Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
JBL Authentics L16
Wireless speaker with Apple® AirPlay® and Bluetooth®
From JBL: Authentics L16
JBL Authentics L16 - Clari-Fi processing provides more restoration to the compressed files that need it.
JBL Authentics L16 - In kitchen setting, control speaker via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi (phone not included)
Item # 109AUTL16N | MFR # JBLL16WLNAM
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the JBL Authentics L16 by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
Two 5-1/4" woofers, two 2" midrange transducers, and two 1" tweeters create a huge soundfield.
Redefining wireless speakers
JBL has taken a whole new approach to the traditional idea of a one-piece wireless speaker with the eyebrow-raising Authentics L16. This substantial yet stylish system is not made to blend into a room, or hide in a corner — it is meant to be the center of attention. Over 2 feet wide, the L16 is physically larger than most wireless speakers, allowing it to really open up and play with authority.
300 watts of total power pump through the speaker's six drivers — two 1" tweeters, two 2" midrange transducers and two 5-1/4" woofers — with each driven by a dedicated amplifier. You'll hear true room-filling sound with incredibly deep bass response. Highs and mids sound crisp and accurate. With the L16 you get a smooth and natural listening experience at both low and high volume, free of harshness and distortion.
Iconic looks and classic performance meet today's technology
The Authentics L16 is sure to get double-takes from longtime music fans. Its design is inspired by JBL's legendary L100, the home version of the pro monitor used in top recording studios of the 60s and 70s, and a top-seller for years. Sporting the signature cubed foam grilles and white speaker cones, the Authentic L16 has a well-constructed real wood enclosure with a walnut finish. But nostalgia, build quality, and size don't tell the whole story — the L16 is loaded with cutting-edge technology, too. JBL helps you take advantage of the convenience and flexibility of today's digital music sources, without expecting you to settle when it comes to sound quality. The Authentics L16 uses a 24-bit/96kHz signal path, making it capable of reproducing music with greater resolution and detail than CD.
Praise for the JBL Authentics L16 from Sound & Vision
"JBL has gone the extra mile to support all types of wireless devices, and to make them easy to connect. This is a powerful, and powerfully versatile, product. Oh, and you can play it loud."
— From Mark Fleischmann's review in Sound & Vision, September 29, 2014
Read the full review
A variety of connections
When it comes to music, how do you like to play it? Do you use a streaming service on your phone? Internet radio on your tablet? Download high-res music files to your computer? With virtually any device, the L16 gives you options:
- Use its built-in Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network and play music from computers and handheld devices via Apple AirPlay for iOS® or DLNA technology for Android™ or Windows® PC.
- Wirelessly stream from your phone or tablet via Bluetooth. Play streaming music services or your personal stored collection. NFC (Near Field Communication) technology gives you simple, one-touch Bluetooth pairing with compatible devices.
- Connect your TV to the optical digital input and use the L16 as a sound bar solution. You'll hear clear dialogue and special effects that crash and rumble.
- Plug in just about anything that has a headphone jack to the 3.5mm aux input.
The JBL Music app, available for both tablet and smartphone, lets you control the level of volume, mids, and lows. (Phone not included).
JBL Music app and Clari-Fi™ sound doctoring
Controls on the speaker itself are minimal by design. The Authentics L16 is easily managed by your smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. To help simplify the marriage between your device and the L16, JBL has created a dedicated app that allows you to select your downloaded songs, control volume or sound levels, and choose your input. The JBL Music App, available as a free download from the Google Play and Apple iTunes® app stores, also gives you a visual representation of the new Clari-Fi™ technology.
Clari-Fi is a sound doctoring tool that restores compressed digital music to its original form, the way it was recorded. When music is compressed, important nuances are lost. Frequency response drops off, transient sounds have less impact, and details get muffled. Ultimately things sound a bit dull. Clari-Fi analyzes the audio signal in real time and corrects problems in the sound. This means you'll hear the proper vocal and instrument separation, unrestrained high frequencies, and the satisfying punch of every kick drum, cymbal crash, and guitar pluck.
Great Airplay speaker! Very powerful and excellent sound. Setup was a breeze with their iPhone app (it even exports the wifi settings to the speaker with the push of a button!). Very glad I made this purchase.
K C F, Georgia
What's in the Box:
- Wireless active speaker
- Grille (installed)
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Top cover (installed)
- WiFi Setup Instructions
- Important Safety Instructions
- high-performance 3-way powered speaker with retro design
- real wood enclosure with walnut finish
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers,
- Apple AirPlay® for Apple portable devices and computers
- built-in Wi-Fi for wireless music streaming when connected to a home network
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked PCs and devices
- two custom-designed 1" tweeters
- two custom-designed 2" mid transducers
- two custom-designed 5-1/4" woofers
- dual ported cabinet for enhanced bass
- amplifier power: 6 x 50 watts RMS
- frequency response: 35-35,000 Hz
- signal to noise ratio: 92kb for wireless and analog inputs; 98dB for digital inputs
- 3.5mm aux input
- optical digital audio (supports sample rates of 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz)
- phono/RCA input to connect a turntable, with ability to switch between moving coil or moving magnet cartridges, and line level
- two USB charging ports
- iOS Wi-Fi sharing through dedicated USB port
- Qi wireless charging of Qi enabled devices with optional JBL Qi adapter (sold separately)
- can be controlled via JBL Music app (free at Google Play and Apple iTunes® app stores)
- 27-5/8"W x 8-1/16"H x 10-3/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
JBL Authentics L16 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Authentics Series: Inspired by the legendary JBL Century L100 loudspeaker, the JBL Authentic L16 blends classic acoustic speaker design with modern wireless connection and convenience. Its wooden enclosure with walnut guitar-quality finish offers exceptional audio quality while the latest technology provides easy wireless connectivity to a wide range of devices via AirPlay, DNLA and Bluetooth. The Authentics series wireless speaker features authentic materials, optimized low-frequency and high-frequency JBL transducers and meticulous acoustic design. The result is superior audio quality and a wide stereo image from a single enclosure.
300W Active Three-Way Speaker: High-performance JBL drivers paired with a meticulous acoustic design deliver unmatchable sound from a mid-size speaker. The optimized low- and high-frequency transducers combine with advanced studio quality 24-bit/96kHz electronics and DSP to present full-range stereo sound with a wide stereo image; all from within a single enclosure. Dual down-firing, flared ports add to the system's bass response and efficiency. The JBL L16 is fitted with two 1" tweeters, two 2" midrange drivers, and two 5.25" woofers, powered by a 50 watt x 6 channel amplifier.
Clari-Fi & Signal Doctor Music Restoration Technology: Harman Clari-Fi & Signal Doctor technology replaces the details lost in today's compressed music files, adding detail and energy to any low quality music stream. Clari-Fi & Signal Doctor music restoration technology by Harman analyzes the audio signal in real time and corrects waveform deficiencies based on an in-depth knowledge of the encoding codecs and psychoacoustics. For all compressed audio sources (such as MP3) Clari-Fi & Signal Doctor reconstructs a perceptual estimate of the missing signal components based on the signal components that remain in the compressed signal.
Wireless Connectivity: The JBL Authentics L16 provides easy wireless audio playback from smartphones, tablets, computers, and media players. It offers AirPlay for iTunes and iOS devices, DLNA for Android devices and Windows PCs, plus Bluetooth for Bluetooth-enabled devices. With AirPlay, DLNA and Bluetooth connectivity, the Authentics L16 can stream audio from almost any wireless device.
- Bluetooth: The Authentics L16 features built-in Bluetooth A2DP, which allows you to wirelessly stream audio from your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Blackberry, laptop/computer, or other Bluetooth-enabled device to the JBL wireless speaker system. You'll continue to use your device to navigate your music and to view song/artist information. The speaker system pairs with your Bluetooth-enabled device with a single press of a button or via NFC (Near-Field Communication) technology. Simply tap your NFC-enabled Android smartphone to the NFC tag on the top-panel of the speaker for instant pairing with the system; NFC is only available in select Android smartphones. Once paired, the L16 will automatically re-connect with your device when in wireless range (up to 33').
- AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream music directly from your Apple iOS device (4.3+), or from your iTunes library (10.1+) on your PC or Mac to the JBL L16, over your wireless home network. By downloading Apple's free Remote App onto your Apple iOS device, you don't even need to be in the same room as the L16 system or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library.
- DLNA: The L16 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) certified for audio streaming. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your Windows 7/8 PC, Android smartphone, or other DLNA-enabled server/ NAS. A variety of music files are supported. You'll continue to navigate your music from your DLNA-enabled device or from JBL's free MusicFlow app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
Note: In order to use AirPlay or DLNA, you will need to connect the JBL Authentics L16 to your wireless home network via WiFi (no Ethernet connection on speaker). Use JBL's free MusicFlow app on your Apple iOS or Android device for WiFi setup.
Analog + Digital Inputs: In addition to wireless connectivity, the JBL Authentics L16 offers wired analog & digital connections, including a phono input.
- Digital Optical Input: The JBL L16 features a rear-panel digital optical (toslink) input for connection of your CD player, Blu-ray player, or HDTV. The optical digital input only supports 2ch PCM audio signal (not Dolby Digital/DTS).
- Analog 3.5mm Input: The L16 is also fitted with a top-panel 3.5mm auxiliary input for connection of almost any portable audio player with a headphone output.
- Phono Input: For those who still have a vinyl collection, you can connect your turntable to the L16 via its stereo RCA phono input.
Charging: The JBL Authentics L16 supports charging of your smartphone & tablet devices via its dual USB (type-A) ports and its Qi-compatible charging pad.
- Dual USB Charging Ports: The L16 is fitted with two USB (type-A) ports designed to charge your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone/tablet while listening to your music. One USB port is rated at 5V/1A, while the other USB port is rated at 5V/2.1A. These USB ports are for charging only and does support audio playback.
- Charging Pad: The JBL Authentic L16 has an optional wireless charging pad on the top that makes recharging your compatible mobile device easy. No worrying about connectors; simply place your Qi compatible device on the charging pad. The wireless charging capability is another way the JBL Authentic L16 maintains a clean, uncluttered look.
Note: There is a removable top-cover which uncovers a compartment where you can store your smartphone or tablet device while it charges and during playback.
Controls: The JBL Authentics L16 wireless speaker system offers top-panel controls, as well as supports control from your Apple iOS or Android device with JBL's free MusicFlow app installed.
- Top-Panel Controls: The speaker's top-panel controls provide basic playback & system functions such as Power On/Off, Volume Up/Down, and Source Selection (Bluetooth/AirPlay/DLNA/Aux/Optical).
- JBL MusicFlow App: The free JBL MusicFlow app offers more advance playback control of the speaker system from your Apple iOS (5.0+) or Android (2.2+)mobile device. Simply download the JBL MusicFlow app (from iTunes or GooglePlay) onto your Apple iOS device or Android smartphone/tablet. You'll get the same functions as the top-panel controls, as well as the ability to stream music directly from your Apple iOS or Android device and adjust a 3-band EQ (Bass/Mid/High), plus activate JBL's Signal Doctor.
AC Power: The JBL Authentics L16 operates off of standard household current using the supplied 6.5' AC power cord (detachable).
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
2 questions already asked
I installed this on a sturdy solid wooden end table in my living room. I am not using it with a TV, but as my Living Room Stereo System for Music. Excellent sound quality! [ Timothy Aug 11, 2015 ]
I am using this as a speaker for outdoors out by the pool. I place it on an outdoor cabinet but I bring it in at the end of the day and store it inside. [ Mark Aug 10, 2015 ]
I put mine on a table a little larger than the speaker! Looks great! [ CHRIS Aug 10, 2015 ]
Currently using a table I had, not sure what type it's called, but measures 48 wide, 16 deep, and 28 inches high.. Previously had framed pictures setting on it.. It works out perfectly for the L 16.. Granted, this is a good sized piece of equipment.. Have also a table close to this kind, that holds my stereo receiver and CD player, etc.. Good Luck ! [ Lyle Aug 10, 2015 ]
I Just put mine on a coffee table in the bedroom. [ Chris Aug 10, 2015 ]
On a small old bookshelf (below a curved TV). [ Robert Aug 10, 2015 ]
I don't see a listing for the Qi adapter in our database. You might want to reach out to JBL directly about this piece. You can give them a call at 1-800-336-4525. [ Jeff Nov 11, 2014 ] Staff