Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Infinity Reference X REF-6500cx
6-3/4" component speaker system also fit 6-1/2" openings
Our take on the Infinity Reference X REF-6500cx by Crutchfield's John Pollard
Designed for more clarity
Do you want to hear the details you've been missing in your car's sound system? You'll enjoy exceptional clarity from Infinity's Reference X Series REF-6500cx 6-3/4" component speaker system. The package includes two 6-3/4" woofers, two 3/4" tweeters, and two external crossovers, along with mounting hardware and grilles.
Infinity uses 3/4" textile dome tweeters that give you amazing levels of detail without sounding harsh. Mount these tweeters in the right spot in your vehicle, and you'll hear a new world of sound as instruments and vocals become more natural and clearly defined. Infinity includes hardware for surface- or flush-mounting the tweeters, plus Starfish brackets that help you install the tweeters in many factory tweeter openings.
Installation note: You'll need a pair of our universal backstraps to install the tweeters in the factory locations.
These give off a great sound with a fairly simple installation. Minor mods to the door panel to fit snug but nothing drastic.
1van, Costa Mesa, CA
What's in the Box:
- 2 Woofers
- 2 Tweeters (each has attached 6" speaker leads)
- 2 Woofer grilles
- 2 Grille frames
- 2 Crossovers
- 2 Plastic mounting rings (Chrysler/GM)
- 2 Flush-mount cups
- 2 Threaded flush-mount adapters
- 2 Plastic locking nuts
- 2 Surface-mount cups
- 2 Starfish tweeter mounts
- Eight 1-3/8" Self-tapping Allen head screws
- Eight 1" Self-tapping pan head screws
- Eight 1/2" Self-tapping pan head screws
- Six 5/8" Self-tapping flat head screws
- 3mm Allen head bit
- 2 Washers
- 2 Nuts
- 8 Speed clips
- 2 Adhesive backed foam gaskets
- 2 Infinity logos
- Template on box
- Owner's manual (English/ Danish/ German/ Spanish/ Finnish/ French/ Italian/ Dutch/ Polish/ Portuguese/ Russian/ Swedish/ Turkish/ Chinese)
- component speaker system includes 2 woofers, 2 tweeters, and 2 crossovers
- 6-3/4" Plus One+ polypropylene woofer with hi-roll rubber surround
- adapter rings included for 6-1/2" openings
- 3/4" edge-driven textile dome tweeter
- Starfish mounting brackets for easier tweeter installation in factory locations
- 2-way external crossover network (18 dB/octave, 3,500 Hz high- and low-pass)
- 3-ohm impedance for extra power (compatible with virtually all factory or aftermarket car stereos)
- tweeter adjustment circuits (0, +3 dB)
- power range: 5-90 watts RMS (270 watts peak power)
- frequency response: 53-21,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 93 dB
- woofer top-mount depth: 2-1/16"
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Infinity Reference X REF-6500cx Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Speaker Size||6 3/4|
|Tweeter Design||3/4" Dome|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Sensitivity (1W at 1 meter)||N/A|
|Sensitivity at 2.83 volts||93|
|Frequency Response||53 - 21k Hz|
|Minimum RMS Wattage||5|
|Maximum RMS Wattage||90|
|Peak Power Handling (Watts)||270|
|Top-mount Depth (Inches)||2 1/16|
|Bottom-mount Depth (Inches)||N/A|
|Cutout Diameter or Length (inches)||5 1/8|
Plus One+ Cones: Each woofer uses a cone significantly larger than other speakers of the same size. This is accomplished by using a new basket design and hi-roll surround. The Plus One+ design offers greater bass output and a significant increase in efficiency.
Hi-roll Rubber Surrounds: The hi-roll rubber surrounds allow the woofers a greater range of movement, resulting in longer X-max and more bass output.
Mounting: Without an adapter, the 6500cx woofers fit standard 6-3/4" applications. Given their required cutout, they will also fit standard 3-hole 6-1/2" and 4-hole 6-1/2" applications without an adapter, but new screw holes must be drilled. Using the included adapter brackets they can be mounted in a wide variety of 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" applications, without any modification.
Material: Each tweeter features a 3/4" edge-driven textile dome for smooth, accurate highs.
Mounting: The I-Mount tweeter mounting system and Starfish mounting brackets give you several different ways to mount the tweeters:
- I-Mount Mounting System: The
tweeters can be surface- or flush-mounted with Infinity's
innovative I-Mount system:
- Surface Mount: Surface mounting the tweeters involves screwing the surface-mount cup to the mounting location, then inserting and locking the tweeter into the cup.
- Flush Mount: Flush mounting is made easy through the use of the threaded flush-mount housing and plastic locking nut. Once a cutout is made, the tweeter is installed in the flush-mount adapter, then into the flush mount housing and inserted into the hole. The large plastic locking nut is threaded onto the adapter (from behind the mounting surface) to hold the complete assembly securely in place. When flush mounted, the tweeters may be angled for optimum response and imaging.
- Starfish Mounting Brackets: The Starfish
mounting brackets allow the tweeters to be installed in factory
locations behind the grilles:
- Bottom Mount: Once the Starfish bracket is trimmed, it is secured to the underside of the grille panel. The tweeter must be inserted into the bracket and locked into place before the bracket is mounted.
- Surface Mount: Once the Starfish bracket is trimmed, it is screwed to the top of the mounting surface behind the grille panel. Then, the tweeter is inserted into the bracket and locked into place.
- Flush Mount: There are two sets of tabs to flush mount the tweeter in the Starfish bracket, yielding different mounting dimensions. The upper tabs mount the tweeter completely below the opening and are glued in place. The lower mounting tabs are screwed in place and result in a mounting height just under a half inch. Once the bracket is mounted, the tweeter is inserted into the bracket and locked into place.
|I-Mount Surface Mount||I-Mount Flush Mount||Starfish Bottom Mount||Starfish Surface Mount||Starfish Flush Mount||Starfish Flush Mount (below mounting surface)|
|Depth||0.492" (screw depth)||0.808"||0.944"||0.492" (screw depth)||0.475"||0.88"|
Selectable Tweeter Output Level: Each 2-way crossover allows you to select the tweeter output level according to system requirements and personal preference; the tweeter level can be set to +3 dB or 0 dB.
Connections: The crossover inputs and outputs are screw terminals; they will accommodate bare wire or spade connectors up to 0.315" wide. There are four mounting holes in each crossover.
- Width: 3.935"
- Height: 1.209"
- Depth: 3.171"
True Four Ohm Impedance Technology: The speaker's 3-ohm impedance combined with the impedance of your speaker wire provides a true 4-ohm load to your connected head unit or amplifier.
Power Handling: Although Infinity rates the 6500cx speakers at 90 watts RMS (continuous average), they also recommend amplifiers with a power rating from 5 to 200 watts RMS.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
by Robert Ferency-Viars
We listen to Alpine Type-S, Polk Audio DXi, Infinity Reference X, and Rockford Fosgate Punch car speakers in the Crutchfield Labs.
Why did you buy this?
Great reviews about full range sound. [ gary May 07, 2016 ]
I have owned infinity speakers for many years and they have a good balanced sound. .Home and Car Audio [ Phill Apr 29, 2016 ]
Super great price [ Bret Apr 28, 2016 ]
Choose them as an upgrade to my factory speakers. They are decent, not quite as good of bass as a set of kickers that I installed in another vehicle but decent [ REX Apr 18, 2016 ]
Price and reviews. [ Aaron Apr 12, 2016 ]
These are great speakers from what the reviews say ! [ Glenn Apr 04, 2016 ]
this fits in my 2008 Chevy Colorado [ Kenneth R, Mar 30, 2016 ]
To replace the stock Rockford Fosgate speakers that came with the car [ Edward Feb 02, 2016 ]
1 question already asked
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Mar 19, 2015 ] Staff