Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Kenwood Excelon KVT-717DVD
DVD/CD player with 7" video screen (New Stock)
Our take on the Kenwood Excelon KVT-717DVD by Crutchfield's Matt Freeman
Lay down a strong foundation for your mobile video system with Kenwood's KVT-717DVD in-dash DVD player. You'll have an easy time using the touchscreen controls a few taps on the motorized, retractable 7" screen is all it takes to change sources, select DVD menu items, choose the MP3 files you want to hear, and more. Best of all, you can use its array of inputs and outputs to hook up an assortment of extra components to create an impressive multimedia entertainment package in your vehicle.
When you're parked, you can watch your favorite DVDs on the built-in screen. Just tap the screen to select options from the DVD's menu no more fumbling with a remote control or cumbersome cursor. Finding your favorite scene or accessing special features is easier than ever.
Connect a backseat monitor and a set of wireless headphones to the audio/video output, and your passengers in the back can watch movies while you drive. Activate dual-zone mode to enjoy another source, such as the AM/FM radio, up front.
Be sure to bring along the discs you've loaded with your MP3 and WMA files. The KVT-717DVD's powerful internal amplifier and comprehensive sound controls work together to make them (or anything you're listening to) sound great. If you want even more forceful playback, use the 5-volt front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs to add component amplifiers.
You've also got the option of adding extra audio/video gear (like a game system or VCR) to the two audio/video inputs. Connect a compatible satellite radio tuner, and you'll be able to enjoy everything XM or SIRIUS has to offer (subscription also required). An additional HD Radio tuner lets you get into CD-like FM broadcasts, and FM-quality AM (where available). And you can control your iPod® using the KVT-717DVD's touchscreen controls with the help of Kenwood's optional iPod control interface.
Let me say that this is by far the best indash ive ever had, picture quality,sound everything.it is the best,it is very easy to install.the only negative would be no tv tuner but other than that it is great i highly recommend to all
What's in the Box:
- AM/FM/DVD/Changer controller receiver
- Detachable protection panel
- Trim ring
- Plastic detachable protection panel case
- Hideaway unit
- RC-DV601 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 1 Remote control holder (attached to remote)
- 1 Section of double-stick tape (for mounting the remote control holder)
- 19.5' Connection cable (has 21-pin connector on each end)
- 19.5' Antenna cord (has a male Motorola plug on one end and a female Motorola plug on the other end)
- 19.5' Hideaway unit wiring harness (has in-line 10A fuse)
- 12" Head unit wiring harness with a 6.5' parking sensor lead and a 19.5' reverse lead (has in-line noise filter and 5A fuse)
- 2 Hideaway installation brackets
- 2 Head unit mounting brackets
- 2 Removal tools
- 4 Self-tapping screws
- 4 Machine screws (each screw has 1 flat washer and 1 lock washer)
- 4 Panhead ISO-mount screws
- 4 Countersunk ISO-mount screws
- Instruction Manual (English)
- Instruction Manual (Spanish)
- Instruction Manual (French)
- Installation Manual (English/French/Spanish)
- Warranty Card
- Caution sheet
- Kenwood Car Audio Passport
- DVD/CD player with built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- motorized, retractable 7" LCD video screen with touchscreen controls and six selectable backgrounds
- direct touchscreen selection of DVD menu items
- detachable control panel with secondary display for use when screen is retracted
- plays DVDs, DVD-Rs, DVD-RWs, CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, Video CDs, JPEG images, and MP3/WMA discs
- System Q sound control
- System E's+ Advanced Crossover system
- Installer Memory saves audio settings when battery is disconnected
- XM and SIRIUS Satellite Radio-ready (you can add satellite radio for under $100, plus subscription)
- HD Radio-ready (Kenwood HD Radio tuner required)
- compatible with Kenwood's iPod control interface
- CD changer controls
- two audio/video inputs
- rear-view camera input
- input for Kenwood navigation system
- TV tuner controls
- audio/video output
- dual-zone capability
- 5-volt front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs
- CR-2 AM/FM tuner
- 18 FM/6 AM presets
- wireless remote
- DVD signal-to-noise ratio: 98 dB
- FM sensitivity: 9.3 dBf
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
Kenwood Excelon KVT-717DVD Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|RMS Power Output||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Red or green|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||---|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
Security Code: You may program the unit with a 4 digit security code. Once the unit has been programmed with a security code, the code must be entered to use the unit after it has been disconnected from power.
Detachable Protection Panel: To prevent theft, the protection panel can be detached.
Motorized Video Display: This unit is equipped with a motorized 7" widescreen LCD that serves as a video monitor and system information display.
Touch Screen Controls: This unit has touch screen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy. The screen is non-glare and smudge-resistant.
Display Angle and Position Adjustment: You can adjust the display's angle and position for better visibility. The display slides forward and backward, allowing you to choose one of 4 slide positions. You can also choose one of 8 tilt angles.
Auto Open/Close: When this feature is active, the display automatically opens when the unit is turned on and closes when the unit is turned off.
Display Adjustment: You can adjust the display's brightness, color, tint, contrast, and black level. Additionally, you can change the background and menu graphics.
Selectable Screen Viewing Modes: You can choose from the following screen modes:
- Normal: displays 16:9 widescreen format pictures that fill the entire screen width, and 4:3 (conventional TV) pictures display with black bars on either side
- Full: expands 4:3 pictures horizontally to fill the entire width of the screen, distorting the picture slightly but retaining full image height
- Just: expands 4:3 pictures horizontally only at the edges
- Cinema: expands 4:3 pictures both horizontally and vertically, filling the screen without distorting the picture
- Zoom: expands 4:3 pictures both horizontally and vertically, filling the screen without distorting the picture but cutting off the top and bottom edges
Satellite Radio Ready: You can connect a satellite radio tuner to the KVT-717DVD in a number of ways. The unit is directly compatible with the Sirius SIR-KEN1 Satellite Tuner for Kenwood (item # 607SIRKEN1). The Terk XMDirect universal XM Satellite Radio tuner (209XMD1000) can be connected to and controlled by the head unit when used with the XMDirect Smart Adapter for Kenwood (209XMDKEN1). In addition, you can connect an independently controlled "plug 'n play" unit such as the Delphi SKYFi2 or Kenwood Here2Everywhere to the head unit through the optional Aux Input adapter (113CAC1AX or 113KCAS210).
Note: In addition to the optional satellite tuner, you will also need the proper antenna and a subscription to Sirius or XM Satellite Radio.
Dual Zone Control: The head unit can send its internal sound sources (tuner, CD/DVD) to the front speakers and front preamp outputs while simultaneously sending an external sound source (a source connected to an optional adapter or the hideaway unit, or a connected changer) to the rear speakers and rear preamp outputs, with independent volume control for each zone.
System Q EX Sound Control: 6 EQ curves are preset into memory, allowing you to recall the best preset EQ curve for different types of music. The preset curves are named "Natural", "Rock", "Pops", "Easy", "Top 40", and "Jazz." In addition, you may store your own settings under the "User" EQ curve. Each preset has its own bass center frequency, bass level, bass Q factor, bass extension, middle center frequency, middle level, middle Q factor, treble center frequency, and treble level settings. For the User preset, you may adjust the following: bass center frequency (40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 100, 120, or 150Hz), bass level (-8 to +8), bass Q factor (1.00, 1.25, 1.50 or 2.00), bass extension (On or Off), middle center frequency (0.5, 1.0, 1.5 or 2.0kHz), middle level (-8 to +8), middle Q factor (1.0 or 2.0), treble center frequency (10.0, 12.5, 15.0 or 17.5kHz), and treble level (-8 to +8). The System Q EX can be turned off in the menu, still allowing you to adjust the bass, middle and treble levels only.
Speaker Type Setting: This feature tailors the System Q EX Sound Control settings according to the type of front speakers in your vehicle. You may select Standard (for speakers with a general diameter), Narrow (for speakers with a small diameter), Middle (for speakers with a medium diameter), or Wide (for speakers with a large diameter).
System E's+ Advanced Crossover System: The System E's+ Advanced Crossover system allows you to select independent high-pass filters for the front preamp/speaker outputs and rear preamp/speaker outputs. Each high-pass filter frequency may be set to 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, 220Hz, or Through (off). In addition, the unit has a low-pass filter for the non-fading preamp outputs. The low-pass filter may be set to 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Through (off). The phase of the non-fading preamp output may be set to Normal or Reverse.
Volume Offset Control: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -15 to 0.
HD Radio Ready: With an optional Kenwood HD Radio tuner (item # 113HR100TR), you will be able to receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. This new technology will significantly improve audio quality and reception, as well as include information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display.
CR-2 Advanced Tuner: This unit uses Kenwood's CR-2 Advanced tuner, which provides high signal strength for clear radio reception. The tuner incorporates an Automatic Noise Reduction Circuit (ANRC), along with the Clean Reception System Circuit (CRSC), for improved rejection of distortion due to multi-path. You can choose one of three tuning modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual.
Clean Reception System Circuit (CRSC): This circuit controls multi-path distortion by reducing stereo separation. As stereo separation is reduced, multi-path has less effect on the radio signal, improving reception in areas with tall buildings and mountains. The CRSC feature can be turned on or off.
Direct Access Tuning: When using the remote, you can directly access any radio station by entering the frequency on the numeric keypad.
Station Name Preset (SNPS): This feature allows you to assign names to radio stations and TV stations. Up to 30 AM/FM stations and 20 TV stations can be given a name. Each name can be up to 16 characters in length.
RDS (Radio Data System): This unit supports the following RDS functions:
- PTY (Program Type): allows you to select RDS stations based on their program type. You can scan stations based on their program type.
- Radio Text: This unit displays text info that might be transmitted by RDS stations. If the station is not transmitting text, the unit will display "No Text." You can set radio text to scroll automatically, or it can be set to manual, which allows you to scroll one line at a time.
- Traffic Information Function: If a traffic information station begins to broadcast a traffic bulletin while a disc is playing, the unit will automatically play the bulletin and return to the disc when the bulletin ends. This function may be turned on or off.
MP3/WMA Playback: This unit can play MP3 and WMA files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R, and CD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, and Romeo formats. Each disc should have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 254 folders, and 255 files per folder. During MP3/WMA playback, the unit displays any recorded ID3 Tag information.
JPEG Disc Playback: This unit will play JPEG files recorded onto CD-ROM, CD-R, and CD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, and Romeo formats. This unit can recognize baseline JPEGs with a maximum resolution of 5120 x 3840 and progressive JPEGs with a maximum resolution of 2048 x 1536. Each disc should have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 254 folders, and 255 files per folder.
Disc Name Preset (DNPS): You may assign names to discs played in the internal CD player. Each disc name can be up to 16 characters long, and the receiver has a memory capacity for up to 10 discs. (See below for further DNPS features with CD changers.)
"B.M.S." (Bass Management System): When used with a compatible Kenwood eXcelon amplifier, you can adjust the bass boost level of the amplifier through this head unit. You may select Flat, or boost the bass of the amplifier by +6, +12 or +18. The center frequency of the bass boost can be adjusted using the B.M.S. Amp Frequency setting. This setting allows you to choose Normal or Low. When Low is selected, the center frequency is dropped 20-30%.
Display Dimming: This unit is equipped with an orange/white wire that Kenwood calls an illumination lead, however, it acts as a dimmer lead. When the illumination wire of this unit is connected to the headlamp circuit of your vehicle, and you turn your lights on, the display will dim to a preset level. The display brightness is not affected by the vehicle's dimmer control. When the Auto Dimmer function is turned on, the display automatically dims as it gets darker in the vehicle.
Weather Band Tuner Compatible: This unit is compatible with the Kenwood KTC-WB100 weather band tuner (sold separately). The optional tuner box allows you to tune in weather band radio stations. There are about 480 weather band radio stations in the United States, and this option allows you to tap into the information needed to prepare for outdoor activities such as sporting events, camping trips and days at the park.
TV Tuner Compatible: This unit is compatible with the Kenwood KTC-V500N TV tuner (sold separately).
DVD Functions: This unit allows you to perform the following DVD/Video CD functions: chapter search, track search, 3-speed slow motion play (forward and reverse), 3-speed scan play (forward and reverse), pause, and frame advance.
Direct Search: When playing a DVD, you can directly access a chapter or scene using the numeric keypad on the remote. When playing a Video CD, you can directly access a track or scene.
Multi-angle Display: This function allows you to choose the viewing angle of scenes that were shot from a number of different angles.
Note: This function is limited to DVDs recorded with multiple camera angles.
Repeat Play: During DVD playback, you can repeat the current title or current chapter. During Video CD playback, you can repeat the current track.
Zoom: When playing DVDs or Video CDs, you can enlarge the picture using the zoom feature. You can magnify the picture 2x, 3x, or 4x the normal size.
Setup Menu: You can adjust the following settings in the setup menu:
- Screen Display Mode: allows you to select 4:3 letterbox, 4:3 pan & scan, or 16:9
- Menu Language: allows you to select the default menu language
- Subtitle Language: allows you to select the default subtitle language
- Audio Language: allows you to select the default audio language
- Dynamic Range: can be set to Wide, Normal, or Midnight
- Angle Mark Display: allows you to choose On or Off. When turned On, an angle mark is displayed when the scene has been recorded from multiple angles.
- Parental Lock: allows you to select a parental control ratings from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password
Compatibility: This unit is directly compatible with Kenwood changers manufactured in 1998 or later. If the changer has an O-N switch, the switch will need to be set to the "N" position. If you have a Kenwood changer manufactured before 1998, you will need the KCA-S210A switching adapter. Changers manufactured before 1994 require the CA-DS100 converter cord (113CADS100) and the KCA-S210A switching adapter.
Disc Name Preset (DNPS): When used with a compatible CD changer, this feature allows you to assign names to discs in the changer. Each name can be up to 16 characters in length. The number of names you can store depends on the CD changer that is connected to the head unit.
CD Text/MD Display: When connected to a CD Text capable CD changer or an MD changer, this unit can display disc and track titles for discs encoded with disc and track title information. The text information can be scrolled manually or automatically.
Back Panel of Head Unit:
- To Hideaway Unit: 21-pin jack on a 7" cable hardwired to the head unit. This jack connects the head unit to the hideaway unit using the supplied connection cable.
- Power: 8-pin jack for use with supplied head unit wiring harness
Front Panel of Hideaway Unit:
- FM/AM Antenna: female Motorola jack
- AV Input 1: left and right RCA audio jacks and an RCA composite video jack
- AV Input 2: left and right RCA audio jacks and an RCA composite video jack
- AV Output: left and right RCA audio jacks and an RCA composite video jack
- Rear Camera Input: RCA composite video jack for use with an optional rear-view camera
- Front Preout: left and right RCA audio jacks
- Rear Preout: left and right RCA audio jacks
- Sub Preout: left and right RCA audio jacks
- Power: 16-pin jack for use with supplied hideaway wiring harness
Back Panel of Hideaway Unit:
- To 5L I/F: 13-pin jack that allows you to connect an optional Kenwood changer
- To Monitor I/F: 21-pin jack that connects to the head unit using the supplied connection cable
- To TV-Tuner I/F: 20-pin proprietary jack that allows you to connect an optional Kenwood TV tuner
- To Navigation I/F: 13-pin jack that allows you to connect an optional Kenwood navigation unit
- Hideaway Unit: W=8.996", H=1.564", D=6.995" (8.887" with cables)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.