starfish Surface Mount (behind grille panel)||Starfish Flush Mount (behind grille panel)||Starfish Bottom Mount (to grille panel)||Starfish Flush Mount (in-dash location)|
|Depth||0.372" (screw depth)||0.778"||0.331" (screw depth)||0.586"||1.077"||0.586"|
Crossovers: The crossovers use low-loss air core inductors, low-hysteresis polypropylene capacitors, and high-quality resistors. Each crossover has a tweeter output level switch; choose between flat and +3dB.
Connections: Each crossover has set screw input and output terminals that will accept up to 10 gauge bare wire.
- Length: 3-3/16"
- Width: 4"
- Height: 1-3/8"
Power Handling: Although Infinity lists the RMS power handling as 85 watts, they also list the recommended power range as 5-200 watts RMS. We've opted to list the more conservative 85 watt RMS figure on the specifications page.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Quality of Sound. Preferred brand of speaker for both automotive and home use. [ Jeffrey Mar 08, 2016 ]