Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Our take on the Kenwood DDX7701HD by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
Make your smartphone work for your car audio system
Kenwood's DDX7701HD DVD receiver offers the features and interfaces you need to use your smartphone safely and easily in the car. You'll have touchscreen control over your Pandora® Internet radio stations with your iPhone® or Android™ phone connected, while you can load Garmin's impressive Street Pilot app on select phones. Kenwood's iPhone App Mode even lets you stream video content from sources like Netflix and YouTube when your car's parked.
The DDX7701HD offers the latest connection options with an HDMI/MHL input that supports many of the newest smartphones, along with USB and A/V inputs to cover the rest of the bases.
Factory system compatibility
Many new cars come equipped with sophisticated electronics, like Bluetooth®, voice-activated controls, engine diagnostics, and more. The DDX7701HD works with the ADS-MRR module from iDataLink to retain your Ford SYNC, GM OnStar, or Chrysler Uconnect features. Depending on your vehicle, you'll get to keep your voice commands, factory Bluetooth, satellite radio, iPod® control, and steering wheel audio controls. You can also tap into your vehicle's diagnostic port, and set up gauges for engine performance that you can view on the Kenwood's screen.
Bluetooth® and HD Radio™
The convenience of Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming is a given. Kenwood ups the audio streaming game by supporting aptX high-quality audio streaming from equipped devices, so you can enjoy streaming audio quality that'll satisfy your sonic demands. And with the built-in HD Radio tuner you'll enjoy the superb sound quality and multiple programming options offered by participating radio stations.
The DDX7701HD's display is easy to use when you're driving.
Audio and video at your command
You can plug your iPod, iPhone, or a thumb drive into this Kenwood's rear USB port and enjoy all your favorite albums and playlists. Two rear A/V inputs offer connections for any other audio/video sources, and this receiver will play all your CDs and DVDs, including discs loaded with music files. You can add an optional SiriusXM tuner to tap into the outstanding variety of music, news, talk, and sports on satellite radio.
The DDX7701HD boasts a powerful built-in amplifier send a crisp, clear signal to your speakers, while the 5-band equalizer boasts Kenwood's Drive EQ feature — when the radio is playing at lower volumes it boosts frequencies in the music that are often masked by road noise.
Video performance is enhanced by the high-resolution VGA screen — perfect for viewing video from DVDs or other sources when you're parked. You can also tap into video content on many iPods or iPhones with the help of optional cables (not included). When you're on the road, you can play movies through a rear-seat monitor for your passengers.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with a new car stereo. Check “Details” for more information, and the "Accessories" tab for compatible adapters. If you're not sure if you need an adapter, call, chat, or email an Advisor for help determining what you'll need for your vehicle.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
Love this radio. I wanted a radio that displayed my WAZE app while listening to radio and hands free calling. Crutchfield support was great with any questions during my install. Timely responses kept my install moving.
Fred, Beverly MA
What's in the Box:
- Double-DIN DVD receiver w/ 6.95" monitor (10A fuse)
- Sleeve (attached)
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- 6.5' Parking brake wire (light green)Microphone w/ integrated bracket (attached 10' cable terminated by a 3.5mm connector)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 6 Pan-head ISO-mount screws
- 6 Flat-head ISO-mount screws
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty card
- "Caution for Smartphone Users" note
- DVD/CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in internal amp (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- motorized 6.95" touchscreen with variable color button illumination
- Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming — supports aptX audio streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- fits double-DIN dash openings
Smartphone Features (see Details for info on compatibility with specific smartphones and apps):
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- Siri voice control with select iPhones
- playback and control through USB of music files on compatible Android devices
- Pandora and iHeartRadio control with iPhone and Android
- iPhone App Mode with limited control of apps like Netflix and YouTube
- navigation app support with select smartphones
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- 5-band equalizer with Drive EQ
- high- and low-pass filters
- subwoofer controls
- speaker type setting
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear USB input, HDMI/MHL input, dual rear A/V inputs, input, rear-view camera input
- outputs: rear A/V output, 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- works with iDataLink Maestro module to retain factory settings for Ford SYNC, GM OnStar, and Chrysler Uconnect
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Kenwood DDX7701HD Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), Mini (rear) x 2|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power Output||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
6.95" Motorized Touchscreen Display: The Kenwood DDX7701HD features a motorized 6.95" widescreen (16:9) touchscreen LCD with LED backlighting. The LCD touchscreen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. This unit has touchscreen controls with easy-to-identify icons, making menu navigation easy. The monitor electronically slides down for loading or ejecting a disc. The bottom of the touchscreen monitor can be tilted upward at six different positions to provide the best visibility in your vehicle (you can save any one of these positions to the head unit's memory).
- Customizable Home Screen: The Home Screen features 3 large source icons and 5 smaller source/setup icons. You can customize which 3 large source icons you want as your favorites, as well as customize 4 of the 5 smaller source/setup icons. The "All SRC" icon is not customizable; pressing this icon displays all source/setup icons on two pages.
- Custom Background Images: You can download a still image (800 x 600) for use as the unit's background from a connected USB thumbdrive.
- Picture Adjustment: You can adjust the unit's display brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness, and black level to suit your viewing needs during video playback.
- Aspect Ratio: You can change the aspect ratio for video playback. You can select from Full (16:9), Just (4:3 LB), or Normal (4:3), or Auto (automatically selects to match incoming video signal)
Note: For your convenience, this unit is equipped with a multiple language display (21 languages including English, French, Spanish, and others).
Front-Panel Controls w/ Variable Color Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons and a rotary-dial along the bottom edge of the screen. You can adjust the head unit's button illumination, as well as display background color from the following preset colors - Blue, Purple, Sky Blue, Aqua, Yellow, Green, Amber, Red, Pink, White or Scan (Scans through all preset colors). You can also select a custom "User" color that is adjusted between Red, Green, and Blue (values range: 0-31). You can save up to 3 custom color presets. The Kenwood logo and eject button remain red, regardless of variable color illumination setting.
Clock Display: The DVD receiver offers a 12-hour clock which is visible from any source or menu screen. With your vehicle's key in the accessory or start position, the head unit will continue to display the LCD background image, clock, and button illumination during "Standby" mode. Pressing and holding the source button turns the unit off completely.
Security Indicator: The Security Indicator feature helps to protect the Kenwood DDX7701HD against theft. Turning this function "On" allows the security indicator light (red) on the front-panel of the head unit to flash when your vehicle's ignition is off.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the display of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire (within 4-pin harness) must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. You cannot view video unless your vehicle's parking brake is engaged. If you attempt to view video without the parking brake engaged, the unit's LCD touchscreen will simply display a blue screen and "Parking Off". While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the head unit's menu screens/settings, source information, metadata, and album artwork.
2-DIN Chassis: The DDX7701HD has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double-DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets, or Euro-mounted using the supplied mounting sleeve. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Bluetooth Technology: The Kenwood DDX7701HD is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (3.0+EDR) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), OPP 1.1 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Kenwood DDX7701HD. Visit Kenwood's Support Site for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Secure Simple Pairing (SSP) + Auto Pairing (for iPhone): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Kenwood DDX7701HD without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. You can even pair your Apple iPhone by simply connecting it to the Kenwood head unit via USB and following a single prompt on the head unit's display. When a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. You can pair up to five Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Kenwood head unit with a maximum of two Bluetooth phones and one Bluetooth audio player connected at one time (but only one can be used at a time).
Hands-Free Communication w/ External Mic: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The touchscreen controls of the DDX7701HD can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also includes an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers (All or Front only). During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering a Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. You can answer the call from the head unit's touchscreen, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call immediately (0-99 seconds).
- Dialing a Number: Using the DDX7701HD, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 30 digits from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Speed (Preset) Dialing: Allows you to register up to 3 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phone Book: You can dial by using the downloaded phone book. You can download phone book data from your cell phone to the DDX7701HD. Up to 600 numbers can be stored for each registered cell phone. Each number can be up to 32 digits long and each name can be up to 50 characters long. You can search the phone book alphabetically (A-Z).
- Call History: The Call History is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls (up to 50 each).
- Voice Dialing: If your mobile phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone.
Note: This unit allows you to answer a call or dial out using any option without engaging the vehicle's parking brake.
Wireless Audio Streaming w/ aptX CSR: The Kenwood DDX7701HD supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The DDX7701HD even employs AptX audio coding technology for lossless, CD-quality streaming with compatible AptX-compatible phones (like some Androids). The DDX7701HD will be able to control basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music; such as Play/Pause, Skip Next/Previous, Fast Forward/Rewind and Random/Repeat. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title. The DDX7701HD also supports audio streaming of music apps downloaded on your smartphone with metadata display and limited control. Advanced music control of your music apps will still need be done via your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone.
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected with an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth (not USB), the Kenwood DDX7701HD has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply press-and-hold down on the head unit's "VOICE/TEL" button to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the DDX7701HD and its microphone. The head unit's LCD touchscreen will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Kenwood DDX7701HD; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Note: You can ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Compatible Discs: The Kenwood DDX7701HD's touchscreen monitor electronically slides down for loading and ejecting discs. The Kenwood DDX7701HD supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW, and VCD discs. The unit supports MPEG-1/MPEG-2 video & JPEG files recorded on to CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW discs. It also supports playback of MP3, WMA, and AAC music files loaded onto a CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW disc.
USB Port: The Kenwood DDX7701HD features a rear-panel Full-Speed 2.0 USB type-A port (attached to the unit's rear-chassis by a 39" cable) for connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. The USB port enables playback of MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, and FLAC audio files; as well as JPEG still-picture files stored on a compatible USB memory device. The DDX7701HD also supports video playback of MPEG1/2/4, H.264, and MKV, WMV video files from a connected portable USB MSC device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the DVD receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
File Compatibility: The Kenwood DDX7701HD supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB (MSC compatible)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, Long File Name||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48kHz
WMA: bit rate of 48-192kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 32-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 16-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 16-48kHz
|MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48kHz
WMA: bit rate of 4-192kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 32-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 16-48kHz
WAV: bit rate of 16-bit w/ sampling frequencies of 44.1kHz
FLAC: bit rate of 16-bit w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48 kHz
to 720x480 or 352x280 to720x576 (4.0Mbps)
MPEG-2: 352x240 to 720x480 or 352x280 to 720x576 (4.0Mbps)
352x240 to 720x480 or 352x280 to720x576 (4.0Mbps)
H.264: 352 x 240, 352 x 288, 720 x 480, 720 x 576 (8.0Mbps)
WMV/MKV: 640 x 480 (2. Mbps)
|Photo||N/A||JPEG: 32x32 to 8192x7680 pixels|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||250 folders/5,000 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags (ver. 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags, and WAV-tags|
Folder/Track List: The Folder/Track List allows you to search folders and audio/video/picture files stored on a disc or USB device.
Highlight Control (DVD Playback): During DVD playback, you can control certain operations simply by touching an area of the screen. The touchscreen has 4 functions areas. You can touch the left of the screen to start the current chapter over, or the right of the screen to skip to the next chapter. Pressing the top center of the screen activates the DVD disc menu control buttons, while pressing the bottom center activates the source control screen.
Search Functions (USB only): The Kenwood DDX7701HD offers unique search functions for USB playback.
- Category Search: You can navigate music stored on your USB memory device by Playlist, Artist, Song, or Album. Once a category is selected, you can search the contents alphabetically.
- Link Search: Link Search allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. The head unit can create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, a artist list of the currently playing genre, or a album list of currently playing composer.
- Picture Search: The unit will display up to eight thumbnails of still-images to choose from. The selected thumbnail will become a full screen image.
- Album Artwork: You can search music files by selecting the Album Artwork. You can even create an original playlist of your favorite 10 albums by selecting album artwork.
Parental Control (DVD only): Parental Control allows you to restrict DVD playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
Disc Auto Reload: The unit will automatically reinsert a disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
Firmware Updates (via USB): The unit's operating system is updateable via free downloadable software from Kenwood's support site. Firmware downloads assist in maintaining system performance when using external devices and emerging technologies. Firmware/software updates can be downloaded onto a USB thumbdrive from your computer and then inserted into the head unit's USB port and uploaded. Go to Kenwood's Support Site for the latest firmware/software updates.
iPod/iPhone AV Playback: The Kenwood DDX7701HD supports direct connection of your 30-pin or Lightning-connector iPod/iPhone through its rear-panel USB port and 3.5mm input or HDMI input. The DDX7701HD offers audio/video playback of connected Apple iPod/iPhone models (video can only be displayed while the vehicle is in park).
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: If you own an older iPod/iPhone with the 30-pin dock connector, you can enjoy audio and video files on your Apple device through the Kenwood DDX7701HD. Using Kenwood's KCA-IP202 iPod video cable (113KCIP202, sold separately), you can enjoy audio playback of your stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone; plus video playback of your stored movies and video apps (like Netflix) on your iPod/iPhone through the Kenwood DDX7701HD. If you only desire audio playback, you can use Kenwood's KCA-IP102 iPod cable (113KCIP102, sold separately) or the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the DDX7701HD.
- Lightning Connector: If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the Kenwood DDX7701HD for audio playback only. You'll be able to listen to stored music and music apps on your Lightning-connector Apple device through the Kenwood DVD receiver. To watch stored video and video apps (like Netflix) in addition to music from your Lightning-connector Apple device on the Kenwood DDX7701HD, you'll need Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV adapter, a Lightning-to-USB cable, and a mobile-grade HDMI cable; such as the Kenwood KCA-HD100 (all sold separately) - this type of connection also requires Bluetooth pairing.
Note: You will need to select which type of connection method you are using in the head unit's setup menu.
iPod/iPhone Control: In addition to audio/video playback, the Kenwood DDX7701HD supports control, song/artist information display, and battery charging of your compatible Apple device.
- Head Unit Control: The Kenwood head unit allows you to navigate your iPod's music library by Playlist, Artists, Album, Song, Genre, Song, Podcast, or Audiobook. Your iPod's video library can be searched by Video Playlist, Movie, Music Video, TV Show, Video Podcast, Rented Movie, or iTunesU. You can then search each of these categories using the head unit's touchscreen slider function (categories will be listed in alphabetical order). You can even search your iPod's music library by Album Art and create a Favorite List, which contains an original playlist of your favorite 10 albums. In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, a artist list of the currently playing genre, or a album list of currently playing composer. The head unit also supports basic playback functions such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track and Repeat/Random of your connected iPod/iPhone. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ will still allow you to navigate stored music and movies from the Apple device's touchscreen, as well access music and video apps; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Song/Artist Info & Album Art: The DDX7701HD will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art. Pandora and iHeart Radio will also display metadata information. Other music apps will only display song/artist information in Apps mode.
- Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Apps Mode for iPhone & Android (via HDMI): You can listen to audio from stored music and music apps, watch video from stored movies and movie apps, and view navigation apps on your Lightning-connector iPhone (iOS 7+) or Android (OS 4.1+) smartphone, using the head unit's HDMI input and its Apps Mode. The head unit will mirror the display of your mobile device (not always full-screen) when in Apps Mode. Apps Mode also provides basic playback control for your iPhone from the receiver's touchscreen; basic playback functions include Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Previous/Next Track. You can even control your Android device from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from the smartphone; this requires that your vehicle's parking brake be engaged (all other Apps mode functionality does not require the parking brake be engaged). Using either a compatible iPhone or Android smartphone, you can also exit App Mode and access Pandora, and iHeartRadio directly from the head unit's touchscreen with advance music navigation and control. In addition, the iPhone lets you access its stored music and video library from the head unit's touchscreen with advance search and playback control when connected via HDMI. While navigation maps from your smartphone can be displayed on the Kenwood head unit's touchscreen, the navigation app will still need to be controlled from your iPhone or Android device (unless you have the vehicle's parking brake engaged; in this case you can control Android maps from the head unit's touchscreen).
- iPhone Connectivity: If you have an iPhone with the Lightning connector, you will need Apple's Lightning Digital AV adapter, Lightning-to-USB cable, and a a mobile-grade HDMI cable; such as the Kenwood KCA-HD100 (sold separately). This type of connection also requires Bluetooth pairing. The HDMI connector provides the audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges your iPhone device. The Bluetooth connection allows you to control basic playback functions from the head unit.
- Android Connectivity: The head unit's HDMI port is MHL compatible; this means you can simply connect select MHL-compatible Android smartphones to the receiver via a MHL-to-HDMI cable; such as Kenwood's KCA-MH100 cable (sold separately). This type of connection also requires Bluetooth pairing and installation of the Kenwood Smartphone Control App from Google Play (may also require firmware update). The HDMI connector provides audio/video playback and charging of your Android smartphone's battery, while the Bluetooth connection is also needed for touchscreen control. Compatible Android smartphones include Samsung Galaxy *S3/S4/S5/Note II/III, Sony Xperia Z/Z1/ZR/ZL, and HTC One (all with OS 4.1+). *The Samsung Galaxy S3/4/5 and Note II/III requires an additional 3rd party MHL microUSB 5-pin to 11-pin adapter (sold separately).
Note: Access to your iPhone and Android smartphone 's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Not all Android and Apple iOS apps are guaranteed to be compatible.
Waze App: The DDX7701HD also supports the Waze navigation app (from iTunes & GooglePlay) for Apple iPhone with Lightning connector and Android via HDMI/MHL through the head unit's Apps Mode. You'll be able to view the Waze app from the Kenwood head unit's touchscreen. If you are using an Android smartphone, you can control Waze from the head unit's touchscreen when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
Garmin App (for iPhone w/ Lightning Connector): In addition, Apple's Lightning Digital AV adapter, Lightning-to-USB cable, and a a mobile-grade HDMI cable; such as the Kenwood KCA-HD100 (sold separately) allows you to view navigation maps and get audible/visual directions on the DDX7701HD's touchscreen, when the Garmin StreetPilot Onboard USA app ($49.99), and the Vehicle Display Integration in-app option ($49.99) are both downloaded to your connected iPhone with Lightning connector (7.0+). The Garmin StreetPilot Onboard USA app contains NAVTEQ map data for the United States (lower 49 states); with over a million POIs, turn-by turn directions, lane assist with junction view, traffic updates, and speed limit alerts. Because the map data is downloaded onto your iPhone and does not live on the network, wireless coverage is not required to navigate. Once you have selected your destination on your connected iPhone, your map route will be visible on the DDX7701HD's touchscreen (even with parking brake disengaged) and turn-by-turn directions can be heard through your car stereo speakers. You will continue to use your iPhone's touchscreen to control the Garmin StreetPilot USA app. The screen of your iPhone and the screen of the Kenwood DDX7701HD may not be identical.
Note: KThe Garmin App is no longer compatible with the iPhone 4/4S through Kenwood's KCA-IP202 iPod video cable.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood DDX7701HD is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 9/8/2014):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Apps Mode||Pandora||iHeart Radio||Garmin StreetPilot||Album Art||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
- *Requires Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV adapter (sold separately), a Lightning-to-USB cable (sold separately), and a mobile-grade HDMI cable (sold separately).
- ***Requires Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV adapter (sold separately), a Lightning-to-USB cable (sold separately), a mobile-grade HDMI cable (sold separately), the Garmin StreetPilot Onboard USA app ($49.99), and the Vehicle Display Integration in-app option ($49.99).
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Built-In HD Tuner: With its built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio significantly improves AM/FM audio quality and reception, as well as includes information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. HD Radio Technology will deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo (70dB SN @ 40-15kHz), while FM digital will have CD-like quality (70 dB SN @ 20-20kHz) with static free and clear reception. The unit's built-in HD Radio tuner allows analog AM/FM tuning as well.
- Seek Modes + Direct Access Tuning: You can choose one of three seek modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual. You can also setup the DDX7701HD to search only HD Radio stations. In addition, you can directly access an AM/FM station by entering in the frequency number using the unit's LCD touchscreen.
- Tuner Presets: The DDX7701HD's tuner features 3 FM banks (1, 2, 3) and 1 AM bank for storing presets. You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets (total of 24). Not only does the DVD receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling.
- Station Info & Multicasting: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles; as well as Album Art. In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8).
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Internet Radio Apps (for iPhone & Android): The Kenwood DDX7701HD allows you to access Pandora and iHeartRadio online music services through your USB-connected, Bluetooth-paired, or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected iPhone (5.0+); as well as your Bluetooth-paired or HDMI+Blueooth-connected Android smartphone. Your Apple iPhone can be connected to the DDX7701HD via the Kenwood KCA-iP102 cable (sold separately), the cable supplied with your iPhone, Bluetooth, or HDMI+Bluetooth. Your Android smartphone must support be paired via Bluetooth or connected via HDMI+Bluetooth to the Kenwood DDX7701HD. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi.
- Pandora App (for iPhone/Android): The free Pandora App (either from iTunes Apps or Google Play) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Kenwood DDX7701HD using your USB-connected, Bluetooth-paired, or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+); as well as your Bluetooth-paired or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Android smartphone. The Kenwood DDX7701HD provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your station or genre list and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down. An active Pandora account is required.
- iHeartRadio Auto (for iPhone/Android): The free iHeartRadio Auto app for Kenwood (either from iTunes Apps or Google Play) lets you play music from the iHeartRadio music service through the Kenwood DDX7701HD using your USB-connected, Bluetooth-paired, or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+); as well as your Bluetooth-paired or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Android smartphone (2.2+). The iHeartRadio music service provides access to more than 1,500 live radio stations from coast-to-coast (including pop, country, urban, rock, talk, and sports). The DDX7701HD will provide control over the iHeartRadio Auto app, as well as display station identification and song/artist information. From the head unit's front-panel controls, iHeartRadio stations can be searched by the following categories (Local, Genre, City, or My Stations). The Local selection provides a list of radio stations in your local listening area. The unit also provides over 22 Genres to choose from (including pop, country, hip-hop, jazz, etc.) to help you find the right radio station for you. In addition, you can search for radio stations by City. Cities can be searched alphabetically (A-Z). You can even store your favorite stations (My Stations) for easier, quicker access. An active iHeartRadio account is required.
Note: Access to these Internet Radio services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM Ready: The Kenwood DDX7701HD comes ready for SiriusXM programming with access to XM and Sirius Satellite Radio stations. Thanks to its proprietary SiriusXM Connect port, you can add the optional SXV200V1 SiriusXM Connect tuner and receive more than 150 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM, via the "SiriusXM All Access" package (subscription required). Visit SiriusXM.com for a complete list of subscription options and channel guide. Additional features of the SXV200V1 SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel List w/ Category Search: A channel list displays a list of all available channels. The Category Search function searches for channels in a certain category.
- Song/Artist Info: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Channel Logo, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Presets + Smart Favorites: Up to 24 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets can be saved. Up to 6 of your SiriusXM presets can be identified as Smart Favorites for advanced features such as TuneStart & TuneScan.
- Instant Replay: You can pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of current channel. You'll also be able to rewind and replay the last 30 minutes of content from your six Smart Favorite channels.
- TuneStart & TuneScan: TuneStart allows you to choose whether to start a song from the beginning or from its live point when tuning to a Smart Favorite channel. TuneScan plays the first 10 seconds of each song that has not been listened to from each of the channels which you have saved as Smart Favorites.
- Alerts: Song/Artist Alert notifies when your favorite songs or artists are being broadcast on any SiriusXM station. GameAlert will display an on-screen message if your favorite teams' games are being broadcast. You can also be alerted to information pertaining to your local weather and traffic.
- Parental Control: Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood DDX7701HD utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality with a Signal-to-Noise ratio up to 98dB.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood DDX7701HD is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the DDX7701HD are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
6ch/4V Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The DDX7701HD features front, rear and subwoofer 4-volt preamp outputs. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. You can adjust the subwoofer output's Phase (0° or 180°) and Level (-50to +10dB).
Digital Signal Processing (DSP): In order to optimize the sound quality, you can use the unit's DSP to set the type of vehicle, speaker sizes & locations, listening distances, and x-over points.
- Car Type: Select your car type to automatically set the Delay Time of each speaker for timing adjustment of sound output of each channel to have the highest surround effect. Choose from Compact, Full Size Car, Wagon, Mini Van, SUV, or Off
- Listening Position + Digital Time Alignment: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-20') for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
- Speaker Location: You can set the location of your vehicle's Front and Rear speakers. The Front speakers can be set to Door, On Dash, or Under Dash. The Rear speakers can be set to Door, Rear Deck, 2nd Row, or 3rd Row.
- Speaker Size: You can select the speaker size for your Front and Rear speakers (including tweeter), as well as your subwoofer. The Front and Rear speakers can be set to OEM, 3.5", 4", 4.75", 5", 6.5", 6.75", 7", 4x6", 5x7", 6x8", 6x9", or 7x10". The tweeter can be set to Small, Middle, Large, or None. The Subwoofer can be set to 6.5", 8", 10", 12", or 15"+. Select None if you have no Rear speaker or sub.
- X'Over: The head unit features independent Front & Rear high-pass crossovers, as well as a subwoofer low-pass crossover. The Front & Rear high-pass crossovers and Subwoofer low-pass crossover can be set to 50, 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, or 220Hz; slope of -6, -12, -18, or -24 dB per octave (or select Full-Range).
Note: You can also choose to bypass the head unit's DSP feature.
Equalizer: The DDX7701HD offers 10 preset EQs for easy adjustment and a 5-band parametric EQ for fine-tuning. You can select from Flat, Natural, Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Powerful, iPod (you can select from 22 EQ curve types within your iPod), or User (customized 5-band EQ). The 5-band equalizer consists of 62.5Hz, 250Hz, 1kHz, 4khz, & 16kHz frequencies which can be adjusted from -9 to +9dB.
Note: Separate EQ settings and EQ preset are stored for each source (Disc, Tuner, USB, iPod, Bluetooth, and Pandora/iHeart Radio).
Bass Management: The DDX7701HD offers Bass Boost, Bass DC Extension, and Loudness.
- Bass Boost: The DDX7701HD features a four-step Bass Boost (Off/1/2/3) to enhance your music's lower frequencies.
- Bass DC Extension: When turned on, frequencies lower than 6.25 Hz are set the same gain level as the unit's 7-Band EQ 62.5 Hz gain setting.
- Loudness: This function enhances low and high frequencies to make the sound clearer lower volumes.
Volume Level Adjustment: The navigation receiver offers several volume level adjustment to tailor the audio output of your sources.
- Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to +6.
- Drive EQ: Drive EQ setting automatically optimizes the sound quality to meet the current volume level.
- Dynamic Range: The dynamic range can be adjusted by selecting either Normal, Wide or Dialog. Dialog makes the total sound volume become larger as compared with Wide and Normal, allowing you to listen to the movie's dialogue more clearly. This is effective only on Dolby Digital software.
Source Beep: The in-dash receiver provides an audible beep to confirm source selection. This function can be turned On or Off.
Dual A/V Inputs: The Kenwood DDX7701HD DVD receiver is fitted with two rear-panel audio/video inputs. The both AV inputs consist of a 3.5mm jack for connection of an external AV source; such as TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The AV-2 input also serves as the A/V input for your USB-connected iPod (using proprietary Kenwood cable).
HDMI/MHL Input: The In addition to Apps mode for iPhone and Android, the head unit's HDMI/MHL input can be used to connect almost any external mobile AV source with an HDMI output; such as a TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device.
A/V Output (with Dual Zone): The unit features a composite video jack and 3.5mm audio jack to output A/V signals to an optional monitor and headphone system. The unit's A/V output can be set to Disc, AV-1, USB, iPod, or Off. You can adjust the volume of the 2nd Zone independently from 0 to 35. You can select between a 16:9, 4:3 LB, or 4:3 PS Aspect Ratio for the unit's video output to match your connected monitor.
Note: Different sources from iPod/iPhone cannot be set as front and rear sources independently. Only one iPod/iPhone source can be set as front and rear sources. Apps mode and the HDMI/MHL input are not available to the second zone.
Camera Input: The unit features a composite video input for connecting an optional rear view camera, such as the Kenwood CMOS-230 (113CMOS230, sold separately). The video from this connection can be set to display when switched to this input, or display the rear view camera video automatically when the vehicle is shifted into Reverse gear. The purple/white wire (attached to rear-chassis) must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.5 seconds.
OEM Integration: This Kenwood DVD receiver is compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR (794ADSMRR, sold separately); a web programmable module that will permit the aftermarket Kenwood receiver to work with select Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles that feature the factory SYNC system; as well as select GM vehicles with factory OnStar; select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles with U-Connect, and select Volkswagens with factory digital amplifier. The iDatalink Maestro RR lets Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, GM, Dodge/Chrysler, and VW owners swap out their factory radio for this aftermarket Kenwood head unit; while retaining the Ford Sync system, GM OnStar system, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep U-Connect system, steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, USB interface, Satellite Radio, and 911 assist. You also get to keep the hands-free mic that comes with the car (which is specially tuned to that particular vehicle). In some installations, the iDatalink Maestero RR lets you configure the head unit to operate interior climate controls and provides extra visual data; such as User Selectable Gauges, Vehicle Info (Tire Pressure/Battery Voltage/Check Engine Codes/Door Ajar Warning), and Visual Park Assist.
Note: The iDatalink Maestro RR is web programmable, which means you'll need to flash the iDatalink Maestor RR interface module with the correct firmware from iDatalink's website. In addition to flashing the iDatalink Maestro RR module, you'll also need a vehicle specific harness (sold separately). The Kenwood receiver's OEM Setup menu must also be configured with your compatible vehicle's factory system before initial operation.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Optional Remote Control: The optional Kenwood KNA-RCDV331 IR wireless remote control (113RCDV331, sold separately) unit is designed to operate this Kenwood navigation head unit. The wireless remote controller operates off of two supplied "AAA" batteries. The remote operates off of IR transmission so the KNA-RCDV331 must be pointed at the front-panel of the Kenwood head unit within direct line of sight.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
5 questions already asked
I measured the depth on one of the mounting units that came with the unit. It measures 5 1/2". I don't think the unit extends much beyond that if any. The old Kenwood unit I had in there was 6" deep. I think you'll be inside your 6.5" limit. Hope this helps. [ CARL Jan 26, 2015 ]
Yes, it will work for you. However, I would advise that you use right angle/90° cable connectors to ensure a comfortably flush seating. Great unit. Enjoy. [ John Jan 22, 2015 ]
I purchased mine a couple months ago and had to make some modifications for it to be able to install in my 2010 dodge avenger. [ CHAD Jan 20, 2015 ]
Sorry I can't help you directly Ken, but I installed the unit in a 2014 Mustang and it works great. Very good options and ability to select what you want displayed. [ CHRIS Jan 20, 2015 ]
Approximate Dimensions: Height: 4-7/16" Width: 7-3/16" Depth: 6-7/16" [ ANGEL M Jan 20, 2015 ]
Approximate Dimensions: Height: 4-7/16" Width: 7-3/16" Depth: 6-7/16" [ ANGEL M Jan 20, 2015 ]
4 answers I need to know if this is compatible with the Galaxy Phone, as far as if I am using my GPS on the phone will it display to the screen?? Obviously there would be cables needed if it is but want to know before I purchase. If this isn't which stereo should I go with so that I can? [ Chad Oct 21, 2014 ]
I'm using a Samsung S4 and with the right cables the stereo with mirror my phone screen so I can see the GPS from my phone but all controls are on the phone not the stereo. [ walter Oct 28, 2014 ]
It should work. But I don't have all the right cords yet for my galaxy s5 to work with it yet [ Ty Oct 26, 2014 ]
I have a iPhone 5s and I need a lightning to hdmi adapter and it works fine that way but the display is little dark this way [ DAVID Oct 22, 2014 ]
There are certain models that will work. The newer ones unfortunately are not compatible. There is a lost of compatible phones on the Kenwood website. [ BRUCE Oct 22, 2014 ]
A harness is needed for this installation, but we will include that with your order. [ Jeff Sep 11, 2014 ] Staff
2 answers Has anyone experience glare with this head unit or sunlight washing out the screen? I'm looking to replace my current aftermarket head unit and my main complaint with it is the glare. In sunlight conditions, I can barely see the screen. Anybody have this problem with this unit or is it a safe bet to solve my problem? [ ItaiG Jun 02, 2014 ]
Yes. I think this is the nature of a dash mounted system. Usually factory systems are inset with a shroud. [ DONALD Jun 06, 2014 ]
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Jeff Jun 04, 2014 ] Staff
Thanks for your question. For information on comparing two or more models I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Greg May 22, 2014 ] Staff