JBL LINK 500
Wireless powered multi-room speaker with Google Assistant, Chromecast built-in, and Bluetooth® (Black)
Item # 109LNK500B | MFR # JBLLINK500BLKUS
$399.99 each Earn up to 400 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the JBL LINK 500 by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
“OK Google, play '90s tunes”
Shown in white
The JBL LINK 500 delivers big sound with maximum convenience. It has Google Assistant built-in for hands-free voice control. You can tell the LINK 500 to play a favorite song, give you the weather, and more. Google Assistant also gives you easy voice control over compatible smart home devices from Wemo, Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Nest, and others. The LINK 500 features two 3-1/2" woofers and two 3/4" tweeters for rich, room-filling stereo sound.
Chromecast for high-quality audio streaming
The LINK 500 uses Google's Chromecast built-in wireless audio platform. Stream music over your Wi-Fi® network from your favorite apps on your smartphone or tablet, such as Spotify®, TIDAL, Pandora®, Google Play Music, TuneIn, and iHeartRadio. Chromecast also plays music directly from the cloud, including great-sounding high-resolution audio files up to 24-bit/96kHz.
Simple multi-room audio
You can also make the LINK 500 part of a wireless whole-house audio system using your Wi-Fi network and other JBL LINK speakers. Have the LINK 10 in the kitchen play a Pandora station, while the LINK 500 in the family room plays a Spotify playlist. Or have multiple LINK speakers play the same song. And you can control it all just by saying "OK, Google."
The LINK 500 also has Bluetooth 4.2 built-in, so you can enjoy near-CD-quality sound with compatible devices.
- two 3-1/2" woofers for low and midrange, two 3/4" tweeters for highs
- maximum power: 60 watts (4 x 15 watts)
- frequency response: 55-22,000 Hz
- built-in Bluetooth 4.2 for streaming near-CD-quality music from your smartphone or tablet
- built-in voice control via Google Assistant
- far-field microphone and natural language processing ensure reliable voice recognition
- stay in the know about weather, traffic, finance, sports, and more
- set alarms, start timers, and add items to your shopping list
- Chromecast built-in for creating a multi-room audio setup with other JBL LINK wireless speakers
- control multi-room playback with two or more LINK wireless speakers
- control Chromecast built-in-compatible streaming services such as Spotify, TIDAL, Pandora, Google Play Music, TuneIn, and iHeartRadio (subscription required for some services)
- 24-bit/96kHz cloud streaming via Chromecast built-in
- built-in dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi for easy and stable connection to your network and the internet
- AC adapter
- 14-5/8"W x 7-7/8"H x 6-3/16"D
- weight: 7.72 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Voice-activated network speaker
- 5.5' AC power cord
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Card
- Important Safety Instructions
- "Meet your Google Assistant" note
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Link Series: The JBL Link 500 is a hands-free voice-activated speaker with Chromecast Audio Built-in & Google Assistant. Merging JBL's signature sound and Google's voice assistant technology, the JBL Link 500 brings together great sound and with a powerful digital voice assistant. The Link 500 also features high-definition music streaming with Chromecast Built-In, providing endless entertainment from the most popular music and entertainment apps - all through simple voice-commands. In addition, the Link 500 supports Bluetooth audio streaming.
Wireless Network Connection: To enjoy Chromecast Built-In & Google Assistant, you will need to connect the JBL Link 500 to your wireless home network. The JBL Link 500 is equipped with dual-band (2.4GHz/5GHz) WiFi (802.11b/g/n/ac) for a high-performance wireless network connection.
Easy Setup with the Google Home App: Use the Google Home App for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.2+ to connect the JBL Link 500 to your home's wireless WiFi network, as well as setup the Google Assistant & Chromecast Built-in from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. You also get to configure compatible apps within the Google Home App, plus adjust other various settings.
Two-Way, Stereo Speaker Configuration: The JBL Link 500 features a two-way driver design in a stereo configuration with four high performance JBL transducers, including two 0.75" tweeters and two 3.5" woofers powered by a 60 watt amplifier for room-filling, full-range sound (each driver receives 15 watts). The tweeters deliver a crisp high frequency and midrange response, while the woofers along with a rear-firing 4" passive radiator deliver deep, rich midbass and bass performance.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The the included 5.5' detachable AC power cord plugs into the back of the JBL Link 500 and an AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately). The JBL Link 500 is not battery powered.
Automatic OTA Updates: All new firmware & software updates will happen over-the-air (OTA) automatically. The Link 500 must to be connected to your WiFi network with at least 30% battery and plugged into the charger to automatically update new firmware & software.
Chromecast Built-In: With Chromecast built-in, you can instantly stream select online music, radio, and podcast services from your Apple iOS or Android device to the JBL Link 500 speaker. Chromecast built-in streams your music directly from the cloud instead of from your phone, so you won't lose any sound quality or drain your device's battery.
Note: The JBL Link 500 is not made for video streaming; you will experience video delay when streaming YouTube and any other videos.
24-Bit/96kHz Audio: Chromecast Built-In streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the highest sound quality (up to 24-bit/96kHz) and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. The JBL Link supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files.
Music & Radio: Chromecast Built-in lets you play music from popular music services by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, YouTube Music, iHeart Radio, and more (subscription fees may apply). Chromecast Built-in currently supports a single account per user (up to 6) and streaming service.
Podcasts: With the JBL Link 500 and Chromecast Built-in, you can listen to your favorite podcasts and shows. Currently, you can't request podcasts from partner podcast players - like Spotify, Google Play Music, and TuneIn.
News, Weather & Sports: With Chromecast Built-in you'll get the latest news and weather from sources you trust. You can listen to top headlines, get the latest on a certain category of news (like world, weather, business, tech, etc.), or ask about a specific news item. With Chromecast Built-in, you can even stay up-to-date on your favorite sports, teams, and games.
Android Music Library: Stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 4.4.2+) device to the JBL Link 500. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device.
Multi-Room Audio: Group multiple speakers with Chromecast built-in together to enjoy the same song in every room through the Google Home App on your Apple iOS or Android device. Now, you can enjoy music streaming in high-resolution (up to 24-bit/96kHz) across all your Chromecast enabled speakers.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: In addition to streaming music over your wireless network through Chromecast Built-In, the Link 500 also offers built-in Bluetooth 4.2 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP/AVRCP). You can stream stored music and music apps on your Bluetooth source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, or computer) to the JBL Link 500. Up to three devices can be paired with the Link 500, but only one device can be used to stream music at a time. Once paired, the Link 500 will automatically re-connect with paired devices when in wireless range (up to 33').
- SBC & AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the JBL Link 500 offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the Link 500 offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Playback Control: You'll also be able to operate Play & Pause functions from the speaker's top-panel controls. In addition to Play/Pause, you are able to skip to the next track using the Google Assistant and your voice.
Note: The Link 500 does not support Bluetooth hands-free phone communication (HFP). However, you can use the Google Assistant over your WiFi network to make phone calls.
Built-in Google Assistant: The JBL Link 500 is a voice-activated speaker powered by Google Assistant. By saying "Ok Google", the Link 500 can help perform tasks like playing a favorite song or controlling smart home devices, checking the latest weather, traffic, & finance reports, and finding out the latest sports scores. Thanks to Google's rich history in search, the JBL Link with Google Assistant is ready for all your questions and commands.
- Far-Field Voice Recognition: Far-field voice recognition allows for easy hands-free operation. Say your commands and ask your questions form across the room and the JBL Link 500 will respond. Four LED's on the front of the Link 500 will light up to indicate that it heard your command or question and is working on a response or action.
- Microphone Mute: You can mute the JBL Link 500's microphone for privacy. Four amber LED lights will indicate that you have muted the microphone and the Google Assistant. The Link 500 will not react to any voice keywords unless you un-mute the microphone.
- Multi-User Accounts: The Google Assistant has the ability to recognize up to six different users. So when you ask the Google Assistant for help, it can distinguish your voice from your spouse or kids, and you'll be able to hear your own personal playlists, your own commute time, your own schedule and more.
Notes: Click here for Google Home's FAQ site.
Music & Radio: Use your voice to select, play, and control music from compatible Chromecast Built-In music services - like Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, YouTube Music, iHeart Radio, and more.
Home Entertainment Compatible: Using only your voice, you can initiate and control audio to any speaker, receiver, or TV with Chromecast, Chromecast Audio, or Chromecast built-in. You'll have access to Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume control of each compatible device.
News, Weather & Sports: With the built-in Google Assistant, you can ask about top headlines, get the latest on a certain category of news (like world, weather, business, tech, etc.), or ask about a specific news item. With Google Assistant, you can even stay up-to-date on your favorite sports, teams, and games using just your voice.
Hands-Free Calling: The JBL Link 500 with Google Assistance supports hands-free calling, so you can call friends, family, and businesses using just your voice. Call your own personal contacts or millions of businesses thanks to Google's extensive business listings. You can also call a number by speaking it aloud. Google does not record any of the phone conversation. Answering incoming calls and calls to emergency services are not supported.
Smart Home Automation: The JBL Link with Google Assistant lets you control devices around your home from Google Home compatible smart home automation partners - like Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Belkin Wemo, Nest, Honeywell, and more. You can even create your own voice commands for the Google Assistant on your Apple iOS or Android device using IFTTT (If This, Then That).
- Light Control: With Philips Hue or lights connected to Samsung SmartThings, you can use your voice to control the lights around your house without touching a switch (Philips Hue Scenes are not supported).
- Smart Plugs & Switch Control: You can also use your voice to control Belkin Wemo plugs or switches and plugs or switches connected to SmartThings using just your voice and the Google Assistant.
- Thermostat Control: You can use your voice with the Google Assistant to control the temperature in your home, switch between heating and cooling modes, and more (compatible thermostats include the Nest Thermostat, the Honeywell thermostat, or select thermostats connected to Samsung SmartThings).
Manage Tasks & Plan Your Day: Ask the JBL Link 500 with Google Assistant about your day and hear the information you need without going online or opening your calendar. Also, use voice commands to set alarms and timers for things you need to do.
- Calendar & Event Information: Use Google Home and Google Calendar to get information about an event or get your schedule for the day from Google Calendar - using only your voice. Currently, you will only hear events from the main calendar associated with the Google Account used to set up Google Home. You can't add events to your Google Calendar using your voice. You can even use Google Assistant and Gmail to get status updates on your upcoming flights.
- Traffic, Commute, & Flight Information: With Google Home, you can always get to work on time by hearing information about your commute, traffic conditions, and your estimated time of arrival. You can even call a car to come pick you up with Uber.
- Weather Forecast Information: With Google Home, you can listen to the current weather and upcoming forecast for your location using only your voice.
- Local Business & Shopping Info: With Google Assistant, you can search for local places and ask for important information, like hours of operation or addresses. Order everyday essentials & add items to your shopping list with your Google Assistant on Google Home. Add items to your
- Alarms & Timers: Set, check, cancel, stop, and snooze multiple recurring alarms. Never run late or miss a flight or meeting. You can set and manage alarms with just your voice. Set and manage a timer for cooking, game time, laundry and to track other activities using the timer on Google Home. It's great for the kitchen, but can be used in the living room, bedroom, and more. Set, pause, check, resume, and cancel timers.
Get Answers: The Link 500's built-in Google Assistant helps you find answers for many of your daily questions through the Google search engine - including calculations, translations, unit conversions, nutrition, dictionary, finances, facts, and more.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.