Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Kenwood DVT-505 DVD
DVD home theater system
Item # 113DVT505 | MFR # DVT-505
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Kenwood DVT-505 DVD by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Kenwood's ingenious DVT-505 system provides a wraparound surround sound experience for both movies and music. In addition to Dolby Digital and DTS decoding for DVD soundtracks, it includes Dolby's Pro Logic II processing. Pro Logic II creates a 5.1-channel effect on Dolby® Surround-encoded movie soundtracks (like VHS movies), and on stereo music sources, too.
The DVD/CD player plays DVDs and CDs, plus audio CD-Rs and CD-RWs even MP3-encoded CDs! You can also listen to the AM/FM tuner, which includes 30 station presets for your favorites. Built-in amplifier power is 40 watts apiece for the satellite speakers and subwoofer; plenty for satisfying home theater impact in small- to medium-sized rooms.
You'll find a generous number of inputs and outputs: A/V inputs for a VCR, DBS system, and video game console; optical and coaxial digital inputs, plus an optical digital output for recording to a CD recorder or MiniDisc deck.
The matching left, right, and center satellite speakers feature a true 2-way design: each has a 4" woofer and 1" tweeter. The surround speakers are the same size and style, but use a single 4" cone. The subwoofer's bass-reflex enclosure houses an 8" woofer to provide low-frequency oomph.
You may be able to clear your coffee table of a couple of remotes the supplied system remote comes pre-coded for most TVs, VCRs, cable boxes and DBS receivers.Details:
- DVD/CD player/receiver:
- plays DVD-Video discs, CDs, audio CD-Rs & CD-RWs, and MP3 CDs
- built-in Dolby Digital/DTS/Pro Logic II decoding
- surround and stereo DSP modes
- Cinema EQ
- 6-channel amplifier (40 watts x 6)
- AM/FM tuner with 30 station presets
- 3 A/V inputs (1 is in/out); composite and S-video
- 1 monitor video output (composite, S-video and component video)
- 2 digital audio inputs (2 optical, 1 coaxial)
- optical digital audio output
- 96kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter
- multibrand remote (controls TVs, VCRs, cable boxes and DBS receivers)
- 17-3/8"W x 3-3/4"H x 17-1/4"D
- 8" cone
- ported enclosure
- 11-7/8"W x 13-1/8"H x 17-7/8"D
- video-shielded, 2-way design with 4" woofer, 1" tweeter
- 2 keyhole slots for wall-mounting
- 5-1/8"W x 7-7/8"H x 5"D
- video-shielded, with single 4" cone
- ported enclosure
- 2 keyhole slots for wall-mounting
- 5-1/8"W x 7-7/8"H x 5"D
- frequency response 40-20,000 Hz
- warranty: 1 year
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
Front speakers (left, center, right):
What's in the Box:
- DVR-505 DVD/CD player/receiver
- SW-15DV Subwoofer
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber feet (for the subwoofer)
- KS-305DV five speaker system
- RC-R0721 Wireless remote
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- 3' Video RCA patch cord
- One 6' length of speaker wire for the front right channel (has bare wire on one end and a proprietary red speaker connector on the other end)
- One 6' length of speaker wire for the front left channel (has bare wire on one end and a proprietary blue speaker connector on the other end)
- One 6' length of speaker wire for the center channel (has bare wire on one end and a proprietary green speaker connector on the other end)
- One 15' length of speaker wire for the subwoofer channel (has bare wire on one end and a proprietary brown speaker connector on the other end)
- One 26' length of speaker wire for the left rear channel (has bare wire on one end and a proprietary gray speaker connector on the other end)
- One 26' length of speaker wire for the right rear channel (has bare wire on one end and a proprietary orange speaker connector on the other end)
- Operating Instructions
- Quick connection guide
- Warranty sheet
- Toll free assistance phone number for Kenwood
- Manual correction
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
System Overview: This integrated system includes a DVD/Video CD/Audio CD player/receiver, 2-way satellites for the left, right, and center channels, full-range satellites for surround, plus a separate subwoofer. A multibrand remote is included for system control.
DVD/CD/Video CD Player: This system has a DVD/CD/Video CD player that is compatible with the following discs: DVDs, Video CDs, audio CDs, finalized audio CD-Rs and CD-RWs, and CD-ROM (MP3 only). Both five inch and three inch discs can be used.
MP3: MP3 files recorded using the ISO9660 level 1 format on CD-R, CD-RW, or CD-ROM can be played on this unit.
Surround Sound Fields:
- Dolby Digital
- Dolby Pro Logic II: simulates 5.1- with 2-channel sources, useful with movie and music sources
- Dolby Pro Logic
- Circle Surround: used to simulate 5.1-channel sound from a 2-channel source, designed for use with music
- DSP: there are 5 DSP settings to simulate various listening environments, arena, jazz club, theater, stadium, and disco
- Stereo: uses the two front speakers and the subwoofer
Speaker Setup: The level of each speaker can be set from -10dB to +10dB and the delay time (measured in feet) can be adjusted as follows:
- Front Speakers: from 3 to 40 feet in 1 foot increments
- Center Speaker: from 5 feet closer than the front speakers to the same setting as the front speakers in 1 foot increments
- Rear Speakers: from 15 feet closer than the front speakers to the same setting as the front speakers in 1 foot increments
- Subwoofer: not adjustable
- Test Tone: used to set the levels of the satellite speakers; sub should be done with music playing
Audio D/A converter: This unit has a 96kHz/24-bit D/A converter that will allow it to play back video DVDs recorded with 96kHz/24-bit audio.
Bass Boost: From the remote, the bass boost circuit can be engaged with any of the input sources.
Night Mode: When playing a Dolby Digital source, the night mode lessens the dynamic range thereby lowering the volume for the louder passages. This is often used for late night listening so no one else in the house is disturbed.
Resume Play: This feature allows you to resume playback of a disc from the point where you last stopped. The stopping point will be lost if the tray is opened or the power is turned off.
Program Play: Up to 32 chapters or tracks can be programmed and played in any order.
Random Play: When playing an audio CD, you can play the tracks in random order.
Repeat Play: When playing a DVD, you can repeat the current title, current chapter, or the entire disc. When playing an audio CD, you can repeat the current track or the entire disc. In addition, you can repeat Program Play and Shuffle Play. Note: When repeat and random are used together, the random order is set during the first play cycle, then the disc is repeated in the same (random) order as the first time. A/B repeat allows you to mark two points on the disc and repeat the section between those points.
Scan Search: When playing a DVD, there are four fast-play speeds available in either direction. When playing a CD, there are three fast-play speeds available in either direction.
Slow Motion: When playing a DVD, you may move forward or backward through the program being played in one of four slow motion speeds (1/16, 1/8, 1/4 or 1/2), or frame by frame. When playing a Video CD, you may move forward through the program being played in one of three slow motion speeds (1/8, 1/4 or 1/2).
Multi-Angle Display: This function allows you to choose the viewing angle of scenes that were shot from a number of different angles. This function is limited to DVDs recorded with multiple camera angles.
Parental Control: This unit allows you to set playback restrictions for DVDs using Parental Control. Parental Control allows you to restrict playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
Tuner: This system has a digital AM/FM Tuner. You can store up to 30 FM and AM station presets so that you always have easy access to your favorite stations without having to tune them in manually each time. FM tuning is done in 0.1MHz steps and AM tuning is done in 10 kHz steps.
- On-Screen Display: allows you to select English, Spanish, or French as the on-screen display language
- Audio (DVD only): allows you to select English, Spanish, French, or other (for which there is a list of 124 other language codes) as the audio language
- Subtitle (DVD only): Allows you to select English, Spanish, French, or other (for which there is a list of 124 other language codes) as the subtitle language
- TV Type (DVD only): allows you to select 4:3 Letter Box (automatically displays a wide screen DVD as letterboxed on a normal aspect ratio TV), 4:3 Pan Scan (automatically converts a wide screen DVD to Pan and Scan when supported by the DVD, otherwise it is played in letter box format), or 16:9 (used when using a wide-screen TV with a 16:9 ratio)
Subwoofer: The subwoofer uses a front-firing 8" woofer in a bass-reflex enclosure and is powered by a 40-watt amplifier built into the receiver/DVD player. The subwoofer is black and the driver is covered by a non-removable, black cloth grill.
Satellites: The front left and right satellites and the center channel have 4" cone midranges and 1" cone tweeters. The surround satellites have 4" full-range cone drivers. Each satellite has an acoustic suspension enclosure, a set of spring clip terminals and is covered by a non-removable, silver colored cloth grille.
Satellite Mounting: Each satellite (all five) has two keyhole slots on the back, allowing you to mount the speaker on the wall vertically or horizontally. If you do not wish to mount the satellites on the wall, you can place them on any flat surface.
Video-Shielding: The satellites are video-shielded and the subwoofer is not.
Multibrand Remote: The DVT-505 comes with a remote that is pre-programmed to operate this system and a number of functions on different brands of TVs, VCRs and cable or satellite boxes.
Front Panel of Receiver:
- Phones: stereo mini-jack headphone output
- Auxiliary Input: stereo RCA, RCA composite video, S-video, and Optical digital
Rear Panel of Receiver:
- AM Antenna Input: two spring clip connectors
- FM Antenna Input: push on F-Type connector
- Optical Digital Input: standard Toslink digital input with a plastic protective cover
- Optical Digital Output: standard Toslink digital output with a plastic protective cover
- Coaxial Digital Input: coaxial (RCA) digital input
- VCR Input/Output: stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jacks and S-video inputs and outputs
- Satellite Input: stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video inputs
- Component Video Output: 3 RCA jacks labeled Y, Cb and Cr
- Monitor Output: RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- Speaker Outputs: six color-coded 2-pin proprietary connectors
- Receiver: W=17.285", H=3.695", D=17.250"
- Subwoofer: W=11.820", H=13.085", D=17.875"
- Satellites: W=5.083", H=7.849", D=4.978"
- Front (6 ohms at 1kHz, 10% THD): 40 watts x 2
- Center (6 ohms at 1kHz, 10% THD): 40 watts
- Rear (6 ohms at 1kHz, 10% THD): 40 watts x 2
- Subwoofer (6 ohms at 1kHz, 10% THD): 40 watts
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.