Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X598
Watch a product demo
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X598 - Enjoy hands-free calling and audio streaming using the built-in Bluetooth technology
Crutchfield: Kenwood KDC-X598 display and controls demo
Our take on the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X598 by Crutchfield's Dave Delamere
Kenwood Excelon quality
If you're into sound quality in your car, Kenwood Excelon receivers feature hot 4-volt preamp outputs for your amps and an impressive array of sound-sculpting tools. This Kenwood Excelon KDC-X598 CD receiver uses built-in Bluetooth® to bring hands-free calling and audio streaming to your vehicle. And Kenwood backs up this versatile receiver with a 2-year warranty.
Bluetooth lets you concentrate on driving
Bluetooth gives you hands-free calling convenience, plus a wireless connection to the songs stored on your compatible music player. If you're an Android® user who's grown tired of your old radio's complicated Bluetooth pairing issues, this receiver's simple, secure pairing (SSP) technology will make your life easier. If you're an iPhone® aficionado, the KDC-X598 gives you full Siri Eyes Free control with compatible iPhones.
Once you're paired up, you can talk hands-free by simply touching the dedicated "phone" button when a call comes in. And the receiver can alert you when you receive text messages, which you can read when you're out of the car. You can install the external Bluetooth microphone in a good spot inside your vehicle for superior hands-free communication.
Stream radio from your phone
If you listen to Internet radio on your iPhone or Android, you can use this receiver's controls to play music from Pandora® and iHeartRadio® Internet radio. You can scroll through your stations, bookmark songs, and give a thumbs-up or thumbs-down right from the receiver's face. And speaking of radio, you can add a satellite radio tuner to this Kenwood, and get into the in-depth music and entertainment programming provided by SiriusXM.
The sound and the display
The KDC-X598's 3-band parametric equalizer lets you adjust the centerpoint of your treble, midrange, and bass controls. You can use the low-pass frequency filter and phase control to tune the bass going to your subwoofer. You can also adjust the variable-color display so this Kenwood looks right at home in your dash, while dust covers protect the CD slot, aux input, and USB port.
One versatile USB port
The receiver's front-panel USB port allows you to access and control the music stored on your iPhone or Android phone. And the port can handle MP3, WMA, or WAV music files on a thumb drive too. Here's a nice feature from Kenwood — Drive Change allows you to connect a memory card reader or USB hub to the Kenwood's USB input and select music from up to five memory cards or USB flash drives.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter (not included) to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Kenwood Excelon stereo. Connect a few wires, program the adapter for your car and this Kenwood, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. Check the "Accessories" tab for compatible adapters.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
Awesome quality and the Crutchfield customer service neat , they help me to pair mi iPhone 6
Gino, Fort Myers, FL
What's in the Box:
- CD receiver (10A fuse)
- Face (attached)
- Trim ring (attached)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RC-406)
- CR2025 3V lithium-battery (installed in remote)
- Microphone with integrated bracket (attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector)
- 2 Removal tools
- Face-fixing screw
- Instruction Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty Card
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- one-button Bluetooth pairing with iPhone
- Pandora and iHeartRadio Internet radio control with iPhone and Android
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA music files
- detachable face with 13-digit display and variable-color illumination
- Siri Eyes Free control with select iPhones
- wireless remote control
- System Q-EX (8 preset EQ curves and a 3-band parametric equalizer)
- speaker size settings
- Sound Reconstruction improves the sound of compressed audio files
- 3-level bass boost
- high- and low-pass filters; subwoofer level and phase control
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- Kenwood Music Control app enables playback of music files over USB from select Android devices
- Drive Change lets you select audio from multiple flash drives or memory cards in a connected USB hub or memory card reader
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: front-panel auxiliary and USB input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, and subwoofer)
Other features and specs:
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X598 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power Output||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||8.2 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
Excelon Series: The KDC-X598 CD receiver is part of Kenwood's Excelon series line-up. It incorporates the latest technologies and delivers the highest sonic performance. From advanced audio tuning capabilities, crossover and equalizer system, high-voltage preouts (4V), plus a two-year warranty - Kenwood Excelon represents exceptional audio quality with long-lasting dependability.
16 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood KDC-X598 utilizes a 16-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood KDC-X598 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the KDC-X598 are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
6ch/4V Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The KDC-X598 features front, rear and subwoofer 4.0-volt preamp outputs. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The Kenwood KDC-X598 offers the following subwoofer controls, when you are using unit's subwoofer preamp output.
- Low Pass Filter: The receiver features a built-in Low Pass Filter control for the preamp-output, when the output is set to Subwoofer. You can select from 85 Hz, 120 Hz, 160 Hz, or off.
- Subwoofer Phase: You can adjust the phase of the subwoofer output between 180-degrees (Reverse) or 0-degrees (Normal).
- Subwoofer Level: Once the Subwoofer preamp output is activated, you can independently control the subwoofer preamp output level (-15 to +15) from the CD receiver.
Front & Rear High-Pass Filter: The KDC-X598 features a High-Pass Crossover for the front & rear channels when your front & rear speakers are connected by the unit's speaker-outputs or preamp-outputs. You can adjust the high-pass crossover from "Through", 100, 120, or 150 Hz. The "Through" selection is a full-range setting.
Speaker Settings: The Speaker Setting function tailors the head unit's audio settings according to the type of speakers in your vehicle. You may select a Speaker Setting of 'SP-Off' (flat/off), 'SP-OEM' (for OEM factory speaker systems), 'SP-6x9/6' (for systems with 6" and 6"x9" speakers), or 'SP-5/4' (for systems with 4" and 5" speakers).
EQ Pro: The KDC-X598 is equipped with Kenwood's EQ Pro. The integrated equalizer offers 8 preset sound modes (Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Natural, Drive EQ, or User) suitable for the music genre of your choice. The Drive EQ mode is an EQ preset that helps reduce road noise. The User mode allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 3-band parametric EQ (Frequency, Level, and Q-Factor).
|Bass||60, 80, 100, 200 Hz||-8 to +8||1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 2.0|
|Midrange||0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 kHz||-8 to +8||0.75, 1.0, 1.25|
|Treble||10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5 kHz||-8 to +8||Fixed|
Note: You can store EQ Pro bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (Disc, Tuner, Aux, USB, iPod, and Pandora/iHeart Radio).
Sound Enhancements: The head unit provides further sound enhancements for your car audio system.
- Bass Boost: The Kenwood CD receiver features a Bass Boost control that can be set to the following levels (BB1, BB2, BB3, or Off).
- Loudness: This function enhances low and high frequencies to make the sound clearer lower volumes. There are 3 levels (LV1, LV2, or Off).
- Sound Reconstruction: When MP3 or WMA files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Sound Reconstruction function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When Sound Reconstruction is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to 0 (-8 to +8 for Aux source).
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Bluetooth Technology: The Kenwood KDC-X598 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (ver. 2.1 + EDR) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), OPP 1.1 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.3 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Kenwood KDC-X598. Visit Kenwood's Support Site for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Secure Simple Pairing (SSP) + Auto Pairing (for iPhone): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Kenwood KDC-X598 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. You can pair up to five Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Kenwood head unit with a maximum of two Bluetooth phones and one Bluetooth audio player connected at one time (but only one can be used at a time). You can even pair your Apple iPhone by simply connecting it to the Kenwood head unit via USB and following a single prompt on the head unit's display.
Hands-Free Communication w/ External Mic: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The controls of the KDC-X598 can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also includes an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering a Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. You can answer the call from the head unit's front-panel controls, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call immediately or after 1-30 seconds. The KDC-X598 also supports the Call Waiting function, so you can answer another incoming call while suspending the current call you are on. Your compatible cell-phone must also support this feature.
- Dialing a Number: Using the KDC-X598, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 32 digits from the head unit's control knob or remote control.
- Speed (Preset) Dialing: Allows you to register up to 6 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's Control Knob.
- Phone Book: You can dial by using the downloaded phone book. You can download phone book data from your cell phone to the KDC-X598. Up to 600 numbers can be stored for each registered cell phone. Each number can be up to 32 digits long and each name can be up to 50 characters long. Stored phone numbers can be categorized by General, Home, Office, Mobile, or Other. You can search each category of the phone book in alphabetical order.
- Call History: The Call History is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls.
- Voice Dialing: If your mobile phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone.
Note: The external wired microphone offers improved audio quality versus an integrated microphone, so you can be heard easier over noisy traffic and road noise. You can adjust the volume level and noise cancellation of the microphone without affecting the other sources. The external microphone features an attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone offers an integrated mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash. The external microphone measures 0.525" (diameter) x 1.505" (depth).
SMS: If your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone is compatible with SMS (Short Message Service), the Kenwood head unit will notify you when a message has been received. You must then use your phone to check the message. You cannot read, edit, or send a message through this unit.
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Metadata Display): The Kenwood KDC-X598 also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The KDC-X598 will be able to control basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music; such as Play/Pause, Skip Next/Previous, Fast Forward/Rewind and Random/Repeat. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title. The KDC-X598 also supports audio streaming of music apps downloaded on your smartphone with metadata display and limited control. Advanced music control of your music apps will still need be done via your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected with an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth (not USB), the Kenwood KDC-BT858 has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply press-and-hold down on the head unit's Answer Button to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the KDC-X598 and its microphone. The head unit's display will only indicate hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Kenwood KDC-X598; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Note: You can ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs. The unit also supports playback of MP3/WMA music files loaded onto CD-R/RW discs. The CD slot is hidden behind a manual fold-up cover which blends in the front-panel of the head unit.
Front-Panel USB Port: The Kenwood KDC-X598 features a front panel USB (type-A) port that is hidden behind a flip-up cover. The USB port enables connection of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. The USB ports support audio playback and control of MP3/WMA/WAV audio files stored on these portable USB mass-storage class devices. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB ports (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: When a mass-storage class (MSC) compatible smartphone is connected to the head unit's USB input, the unit's Drive Change features lets you select its internal memory or external memory (such as an SD card) for stored music playback. The Drive Change feature also lets you switch between multiple memory cards (up to 5) in a USB multi-card reader or multiple USB thumbdrives (up to 5) connected to a USB hub.
MP3/WMA Playback: The Kenwood KDC-X598 supports the following types of MP3, WMA, & WAV files recorded onto CD-R/RW disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||CD-R/RW||USB Storage Device|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, Long file name||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types|| MP3:
bit rate of 8-320 kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48 kHz
WMA: bit rate of 32-192 kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48 kHz
bit rate of 8-320 kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48 kHz
WMA: bit rate of 32-192 kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48 kHz
WAV: bit rate of 16-bit w/ sampling rate of 44.1 kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||500 folders/500 files (500 files per folder)||999 folders/20,480 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver.1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tags|
Text Scroll: The KDC-X598 will display MP3/WMA audio file text. You can set the text scrolling feature to three different modes (Auto, Once, or Off) to scroll longer titles across the screen.
Music Search + Direct Search: The Kenwood CD receiver features a Music Search feature which allows you to scroll through and select your MP3/WMA music folders and files, as well as scroll through your audio CD's music tracks using the head unit's rotary knob. The supplied IR wireless remote control (RC-406) allows you to search for music directly by entering the track number.
Last Position Memory: If the unit is shut off or switched to the tuner mode while a CD is playing, the next time CD is selected as the source, playback will resume from the point where it left off.
CD Read: This function sets the method for reading a CD disc. You can choose between two modes.
- CD1: Automatically distinguishes between audio file disc and music CD when playing a CD or CD-R/RW disc.
- CD2: When unable to play a special formatted CD, set this function to CD2 to force playing. Some music CD discs may be unplayable even when set to this mode.
Off Insert/Eject + Auto Reload: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback. If the ejected disc is not removed within 15 seconds, the disc is automatically inserted again into the loading slot to protect it from dust.
Music Editor Compatible: The Kenwood KDC-X598 supports the PC application, Kenwood Music Editor Lite Kenwood's Music Editor Lit (v1.1.0). Kenwood Music Editor Lite is a Windows-based desktop software that helps organize, manage and transfer MP3/WMA music files to your USB thumbdrive from your PC. When you playback audio files that have been stored on your USB thumbdrive using Kenwood Music Editor Lite through this unit, you can search a file by title, album, or artist name using the head unit's Music Search function. The Kenwood Music Editor Light (v1.1.0) Windows-based software can be downloaded for free from Kenwood's website to your PC. The Kenwood Music Editor Light is compatible with the following Windows Microsoft Operating Systems.
- Windows XP Professional, Home Edition SP2 or later (32-bit)
- Windows Vista (32/64-bit)
- Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
- Windows 8
Note: Not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Zune, or Android
iPod Direct Connection: The Kenwood KDC-X598's front-panel USB port can be used to connect your 30-pin dock connector or Lightning-connector iPod/iPhone to the head unit. The KDC-X598 supports audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of your compatible Apple device.
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: If you have an older iPod/iPhone with a 30-pin dock connector, you can use Kenwood's dock connector-to-USB cable (113KCIP102, sold separately) or the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the KDC-X598.
- Lightning Connector: If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the KDC-X598.
Note: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
iPod Audio Playback w/ DAC Bypass: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music and music apps to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 16-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 110dB. The Kenwood head unit supports audio playback of stored music, podcasts, audiobooks, and music apps on your iPod or iPhone. The KDC-X598 provides music control and song/artist information display.
- Music Control: The Kenwood head unit allows you to navigate your iPod's music by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Composer, Song, or Podcast. You can search these categories alphabetically (A-Z) or using a percentage search (0.5%, 1%, 5%, 10%). The head unit also supports Repeat (file) & Random (folder) playback functions of your connected iPod/iPhone. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ allow you to continue to access your Apple device's touchscreen. Older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Song/Artist Info: The KDC-X598 will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song title, and Album label.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood KDC-X598 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 9/25/2014):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora app||iHeart Link||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Music Control for Android Smartphone: The Kenwood Music Control app for Android organizes your Android smartphone's music, while providing quick and easy search capability from the Kenwood CD receiver. The free Kenwood Music Control App for Android can be downloaded onto your Android smartphone from the Google Play App Store. Your Android smartphone must be running Android OS Froyo or Gingerbread (2.2+). Once the app is downloaded and has a chance to organize all the stored music on your Android smartphone, you can connect your Android smartphone to the Kenwood CD receiver via USB (your compatible Android smartphone must be recognized as a USB mass storage class device; not compatible with MTP protocol). The Kenwood Music Control app offers the following Android supported functions.
- Song Management: Music stored in your Android smartphone can be navigated from the Kenwood CD receiver. Songs can be easily selected by searching for a Song title, Artist name, Album label, or Genre.
- Song Information Display: Song information such as Artist name, Song title, and Album label are displayed on the connected Kenwood CD receiver.
- Mood Playlist: Playlists can be created by classifying songs into categories by type of mood. Songs are analyzed and classified into the following categories of moods - High Energy (Active/Powerful/Core), Acoustic (Detailed/Simple/Smooth/Easy), Standard (Dynamic/Rockin/Vivid), Stylistic (Cool/Urban/Trance)
- Intro Skip: This function allows you to choose and listen to only the hook-lines of songs stored in your Android smartphone.
Note: When the Kenwood Music Control app is first downloaded it will require some time to populate all the music, so we suggest doing this overnight.
Aux In: The unit is equipped with a front panel 3.5mm minijack auxiliary input that can be used to input audio from a portable audio source, such as a portable MP3 player. The Aux input must be turned on to function. The head unit allows you to select the source type displayed when using the auxiliary input. You can choose from AUX, DVD, Portable, Game, Video, or TV. The unit has three aux input modes.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The Kenwood KDC-358U features a built-in RDS AM/FM tuner. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. You can choose one of four tuning methods: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual Tune. The KDC-358U's tuner features 3 FM banks (1, 2, 3) and 1 AM bank for storing presets. The Kenwood KDC-358U offers two preset modes.
- Normal: You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets (total of 24).
- Mix: A total of 6 preset stations can be assigned to the head unit's 6 preset buttons, regardless of AM/FM band. This lets you recall a preset station without switching between bands.
Note: Not only does the CD receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling.
Internet Radio Apps: The Kenwood KDC-X598 allows you to access Pandora and iHeartRadio online music services through your USB-connected iPhone or Bluetooth-connected Android/Blackberry smartphone. Your Apple iPhone must be connected to the KDC-X598 via the Kenwood KCA-iP102 cable (sold separately, or the cable supplied with your iPhone. Your Android or Blackberry smartphone must support A2DP/ AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the Kenwood KDC-X598. Your iPhone, Android smartphone, or Blackberry device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi.
- Pandora App (for iPhone/Android/Blackberry): The free Pandora App (either from iTunes Apps, Google Play, or BlackBerry App World) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Kenwood KDC-X598 using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) or Bluetooth paired Android/Blackberry smartphone. The Kenwood KDC-X598 provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your station list and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also save 5 Pandora stations as presets. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down. An active Pandora account is required.
- iHeartRadio Link (for iPhone/Android): The free iHeartRadio Link app for Kenwood (either from iTunes Apps or Google Play) lets you play music from the iHeartRadio music service through the Kenwood KDC-X598 using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+), or Bluetooth paired Android smartphone (2.2+). The iHeartRadio music service provides access to more than 1,500 live radio stations from coast-to-coast (including pop, country, urban, rock, talk, and sports). The KDC-X598 will provide control over the iHeartRadio Link app, as well as display station identification and song/artist information. From the head unit's front-panel controls, iHeartRadio stations can be searched by the following categories (Local, Genre, City, or My Stations). The Local selection provides a list of radio stations in your local listening area. The unit also provides over 22 Genres to choose from (including pop, country, hip-hop, jazz, etc.) to help you find the right radio station for you. In addition, you can search for radio stations by City. Cities can be searched alphabetically (A-Z). You can even store your favorite stations (My Stations) for easier, quicker access. An active iHeartRadio account is required.
Note: Access to these Internet Radio services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android/Blackberry smartphone to connect to the Internet. Not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM Ready: The Kenwood KDC-X598 comes ready for SiriusXM programming with access to XM and Sirius Satellite Radio stations. Thanks to its proprietary SiriusXM Connect port, you can add the optional SXV200V1 SiriusXM Connect tuner and receive more than 150 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM, via the "SiriusXM All Access" package (subscription required). Visit SiriusXM.com for a complete list of subscription options and channel guide. Additional features of the SXV200 SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel List w/ Category Search: The Channel list displays a list of all available channels. You can also search and list channels in specific categories. In addition, you can register channels you want to skip.
- Song/Artist Information: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD.
- Presets & Direct Tuning: Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets can be stored. You can also tune to a station directly via the numeric keypad on the included remote.
- Replay w/ Smart Favorites: Supports the SiriusXM Instant Replay function, so you can pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of current channel. You can also store six of your favorite channels that will automatically be buffered in the background, so when you select one of the Smart Favorite channels, you'll be able to rewind and replay the last 30 minutes of content.
- Parental Control: The SiriusXM Parental Control feature allows you to control access to channels that you consider inappropriate for younger listeners. When enabled, The Parental Control feature requires you to enter a 4-digit passcode to tune to the locked channels.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Detachable Face w/ Hidden CD Slot: The Kenwood KDC-X598 features a hidden CD slot behind a manual flip-up cover which blends into the front-panel of the head unit. The KDC-X598 also features a detachable face to deter theft (no face case provided). An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
Variable Color Illumination: The Kenwood KDC-X598 features variable color display and button illumination. You can choose from one of 24 preset colors, have the unit scan through all 24 preset colors continuously, or customize your own color (RGB; 0-9). The custom setting allows you to individually adjust the intensity of Red, Green, and Blue (from 0-9) to better match your vehicle's interior lights. The same color setting is applied to both the display and buttons. The Kenwood logo and eject button remain red.
Brightness & Dimmer: You can dim the LCD and button illumination to better suit the time of day. You can adjust the maximum brightness of the LCD and button illumination from 0-31. The Kenwood logo and eject button do not dim.
12Hr/24Hr Clock: The head unit can be set to display a 12hr or 24hr clock. The unit also displays the day (Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, or Sat). With your vehicle's key in the accessory or start position, the head unit continues to display the clock and button illumination during Standby mode. Pressing and holding the source button turns the unit off completely.
Demo Mode: This unit features a Demo mode which can be turned On or Off within the menu.
Wireless Remote Control: The KDC-X598 comes with an IR remote control (RC-406) for wireless operation of the head unit. The remote will control Audio, CD, USB, and Tuner functions. It is powered by a single CR2025 3V lithium-cell battery (supplied).
- Numeric Keypad: The wireless remote control features a numeric keypad (0-9) which allows direct track access of your music tracks & files (from CD or USB), as well as AM/FM presets.
- Attenuator: The CD receiver features an Attenuator button on the supplied remote control that turns the volume down very quickly with one touch of the button.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Note: The KDC-X598 is not compatible with PAC's SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
9 questions already asked
It's built in [ RON Jan 22, 2015 ]
Yes, the siriusxm sxv200v tuner. [ CAMERON Jan 09, 2015 ]
1 answer Hello, I have a 01 vr6 jetta that i bought a couple months ago. The car came with an aftermarket alpine head unit, but the unit is extremely outdated (it has a tape player). However the wiring was well done behind the head unit. My question is can i plug the harness from the alpine into my kenwood unit, or would i have to recrimp a new harness due to incompatibility? thnx [ Matt Fisher Dec 09, 2014 ]
Hi Matt. Unfortunately the harness from the old head unit won't match up. You need to crimp in the new harness that comes with the receiver. [ Jeff Dec 09, 2014 ] Staff
An android phone does not charge when connected to the usb port. [ DONALD Dec 03, 2014 ]
Yes. So does my wife's At&T phone and my Amazon Kindel. [ ROBERT Nov 26, 2014 ]
My iphone charges when connected to the usb port of my Kenwood, i dont own an android, but dont see why that would be different. [ RUSSELL Nov 26, 2014 ]
No clue about android phone compatibility but the text is impossible to read in any form of daylight, independent of the color of text chosen. Frustratingly, the color of white that the text appears in when in the menu is very legible, even in the daytime but there's no option for selecting this color. The "features" are completely non intuitive and require carrying around the owner's manual to make even small adjustments. Very poor design overall. [ KARL Nov 25, 2014 ]
Yes an android phone charges while connected to the usb. But it does not charge as quick like when you use the wall charger. I have a Samsung S4 and when I used the navigation app on my phone when connected to the usb it actually lost battery life. So it does okay if you are not using your phone while it's charging from the usb. [ JUDITH Nov 25, 2014 ]
Yes it does. [ KEN Nov 25, 2014 ]
I've got an iPhone, and it charges when connected to the USB. most all USB's have voltage to them so i'm sure an android would charge as well. [ GARY B Nov 25, 2014 ]
Yes it does charge. [ JASON VAN Nov 25, 2014 ]
Yes.... Any phone connected to the USB port will charge. [ JASON Nov 25, 2014 ]
1 answer I have an older model Sirius tuner (KRC-902). Cable does not match up with the plug on the back of the KDC-X958. Is there an adapter or a stand alone interface I can purchase? Simply replacing the tuner will require me to change my lifetime subscription to Sirius/XM which I want to avoid. [ CJRees Nov 03, 2014 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Nov 04, 2014 ] Staff
The unit does not have a battery or power source. Barry [ BARRY Oct 30, 2014 ]
No. [ MICHAEL Oct 30, 2014 ]
No [ CAMERON Oct 30, 2014 ]
Power source. [ THOMAS J Oct 30, 2014 ]
Yes [ Daniel Dec 13, 2015 ]
Sorry, I don't have an iphone. [ GARY S Sep 30, 2014 ]
Yes [ TIMOTHY Sep 30, 2014 ]
Yes it does , you have the option of just the artist or the song [ PAUL Sep 04, 2014 ]
It does display song and artist info-CD, Bluetooth, haven't been able to test the radio as my local stations don't air that info, [ CHRISTINA Jul 10, 2014 ]
Yes it does [ PHILLIP Jul 08, 2014 ]
It does [ KERRY Jul 08, 2014 ]
This product shows the station name and artist/song for xm and radio. It doesn't show the name when streaming audio with Bluetooth or cd. [ Ashley Jul 08, 2014 ]
music and phone [ JESSE P Jun 13, 2014 ]
I believe it has built in Bluetooth [ MARK Jun 13, 2014 ]
I believe it has built in Bluetooth [ MARK Jun 13, 2014 ]
It plays music also. I have two Excelon units , and the adjustability of the units really help my sound even with factory speakers. [ Michael Jun 13, 2014 ]
It streams Bluetooth music from any source including the phone. Mine works great! [ Ricky Jun 12, 2014 ]
I have an iPhone 5 with about 300 songs on it, and this unit does indeed play music from my phone via the Bluetooth connection. I don't even have to take my phone out of my holster! When I get in the car, all I have to do is press one button on the unit (or the remote control) to turn the Kenwood on; within 20 seconds or so, my phone is automatically connected via Bluetooth. Included among your choices for audio input, such as Tuner or CD, is BT Audio, and if you choose that input and press the Play button, music from your phone will play through your car stereo. NOTE: It took me a week or so to discover all of the "details" needed to make that happen! First, you must pair your phone with the unit via Bluetooth so that they "know" one another. Also, the default setting for Bluetooth audio is to send the music through only the front speakers, so you must change that to send music through all speakers, assuming you have both front and rear speakers. All of the directions and information needed are in the owner's manual, so you will need to refer to those instructions. If someone calls you on your phone, the music will mute and you will hear the caller announced - pressing one button will accept the call; you will hear the phone audio through the car speakers and your voice will be picked up by the microphone (included with the Kenwood unit) that you will have mounted somewhere near your steering wheel or dash. If you wish to make a call while listening to music, you press that same button and the music mutes while the display shows "VOICE CONTROL", and you can simply say "Call John Doe on mobile" or "Call Mom at home". You MUST attach that microphone during installation and must use it in order for the caller to hear your voice! I did not realize that until after the unit was installed and had to pull it out and install the microphone afterwards - a little bit of a pain that could have been avoided by doing it with the initial installation. Good luck and enjoy! [ JAMES E Jun 12, 2014 ]
I have used the bluetooth to play music or stream music off of my phone. It also has a Pandora option, too. But I have not tried another device that has bluetooth...however, I would imagine that as long as you can connect to the radio's bluetooth (which is easy to do with my phone) you should be able to play! [ KARENA Jun 12, 2014 ]
It's not hard to do at all. Remove the trim from around the door and run your microphone behind it. Its a simple install. [ ANTONIO May 05, 2014 ]
Yes we installed the mic to be honest it wasn't that hard but i really dont like it but as far as the question of hooking it up its fairly easy [ JOANN May 02, 2014 ]
I mounted mine on the interior trim around the windshield. I simply ran the wire up the pillar that the windshield mounts to and ticked it under the plastic trim and under the headliner. I did not try the internal mic as I wasn't aware there was one. [ NEIL C May 01, 2014 ]
I recently purchased and had the unit installed at a local stereo shop for 40.00. As i watched them install the external mic, it appears very easy, just remove the plastic section of the support, run the wire underneath and clip the mic to the top. The past kenwood stereo had only an integrated mic and this new one with the external mic works WAY better. I would highly recommend use the external mic [ JOHN May 01, 2014 ]
At first, I did not install the external mic. However, when my iPhone 5 was connected via Bluetooth with the head unit and I made a phone call, the other party could not hear me. When I contacted Kenwood about that, I was informed that the external mic needed to be connected, which I did, and it has worked perfectly since then. The installation was relatively easy - pull out the head unit, run the mic cord up behind the dash into the opening, plug into the back of the unit, then hide the cord and use the adhesive pad to mount the mic. I placed the mic on the top of the steering column and it had worked fine. I was not aware that the head unit has an integrated mic? Does it? If so, it did not work very well with my initial set-up. [ JAMES E Apr 30, 2014 ]
I installed mine right in front of my gauge cluster. It wasn't hard to install, and I don't beleive the stereo has an internal mic. I could be wrong though. [ ALAN Apr 30, 2014 ]
I have installed two of these head units and both times I installed the mics. So I cant say if the internal mic works well. Honestly I didnt know it had an internal mic. One was instslled in an 07 kia sorento pretty easy. The other in a 02 dodge ram not easy and no good place in the pillar to install so I put it on the outside of the instrument cluster. Back in the corner so you couldnt see it. Both times I checked on line to see how the dashes came apart. Hope this helps. [ JESSE Apr 30, 2014 ]
We installed the BT mic next to the steering wheel with little effort. We ran it straight from the head unit behind the steering cover. It works great, we just had to adjust the sensitivity down thru the head unit to alleviate some distortion. [ MICHAEL Apr 30, 2014 ]
Matthew, it was incredibly easy and works well. I mounted it right by the rearview mirror. I looked at a YouTube video and it was no problem at all 15 minutes at most. [ THOMAS J Apr 30, 2014 ]