Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Mono subwoofer amplifier 1,000 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
Item # 109GTO1K1E | MFR # GTO-1001EZ
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the JBL GTO-1001EZ by Crutchfield's Buck Pomerantz
Efficient bass power always set correctly
JBL's compact GTO-1001EZ amplifier will drive your subs with up to 1,000 watts RMS, bringing exciting, visceral impact to the music in your car. This mono amp looks very cool with its "old-school" styling, and JBL includes a few innovations that really separate this amp from the others.
Simple Setup System for setting amp gain
One of the biggest problems with installing an amplifier is setting the gain properly. JBL has come up with a fool-proof method for getting it right, ensuring full-power performance and distortion-free play. Using test tones on the included setup CD, you adjust the gain knob until the yellow light or the red light goes off, and the green "Gain OK" light comes on it's that simple. You'll never have to worry again about your amp "clipping" the signal, and possibly damaging your speakers or subs.
Plays well with factory radios
This GTO amp comes with screw-on bare wire-to-RCA adapters that let you hook up the amp, using your car's factory speaker wiring to supply the input signal. In some vehicles, the factory radio shuts down when you try to tap into the speaker wires, displaying a "no speakers are present" message. This amp features a special circuit that fools those factory radios by simulating a speaker load. The onboard crossovers and bass boost let you fine tune the system to perfection, and the large recessed knobs mean you don't need a tiny screwdriver to make your adjustments.
Really easy to install, and the disk that came with the amp made the set up quick and easy with a loud thump now
Devan, Newnan, Ga
What's in the Box:
- Mono subwoofer amplifier
- Three 40-amp ATO fuses (installed)
- 2 Speaker wire to RCA adapters
- Setup CD
- Warranty information
- Owner's manual (English/ German/ French/ Spanish/ Dutch/ Italian/ Swedish/ Danish/ Finnish/ Korean/ Japanese/ Chinese/ Russian/ Polish/ Portuguese/ Turkish/ Indonesian)
- mono subwoofer amplifier
- 650 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (1,000 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- frequency response: 10-280 Hz
- Class D amp technology
- variable low-pass filter (40-280 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- variable bass boost (0-12 dB at 45 Hz)
- Simple Setup System with test tone CD for perfect gain setting
- optional wired remote level controller available soon
- preamp and speaker-level inputs (speaker wire-to-RCA adapters included)
- switchable automatic signal-sensing turns on amp without need for remote lead
- fuse rating: 40A x 3
- 6- or 4-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 14-11/16"W x 2-5/8"H x 9-11/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
JBL GTO-1001EZ Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
650 x 1
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||1450 x 1|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||1000 x 1|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||10-280 Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||80 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||40-280 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/oct|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||N/A|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||N/A|
|Bass Boost||0-12 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||45 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||RCA|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Setup Disc: The included setup CD is used to optimize the input gain. A test tone is output from the disc and the Gain LEDs on the amp (green, yellow, red) guide you through adjusting the gain controls.
Note: The instructions in the first version of the manual indicate the radio should be at full volume when playing the setup disc; this is wrong and JBL is in the process of correcting the manual. The volume should actually be as high as possible without distorting the signal; this will be different for every radio, but approximately 3/4 volume is typical.
Auto Turn-on: The GTO-1001EZ has a signal sensing automatic turn-on circuit; it will turn on whenever an audio signal is present at the RCA inputs. The amplifier will automatically turn off approximately five minutes after the input signal ceases. If you prefer to use the radio's remote lead, the auto turn-on feature can be turned off.
Crossovers: Because this is a subwoofer amplifier, the low-pass crossover cannot be bypassed. The crossover point is continuously variable from 40 Hz to 280 Hz and the crossover's slope is 12 dB/octave.
Audio Input: If your radio has no line-level outputs, use the included adapters to convert the speaker wires to RCA and plug them into the amplifier's inputs. The input level switch has a Hi2 position, used to present a speaker load to factory radios equipped with a circuit that turns the radio off when an amp is connected.
- Crossover Frequency: rotary knob; continuously variable from 40 Hz to 280 Hz
- Input Gain: rotary knob (the gain LEDs are above the knob)
- Bass Boost: rotary knob; continuously variable from 0 to +12 dB; boost centered at 45 Hz
- Input Level: three position switch; Low, Hi1, or Hi2 (used only with factory radios having a circuit that turns the radio off when it sees no speaker load)
- Gain LEDs: on/off
- Auto Turn-on: on/off
- Power and Ground Terminals: set screw
terminals; accept up to 4 gauge bare wire
- Note: JBL recommends the power and ground cables be 6 gauge minimum. The recommended accessory list for the GTO-1001EZ includes wiring kits with 4 gauge wire and 150 amp fuses. If a different wiring kit having an in-line fuse smaller than 120 amps is used, a replacement fuse (at least 120 amps) must also be added.
- Remote Turn-on Terminal: set screw terminal; accepts up to 8 gauge bare wire
- Speaker terminal: one pair of set screw terminals; accepts up to 8 gauge bare wire
- Fuses: three ports for 40-amp ATO fuses (fuses are factory installed)
- Audio Input: left and right female RCA jacks; compatible with a speaker level signal using the included adapters
- Remote: RJ-25 jack (the wired remote is not yet available as of 2/17/12)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
ive never herd of 1.5ohm rating... i run my type r at 1 ohm stable. look up the manual... [ Theresa Jan 31, 2015 ]
would probably need to be either a 2 or 4 ohm load to work properly [ JOHN Jan 30, 2015 ]
Doubt it [ christian Jan 29, 2015 ]