Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Our take on the Kenwood KDC-BT318U by Crutchfield's Dave Delamere
Bluetooth at a bargain
Kenwood's KDC-BT318U CD receiver gives you Bluetooth® for hands-free calling convenience, plus a wireless connection to the songs stored on your compatible music player. If you're an Android® user who's grown tired of your old radio's complicated Bluetooth pairing issues, you'll love this receiver's simple, secure pairing (SSP) technology. If you're an iPhone® aficionado, the KDC-BT318U gives you full Siri Eyes Free control with compatible Siri-equipped iPhones.
Pair your compatible phone to the KDC-BT318U and you can talk hands-free by simply touching the dedicated "phone" button when a call comes in. And the receiver can reply automatically to text messages to let your contacts know that you're busy driving. You can place the external Bluetooth microphone in an optimal location within the vehicle for improved hands-free communication.
Stream radio from your phone
If you enjoy Internet radio on your iPhone or Android, you'll really enjoy playing music from Pandora® and iHeartRadio® radio on this great-sounding receiver. You can scroll through your stations, bookmark songs, and give a thumbs-up or thumbs-down right from the receiver's face.
One versatile USB port
The KDC-BT318U's front-panel USB port allows you to access and control the music stored on your iPhone or Android phone. And if you have MP3, WMA, or WAV music files on a thumb drive, the USB port can handle those too. Here's a cool feature from Kenwood — Drive Change allows you to connect a memory card reader or USB hub to the Kenwood's USB input and select music from up to five memory cards or USB flash drives.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter (not included) to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Kenwood stereo. Connect a few wires, program the adapter for your car and this Kenwood, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. Check the "Accessories" tab for compatible adapters.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
Very impressed for the cost of the receiver. The Bluetooth works AWSOME and what clear sound this unit has!!! I liked this unit so much, I bought a second head unit for my other vehicle.
Anonymous, Wailuku, Hawaii
What's in the Box:
- CD receiver (10A fuse inserted in chassis)
- Face (attached)
- Trim ring (attached)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RC-406)
- CR2025 3V lithium-battery (installed in remote)
- Microphone with integrated bracket (attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector)
- 2 Removal tools
- Face-fixing screw
- Instruction Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty Card
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- automatic iPhone pairing with Siri Eyes Free control capability
- Pandora and iHeartRadio radio control with iPhone and Android
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA music files
- detachable face with 13-digit display
- wireless remote control
- System Q (8 preset EQ curves and a 3-band equalizer)
- Sound Reconstruction improves the sound of compressed audio files
- 3-level bass boost
- subwoofer controls for low-pass filter, output level, and phase
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control (see Details tab for model compatibility)
- Kenwood Music Control app enables playback of music files over USB from select Android devices
- Drive Change lets you select audio from multiple flash drives or memory cards in a connected USB hub or memory card reader
- inputs: front-panel auxiliary and USB input
- outputs: 4-channel preamp outputs (2.5-volt front, rear/subwoofer)
Other features and specs:
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Kenwood KDC-BT318U Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power Output||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||2.5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8.2 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
Bluetooth Technology: The Kenwood KDC-BT318U is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (ver. 2.1 + EDR) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), OPP 1.1 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.3 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Kenwood KDC-BT318U. Visit Kenwood's Support Site for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Secure Simple Pairing (SSP) + Auto Pairing (for iPhone): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Kenwood KDC-BT318U without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. You can pair up to five Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Kenwood head unit with a maximum of two Bluetooth phones and one Bluetooth audio player connected at one time (but only one can be used at a time). You can even pair your Apple iPhone by simply connecting it to the Kenwood head unit via USB and following a single prompt on the head unit's display.
Bluetooth Hands-Free Communication: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The controls of the KDC-BT318U can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also includes an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering a Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. You can answer the call from the head unit's front-panel controls, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call immediately or after 1-30 seconds. The KDC-BT318U also supports the Call Waiting function, so you can answer another incoming call while suspending the current call you are on. Your compatible cell-phone must also support this feature.
- Dialing a Number: Using the KDC-BT318U, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 32 digits from the head unit's control knob or remote control.
- Speed (Preset) Dialing: Allows you to register up to 6 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's Control Knob.
- Phone Book: You can dial by using the downloaded phone book. You can download phone book data from your cell phone to the KDC-BT318U. Up to 600 numbers can be stored for each registered cell phone. Each number can be up to 32 digits long and each name can be up to 50 characters long. Stored phone numbers can be categorized by General, Home, Office, Mobile, or Other. You can search each category of the phone book in alphabetical order.
- Call History: The Call History is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls.
- Voice Dialing: If your mobile phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone.
Note: The external wired microphone offers improved audio quality versus an integrated microphone, so you can be heard easier over noisy traffic and road noise. You can adjust the volume level and noise cancellation of the microphone without affecting the other sources. The external microphone features an attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone offers an integrated mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash. The external microphone measures 0.525" (diameter) x 1.505" (depth).
SMS: If your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone is compatible with SMS (Short Message Service), the Kenwood head unit will notify you when a message has been received. You must then use your phone to check the message. You cannot read, edit, or send a message through this unit.
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Metadata Display): The Kenwood KDC-BT318U also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The KDC-BT318U will be able to control basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music; such as Play/Pause, Skip Next/Previous, Fast Forward/Rewind and Random/Repeat. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title. The KDC-BT318U also supports audio streaming of music apps downloaded on your smartphone with metadata display and limited control. Advanced music control of your music apps will still need be done via your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected with an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth (not USB), the Kenwood KDC-BT318U has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply press-and-hold down on the head unit's Answer Button to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the KDC-BT318U and its microphone. The head unit's display will only indicate hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Kenwood KDC-BT318U; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Note: You can ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs. The unit also supports playback of MP3/WMA/AAC music files loaded onto CD-R/RW discs.
USB Port: The Kenwood KDC-BT318U features a front panel USB (type-A) port that is hidden behind a flip-up cover. The USB port enables connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. The unit supports playback of MP3, WMA, and WAV music files stored on a compatible USB memory device USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: When a mass-storage class (MSC) compatible smartphone is connected to the head unit's USB input, the unit's Drive Change features lets you select its internal memory or external memory (such as an SD card) for stored music playback. The Drive Change feature also lets you switch between multiple memory cards (up to 5) in a USB multi-card reader or multiple USB thumbdrives (up to 5) connected to a USB hub.
MP3/WMA/WAV Playback: The Kenwood KDC-BT318U supports the following types of MP3, WMA, & WAV files recorded onto CD-R/RW disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||CD-R/RW||USB Storage Device|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, Long file name||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types|| MP3:
bit rate of 8-320 kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48 kHz
WMA: bit rate of 32-192 kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48 kHz
bit rate of 8-320 kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48 kHz
WMA: bit rate of 32-192 kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48 kHz
WAV: bit rate of 16-bit w/ sampling rate of 44.1 kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||500 folders/500 files (500 files per folder)||999 folders/20,480 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver.1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tags|
Text Scroll: The KDC-BT318U will display MP3/WMA audio file text. You can set the text scrolling feature to three different modes (Auto, Once, or Off) to scroll longer titles across the screen.
Music Search + Direct Search: The Kenwood AM/FM CD receiver features a Music Search feature which allows you to scroll through and select your MP3/WMA music folders and files, as well as scroll through your audio CD's music tracks using the head unit's rotary knob. The supplied IR wireless remote control (RC-406) allows you to search for music directly by entering the track number.
Playback Modes: The Kenwood KDC-BT318U features the following Repeat, Random, and Scan playback modes.
- Repeat Play: Track, File, or Folder
- Random Play: Disc or Folder
- Scan Play: Track or File (plays the first 10-seconds of each music track on a disc or music file in a folder)
Last Position Memory: If the unit is shut off or switched to the tuner mode while a CD is playing, the next time CD is selected as the source, playback will resume from the point where it left off.
CD Read: This function sets the method for reading a CD disc. You can choose between two modes.
- CD1: Automatically distinguishes between audio file disc and music CD when playing a CD or CD-R/RW disc.
- CD2: When unable to play a special formatted CD, set this function to CD2 to force playing. Some music CD discs may be unplayable even when set to this mode.
Off Insert/Eject + Auto Reload: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback. If the ejected disc is not removed within 15 seconds, the disc is automatically inserted again into the loading slot to protect it from dust.
Music Editor Compatible: The Kenwood KDC-BT318U supports the PC application, Kenwood Music Editor Lite Kenwood's Music Editor Lit (v1.1.0). Kenwood Music Editor Lite is a Windows-based desktop software that helps organize, manage and transfer MP3/WMA music files to your USB thumbdrive from your PC. When you playback audio files that have been stored on your USB thumbdrive using Kenwood Music Editor Lite through this unit, you can search a file by title, album, or artist name using the head unit's Music Search function. The Kenwood Music Editor Light (v1.1.0) Windows-based software can be downloaded for free from Kenwood's website to your PC. The Kenwood Music Editor Light is compatible with the following Windows Microsoft Operating Systems.
- Windows XP Professional, Home Edition SP2 or later (32-bit)
- Windows Vista (32/64-bit)
- Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
- Windows 8
Note: Not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Zune, or Android
iPod Direct Connection: The Kenwood KDC-BT318U's front-panel USB port can be used to connect your 30-pin dock connector or Lightning-connector iPod/iPhone to the head unit. The KDC-BT318U supports audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of your compatible Apple device.
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: If you have an older iPod/iPhone with a 30-pin dock connector, you can use Kenwood's dock connector-to-USB cable (113KCIP102, sold separately) or the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the KDC-BT318U.
- Lightning Connector: If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the KDC-BT318U.
Note: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
iPod Audio Playback w/ DAC Bypass: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music and music apps to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 16-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 105dB. The Kenwood head unit supports audio playback of stored music, podcasts, audiobooks, and music apps on your iPod or iPhone. The KDC-258 provides music control and song/artist information display.
- Music Control: The Kenwood head unit allows you to navigate your iPod's music by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Composer, Song, or Podcast. You can search these categories alphabetically (A-Z) or using a percentage search (0.5%, 1%, 5%, 10%). The head unit also supports Repeat (file) & Random (folder) playback functions of your connected iPod/iPhone. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ allow you to continue to access your Apple device's touchscreen. Older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Song/Artist Info: The KDC-BT318U will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song title, and Album label.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood KDC-BT318U is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 9/24/2014):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora app||iHeart Link||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Music Control for Android Smartphone: The Kenwood Music Control app for Android organizes your Android smartphone's music, while providing quick and easy search capability from the Kenwood CD receiver. The free Kenwood Music Control App for Android can be downloaded onto your Android smartphone from the Google Play App Store. Your Android smartphone must be running Android OS Froyo or Gingerbread (2.2+). Once the app is downloaded and has a chance to organize all the stored music on your Android smartphone, you can connect your Android smartphone to the Kenwood CD receiver via USB (your compatible Android smartphone must be recognized as a USB mass storage class device; not compatible with MTP protocol). The Kenwood Music Control app offers the following Android supported functions.
- Song Management: Music stored in your Android smartphone can be navigated from the Kenwood CD receiver. Songs can be easily selected by searching for a Song title, Artist name, Album label, or Genre.
- Song Information Display: Song information such as Artist name, Song title, and Album label are displayed on the connected Kenwood CD receiver.
- Mood Playlist: Playlists can be created by classifying songs into categories by type of mood. Songs are analyzed and classified into the following categories of moods - High Energy (Active/Powerful/Core), Acoustic (Detailed/Simple/Smooth/Easy), Standard (Dynamic/Rockin/Vivid), Stylistic (Cool/Urban/Trance)
- Intro Skip: This function allows you to choose and listen to only the hook-lines of songs stored in your Android smartphone.
Note: When the Kenwood Music Control app is first downloaded it will require some time to populate all the music, so we suggest doing this overnight.
Aux In: The unit is equipped with a front panel 3.5mm minijack auxiliary input that can be used to input audio from a portable audio source, such as a portable MP3 player. The Aux input must be turned on to function. The KDC-BT318U allows you to select the source type displayed when using the auxiliary input. You can choose from AUX, DVD, Portable, Game, Video, or TV. The unit has three aux input modes.
AM/FM Tuner: The Kenwood KDC-BT318U features a built-in AM/FM tuner. You can choose one of four tuning methods: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual Tune. The KDC-BT318U's tuner features 3 FM banks (1, 2, 3) and 1 AM bank for storing presets. The Kenwood KDC-BT318U offers two preset modes.
- Normal: You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets (total of 24).
- Mix: A total of 6 preset stations can be assigned to the head unit's 6 preset buttons, regardless of AM/FM band. This lets you recall a preset station without switching between bands.
Note: Not only does the CD receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling.
Internet Radio Apps: The Kenwood KDC-BT318U allows you to access Pandora and iHeartRadio online music services through your USB-connected iPhone or Bluetooth-connected Android/Blackberry smartphone. Your Apple iPhone must be connected to the KDC-BT318U via the Kenwood KCA-iP102 cable (sold separately, or the cable supplied with your iPhone. Your Android or Blackberry smartphone must support A2DP/ AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the Kenwood KDC-BT318U. Your iPhone, Android smartphone, or Blackberry device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi.
- Pandora App (for iPhone/Android/Blackberry): The free Pandora App (either from iTunes Apps, Google Play, or BlackBerry App World) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Kenwood KDC-BT318U using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) or Bluetooth paired Android/Blackberry smartphone. The Kenwood KDC-BT318U provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your station list and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also save 3 Pandora stations as presets. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down. An active Pandora account is required.
- iHeartRadio Link (for iPhone/Android): The free iHeartRadio Link app for Kenwood (either from iTunes Apps or Google Play) lets you play music from the iHeartRadio music service through the Kenwood KDC-BT318U using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+), or Bluetooth paired Android smartphone (2.2+). The iHeartRadio music service provides access to more than 1,500 live radio stations from coast-to-coast (including pop, country, urban, rock, talk, and sports). The KDC-BT318U will provide control over the iHeartRadio Link app, as well as display station identification and song/artist information. From the head unit's front-panel controls, iHeartRadio stations can be searched by the following categories (Local, Genre, City, or My Stations). The Local selection provides a list of radio stations in your local listening area. The unit also provides over 22 Genres to choose from (including pop, country, hip-hop, jazz, etc.) to help you find the right radio station for you. In addition, you can search for radio stations by City. Cities can be searched alphabetically (A-Z). You can even store your favorite stations (My Stations) for easier, quicker access. An active iHeartRadio account is required.
Note: Access to these Internet Radio services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android/Blackberry smartphone to connect to the Internet. Not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
16 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood KDC-BT318U utilizes a 16-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality with a Signal to Noise ratio up to 105dB.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood KDC-BT318U is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the KDC-BT318U are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
2.5V/4CH Preamp Output: The KDC-BT318U is equipped with two pair of 2.5V preamp outputs (Front, Rear/SW). You can set the Rear/SW preamp outputs for connecting a pair of full-range rear speakers (through an external amplifier) or for connecting a subwoofer (through an external amplifier). When set for rear speakers, the rear outputs operate with the unit's fader control. When set for subwoofer, the outputs are non-fading.
Subwoofer Controls: The Kenwood KDC-BT318U offers the following subwoofer controls, when you have the unit's subwoofer preamp output activated.
- Low Pass Filter: The receiver features a built-in Low Pass Filter control for the preamp-output, when the output is set to Subwoofer. You can select from 85 Hz, 120 Hz, 160 Hz, or off.
- Subwoofer Phase: You can adjust the phase of the subwoofer output between 180-degrees (Reverse) or 0-degrees (Normal).
- Subwoofer Level: Once the Subwoofer preamp output is activated, you can independently control the subwoofer preamp output level (-15 to +15) from the CD receiver.
Speaker Settings: The Speaker Setting function tailors the head unit's audio settings according to the type of speakers in your vehicle. You may select a Speaker Setting of 'SP-Off' (flat/off), 'SP-OEM' (for OEM factory speaker systems), 'SP-6x9/6' (for systems with 6" and 6"x9" speakers), or 'SP-5/4' (for systems with 4" and 5" speakers).
Preset EQ: Eight EQ curves are preset into memory, allowing you to recall the best preset EQ curve for different types of music. Each preset has its own level settings for bass, midrange, and treble . You can choose from the following preset EQ curves; Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Natural, Drive EQ, or User. The Drive EQ mode is an EQ preset that helps reduce road noise. The User mode allows you to manually adjust the head unit's Bass (200Hz) , Midrange (2.5kHz), and Treble (12.5kHz) level from +/- 8dB.
Note: You can store bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (CD, AM/FM, Aux, USB, iPod, and Pandora/iHeart Radio).
Sound Enhancements: The head unit provides further sound enhancements for your car audio system.
- Bass Boost: The Kenwood CD receiver features a Bass Boost control that can be set to the following levels (BB1, BB2, BB3, or Off).
- Loudness: This function enhances low and high frequencies to make the sound clearer lower volumes. There are 3 levels (LV1, LV2, or Off).
- Sound Reconstruction: When MP3 or WMA files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Sound Reconstruction function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When Sound Reconstruction is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to 0 (-8 to +8 for Aux source).
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Detachable Face: The Kenwood KDC-BT318U features a single front loading CD face that detaches from the chassis to deter theft. There is no protective face case included. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
Single-Line Display: The Kenwood head unit features a single-line, 13-segmented/13-character, white backlit LCD with blue button illumination.
Brightness & Dimmer: You can dim the LCD illumination to better suit the time of day. You can adjust the maximum brightness of the LCD illumination from 0-31. The button illumination and Kenwood logo does not dim.
12Hr/24Hr Clock: The head unit can be set to display a 12hr or 24hr clock. The unit also displays the day (Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, or Sat). With your vehicle's key in the accessory or start position, the head unit continues to display the clock and button illumination during Standby mode. Pressing and holding the source button turns the unit off completely.
Demo Mode: This unit features a Demo mode which can be turned On or Off within the menu.
Wireless Remote Control: The KDC-BT318U comes with an IR remote control (RC-406) for wireless operation of the head unit. The remote will control Audio, CD, USB, and Tuner functions. It is powered by a single CR2025 3V lithium-cell battery (supplied).
- Numeric Keypad: The wireless remote control features a numeric keypad (0-9) which allows direct track access of your music tracks & files (from CD or USB), as well as AM/FM presets.
- Attenuator: The CD receiver features an Attenuator button on the supplied remote control that turns the volume down very quickly with one touch of the button.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Note: The KDC-BT318U is not compatible with PAC's SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
16 questions already asked
Yes it is and works quite well [ Xavier May 08, 2015 ]
Yes it is. [ JEFFREY May 05, 2015 ]
Yes [ MAILENE May 05, 2015 ]
Yes. [ Brady May 05, 2015 ]
Yes it will. U would use it instead of the factory head unit amplifier [ DEREK L Apr 28, 2015 ]
Will hook up to two Bluetooth devices simultaneously! [ Kerry Apr 11, 2015 ]
It gets confused with more than one. Worse the bluetooth is inconsistent a best. I've used with iphone and android phones and with both it will lose bluetooth connection randomly and when a phone call ends. If I could do it over I'd buy a different receiver. maybe a more expensive one will have bluetooth that works better [ Dan Apr 05, 2015 ]
Two phones is all it supports. After that - it is delete to add new. Bummer it doesn't support more as my daughter now has a smartphone too. Can verify it works with iOS and Android, but BT is BT. [ Bob Apr 05, 2015 ]
Not sure it was an install for a customer.. [ WILLIAM Apr 05, 2015 ]
I Honestly couldn't tell you. I've only ever connected my phone to it, and it's an android. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. [ Brady Apr 04, 2015 ]
Manual says all Bluetooth devices [ Shane Mar 23, 2015 ]
I Have a Samsung galaxy S4 as well. It runs on the android os. But my son's phone was a Motorola but that's also an android os. Bluetooth is generally compatible across the board. I installed this in my durango and I have enjoyed this system for quite some time with no problems. You should be fine. [ Benjamin Mar 23, 2015 ]
I don't see why not. Samsungs are android phones after all. [ Bryant D. Mar 23, 2015 ]
I believe Samsung runs android so you should be okay [ DREW Mar 23, 2015 ]
Yes it does. Part # RC-406 [ DEAN Mar 21, 2015 ]
yes [ DREW Mar 18, 2015 ]
yes [ ROBBY Mar 18, 2015 ]
Yes [ SHELLY Mar 18, 2015 ]
Yes,Works well too. [ russ Mar 18, 2015 ]
Yes it does and works beautifully [ Mike Mar 18, 2015 ]
Yes has a remote [ MICHAEL K. Mar 18, 2015 ]
Yes, the one I purchased did come with a remote. [ Kenneth Mar 18, 2015 ]
Yes [ Jimmy Mar 18, 2015 ]
Yeah, it works pretty well [ JOHN Mar 18, 2015 ]
Yes it does [ Allan Mar 18, 2015 ]
Yes, clock can be set to display at all times, along with Day/ Date. [ Kerry Mar 25, 2015 ]
Hi lately due to the cold weather the display does not come on neither does the radio operate few days later the radio comes on and goes back off.System radio still on the factory warranty I would like to return it and have it replaced.Thank you very much your reply would be greatly appreciated [ Xavier Mar 01, 2015 ]
Yes you can see it all the time ! [ MICHAEL A Feb 24, 2015 ]
hi Hiedi, yes you can display the clock, press the volume knob and turn until the clock function appears, then set the time..to save this press the button below the phone icon button [ ROBERT H Feb 24, 2015 ]
Yes I actually think you can. There's a button that allows you to have the artist/title, time and day, and one other thing I can't remember. Hope this helps. It's a good CD player for the price. [ CHRISTIAN Feb 24, 2015 ]
yes [ JAKE Feb 24, 2015 ]
Yes. [ Brady Feb 24, 2015 ]
Do you have a playlist made on the thumb drive? If so try using the back arrow on the radio and select and playlist and see. Some times my phone won't play unless I open up the music app and select a playlist. I own 2 of these radios. 1 in my wife's car and 1 in my truck and I've had the issue on both. [ Joshua Feb 22, 2015 ]
Lee, I wish I could help you out on this one but, I really don't know the answer. I never used the I phone USB port. Sorry. [ John R. Feb 07, 2015 ]
Yes, it will charge your iPhone. That's actually one of my favorite features, being able to listen to the various music platforms while the phone is being charged. [ BRADLEY Feb 06, 2015 ]
Yes it will charge your iPhone when connected through the USB port. [ Jeremy Feb 06, 2015 ]
Yes, this model will charge your iPhone when plugged into the USB. Off topic, if you're looking at this stereo, let it be known that the lighted ring around the dial and the phone button can NOT be dimmed and tends to be a little too bright at night for my liking. Hope this helps. [ Bryant D. Feb 06, 2015 ]
It will pass audio as well as charge! [ Dewey Feb 06, 2015 ]
I have not actually used the usb input at all. I have a car charger that I use and then connect my phone via blue tooth. I know this wasn't much help. [ Jonathan Feb 06, 2015 ]
No it will not. But other than that it is a awesome radio and of course it's Kenwood. [ Larry Feb 06, 2015 ]
Great head unit. It will charge while plugged in the USB and allow you to utilize controls for your apple device. [ Timothy Feb 06, 2015 ]
It does charge when connect to usb. [ Shane Feb 06, 2015 ]
You would not be able to control a Sirius receiver directly by the radio. However, you could use the aux input to connect a dock and play type Sirius unit: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_220SSV7V1/Sirius-Stratus-7.html?tp=85 [ Jeff Jan 27, 2015 ] Staff
Yes it does! [ JAKE Jan 28, 2015 ]
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: No it does not support Pandora for Android via USB. It will allow for those Pandora features when connected via Bluetooth though. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Jan 27, 2015 ] Staff
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Jan 09, 2015 ] Staff
As far as I can tell no, it's the next model up that seems to have that feature. [ Ray Dec 04, 2014 ]
This model no.. The next model up you can. [ GLEN Dec 03, 2014 ]
No there is not [ RANDY Nov 29, 2014 ]
No [ JASON Nov 25, 2014 ]
When I wired up the radio there was a connection for the dimmer, but I was not sure where it went. From my pass knowledge this wire could be hook up to the dash board dimmer. [ BRIAN Jul 23, 2014 ]
Sorry i did not install it yet. its for friends truck. [ TERRY Jul 20, 2014 ]
There is know way that I can find to dim the "blue Buttons" only the white display. Otherwise it is a nice radio. Sorry [ DEAN Jul 19, 2014 ]
No [ JASON Jul 19, 2014 ]
Not that I have figured out [ WILLIAM Jul 19, 2014 ]
The button on the bottom...should be the second single one. [ TAMARA Jun 29, 2014 ]
theres a little button next to the channel 1 button left of it, this button cycles through the different displays screens, last one is clock [ STEVEN Jun 29, 2014 ]
Hi Joan, I'm assuming that you have already set the clock, correct? On the front panel going from left to right on the bottom there are the two buttons to advance/retreat the track, station etc. Right next to those two is a small button with the label above it: Scroll/Display Toggle through that and you'll see the clock come up as an option. Good luck, Ron [ Ron Jun 29, 2014 ]
It's right next to the number 1button on the left.press it til you see the clock.after that it should go to the clock as a default. [ PATRICK Jun 28, 2014 ]
Press and turn the volume knob to scroll thru to crispy the time.hope this helps. [ PATRICK Jun 28, 2014 ]
I think it starts with Settings, then Bluetooth [ Ron Jun 29, 2014 ]
It's in the Blue tooth menu, it defaults to the front speakers when you first connect. Scroll through and you'll see All Speakers. Good luck [ Ron Jun 29, 2014 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Apr 06, 2014 ] Staff