Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
4-channel car amplifier 100 watts RMS x 4
Item # 109MSA1004 | MFR # MS-A1004
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the JBL MS-A1004 by Crutchfield's Buck Pomerantz
JBL's Tiny amps
JBL's stylish MS Series "Tiny" amps measure only 7" by 8" so you can tuck one into virtually any hiding place that has adequate ventilation. Or you can mount one in a prominent spot to show off the bright digital display with its tone and gain settings. These unique amps come with a setup CD and include built-in indicators that help you set the input level perfectly. They also feature preamp and speaker-level inputs so you can hook them up to almost any system.
Digital signal processing
The MS-A1004 sends 100 watts RMS to each of your front and rear speakers for clear, powerful reproduction of your music. You can also switch the MS-A1004 into 2-channel mode to drive a couple of subs with 200 watts RMS each, and you can run the amp safely with 2-ohm subs in bridged mode. Digital processing gives you a wide selection of crossover points and a choice of three filter slopes to get just the right tone from your system.
An optional remote bass controller does much more than just turn this amp up and down. This wireless controller works with multiple MS Series amps at the same time, coordinating the low frequencies of all the amps to blend smoothly so you don't get a bunch of mud when you boost the bass. A signal-sensing turn-on circuit eliminates the need for a separate lead from your receiver, and a special input mode allows this amp to work even when there's a factory amplifier in your car's system.
This is one of my favorite amps ever!! really makes my kappa sound amazing
JBL AMP, texas
What's in the Box:
- 4-Channel amplifier
- Two 30-amp ATO fuses (installed)
- 4 Speaker wire to RCA adapters
- 4mm Allen wrench
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- Setup CD
- Owner's manual
- 4-channel car amplifier
- 100 watts RMS x 4 (2 to 4 ohms)
- 200 watts RMS x 2 (2 to 4 ohms)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- selectable high- and low-pass filters (20-20K Hz; 6, 12, or 24 dB/octave)
- optional wireless remote bass controller (automatically pairs with multiple JBL MS Series amps)
- Class-D amplifier design
- digital signal processing settings stored in non-volatile memory, no settings lost if power is disconnected
- input mixer distributes signal without need for Y-cables
- speaker-level inputs (RCA adapters included)
- "Hi2" input setting provides factory system amps with output loads, eliminating "speaker disconnected" error messages
- CD for system setup included
- preamp inputs and outputs
- output level controls
- fuse rating: 30A x 2
- 8-gauge power and ground leads and an 60-amp fuse recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 7-1/4"W x 2-13/16"H x 8-13/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
JBL MS-A1004 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
100 x 4
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||100 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||200 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||2|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||10-27000 Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||80 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||20-20 kHz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||6, 12, 24 dB/oct|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||20-20 kHz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||6, 12, 24 dB/oct|
|Bass Boost||Optional remote only|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||RCA|
|Preamp Outputs||1 pair|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Digital Signal Processing: The MS-A1004 is a four channel amplifier with a digital signal processor (DSP) built in to control input mixing, crossover settings, and output level. Once the gain is adjusted for the incoming signals, they are converted from analog to digital and routed through the DSP, then to the Class-D amplifier.
4-Channel Design: While four channel amps are typically used to power front and rear speakers, the input and output channels are labeled 1-4 for maximum flexibility without added confusion. Because the crossovers can be set to high-pass, low-pass, or band-pass with crossover points ranging from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, the MS-A1004 can be used to power almost any combination of speakers; four full range speakers, two tweeters and two midrange (powered separately), two full range speakers and a subwoofer (bridged), two subwoofers (both bridged), etc. Channels one and two share controls, as do channels three and four. Controls include input gain, input mixer, high-pass crossover, low-pass crossover, and output level.
Setup Disc: The included setup CD is used to correctly adjust the input gain. With the amp in setup mode, a test tone is output from the disc with the radio at full volume (the amplifier output is muted) and the amp measures the line voltage, guiding you with arrows on the display as you adjust the gain controls.
Signal Sensing: The MS-A1004 has a remote turn-on terminal that activates the amp with an input between +5 and 12+ volts DC. If the connected radio has no remote lead, or you prefer not to use it, turn on the signal sensing turn-on circuit and the amp will turn on whenever an audio signal is present at the inputs.
Crossovers: Each set of outputs (1/2 and 3/4) has independent high-pass and low-pass crossovers; they can be used individually or both can be used together as a band-pass crossover. The slope of each is adjustable (6 dB/oct, 12 dB/oct, and 24 dB/oct) and the crossover point has 98 options:
- 20 Hz to 45 Hz in 2.5 Hz steps
- 50 Hz to 130 Hz in 5 Hz steps
- 140 Hz to 300 Hz in 10 Hz steps
- 350 Hz to 800 Hz in 50 Hz steps
- 900 Hz to 2 kHz in 100 Hz steps
- 2.2 kHz to 5 kHz in 200 Hz steps
- 5.5 kHz to 10 kHz in 500 Hz steps
- 12 kHz to 20 kHz in 2 kHz steps
Subsonic Filter: When powering a subwoofer, the high-pass crossover can be adjusted to act as a subsonic filter (20 Hz, 25 Hz, etc).
Audio Input: If your radio has no line-level outputs, use the included adapters to convert the speaker wires to RCA and plug them into the amplifier's inputs. The differential inputs will accept any signal from 100mV to 15.0V; set the input selector switch to Hi when using speaker-level inputs. The input selector switch also has a Hi2 position, used to present a speaker load to factory radios equipped with a circuit that turns the radio off when an amp is connected.
Wireless Bass Control: An optional MS-WBC wireless bass control (item number 109MSWBC, sold separately) is available to remotely adjust the bass output. The MS-WBC communicates via RF signal and requires no physical connection to the amp; it's also battery powered, but has an optional power wire if you prefer not to replace the battery periodically. When adjusting the bass output, the DSP also adjusts the crossover, so the tonal quality of the bass (and its apparent location) doesn't change.
Controls: Each of the following is set independently for the 1/2 channel and 3/4 channel outputs:
- Input Gain: rotary knobs
- Input Selector: three position switch; Lo (line-level RCA), Hi (speaker-level), or Hi2 (used only with factory radios having a circuit that turns the radio off when it sees no speaker load)
- Input Mixer: one, two, three, or four inputs can be used with no need for Y-adapters; 1 (mono input 1 feeds both outputs), 1/2 (stereo inputs 1 and 2 feed the stereo outputs), 3 (mono input 3 feeds both outputs), 3/4 (stereo inputs 3 and 4 feed the stereo outputs)
- High-Pass Crossover Slope: 6 dB/oct, 12 dB/oct, or 24 dB/oct
- High-Pass Crossover Frequency: choose from 97 options from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, or off
- Low-Pass Crossover Frequency: choose from 97 options from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, or off
- Low-Pass Crossover Slope: 6 dB/oct, 12 dB/oct, or 24 dB/oct
- Output Level: adjust from 0 to 80; important when matching tweeters and midrange, subwoofer and full range speakers, etc
Inputs and Outputs:
- Power and Ground Terminals: set screw terminals; accept up to 4 gauge bare wire; requires included 4mm Allen wrench
- Remote Turn-on Terminal: set screw terminal, accepts up to 8 gauge bare wire; requires included 2.5mm Allen wrench
- Speaker terminals: set screw terminals, accept up to 8 gauge bare wire; require included 2.5mm Allen wrench
- Audio Inputs: 4 female RCA jacks; channels 1, 2, 3, and 4; compatible with a speaker level signal using the included adapters
- Line Level Outputs: 2 female RCA jacks; top is summed from inputs 1 and 3, bottom is summed from inputs 2 and 4; no crossover is applied
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.