Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Kenwood Excelon DDX491HD
Our take on the Kenwood Excelon DDX491HD by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
Kenwood Excelon performance and quality
The Kenwood Excelon DDX491HD receiver is a high-performance DVD receiver with an impressive range of features, including compatibility with many iPhone® apps, comprehensive iPod® and iPhone controls, plus built-in Bluetooth® capability and HD Radio™reception. The receiver's easy-to-use menu lets you take control without excessive manual browsing, so you can start enjoying that long list of features. And you'll enjoy peace of mind with its 2-year warranty, too.
The DDX491HD's bright display brings out the best in videos.
Easy app control
You can control your favorite Pandora® Internet radio stations when your smartphone's connected. Kenwood's iPhone App Mode lets you stream video content from sources like Netflix and YouTube when your car's parked. Another big plus — load Garmin's impressive Street Pilot app on your iPhone 4 or 4S, and you can display maps and directions on the receiver's screen, so you can stay on course during your travels.
Easy Bluetooth pairing and Siri compatibility
The DDX491HD's Apple Auto Pairing automatically recognizes your iPhone when you plug into the USB port and sends a pairing request. Just press a button on the receiver's touchscreen and your iPhone is paired – simple as that! If you've got an iPhone with Siri, you'll be able to access Siri through the receiver — no need to take your eyes off the road to pick up the phone.
Enjoy music and videos
And if you think that radio has "jumped the shark," try out the crystal clear sound of the built-in HD Radio tuner and access the additional channels broadcast by participating stations. You can also add an optional SiriusXM tuner to this Kenwood and check out the in-depth music, news, and entertainment programming offered on satellite radio.
You can watch your favorite DVDs or iPod video on the built-in screen whenever you're parked. But if you're traveling, you can entertain your back seat passengers while you drive — just set them up with an external screen and wireless headphones and they can watch video content while you drive.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter (not included) to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Kenwood stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and this Kenwood, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
bought for 2007 tundra . installed perfectly needed for back-up camera. works well. best feature is that the back-up camera works while towing a short trailer or log splitter. all you need is power to the camera. HD radio is great, had no idea it was so good.
tundra install, festus mo
What's in the Box:
- Double-DIN DVD receiver w/ built-in 6.1" monitor (10A fuse)
- Sleeve (attached)
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- 6.5' Parking brake wire (light green)
- Microphone with integrated bracket (attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 6 Pan-head ISO-mount screws
- 6 Flat-head ISO-mount screws
- Instruction Manual (English)
- Instruction Manual (Spanish)
- Instruction Manual (French)
- Warranty card
- DVD/CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in internal amp (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- 6.1" touchscreen with variable color button illumination
- Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control (see Details tab for model compatibility)
- playback and control through USB of music files on compatible Android devices
- Pandora control with iPhone
- iPhone App Mode with limited control of apps like Netflix and YouTube
- display function for Garmin "Streetpilot" navigation app for iPhone
- fits double-DIN dash openings
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- 3-band parametric equalizer with 8 preset EQ curves
- high- and low-pass filters
- subwoofer controls
- speaker type setting
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear USB input, dual rear A/V inputs, rear-view camera input
- outputs: rear A/V output, 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Kenwood Excelon DDX491HD Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||Mini (rear) x 2|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power Output||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
6.1" Touchscreen Display: The Kenwood DDX491H features a fixed 6.1" wide, 16:9 touchscreen display with a TFT active matrix system. The screen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. This unit has touchscreen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy.
- Aspect Ratio: You can change the aspect ratio for video playback. You can select from Full (16:9), Just (4:3 LB), Normal (4:3), or Auto (automatically selects to match incoming video signal) .
- Picture Adjustment: You can adjust the unit's display brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness, and black level to suit your viewing needs during video playback.
- Custom Background Images: You can download a still image (800 x 600) for use as the unit's background from a connected USB thumbdrive.
- Customized Top Menu: You can select and arrange which sources and icons display on the unit's Top Menu screen for easier, quicker access. Select the "ALL SRC" icon to see all sources at one time.
Note: For your convenience, this unit is equipped with a multiple language display. Select between 18 different languages including English, Spanish, French and others.
Front-Panel Controls w/ Variable Color Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons and a rotary-dial along the left edge of the screen. You can adjust the head unit's button illumination from the following preset colors - Blue, Purple, Sky Blue, Yellow, Green, Amber, Red, Pink, White or Scan (Scans through all preset colors). You can also select a custom "User" color that is adjusted between Red, Green, and Blue (values range: 0-31). The Eject and Kenwood logo remain red, regardless of variable color illumination setting.
Dimmer: The dimmer function will dim this unit's display and button illumination automatically when the vehicle light switch is turned On when you connect orange/white Illumination wire of this player's harness. You can also manually dim the unit's display and button illumination. You can adjust the dimmer level from -15 to +5.
Clock Display: The DVD receiver offers a 12-hour clock which is visible from any source or menu screen. With your vehicle's key in the accessory or start position, the head unit will continue to display the LCD background image, clock, and button illumination during "Standby" mode. Pressing and holding the source button turns the unit off completely.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the display of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire (attached to rear-chassis) must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. You cannot view video unless your vehicle's parking brake is fully engaged. If you attempt to view video without the parking brake engaged, the unit's LCD touchscreen will simply display a blue screen and "Parking Off". While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the head unit's menu screens/settings, source information, metadata, and album artwork.
2-DIN Chassis: The DDX491H has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double-DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets, or Euro-mounted using the supplied mounting sleeve. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Bluetooth Technology: The Kenwood DDX491H is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (2.1+EDR) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), OPP 1.1 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.3 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Kenwood DDX491H. Visit Kenwood's Support Site for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Kenwood DDX491H without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. The head unit will even establish pairing automatically with the Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+), even if the Bluetooth function is deactivated on the device. Once a device is paired, the registered Bluetooth device will automatically connect to the receiver when it is in close proximity (up to 30') to the receiver. You can register up to five Bluetooth-enabled devices with the Kenwood head unit (only one paired phone can be used at a time).
Hands-Free Communication w/ External Mic: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The touchscreen controls of the DDX491H can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also includes an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers (All or Front only). During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering a Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. You can answer the call from the head unit's touchscreen, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call immediately in 5 seconds.
- Dialing a Number: Using the DDX491H, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 32 digits from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Speed (Preset) Dialing: Allows you to register up to 6 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phone Book: You can dial by using the downloaded phone book. You can download phone book data from your cell phone to the DDX491H. Up to 5,000 numbers can be stored for each registered cell phone. Each number can be up to 32 digits long and each name can be up to 50 characters long. You can search the phone book in alphabetical order.
- Call History: The Call History is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls (up to 50 each).
- Voice Dialing: If your mobile phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone.
Note: This unit allows you to answer a call or dial out using any option without engaging the vehicle's parking brake.
External Microphone: The Kenwood DDX491H includes an external microphone to carry on your side of your phone conversation and voice command dialing. The external wired microphone offers improved audio quality versus an integrated microphone, so you can be heard easier over noisy traffic and road noise. You can adjust the volume level and noise cancellation of the microphone without affecting the other sources. The external microphone features an attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone offers an integrated mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash. The external microphone measures 0.525" (diameter) x 1.505" (depth).
SMS: If your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone is compatible with SMS (Short Message Service), the Kenwood head unit will notify you when a message has been received. You must then use your phone to check the message. You cannot read, edit, or send a message through this unit.
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Metadata Display): The Kenwood DDX491H also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The DDX491H will be able to control basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music; such as Play/Pause, Skip Next/Previous, Fast Forward/Rewind and Random/Repeat. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title. The DDX491H also supports audio streaming of music apps downloaded on your smartphone with metadata display and limited control. Advanced music control of your music apps will still need be done via your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected with an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth (not USB), the Kenwood DDX491H has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply press-and-hold down on the head unit's "VOICE/TEL" button to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the DDX491H and its microphone. The head unit's LCD touchscreen will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Kenwood DDX491H; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Note: You can ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Compatible Discs: The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier because there is no panel to slide or fold-down. The Kenwood DDX491H supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW, and VCD discs. The unit supports MPEG-1/MPEG-2 video & JPEG files recorded on to CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW discs. It also supports playback of MP3, WMA, AAC, and WAV music files loaded onto a CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW disc.
USB Port: The Kenwood DDX491H features a rear-panel Full-Speed 2.0 USB type-A port (attached to the unit's rear-chassis by a 38" cable) for connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. The USB port enables playback of MP3, WMA, AAC, and WAV audio files; as well as JPEG still-picture files stored on a compatible USB memory device. The DDX491H also supports video playback of MPEG1/MPEG2 video files from a connected portable USB MSC device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the DVD receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
File Compatibility: The Kenwood DDX491H supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, Long File Name||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3:
bit rate of 8-320kbps w/ sampling rates of 8-48kHz
WMA: bit rate of 5-320kbps w/ sampling rates of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 16-320kbps w/ sampling rates of 32-48kHz
WAV: bit rate of 16-bit w/ sampling rate of 44.1kHz
352x240 to 720x480 or 352x280 to720x576 (4.0Mbps)
MPEG-2: 352x240 to 720x480 or 352x280 to 720x576 (4.0Mbps)
|Photo||JPEG: 32x32 to 8192x7680 pixels|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||250 folders/5,000 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags (ver. 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags, and WAV-tags|
Dolby Digital/DTS: The DDX491H supports playback of Dolby Digital and DTS 2.0 DVD discs and will convert multi-channel Dolby Digital sources to 2-channel.
Folder/Track List: The Folder/Track List allows you to search folders and audio/video/picture files stored on a disc.
Playback Screen: During DVD playback, you can control certain operations simply by touching an area of the screen. The touchscreen has 4 functions areas. You can touch the left of the screen to start the current chapter over, or the right of the screen to skip to the next chapter. Pressing the top center of the screen activates the DVD disc menu control buttons, while pressing the bottom center activates the source control screen.
Zoom: The DDX491H features a 3 level zoom when playing back video and still images.
Parental Control: Parental Control allows you to restrict DVD playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
Auto Reload: The DVD player will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
Firmware Updates (via USB): The unit's operating system is updateable via free downloadable software from Kenwood's support site. Firmware downloads assist in maintaining system performance when using external devices and emerging technologies. Firmware/software updates can be downloaded onto a USB thumbdrive from your computer and then inserted into the head unit's USB port and uploaded. The tested unit contained firmware version G11.03.00. Go to Kenwood's Support Site for the latest firmware/software updates.
iPod Audio/Video Playback: The Kenwood DDX491H supports direct connection of your 30-pin or Lightning-connector iPod/iPhone through its rear-panel USB port and 3.5mm input. The DDX491H offers audio/video playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select Apple iPod/iPhone models. Video can only be displayed while the vehicle is in park.
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: If you own an older iPod/iPhone with the 30-pin dock connector, you can enjoy audio and video files on your Apple device through the Kenwood DDX491H. Using Kenwood's KCA-IP202 iPod video cable (113KCIP202, sold separately), you can enjoy audio playback of your stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone; plus video playback of your stored movies and video apps on your iPod/iPhone through the Kenwood DDX491H. If you only desire audio playback, you can use Kenwood's KCA-IP102 iPod cable (113KCIP102, sold separately) or the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the DDX491H.
- Lightning Connector: If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the Kenwood DDX491H for audio playback only. You'll be able to listen to stored music and music apps on your Lightning-connector Apple device through the Kenwood DVD receiver. Video playback is not supported.
Note: The unit's rear-panel AV input must be set to "iPod" in order to playback audio/video from your connected iPod/iPhone, using the KCA-IP202 cable. The unit's rear-panel AV input must be set to "AV-IN2" in order to use the Kenwood KCA-IP102 iPod cable or the cable that came with your Apple device for audio playback only.
iPod/iPhone Control: The Kenwood DDX491H lets you control your iPod/iPhone from the head unit's touchscreen, your iPod/iPhone's touchscreen/clickwheel, or a downloaded app.
- Head Unit Control Mode: The Kenwood head unit allows you to navigate your iPod's music library by Playlist, Artists, Album, Song, Genre, Song, Podcast, or Audiobook. Your iPod's video library can be searched by Video Playlist, Movie, Music Video, TV Show, Video Podcast, Rented Movie, or iTunesU. You can then search each of these categories using the head unit's touchscreen slider function (categories will be listed in alphabetical order). The head unit also supports basic playback functions such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track and Repeat/Random of your connected iPod/iPhone. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ will still allow you to navigate stored music and movies from the Apple device's touchscreen; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- iPod/App Control Mode: The iPod/App control mode allows you to navigate stored music and movies from your older Apple device (iOS 5.1.1 and earlier). You'll still have access to basic playback controls (like Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Reverse, Previous/Next Track) from the head unit, but advanced navigation functions will be locked. The iPod/App mode also lets you listen to your favorite music apps, streamed to your 30-pin or Lightning-connector iPhone (iOS 3.0+) through the Kenwood head unit and your vehicle's speakers. You can even watch video on the Kenwood DVD receiver's touchscreen from select streaming movie apps (like Netflix) downloaded on your iPhone 4/4S (iOS 4.0+), via the Kenwood KCA-IP202 iPod video cable (sold separately). Not all apps will be compatible and control will be limited.
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
Song/Artist Info & Album Art: In Head Unit Control mode, the DDX491H will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art. There is no music information displayed when this unit is set to iPod/App Control mode. Instead, the head unit will display "iPhone App and iPod Control Mode" (song/artist information will need to viewed on your iPod/iPhone's LCD screen).
Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Garmin App: In addition, the optional KCA-IP202 iPod cable (113KCIP202, sold separately) allows you to view navigation maps and get audible/visual directions on the DDX491H's touchscreen, when the Garmin StreetPilot Onboard USA app ($49.99), and the Vehicle Display Integration in-app option ($49.99) are both downloaded to your connected iPhone (4/4S) or iPad (1/2/3); running iOS 5.1 or later. The Garmin StreetPilot Onboard USA app contains NAVTEQ map data for the United States (lower 49 states); with over a million POIs, turn-by turn directions, lane assist with junction view, traffic updates, and speed limit alerts. Because the map data is downloaded onto your iPhone and does not live on the network, wireless coverage is not required to navigate. Once you have selected your destination on your connected iPhone, your map route will be visible on the DDX491H's touchscreen (even with parking brake disengaged) and turn-by-turn directions can be heard through your car stereo speakers. You will continue to use your iPhone's touchscreen to control the Garmin StreetPilot USA app. The screen of your iPhone and the screen of the Kenwood DDX491H may not be identical.
Note: A Garmin StreetPilot Onboard app with North American maps (US, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, USVI, and more) is also available for $59.99.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood DDX491H is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 9/30/2014):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/App||Pandora App||Garmin App||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio||Siri|
- *Requires the use of the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the head unit. These Apple devices only support audio playback (no video output).
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Built-In HD Tuner: With its built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio significantly improves AM/FM audio quality and reception, as well as includes information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. HD Radio Technology will deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo (70dB SN @ 40-15kHz), while FM digital will have CD-like quality (75 dB SN @ 20-20kHz) with static free and clear reception. The unit's built-in HD Radio tuner allows analog AM/FM tuning as well.
- Seek Modes + Direct Access Tuning: You can choose one of three seek modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual. You can also setup the DDX491H to search only HD Radio stations. In addition, you can directly access an AM/FM station by entering in the frequency number using the unit's LCD touchscreen.
- Tuner Presets: The DDX491H's tuner features 3 FM banks (1, 2, 3) and 1 AM bank for storing presets. You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets (total of 24). Not only does the DVD receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling.
- Station Text & Multicasting: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8).
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Pandora App (for iPhone/Android/Blackberry): The free Pandora App (either from iTunes Apps, Google Play, or BlackBerry App World) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Kenwood DDX491H using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) or Bluetooth paired Android/Blackberry smartphone. Your compatible mobile device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account. The Kenwood DDX491H provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information.
- Station/Genre List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station or Genre List by date or alphabetically (A-Z). You can also choose to randomly playback songs from all your registered stations.
- Create New Station: New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing on Pandora.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada & only available in the United States.
SiriusXM Ready: The Kenwood DDX491H comes ready for SiriusXM programming with access to XM and Sirius Satellite Radio stations. Thanks to its proprietary SiriusXM Connect port, you can add the optional SXV200V1 SiriusXM Connect tuner and receive more than 150 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM, via the "SiriusXM All Access" package (subscription required). Visit SiriusXM.com for a complete list of subscription options and channel guide. Additional features of the SXV200 SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Up to 24 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Supports the SiriusXM Instant Replay function, so you can pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of live content
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Excelon Series: The DDX491H receiver is part of Kenwood's Excelon series line-up. It incorporates the latest technologies and delivers the highest sonic performance. From advanced audio tuning capabilities, crossover and equalizer system, high-voltage preouts (4V), plus a two-year warranty - Kenwood Excelon represents exceptional audio quality with long-lasting dependability.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood DDX491H utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality with a Signal to Noise ratio up to 99dB.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood DDX491H is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the DDX491H are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
6ch/4V Preamp Outputs: The DDX491H features front, rear and subwoofer 4.0-volt preamp outputs. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs are fixed to the rear chassis of the head unit.
Front & Rear High-Pass Filter: The DDX491H features an independent High-Pass Crossover for the front & rear channels when your front & rear speakers are connected by the unit's speaker-outputs or preamp-outputs. You can adjust the high-pass crossover from 'Through' (off), 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, or 220 Hz. The "Through" selection is a full-range setting. This feature is very helpful when you have smaller-type speakers in the front and larger-type speakers installed in the rear of the vehicle.
Subwoofer Controls: The Kenwood DDX491H offers the following subwoofer controls, when you have the unit's subwoofer preamp output activated.
- Low Pass Filter: The receiver features a built-in Low Pass Filter control for the preamp-output, when the output is set to Subwoofer. You can select from 50, 60, 80, Hz, 100 Hz, 120 Hz, or 'Through' (off).
- Subwoofer Phase: You can adjust the phase of the subwoofer output between 180-degrees (Reverse) or 0-degrees (Normal).
- Subwoofer Level: Once the Subwoofer preamp output is activated, you can independently control the subwoofer preamp output level (-50 to +10) from the DVD receiver.
Speaker Type Setting: This feature tailors the DDX491H according to the type of front speakers in your vehicle. You may select Standard (for speakers with a general diameter), Narrow (for speakers with a small diameter), Middle (for speakers with a medium diameter), or Wide (for speakers with a large diameter).
Equalizer: Eight EQ curves are preset into memory, allowing you to recall the best preset EQ curve for different types of music. Each preset has its own level settings for bass (100Hz), midrange (1kHz), and treble (12.5kHz). You can choose from the following preset EQ curves - Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Natural, Flat, and User. The DDX491H features independent Bass, Treble, and Midrange control when the Preset EQ is in User mode. EQ Pro allows you to adjust the following settings for the Bass, Treble and Mid frequency levels.
|Center Frequency||Q-Factor||Bass Extension||Level|
|Bass||40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 100, 120, or 150 Hz||1.00, 1.25, 1.50, or 2.00||On/Off||-8 to +8|
|Midrange||0.5k, 1.0k, 1.5k, or 2.0k Hz||1.00 or 2.00||N/A|
|Treble||10.0k, 12.5k, 15.0k, or 17.5k Hz||N/A||N/A|
Note: You can store bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (Disc, Tuner, AV, USB, iPod, and Pandora).
Sound Enhancements: The head unit provides further sound enhancements for your car audio system.
- Loudness: This function enhances low and high frequencies to make the sound clearer lower volumes.
- Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -15 to +6.
- Dynamic Range: The dynamic range can be adjusted by selecting either Normal, Wide or Dialog. Dialog makes the total sound volume become larger as compared with Wide and Normal, allowing you to listen to the movie's dialogue more clearly. This is effective only on Dolby Digital software.
Source Beep: The in-dash receiver provides an audible beep to confirm source selection. This function can be turned On or Off.
Dual A/V Inputs: The Kenwood DDX491H DVD receiver is fitted with two rear-panel minijack (3.5mm) audio/video inputs to connect external AV sources, such as a game system, Blu-ray player, or TV tuner. The rear-panel AV input labeled "AV-IN2" also serves as the input for Kenwood's proprietary KCA-IP202 iPod video cable.
Camera Input: The unit features a composite video input for connecting an optional rear view camera, such as the Kenwood CMOS-220 (sold separately). The video from this connection can be set to display when switched to this input, or display the rear view camera video automatically when the vehicle is shifted into Reverse gear. The purple/white wire (attached to the rear chassis) must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.5 seconds. Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
A/V Output (Dual Zone): The unit features a composite video and 3.5mm audio jack to output A/V signals to an optional monitor and headphone system in the rear of your vehicle. You can select between a 16:9, 4:3 LB, or 4:3 PS Aspect Ratio for the unit's video output to match your connected monitor. The audio/video source which you can output to a separate monitor and headphone system depends on the current source that is being played back on the Kenwood DVD receiver.
|DVD Receiver Source||A/V Output Source|
|DVD||DVD, AV-IN1, AV-IN2, or Off|
|Tuner/SiriusXM (optional tuner required)||DVD, USB, iPod, AV-IN1, AV-IN2, or Off|
|USB||USB, AV-IN1, AV-IN2, or Off|
|iPod||iPod, AV-IN1, or Off|
|Pandora||AV-IN1, or Off|
|AV-IN1/AV-IN2||DVD, USB, iPod, AV-IN1, AV-IN2, or Off|
Note: The volume of the A/V output will be controlled by your rear entertainment system.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Optional Remote Control: The optional Kenwood KNA-RCDV331 IR wireless remote control (113RCDV331, sold separately) unit is designed to operate this Kenwood multimedia head unit. The wireless remote controller operates off of two supplied "AAA" batteries. The remote operates off of IR transmission so the KNA-RCDV331 must be pointed at the front-panel of your compatible Kenwood head unit within direct line of sight.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
11 questions already asked
This does not have a detachable face. Double DIN with normal CD slot. My galaxy s3 links to the head unit and the head unit has pandora control. Yes you can change the colors to all red. [ Steven Jan 11, 2015 ]
Not a detached face Don't know about the Galaxy There's a whole spectrum of colors you can use for buttons [ Mark Jan 05, 2015 ]
No detached face,don't know about playing Pandora, yes can change to red [ michael Jan 05, 2015 ]
The face is not detachable nor does it tilt or move. The button backlighting can be changed and red is an option. I am not sure about the pandora, but my iPhone 4s does sync with the stereo. [ Errin Jan 05, 2015 ]
1. The face does not detach. 2. I use the Bluetooth feature to play Pandora from my phone. I have not used the Pandora feature on the unit. 3. You can change the button colors to any color including red. In fact, I reset my buttons to red. But when you get into the feature, you will be have a lot of colors to pick from. [ William Jan 05, 2015 ]
No detached face but u should be able to use blue tooth for Pandora and yes u can make all red buttons or leave all switching colors.is a great product. I love and only ride with Kenwood in my ride. [ Anthony Jan 05, 2015 ]
It is not a detachable face and as far as Pandora, it works on my iPhone so I wouldn't know bout Samsung. Color button could not be changed either. [ Kauhoke Jan 05, 2015 ]
It's not a detachable face but you can change all the buttons if you choose. I have yet to try anything Bluetooth but imagine it should be possible. There is a link tolist of what phones and features each can do with this HU listed on the overview page. [ TERRELL A. Jan 05, 2015 ]
No detachable face. It plays Pandora via Bluetooth from my Moto X without any problem. You can change the colors but I can't recall to what extent. [ Larry Jan 05, 2015 ]
4 answers I cannot get the Bluetooth to recognize my phone regularly. I have to reset the Bluetooth settings manually, and then only sometimes am I lucky in restoring Bluetooth phone service. Is anyone else having trouble with the Bluetooth software in this device? Any tricks on improving the Bluetooth functionality? [ Bryce Dec 28, 2014 ]
I am using a Samsung Galaxy S4 and an Iphone 5. Make sure that on the Paired Device List under Bluetooth Setup, select your paired phone and tap on the TEL(HFP) button for phone connectivity, the Audio(A2DP) button for music playback and the Pandora(SSP) button if you wish to use Pandora. If these buttons are not tapped to select the respective option, the phone will not connect to them the next time you power up the Kenwood. [ Victor Dec 30, 2014 ]
Bryce - I haven't had a problem in 8 months. Set it up once and never thought about it again. I have an iPhone 5S and Sprint for coverage. Not sure how you eliminate the phone/service, before you have to remove the unit but Kenwood or Crutchfield could help. [ LAWRENCE E Dec 29, 2014 ]
As eluded to in my review, Bluetooth only connects for me when the connection is available before the head unit is powered on. If you're turning on your Bluetooth device after the head unit is on then you'll have to cycle the head unit power. All of this assumes you're having the same problems I have. This units blows as far as I'm concerned but it almost always connects if I activate Bluetooth in my phone before I turn the car on. Hope that helps. [ Troy Dec 29, 2014 ]
Yea I have the same problem. When I try to connect it on a daily basis I connect my phone (samsung s5) I first play music on the phone then I go to the bluetooth settings on the phone and press on the headunits name until connected. Then from there I click on the hd Radio just to leave the Bluetooth feature then I click right back into the bluetooth feature. It hooks right up most of the time [ David Dec 29, 2014 ]
You have to add the audio cable too. I ran into the same problem with mine too [ CHRIS Dec 30, 2014 ]
I've had this happen sometimes and I've found that my iphone needs a software update and then it works. [ Kristopher Dec 28, 2014 ]
Try updating the deck. I had similar issues actually with my Bluetooth at one point as well. All you need is a USB Flash Drive [ Reece Dec 28, 2014 ]
I felt deceived by this when I found out the answer. The documentation online is confusing. You have to order the iPhone cable which has both a USB connection and mini jack to the rear of the unit. It's the KCA-IP202 cable. Yes, you have to pull the unit and run another cable through your dash. :( The KCA-IP102 can run video as you say but not concurrent audio. That's the problem. Good luck. [ Bryce Dec 28, 2014 ]
I had the same problem when connecting my iPod Classic and iPhone 5. I had to go into setup, then input, and change the input to AV-IN2(not usb). Seems kinda strange but it worked for me. And if I rember correctly you have to have the iPhone or iPod unplugged when you change the setting. Hope this helps! [ Travis Dec 28, 2014 ]
The iPhone cable they sell for this head unit has an 1/8" audio. jack on it. You have to use the cable they make for this head unit. [ DARREN Dec 28, 2014 ]
Make sure the volume on ur cell phone is turn up all the way [ Christian Dec 28, 2014 ]
Make sure the volume on ur cell phone is turn up all the way [ Christian Dec 28, 2014 ]
I also stream music to my unit via Bluetooth, have never had any issues with that. I'm not sure that the USB port is compatible for streaming music? The only thing I have used the USB input for is tranferring photos to the unit to be used as background/standby wallpaper. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help with that problem. Best of luck figuring out what's going on with it. I will look into it more when I have time, &, if I see anything that will help, I will post. [ Dale Dec 28, 2014 ]
Gotta change a setting. Go to menu, but it in standby mode, go to input settings and change it to iPod. It has to be in standby mode otherwise it will black out the button and you won't be able to click it. [ Nick Dec 28, 2014 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Dec 28, 2014 ] Staff
If you can from your 5 you can from your 6. [ DARREN Dec 28, 2014 ]
Sorry not to have an answer for you, I don't own an iphone 6, only a iphone 4S. I cannot help you. Sorry. [ STEVE Dec 16, 2014 ]
I have iphone 5 but I highly doubt it. Only image I see being transferred is album covers from music player when connected via USB only. [ Kevin Dec 15, 2014 ]
To be honest I couldnt tell you beacaue I am not an Apple peron.. All I use is Android phones. and yes i have had no problem playing anything from my phone [ ALFRED Dec 15, 2014 ]
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Nov 04, 2014 ] Staff
Hi. The radio does not come with a wiring harness other than the wires coming out of it for connection to the cars wires. It should easily connect to the cars radio wires. My guess is Crutchfield website will prompt you for what else you may need. Good luck [ THOMAS A Sep 21, 2014 ]
I can't say for sure about your vehicle, I put the radio in a 2008 nissan altima. The radio comes with it's plug that has all the wiring you need to hook it up. A "harness" is a seperate wiring plug that splices to the head units plug and allows you to plug into the vehicles factory wiring for ease of installation. That piece is not necessary but VERY HIGHLY recommended and sold seperately. Crutchfield sometimes runs a special where they will throw it in for free with head unit purchase sometimes though. Hope this helps [ DREW Sep 21, 2014 ]
I haven't been able to do that with It. That would be nice. [ KENNETH Aug 17, 2014 ]
No.. But if you got a box to convert hdmi to rca jacks, it could be done. [ BENJAMIN Aug 16, 2014 ]
It does not play blu-ray discs. I tried myself, and it only plays DVDs. [ STEVE Jun 30, 2014 ]
Dont know bout the blurays...Havent tried that yet...havent been home long enough.. [ ALFRED Jun 29, 2014 ]
It will not play any of the Blurays that we have, but it dose a outstanding job with any of the others that we own. [ BRIAN E Jun 29, 2014 ]
I am sorry but I never installed the radio I sold the truck and returned it [ ROBERT Jun 29, 2014 ]
This unit does not play blu-rays [ KEVIN J Jun 29, 2014 ]
Hellooo my canadian friend... If it played blue ray... It would say so. Its a dvd/mp3/divx and whatever else it says player. Not blue ray. [ BENJAMIN Jun 29, 2014 ]
I don't believe it plays Blu-Ray discs, just DVDs. [ SETH Jun 29, 2014 ]
Hi Will , I have not installed the unit yet since I am waiting on a custom bezel still . I am sorry I can't help at this time . Crutchfield is an amazing company . Good luck on your purchase I'm sure it's a great unit just like everything else I bought from them Robert [ ROBERT Apr 09, 2014 ]
I'm sorry but I don't know the answer to the question. I use an iPhone 4s. [ MARC Apr 09, 2014 ]
Does android work with Bluetooth? [ Zach Apr 22, 2014 ]
For details on installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give on what you will need for an installation in your vehicle to make SiriusXM work. [ Krissy Mar 10, 2014 ] Staff
No, not dual zone compatable. Also disregard my phone book complaint everything works, call logs, missed calls etc. [ john Mar 09, 2014 ]
Hey I have not tried cause I do not have rear monitors [ KENNETH Mar 09, 2014 ]