Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Kenwood Excelon KAC-X810D
400W x 1 Mono Subwoofer Amplifier
Item # 113KACX810 | MFR # KAC-X810D
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Kenwood Excelon KAC-X810D by Crutchfield's Robert Ferency-Viars
The variable color indicator on a Kenwood Excelon amplifier cycles through seven bright colors or remains locked onto your favorite for constant illumination. The indicator starts flashing if your amp goes into protect mode, so you'll know what's wrong at a glance just by the color of the flash!
But beneath the intensely cool exterior of these amplifiers is where the real action takes place. For inside the rugged cover lurks a MOSFET-fueled beast, armed with efficient power supplies and large secondary capacitors that send power tearing through your system!
Kenwood has incorporated a sophisticated Bass Management System into Excelon amps BMS applies a 12 decibel bass boost (variable from 40-100 Hz), allowing you to tune low end output with a stunning degree of accuracy. Connected to a compatible Kenwood Excelon receiver (with BMS controls and an external amp lead), you gain even more control with a choice of 6, 12, or 18 dB of bass boost from the comfort of the driver's seat! A built-in infrasonic filter enhances performance by eliminating power-robbing inaudible frequencies.
The KAC-X810D Mono subwoofer amplifier can send up to 1000 scorching watts (at 1 ohm) of Class D technology power to your subwoofer with high efficiency and minimal heat. The 24 dB per octave crossover lets you trim down the frequency range of the signal being sent to the sub for extra tight bass, while the phase inverter (0-180 degrees) keeps your rear mounted sub(s) firing in sync with your front speakers, for total sonic harmony.Details:
- 400 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
- 800 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- 1,000 watts RMS x 1 at 1 ohm
- Bass Management System
- 50-200 Hz low-pass crossover, 24 dB/octave
- infrasonic filter (15 or 25 Hz selectable, 24 dB/octave)
- 12 dB bass boost variable from 40-100 Hz (expandable to 6/12/18 dB when connected to a Kenwood Excelon receiver equipped with BMS controls)
- phase inverter (0-180 degrees)
- requires 4-gauge power and ground leads (see "Wiring Recommendations" under Detailed Info for more information) wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- preamp outputs
- speaker short, low battery, thermal overload, and DC protection
- variable color indicator
- gold-plated terminals
- detachable terminal covers
- 17-5/8"W (14-5/8" without terminal covers) x 2-5/16"H x 12-3/8"D
- 2-year warranty
What's in the Box:
- Black and silver amplifier
- 2 Black plastic terminal covers
- 4 Metal brackets (for mounting terminal covers)
- Three 25-amp fuses (inserted into amp)
- Four 18mm Self-tapping screws
- Four 8mm Self-tapping screws
- 4 Hex-head screws (M3 x 8mm)
- One 2.5mm Allen wrench
- Instruction manual
- Warranty card
- On-line product registration card (with free CD sampler offer)
Bass Management System (B.M.S): This feature allows precise tailoring of bass frequencies, either remotely with a compatible Kenwood eXcelon head unit or manually (when used with another head unit). When connected to a Kenwood eXcelon head unit (1999 or later models with an "External Control" wire attached), the B.M.S. controls can select 0dB, 6dB, 12dB of bass boost. The bass boost center frequency is variable between 40 Hz and 100 Hz. Newer head units with B.M.S. control can also select 18dB of bass boost and "frequency offset." The frequency offset control can switch between "Normal" (as set by the variable control) or "Low" (20-30% lower). The manual B.M.S. setting provides a 12dB of bass boost at the frequency selected.
Variable-Color Indicator: The status indicator on the top of the amplifier is a variable-color LED that lights in one of 7 selectable colors or constantly changing colors to tell you the amplifier's operating status. Under normal operation, the LED glows constantly. The LED will blink in a certain color based on the amp's status or if the amp has malfunctioned and has gone into protection mode. The blinking color codes include:
- Blue: B.M.S. is activated.
- Yellow: The input power is less than 11 Volts.
- Purple: A DC signal is being sent to the speaker output.
- Red: The unit is overheating.
- Green: The speaker output is shorted or contacts ground.
Internal Low-Pass Crossover: The internal low-pass crossover is continuously variable from 50 Hz to 200 Hz with a slope of 24dB/octave.
Infrasonic Filter: This amplifier features an infrasonic filter, which can cut off inaudible frequencies. Extremely low frequencies can be stressful to an amplifier or loudspeakers, waste power, and cause distortion in the audible frequencies. The infrasonic filter can be set to OFF or ON, at 15Hz or 25Hz, with a slope of 24dB/octave. When on, frequencies below the chosen frequency setting are cut off, resulting in increased amplifier efficiency and better audible sound.
Band Reject Filter: This amplifier's Band Reject filter can reduce any unwanted frequency which causes distortion or vibrations in the vehicle compartment. It is recommended that a signal generator or spectrum analyzer be used to determine what frequency causes the most distortion or vibrations in order for the filter to be most effective. The filter is continuously variable from 40 Hz to 200 Hz and can be set for -6dB or -12dB operation.
Terminal Covers: The amplifier comes with two black plastic terminal covers designed to be mounted on each end of the amp to hide the wires and give it a cleaner look. Mounting hardware is included.
Top of Amplifier (under removable cover):
- Input Sensitivity: Rotary control for adjusting the output level of the amplifier.
- B.M.S. Frequency: Rotary control for setting the center frequency of the bass boost when the B.M.S. switch is set to "+12dB" or "Remote".
- V-Color Button: Push button for selecting the "ON" color for the LED indicator. Each time the button is pressed it selects one of 7 fixed colors or the variable color indicator.
- LPF Frequency: Rotary control for adjusting the crossover frequency of the low-pass filter.
- B.R.F. Frequency: Rotary control for adjusting the frequency of the Band Reject filter.
Right Side of Amplifier:
- B.M.S.: Switch for setting the Bass Management System operation to Remote, Off, or +12dB.
- Band Reject: Switch for setting the Band Reject Filter to Off, -6dB, or -12dB.
- Phase: Switch for setting the speaker output phase to Normal or Reverse.
- Infrasonic: Switch for turning on or off the Infrasonic filter.
Right Side of Amplifier:
- Line In: One pair of gold-plated RCA jacks
- Line Out: One pair of gold-plated RCA jacks
- Ground: Screw for use with RCA patch cables that have ground wires
- External Amp Control: Spring clip for use with compatible Kenwood head units with B.M.S. controls.
Left Side of Amplifier:
- Fuses: Three 25-amp fuses are inserted.
- Battery: Gold-plated screw terminal (width: 0.557")
- Ground: Gold-plated screw terminal (width: 0.557")
- Power Control: Gold-plated screw terminal (width: 0.35")
- Speaker Outputs: Gold-plated screw terminals (width: 0.35") Note: There are two sets of terminals (+,+,--,--) on the amplifier. When connecting only one speaker to the amp, use the center pair. When adding a second speaker, use the outer pair. The terminals are wired internally in parallel.
Maximum Output Power: 1600 watts x 1 at 4 ohms
Rated Power at 12 volts:
- 300 watts x 1 (4 ohms, 20 Hz-200 Hz, 0.5% THD)
- 600 watts x 1 (2 ohms, 100 Hz, 0.5% THD)
Rated Power at 14.4 volts:
- 400 watts x 1 (4 ohms, 20 Hz-200 Hz, 0.5% THD)
- 800 watts x 1 (2 ohms, 100 Hz, 0.5%THD)
- 1000 watts x 1 (1 ohm, 100 Hz, 1.0% THD)
Best Frequency Response: 5 Hz-200 Hz (+0, -3dB)
Dimensions With Terminal Covers:
- Width: 17.625"
- Height: 2.311"
- Depth: 12.375"
Dimensions Without Terminal Covers:
- Width: 14.625"
- Height: 2.311"
- Depth: 12.375"
Wiring Recommendation: This amplifier uses three 25-amp fuses, so its fuse rating (75-amps total) exceeds that of typical 4 gauge wiring kits, which tend to include a 60-amp fuse. The highest AGU fuse values carried by Crutchfield are 70 and 80 amps. To accommodate the entire 75-amp fuse rating, the fuse included with a pre-packaged wiring kit should be replaced with an 80-amp AGU fuse (sold separately).
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.