Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Our take on the Jensen VM9116 by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
Big screen, great looks
Jensen's VM9116 DVD receiver puts a big 7" display into your single-DIN (2" tall) dash opening. Press a button and the screen motors out, giving you touchscreen controls with easy access to all functions. You can select from five different graphic backgrounds to suit your taste, and adjust the screen angle so the picture looks its best. When you want to keep a lower profile, retract the screen and keep playing your music — a secondary display keeps you posted on system information.
Video and audio options
The video screen lets you enjoy DVDs when you're parked, while the front-panel audio/video input provides a convenient connection for accessories like a camcorder, game system, or other audio and video sources. You can expand the video system by plugging in an external monitor to the video output — perfect for entertaining your passengers on long road trips or jaunts to soccer practice. Add Jensen's jLink-USB cable to tap into video content from your iPod® or iPhone® (video not available with Lightning connector equipped devices.)
You can play your favorite storebought or recordable CDs and DVDs, plus discs you've loaded with MP3 and WMA files. You'll find a front USB input, too — handy for plugging in your iPod®, iPhone®, Android phone, or thumb drives loaded with music.
The big 7" screen motors out to give you touchscreen access to most functions, along with some cool graphics.
You can add some thump to your tunes by connecting an amp or powered subwoofer to the rear and subwoofer preamp outputs. Adjust the 3-band parametric equalizer to zero in on the perfect tone, or keep it simple by selecting one of the eight preset EQ curves.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check Details for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
Great radio for the price. Easy to install looks great either screen out or not. Sound quality is decent but that could also be due to the 20 year old speakers I have I hooked to. Very user friendly can't beat it for the price!!
Waterboy, Grand Rapids mi
What's in the Box:
- DVD receiver (w/ motorized 7" monitor)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- Metal backstrap
- Rear support stud
- Rubber bushing
- Self-tapping screw
- 2 Counter-sunk machine screws
- 4 Large pan-head machine screws
- 4 Small pan-head machine screws
- Operating Instructions
- Installation Guide
- "STOP" sheet
- Limited Warranty information
- in-dash DVD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- internal amp (13 watts RMS CEA-2006/40 peak x 4 channels)
- 7" motorized flip-out touchscreen and selectable graphic backgrounds
- secondary display with 8-character LED readout
- fits single-DIN (2" tall) dash openings
- plays audio/video content from CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Details tab for full capabilities)
- 3-band parametric equalizer with 8 preset EQ curves
- low-pass filter and subwoofer level control
- iPod control: iPod control: Jensen jLinkUSB cable required for full access to audio/video content
- inputs: front A/V input, front USB input, rear-view camera input
- outputs: 3-channel preamp outputs (rear, mono sub), video output
Jensen VM9116 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||Mini (front)|
|Audio/video Input||3.5mm (front)|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power Output||13 watts|
|Peak Output||40 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
Motorized 7" TFT LCD Touchscreen Monitor: The Jensen VM9116 features a motorized-retractable 7" TFT Active Matrix, 16:9 touchscreen LCD monitor with an adjustable viewing angle. The resolution of the display is 1440 x 234 for a total of 336,960 pixels. This unit has touchscreen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy.
- Auto Open/Close: When this feature is active, the display automatically opens when the ignition switch is turned on and closes when the ignition switch is turned off.
- Monitor Angle Adjustment: You can adjust the monitor's angle for better visibility. The display tilts forward and backward to multiple tilt positions, and can be controlled by the button on the top of the frame of the screen and rotary knob.
- Selectable Backgrounds: You can select from five background wallpapers (Engine Button, Green Cubes, Red Swirl, Tribal, or Blue Haze).
Secondary LCD Display: In addition to the 7" motorized flip-out monitor the Jensen VM9116 features a secondary single-line LCD on its front-panel. This display can be used to during CD-audio, Aux-in, USB/iPod, or AM/FM playback; and to select from the preset EQ settings. You will need to use the 7" LCD monitor display for menu functions and to view video.
12 or 24 Hour Clock: You can set the unit to display a 12 or 24 hour clock.
Hard-Key Controls: In addition to the unit's LCD touchscreen controls, the VM9116 also features hard-key controls on the front of the unit; such as Power, Volume, Source, Monitor Open/Close, Eject functions. One of the hard-keys is a 3-way rotary encoder audio control.
Parking Brake Detection: For safety reasons, you cannot view a video source on the built-in monitor as long as the vehicle is in motion. In order to display video, the pink wire (attached to rear-chassis) must be hardwired into the vehicle's parking brake light circuit, and the vehicle's parking brake must be engaged.
AM/FM Tuner: The head unit features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, scan, preset, and direct tuning.
- Preset Tuning: The unit features 3 FM bands and 2 AM bands with the capability of storing 6 presets for each band giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets (30 total). You can also automatically store the six strongest stations in your area inside the current selected band.
- Preset Scan: In addition, the tuner features a Preset Scan function which allows you to preview your stored preset stations in the selected band.
- Preview Scan: The Scan function will play the first five seconds of each station, until you find a station you like.
- Local Seek: The unit's tuner also is equipped with a Seek mode that when used with the Local function, only allows radio stations with a strong local radio signals to be played.
- Direct Tuning: The built-in AM/FM tuner also allows direct frequency tuning through the unit's touchscreen panel.
Note: The tuner features selectable North America and European tuning.
Disc Compatibility: The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier, so you don't have to wait for the unit's monitor to retract. The VM9116 supports playback of DVD Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs. The unit supports MPEG-1/MPEG-2 video & JPEG files recorded on to CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW discs. It also supports playback of MP3/WMA music files loaded onto a CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW disc.
Front-Panel USB Port: The Jensen VM9116 features a front-panel USB type-A port for connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as your Android smartphone, portable digital audio player, or USB thumbdrive. The USB port enables playback of MP3/WMA audio files recorded in FAT16 or FAT32 on a connected USB mass storage class device. The head unit also supports JPEG still image playback via USB. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the DVD receiver's USB port (5V/500mA), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
File Compatibility: The Jensen VM9116 supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW||USB|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3:
bit rate up to 128kbps w/ sampling frequency up to 48kHz
WMA: bit rate up to 128kbps w/ sampling frequency up to 48kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||1,500 total songs/files|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags, WMA-tags|
Playback Functions: The Jensen VM9116 offers a variety of playback functions to enjoy your music, video, and photo files.
- Slow Motion: Plays the current DVD video title in slow motion.
- Repeat Play: Repeat Chapter, Titles, Tracks, and Folders on a disc or USB device.
- A-B Repeat: A-B Repeat allows you to repeat a specific section of a DVD.
- Random Play: When playing a disc or USB device, you can play audio tracks/files in random order.
Search Functions: The VM9116 provides various search functions to find your music, videos, and photos.
- Playlist Screen: The Playlist Screen provides a search list for music, video, or photo files stored on your MP3/WMA disc or USB device.
- Fast Forward/Fast Reverse: When playing a disc or USB device, there are four fast-play speeds in both directions - 2x, 4x, 8x, and 16x.
- Intro Scan: During music playback you can play the first 10 seconds of each track or file.
- Direct Search: During disc or USB playback you can use the numeric keypad on the touch-screen display to access a chapter/track directly.
Parental Lock: The DVD system has a built-in Parental Lock feature to prevent unauthorized persons from viewing restricted disc content. By default, the rating system is unlocked. You can choose from 8 different levels of Parental Lock. Once setup, the parental lock is released only by entering the user 4-digit password.
Off Eject: You can eject a disc with the unit powered off. You cannot insert a disc with the head unit powered off.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: The Jensen VM9116 supports connection to either Dock-connector or Lightning-connector Apple iPods and iPhones.
- 30-Pin Dock Connector iPod/iPhone: The optional jLink-USB cable (110JLINUSB, sold separately) allows you to connect your iPod or iPhone to VM9116 through the head unit's front-panel USB port and 3.5mm AV input. This type of connection supports playback of audio/video content stored on your Apple device, as well as music and movies streamed to your iPhone from select apps. If you only require iPod/iPhone audio playback, you can simply connect your iPod/iPhone to the VM9116 via the USB/Dock connector cable that came with your iPod/iPhone.
- Lightning-Connector iPod/iPhone: If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5/5C/5S; use the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the head unit. These Apple devices only support audio playback from music stored on the device or select music apps streamed to the iPhone 5/5C/5S. These devices do not support video output.
iPod/iPhone Control: You can control your connected iPod/iPhone from the head unit's touchscreen. You can use the VM9116's touchscreen to browse your music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, or Podcast. You can browse your videos by Movie, Music Videos, TV Shows, Video Podcasts, Rentals, and Video Playlists. You can also access a music track directly by using the head unit's touchscreen keypad. In addition, you can activate Random & Repeat playback modes. Most iPod/iPhone device's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked during connection (Apple devices w/ iOS 6.0+ will stay unlocked).
Information Display: The Jensen VM9116 will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information from stored music and select music apps. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song/Album title, and Album Art.
Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 0.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Jensen VM9116 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and support the following iPod/iPhone model features (12/8/2013):
|iPod/iPhone||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art|
- *Requires the Lightning-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device for audio playback only. These devices do not support video output.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the VM9116 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the VM9116 are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 13 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 40 watts x 4 channels (160 watts total)
2V/3CH Preamp Output: The VM9116 is equipped with three 2-volt preamp outputs (Left/Right Rear + mono-Sub). The rear preamp outputs offer balance/fade control and are designed to connect to a full-range amplifier. The mono-subwoofer preamp output is non-fading and designed to hookup to a mono-block subwoofer amplifier.
Subwoofer Controls: The Jensen VM9116 offers the following subwoofer controls, when you have the unit's subwoofer preamp output activated.
- Low Pass Crossover: The receiver features a built-in Low Pass Crossover for subwoofer preamp output. You can select from 80Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz, or off.
- Subwoofer Level: Once the Subwoofer preamp output is activated, you can independently control the subwoofer preamp output level (+/-14) from the DVD receiver.
EQ: The VM9116 features a Preset & Custom EQ. The built-in equalizer offers 8 preset sound modes (Acoustic, Urban, Rave, Latin, Dance, Hip Hop, Rock, or User) suitable for the music genre of your choice. The User mode allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 3-band parametric EQ (Frequency/Level).
|Bass||60, 80, 100, 200 Hz||-14 to +14||1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 2.0|
|Midrange||0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 kHz||-14 to +14||0.5, 0.7, 1.0, 1.25|
|Treble||10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5 kHz||-14 to +14||Fixed|
Loudness: The Loudness feature compensates for deficiencies in the low and high sound ranges at low volume.
DRC: This function reduces a Dolby Digital soundtrack's dynamic range so you can hear quieter dialog without being overwhelmed by loud sections. You can choose a setting of Auto or On.
Source Level: You can increase the relative volume (+/-6dB) of the unit's source inputs to match the external source's output level. The Source Level can be used for the VM9116's Radio, Disc, USB, iPod, or AV input.
Programmable Turn-On Volume: You can set the head unit to turn-on to the last volume level adjustment when turned off, or turn-on to a pre-defined volume level (0-40) every time you power up the radio.
Beep Tones: An audible beep tone confirms each function selection. The beep tone can be disabled/enabled in the Setup Menu.
Heat Management: The unit has a heat management system which incorporates forced-air cooling to keep the chip-sets operating at nominal temperatures for reliable operation and sound quality.
Front-Panel AV Input: The VM9116 features a front-panel 3.5mm AV input for connecting a portable audio/video device such as a portable digital media player. This input is also used to connect the optional jLink-USB cable for iPod/iPhone video playback.
Video Out: A single RCA composite video-output jack allows you to an add external monitor such as rear headrest monitor (sold separately). The video output will display whatever video signal that is being displayed on the head unit's touchscreen monitor.
Rear View Camera Input: The VM9116 features a composite video input and a green/white wire lead attached to the harness for connection of a rear view camera (sold separately). If a rear-view video camera is connected, the unit is on, and the TFT monitor is retracted inside the unit, the TFT monitor automatically moves into the viewing position and Camera mode is selected upon shifting into Reverse gear (takes approximately 7.1 seconds). When shifting into Drive gear, the TFT monitor is retracted back inside the unit. If the monitor is already in a viewing position and in display mode, the monitor automatically switches to Camera mode upon shifting into Reverse (takes approximately 1.2 seconds). When the reverse driving stops, the monitor returns to its original input display mode. You can choose for the monitor to display a Mirror mode image or a Normal mode image from the rear-view camera.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
3 questions already asked
The ability to retain steering wheel controls with aftermarket receivers will be determined by the receiver you are using and the vehicle you have. For full information on this type of integration (including the parts you will need) please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Feb 07, 2014 ] Staff
4 answers I'm looking for a replacement for my factory radio (2005 Dodge Ram) which will not disgorge cd's any more. I'd like to add a rear view camera for both my truck and a truck camper. The video with this Jensen VM9116 looks like an inexpensive way to achieve this. I'm not real concerned with sound quality, I listen mostly to books on cd but would like to listen off my android phone too. Any thoughts? [ Art Dec 31, 2013 ]
The rear view camera works very good, has a wide view of area. The whole radio system is very good. [ RAYMOND W Dec 31, 2013 ]
Hi .. the sound quality is fantastic. I put new speakers in the van. Its perfect. The only problem is that you cannot fix the unit into place as the dash board slopes out at the top. This then stop the screen from opening up fully. I just didn't screw it in flush. Other than that ive a great new stereo. The other problem as well was the fact that I cannot , as yet, get the screen to work. It needs wiring into the brake, but my van hasnt the wiring for that --- I still have to speak to crutchfield to see if there is a solution for that. Over all great value and pleased I installed it. [ ANDREW S Dec 31, 2013 ]
Art, my wife has had no complaints with this radio in her Grand Cherokee. Video quality seems good. I put a couple DVDs in just to try it out. I just got the rearview/back up camera for it but have yet to install it. But overall for the price, nothing to complain about. Crutchfield is extremely helpful with any and every question you could have, though the install really is a breeze. Good Luck. Hope this helped. [ BENJAMIN Dec 31, 2013 ]
I had the same problem with my Dodge factory radio, replaced it with the Jensen because it had a port for a usb drive. I loved having the 6 cd changer in my old radio, but it pales with having a 8 gb drive with a menu to find any song or audio program easily. It's easy to find chapters in books also. Now instead of 6 cd's I have about 50 on a menu driven system. The sound quality was as great as my aftermarket speakers could repordouce. The cable I got for the rearview camera split into two cables, I'm not sure if that gave me a loss of video response or if the camera is a little underperforming, but with the sun at my back I don't get a very good picture. It's still good to have the rearview camera when backing up because I often have a load in the back of the truck and have to rely on side mirrors, the rearview camera makes me more confident I'm not going to run over any grandkids. [ DAVID Dec 31, 2013 ]
This main part of this unit is a standard DIN size. This means it is roughly 7" x 2" (the exact dimensions will differ very slightly depending on how you mount it). For more specific information, please feel free to reach out to an Advisor by phone or online chat. They'll be happy to get you all the specs on this unit. [ Jeff Dec 14, 2013 ] Staff