Harman Kardon TrafficPro
GPS Navigation/CD Receiver (Amber Display)
Our take on the Harman Kardon TrafficPro by Crutchfield's Charlie Pastorfield
No more missed turns, no more stopping for directions let Harman Kardon's TrafficPro take your driving experience to a new level! This innovative receiver combines superior CD playback, a world-class AM/FM tuner, and a GPS (Global Positioning System) navigation device in one user-friendly package, yet it installs in your dash like a standard CD player.
Activate the navigation system, and it's like having a friend with a map sitting right there with you. TrafficPro combines data from GPS tracking (a GPS antenna is included), an internal gyroscope, and your vehicle's speed sensor to calculate your position. Slide in a navigation CD-ROM (the two included Version 1.0 discs contain the entire USA), and you'll be guided to your destination with the touch of a button just follow the voice instructions and simple visual prompts on the display.
In most cases, you only have to enter the first few letters of your destination for TrafficPro to know where you're heading. You can store or recall up to 50 destinations, and, if you happen to miss a turn, the TrafficPro automatically recalculates your route. The "Jam" button quickly calculates the most efficient way around unexpected traffic jams. Points of interest (such as restaurants, airports, hotels, or gas stations) can be accessed through the menu, and Favorite Destination Storage lets you recall specific points of interest later.
Once TrafficPro has determined the best possible route, you can remove the navigation disc and (unlike other systems) play your audio CDs while it guides you. (The receiver's 8MB RAM holds the navigation data so it can recalculate your route without the CD-ROM.) You receive on-the-spot info every step of the way, including ample notice of impending turns and reports on estimated time of arrival.
And Harman Kardon's passion for sonic accuracy ensures that TrafficPro's audio performance is nothing less than spectacular. You'll enjoy the flawless CD playback, whether you're playing prerecorded discs or your own CD-R (or CD-RW) recordings. The AM/FM tuner excels at rejecting multipath distortion for clean, static-free performance.
A potent internal amplifier (18 watts RMS/35 peak x 4) projects your music with authority and great detail, and the receiver has the ability to compensate for road noise by raising or lowering the volume level according to your vehicle's speed. Front, rear, and subwoofer outputs are provided to supply signal to external amplifiers. For extended music play, an optional auxiliary input adapter allows connection of external sources like an MP3 player or a satellite radio tuner.
- detachable fold-down face with anti-theft code
- dot matrix display
- two Version 1.0 navigation discs (for full USA coverage)
- navigation to town centers, streets, intersections, home addresses, or points of special interest
- 8 MB RAM stores navigation info while audio CD plays
- voice prompts can be delivered in 5 different languages
- music is automatically muted during voice prompts
- selectable route options
- location markers
- stores 50 favorite destinations
- access to last 50 destinations
- 12 FM/12 AM presets
- Radio Data System participating stations provide traffic and programming info
- easy-to-operate multi-function softkey controls
- GAL adjusts volume level to match the speed of your vehicle (compensates for road noise)
- two sets of preamp outputs
- mono subwoofer output
- optional telephone speaker input uses vehicle's speaker system for hands-free phone operation (note: requires optional harness available directly from Harmon Kardon)
- optional auxiliary input (available direct from Harman Kardon)
- direct track access
- 18 watts RMS/35 peak x 4 channels
- CD frequency response 20-20,000 Hz
- 2-year warranty
What's in the Box:
- AM/FM/CD/CD-ROM Navigation/Changer controller receiver with 10-amp fuse inserted into chassis
- 1 Vinyl face case
- Wiring harness
- Preamp output harness
- 1 Red scotch lock
- 1 GPS antenna with attached 6.5' cable
- 2 Metal slides
- 1 European to Motorola antenna adapter
- 1 Mounting bolt
- 1 Self-adhesive Velcro fastener
- 1 Code Card (taped to top of unit)
- Western USA Navigation CD (Version 1.0)
- Eastern USA Navigation CD (Version 1.0)
- Operation guide (English/French/Spanish)
- Installation Guide (English/French/Spanish)
- GPS Antenna Mounting instructions (German/English/French)
- Quick-Start Guide
- NAVTECH End User License Agreement
- Product Registration card
- Traffic Pro Hotline/Online assistance information card
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||NA|
|Satellite Radio Ready||---|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||35 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||N/A|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||---|
|Preamp Voltage||3 volts|
|Key Button Color||Amber|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||---|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
Softkey Controls: As you navigate the head unit's menu system, the "softkey" functions change as indicated on the display. These multipurpose "softkeys" help to eliminate faceplate clutter and simplify menu navigation.
Navigation CDs: The TrafficPro comes with two Version 1.0 navigation CDs. One CD contains data for the western half of the United States and the other contains data for the eastern half of the United States. Version 2.0 software may be purchased for $285 directly from Becker North America by calling (201) 327-3434 x1209. As a courtesy to Crutchfield customers who purchased TrafficPro in 2004 or 2005, Becker will make the Version 2.0 update available for $185.25; to get the special pricing, you must provide proof of purchase in 2004 or 2005 and return the original software.
Route Guidance: For safety reasons, route guidance is provided predominantly in spoken form, supported by a direction indicator on the display.
Destination Input: The TrafficPro gives you many different ways to choose your destination:
- Address: you can input your destination's address by house number, street and city
- Intersection: you can enter the intersection of two streets and make it your destination
- Center: you can enter a town center and make it your destination
- Point of Interest: you can enter a Point of Interest, which includes gas stations, airports, hospitals, etc.
- Last Destinations: if your destination is one of the fifty most recent route calculations, you can recall that destination
- Destination Memory: if a location has already been placed into memory, you can recall the location for use as a destination. You can store up to 50 locations in Destination Memory.
Route Settings: Different route settings allow you to customize the route guidance calculation. You can choose Fast Route, which gives you the shortest possible journey time, or, Short Route, which gives you the shortest possible distance. The Restrictions setting allows you to select a route with or without highways, ferries, or toll roads.
Stopover: If, on your way to your destination you must make a stopover (e.g. find a gas station), this function will allow you to navigate to a stopover while route guidance is active.
Traffic Jam: This function allows you to block route sections ahead from the nearest junction and to calculate a detour route when a traffic jam or road block is directly ahead.
Information During Route Guidance: You can access the following information during route guidance: route settings, current time, trip duration/miles traveled, current position, and road list, which displays the current road and road names up to the destination point.
Simultaneous Operation: This feature allows you to listen to CD or radio while navigating. Music is automatically muted during voice prompts.
8 MB RAM: TrafficPro has 8 MB of on-board RAM, allowing navigation data to be downloaded for lightning fast access. In addition, you can remove the navigation CD and play your favorite music CD while navigating.
Language: Voice prompts can be delivered in 5 different languages: English, German, Spanish, French, or Italian. In addition, you can select a male or female voice for the voice prompts.
Measuring Unit: This feature allows you to select a measuring unit setting of Metric (meters and kilometers) or Imperial (yards and miles).
RDS (Radio Data System): This unit supports the following RDS functions:
- PTY (Program Type): allows you to select RDS stations based on their program type
- Radio Text: displays text info that is transmitted by RDS stations
- Traffic Program: If an RDS station transmits TP announcements, it is possible to have CD, CD changer, and AM operation interrupted so that the transmitted TP announcements can be played.
GAL: The GAL is a car radio control circuit, which automatically adjusts the car radio volume to the vehicle speed. This compensates for the driving noise produced at higher speeds.
Compass Display: If route guidance is not active, it is possible to display a compass on the right side of the display.
Announcement ETA: Announcement of the estimated time of arrival can be turned on or off.
Optional Auxiliary Input: An optional harness provides RCA auxiliary input connections, which allow you to connect a portable audio player to this unit. The optional harness also provides telephone hands-free audio input connections (see below), and it is available direct from Harman Kardon.
Optional Telephone Hands-Free Input: An optional harness provides leads that can be connected to the audio output wires of a cellular phone. When connected to a vehicle mounted cell phone with audio output leads, your telephone conversations can be heard through your vehicle's speakers. The optional harness also provides auxiliary RCA audio input connections (see above), and it is available direct from Harman Kardon.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.