Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
3-channel car amplifier — 50 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms + 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
Item # 109GTO3E | MFR # GTO-3EZ
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the JBL GTO-3EZ by Crutchfield's Buck Pomerantz
Efficient power for your music always set correctly
JBL's compact GTO-3EZ 3-channel amp will drive each of your front speakers with 50 watts RMS, while driving your subwoofer with up to 500 watts RMS, bringing exciting, visceral impact to the music in your car. Or, bridged in 2-channel mode, it can run a center channel speaker with up to 150 watts, to go along with that 500 watts RMS for the sub. This amp looks very cool with its "old-school" styling, and JBL includes a few innovations that really separate this amp from the others.
Simple Setup System for setting amp gain
One of the biggest problems with installing an amplifier is setting the gain properly. JBL has come up with a foolproof method for getting it right, ensuring full-power performance and distortion-free play. Using test tones on the included setup CD, you adjust the gain knob until the yellow light or the red light goes off, and the green "Gain OK" light comes on — it's that simple. You'll never have to worry again about your amp "clipping" the signal, and possibly damaging your speakers or subs.
Plays well with factory radios
This GTO amp comes with screw-on bare wire-to-RCA adapters that let you hook up the amp, using your car's factory speaker wiring to supply the input signal. In some vehicles, the factory radio shuts down when you try to tap into the speaker wires, displaying a "no speakers are present" message. This amp features a special circuit that fools those factory radios by simulating a speaker load. The onboard crossovers and bass boost let you fine tune the system to perfection, and the large recessed knobs mean you don't need a tiny screwdriver to make your adjustments.
GTO-3EZ output and power connection panel
What's in the Box:
- 3-Channel amplifier (two full range channels/one subwoofer channel)
- Two 35-amp ATO fuses (installed)
- 3 Speaker wire to RCA adapters
- Setup CD
- Warranty information
- Owner's manual (English/ German/ French/ Spanish/ Dutch/ Italian/ Swedish/ Danish/ Finnish/ Korean/ Japanese/ Chinese/ Russian/ Polish/ Portuguese/ Turkish/ Indonesian)
- 3-channel car amplifier
- 50 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms + 350 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
- 75 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms + 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- 150 watts RMS x 1 bridged at 4 ohms + 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- CEA-2006 compliant
- variable high-pass filter on front channels (40-220 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- variable low-pass filter on subwoofer channel (40-280 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- variable bass boost on sub channel (0-18 dB at 40 Hz)
- Simple Setup System with test tone CD for perfect gain setting
- optional wired remote bass level controller available soon
- preamp and speaker-level inputs (speaker wire-to-RCA adapters included)
- switchable automatic signal-sensing turns on amp without need for remote lead
- fuse rating: 35A x 2
- 8-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 11-15/16"W x 2-5/8"H x 9-11/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
JBL GTO-3EZ Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
50 x 2
350 x 1
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||1050 x 1|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||75 x 2|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||150 x 1|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||10-23000 Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||85 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||40-280 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/oct|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||40-220 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/oct|
|Bass Boost||0-12 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||45 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||RCA|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Multi-Channel Design: The JBL GTO-3EZ is a 3-channel amplifier, basically a 2-channel Class AB amplifier and a Class D mono subwoofer amplifier built into one chassis. The 2-channel section can be bridged, so the amp can be used as a 3-channel or 2-channel amplifier (in this 2-channel mode the output of the two channels is not equal).
CEA 2006 Compliant: The power ratings are measured according to the Consumer Electronics Association CEA-2006 standards. These standards allow you to accurately compare the rated power output of all CEA 2006-compliant amplifiers, even different brands. Manufacturers who adhere to the standards can display the CEA 2006 logo on their products and packaging. The power output is measured from 20 Hz to 20 kHz for the front channels and 20 Hz to 280 Hz for the subwoofer channel, using a 14.4 volt power supply, and with no more than 1% THD+N:
- Front Channels:
- 50 watts x 2-channels into 4-ohms
- 75 watts x 4-channels into 2-ohms
- 150 watts x 1-channel into 4-ohms (Bridged)
- Subwoofer Channel:
- 350 watts x 1-channel into 4-ohms
- 500 watts x 1-channel into 2-ohms
Setup Disc: The included setup CD is used to optimize the input gain. A test tone is output from the disc and the Gain LEDs on the amp (green, yellow, red) guide you through adjusting the gain controls.
Note: The instructions in the first version of the manual indicate the radio should be at full volume when playing the setup disc; this is wrong and JBL is in the process of correcting the manual. The volume should actually be as high as possible without distorting the signal; this will be different for every radio, but approximately 3/4 volume is typical.
Auto Turn-on: The GTO-3EZ has a signal sensing automatic turn-on circuit; it will turn on whenever an audio signal is present at any of the RCA inputs. The amplifier will automatically turn off approximately five minutes after the input signal ceases. If you prefer to use the radio's remote lead, the auto turn-on feature can be turned off.
Crossovers: There are two independent, built-in crossovers. The subwoofer channel has a low-pass crossover that cannot be bypassed. The crossover point is continuously variable from 40 Hz to 280 Hz and the crossover's slope is 12 dB/octave. The front channels' crossover can be set to high-pass, low-pass, or it can be bypassed (run full range). The crossover point is continuously variable from 40 Hz to 220 Hz and the crossover's slope is 12 dB/octave.
Audio Input: If your radio has no line-level outputs, use the included adapters to convert the speaker wires to RCA and plug them into the amplifier's inputs. The input level switch has a Hi2 position, used to present a speaker load to factory radios equipped with a circuit that turns the radio off when an amp is connected.
Sub Routing Switch: The signal for the subwoofer amplifier channel can be supplied from the dedicated subwoofer input (single RCA), or from the front channel inputs (stereo RCAs). Set the switch to F (front) or S (sub).
- Subwoofer channel:
- Crossover Frequency: rotary knob; continuously variable from 40 Hz to 280 Hz
- Input Gain: rotary knob (the gain LEDs are above the knob)
- Bass Boost: rotary knob; continuously variable from 0 to +12 dB; boost centered at 45 Hz
- Front channels:
- Crossover selector: three position switch; high-pass, full range, low-pass
- Crossover Frequency: rotary knob; continuously variable from 40 Hz to 220 Hz
- Input Gain: rotary knob (the gain LEDs are above the knob)
- Input Level: three position switch; Low, Hi1, or Hi2 (used only with factory radios having a circuit that turns the radio off when it sees no speaker load)
- Sub Routing Switch: F (front)/S (sub)
- Gain LEDs: on/off
- Auto Turn-on: on/off
- Power and Ground Terminals: set screw
terminals; accept up to 4 gauge bare wire
- Note: JBL recommends the power and ground cables be 8 gauge minimum. The recommended accessory list for the GTO-3EZ includes wiring kits with 8 gauge wire and either 50 or 60 amp fuses, but the amp has two 35 amp fuses (70 amps total), so if one of these kits is used a replacement fuse must also be added (at least 70 amps). If a 4 gauge wiring kit is used no additional fuse is necessary.
- Remote Turn-on Terminal: set screw terminal; accepts up to 8 gauge bare wire
- Speaker terminal: three pair of set screw terminals (for front left, front right, and sub); accept up to 8 gauge bare wire
- Fuses: two ports for 35-amp ATO fuses (fuses are factory installed)
- Audio Input: three female RCA jacks (left, right, and sub); compatible with a speaker level signal using the included adapters
- Remote: RJ-25 jack (the wired remote is not yet available as of 2/20/12)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.