Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895
CD receiver (New Stock)
Our take on the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
You want a stereo that blows away most others, a receiver that appeals to your discerning ear and your love of the latest technology. The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 CD receiver will impress you with its superb sound quality, and it's chock-full of features that'll make driving safer and more entertaining. Plus, the Excelon extended warranty protects your investment for two full years.
Hands-free calling and more
The KDC-X895's built-in Bluetooth® offers the safety and convenience of hands-free calling. No fumbling for a phone — when a call comes in, you can talk naturally and hear your caller over your speakers — like they're sitting next to you.
Aux, USB, and iPod®
You can plug your iPod or iPhone® into the USB input and take charge from the receiver, scrolling through your albums, artists, playlists and more. Kenwood adds even more functionality with Direct Search — enter the first three letters of an artist, tune, or album to quickly narrow your search. Or jump into Alphabet Search to get close to what you're looking for right away. The front panel auxiliary input lets you plug in almost any audio device, and the front panel USB is perfect for thumbdrives loaded with music files.
Log it and remember
Got some favorite songs, or radio stations? The Log Key stores the last 15 stations, phone numbers, songs, or functions you've visited — perfect for when you need to get right back to where you started or play that favorite song again and again.
It's all about the sound
Kenwood makes sure that there are no weak links in the audio chain. A 24-bit digital-to-analog converter translates your CDs and music files with unerring precision, so that the built-in amp can send a powerful, clean signal to your speakers. If you're the kind of person who lives for more power, the three sets of preamp outputs send a low-noise, high-voltage signal to your outboard amps. And you'll also find the audio tools you need to get things right in your car, including a 3-band parametric equalizer, built-in frequency filters, and more.
Even more options
Connect a satellite radio tuner to the KDC-X895, and enjoy the mix of news, sports, entertainment, and commercial-free music. Kenwood's HD Radio™ tuner lets you access the superior fidelity and extra programming offered by participating stations in your area.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Kenwood stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and this Kenwood, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. Check the "Accessories" tab for compatible adapters.
Note: Bluetooth compatibility with this receiver may vary, depending on your phone and service provider.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
for the price and all the features in this stereo, i am glad i purchased it. very pleased with the the build features, sound quality and power it has. works very well with all other products i have purchased from crutchfield. thanks for the great products and support you have always provided.
andy g, corpus christi,texas
What's in the Box:
- AM/FM CD receiver (with 10-amp fuse inserted into the chassis)
- Sleeve (attached)
- Face (attached)
- Trim ring (attached)
- Wiring harness
- RC-405 Wireless remote control (with CR2025 3V lithium-battery installed)
- Microphone with integrated bracket (and attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector)
- Face pouch
- 2 Removal tools
- 4 Panhead ISO-mount screws
- 4 Flathead ISO-mount screws
- Face-fixing screw
- Quick Start Guide (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Warranty Card
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA and AAC files
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling
- detachable face with 3-line variable-color LCD display
- wireless remote control
- 3-band parametric equalizer, plus 8 preset EQ curves
- high-pass filters (speaker and preamp outputs), low-pass filter (sub preamp output)
- speaker settings that let you tailor the sound to the size and location of speakers in your car
- 24-bit DAC
- iPod direct control via USB input no adapter necessary, but adding Kenwood's optional cable lets you leave your iPod cable at home
- compatible with optional satellite radio and HD Radio tuners
- inputs: front panel auxiliary and USB inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||Front and Optional Rear|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|RMS Power Output||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||11.2 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
Detachable Face: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 features a single front loading CD face that detaches from the chassis to deter theft. The head unit includes a cloth pouch for storing the face-plate when detached. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
Note: An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can also be purchased for this unit.
Variable Color Illumination: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-895 features variable color display and button illumination. You can choose from one of 24 preset colors, have the unit scan through all 25 preset colors continuously, or customize your own color (1-24: 0-9). The display, button illumination, and USB/Auxiliary input can be set to the same color or set independently.
Note: You can switch the in-dash head unit's display between a positive or negative effect. You can also adjust the display's contrast from 1-30.
Display Types: The KDC-X895 offers five different display types:
- Type A: Displays 3 lines of text.
- Type B: Display 2 lines of text.
- Type C: Displays only the 12-hour clock and date.
- Type D: Displays the spectrum analyzer.
- Type E: Display is turned off.
Note: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 offers English, French, and Spanish menu text.
Illumination Effects: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 offers two unique key-button illumination effects.
- Illumination Operation Sync: This function sets whether the head unit's key illumination color is changed in conjunction with the key-button operation.
- Illumination Music Sync: This function set whether the head unit's key illumination color is changed in conjunction with the system's sound & volume level.
Dimmer: The dimmer function will dim this unit's display automatically when the vehicle light switch is turned On when you connect orange/white Illumination wire of this player. You can also choose to dim the display manually.
Clock/Date Display: The in-dash CD receiver features a 12-hour clock and date (M/D/Y) display. You can even set times for two different cities (dual clock display).
Display Illumination/Clock Display: When the unit is in Standby mode, the face/button illumination is "keyed." In addition, while the unit is in Standby mode, you can turn the clock display on or off. When the Clock Display is turned on and the unit is in Standby mode, the Clock Display is also "keyed." Pressing and holding the source button turns the unit off completely.
Log Function: This unit automatically memorizes previously used functions and function settings, which can then be easily recalled from a list. A maximum of 15 recently used functions are logged automatically. When this limit is reached, the memorized functions are deleted from the oldest to newest. You can select which functions are logged from the following list - Tuner, CD, iPod, USB, Phone, Settings.
Note: You can lock the memory log function to prevent memorized functions from being deleted from the list.
Demo Mode: This unit features a Demo mode which can be turned "on" or "off" within the menu.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior CD sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the KDC-X895 are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
Rotary Volume Control: The CD receiver uses a 7-way rotary volume control that increases and decreases the volume of the stereo from 0 to 35. The rotary knob also controls other audio settings such as Balance, Fader, Bass, Mid, Treble and preset EQ settings. In addition, the rotary knob allows you to scroll through and select your music tracks when the Music Search function is activated.
Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to 0 (-8 to +8 for Aux source).
Supreme Setting: When MP3, WMA, and AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Supreme Setting function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When the Supreme Setting is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
Speaker Settings: The Speaker Setting function tailors the System Q Sound Control settings according to the type of speakers in your vehicle. You may select a Speaker Setting of "SP Off" (flat), "SP OEM" (for OEM factory speaker systems), "SP 6x9/6" (for systems with 6" and 6"x9" speakers), or "SP 5/4" (for systems with 4" and 5" speakers).
System Q Sound Control: Eight EQ curves are preset into memory, allowing you to recall the best preset EQ curve for different types of music. Each preset has its own level settings for bass (100Hz), midrange (1kHz), and treble (12.5kHz). You can choose from the following preset EQ curves - Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Natural, Game, and User.
Detail Audio Control: The Excelon KDC-X895 features independent Bass, Treble and Midrange control when the System Q Sound Control is in User mode. The Detail Audio Control allows you to adjust the following settings for the Bass, Treble and Mid frequency levels.
|3-Band EQ||Detailed Audio Settings|
|Center Frequency||Q-Factor||Bass Extension||Level|
|Bass||40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 100, 120, or 150 Hz||1.00, 1.25, 1.50, or 2.00||On/Off||-8 to +8|
|Midrange||0.5k, 1.0k, 1.5k, or 2.0k Hz||1.00 or 2.00||N/A|
|Treble||10.0k, 12.5k, 15.0k, or17.5k Hz||N/A||N/A|
Bass Boost: The Kenwood CD receiver also features a Bass Boost control that can be set to the following levels - LV1, LV2 or Off.
Source Tone Memory: This feature allows you to store System Q bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (CD, Tuner, Aux, and USB).
6ch/4V Preamp Outputs: The KDC-X895 features front, rear and subwoofer 4-volt preamp outputs. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs are fixed to the rear chassis of the head unit.
Note: You can turn the KDC-X895's built-in amplifier off to improve the quality of the sound from the head unit's preamp outputs.
Front & Rear High-Pass Filter: The KDC-X895 features an independent High-Pass Crossover for the front & rear channels when your front & rear speakers are connected by the unit's speaker-outputs or preamp-outputs. You can adjust the high-pass crossover from "Through", 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, or 180, 220Hz. The "Through" selection is a full-range setting. This feature is very helpful when you have smaller-type speakers in the front and larger-type speakers installed in the rear of the vehicle.
Subwoofer Controls: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 provides the following subwoofer preamp output controls.
- Low-Pass Filter: The receiver features a built-in Low Pass Filter control for the unit's subwoofer preamp output. You can select from 50, 60, 80, 100, 120Hz, or "Through". The "Through" setting allows your external amplifier's crossover network to do all the filtering for your subwoofer.
- Subwoofer Phase: You can adjust the phase of the subwoofer output between 180-degrees (Reverse) or 0-degrees (Normal).
- Subwoofer Level: You can independently control the subwoofer preamp output level from the CD receiver. You select levels between -15 to +15.
Audio Preset: You can register a single Audio Preset into the head unit's memory to be recalled at any time for all sources. The Audio Preset memory can save Bass, Treble, Midrange, Subwoofer, and High-Pass/Low-Pass Crossover settings.
Note: When you recall the saved Audio Preset, all the sources will be the setting value which is registered.
Dual Zone: The Dual Zone mode allows you to output the Main source and the Auxiliary input separately for the front and rear channels. You can select whether the auxiliary input will play in the front or the rear. You can adjust the volume of the rear channels independently from the front channels (0-35).
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
AM/FM Tuner: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 features a built-in AM/FM tuner. You can choose one of three tuning modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual.
RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
Tuner Presets: The Excelon KDC-X895's tuner provides two ways to store your favorite radio stations.
- Normal Presets: You can store up to 18 FM presets (01-18) and 6 AM presets (01-06).
- Mixed Presets: In this mode, different bands and turner sources can be saved in the same preset layer, which allows you to recall the desired stations without switching the bands or tuner sources. You can store a mixture of 6 AM/FM, HD Radio, and Satellite Radio presets of any combination.
Note: This unit does not offer direct preset buttons. Instead, you will need to access the unit's presets using the Control Knob.
Auto Memory Tuning: Not only does the CD receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put AM/FM stations with good reception into memory automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling.
Direct Access Tuning: You can directly access an AM/FM station by entering in the frequency number using the include wireless remote control.
Mono Mode: This feature reduces the noise (static) when a stereo broadcast is received as monaural (for FM band only).
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional XM or SIRIUS Satellite Radio receiver to this receiver:
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SIRIUS Universal Vehicle Tuner and the optional Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio Interface (package # 700SIRKENW, sold separately); or you can connect the optional Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio Interface and the SiriusConnect vehicle docking kit (package # 700SIRPKEN, sold separately), along with your compatible SIRIUS Dock & Play receiver.
- XM Satellite Radio: To receive XM Satellite Radio
connect the optional CNP2000UCA XM Tuner and the CNP-KEN1 Kenwood adapter
cable (package item number
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
HD Radio Ready (with iTunes Tagging): With an optional Kenwood HD Radio tuner (113HR300, sold separately), you will be able to receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. This new technology will significantly improve audio quality and reception, as well as include information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. The Kenwood KTC-HR300 HD Radio tuner(113HR300) is also capable of iTunes tagging. iTunes tagging gives you the ability to tag a song (up to 50) and stores it to a connected iPod. The next time your iPod is connected to iTunes, the tagged songs are displayed with the option to purchase them from the iTunes Store.
Note: You cannot connect both a Satellite Radio Interface and HD Radio tuner to the head unit.
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio, CD-Text, and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: The Excelon KDC-X895 can play MP3 (8-320 kbps), WMA (32-192 kbps), and AAC (8-320 kbps) audio files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R, and CD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, and Long file name formats. Each disc should have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 50 folders, and 255 files per folder with a maximum of 512 files and folders. During MP3/WMA/AAC playback, the unit displays recorded ID3 Tag (ver. 1.x/2.x) information. The head unit will display up to 60 characters.
Text Scroll: The Excelon KDC-X895 will display CD text or Audio file text. You can set the text scrolling feature to two different modes (Auto or Manual) to scroll longer titles across the screen.
Music Search: The Kenwood AM/FM CD receiver features a Music Search feature which allows you to scroll through and select your MP3/WMA/AAC music folders and files, as well as scroll through your audio CD's music tracks using the head unit's rotary knob.
Direct Music Search: The supplied IR wireless remote control (RC-405) allows you to search for music directly by entering the track number.
Playback Modes: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 features the following Repeat, Random, and Scan playback modes.
- Repeat Play: Track, File, or Folder
- Random Play: Disc or Folder
- Scan Play: Track or File (plays the first 10-seconds of each music track on a disc or music file in a folder)
Last Position Memory: If the unit is shut off or switched to the tuner mode while a CD is playing, the next time CD is selected as the source, playback will resume from the point where it left off.
CD Read: This function sets the method for reading a CD disc. You can choose between two modes.
- CD1: Automatically distinguishes between audio file disc and music CD when playing a CD, CD-R/RW disc.
- CD2: When unable to play a special formatted CD, set this function to CD2 to force playing. Some music CD discs may be unplayable even when set to this mode.
Off Insert/Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback.
Auto Insert: The CD player will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
Changer Controls: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 offers connection and control of Kenwood's 10-disc CD-changer (113KDCC719, sold separately).
USB Port: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 features a front-panel USB (1.1/2.0) type-A port that is hidden behind a sliding cover. The USB port enables connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class device with MP3 (8-320 kbps), WMA (32-192 kbps), and AAC (8-320 kbps) music files. The USB port is compatible with all USB mass storage class devices that support the FAT16 or FAT32 file system. Your USB device should only have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 255 folders, and 255 files per folder with a maximum of 65,025 files and folders. During MP3/WMA/AAC playback, the unit displays recorded ID3 Tag (ver. 1.x/2.x) information. The head unit will display up to 60 characters. The KDC-X895 will also charge your connected USB device's battery, when the head unit is powered up.
Note: You cannot connect a USB device via a USB hub or Multi-Card Reader to this unit.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connection: The Excelon KDC-X895's front-panel USB port also acts as an iPod/iPhone high-speed direct connection when used with the optional Kenwood USB Direct Connection Cable (113KCIP102, sold separately) or the USB/iPod cable that comes with your iPod/iPhone. Using either cable allows audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhone models from the KDC-X895.
iPod/iPhone Audio Playback: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's large music libraries to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 110dB. The Kenwood head unit supports audio playback of music files and podcasts stored on your iPod or iPhone.
iPod/iPhone Control: You can choose to control the iPod/iPhone from the head unit or from your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen.
- Music Browsing: The Kenwood head unit allows you to navigate your iPod's music by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Composer, Song, or Podcast. You can then search these categories alphabetically or using a percentage search (0.5%, 1%, 5%, 10%).
- Playlists: You can create your own custom iPod/iPhone playlist (up to 10 songs) from the head unit.
- Related Search: You can browse for music of the same artist or
genre as the one being currently played. You can select between the
following Related Search modes.
- Search Artist: displays albums of the same artist
- Search Album: display music in the album in which the one being played is included
- Search Genre: displays artists of the same genre
- Search Composter: displays albums including music created by the same composer
- Repeat & Random: The head unit supports Repeat (file) & Random (all/folder) playback functions of your connected iPod/iPhone.
iPod/iPhone Display: The Excelon KDC-X895 will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information when you are controlling your iPod or iPhone from the Kenwood head unit. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song title, and Album label. If you choose to operate your connected iPod/iPhone via its clickwheel or touchscreen controls, the KDC-X895 will not display your iPod/iPhone's music information (the head unit will instead display iPod MODE).
iPod/iPhone Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone.
Note: If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of November 2011):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until a newer software update is available.
Aux In: The unit is equipped with a front panel 3.5mm minijack auxiliary input that can be used to input audio from a portable audio source, such as a portable MP3 player. The Excelon KDC-X895 allows you to select the source type displayed when using the auxiliary input. You can choose from AUX, DVD, Portable, Game, Video, or TV. The Aux input must be turned on to function. The unit has 3 auxiliary input modes.
- On1: Outputs the sound of the external unit connected to the Aux terminal when switched to the Aux source.
- On2: Activates the attenuator function when turning on the power with the auxiliary source selected. This prevents the noise when no external unit is connected to the Aux terminal. Turn off the attenuator function when listening to output from an external unit.
- Off: Disables the selection of the Aux source.
Rear Auxiliary Input "Ready": The unit already features a front panel auxiliary input, but if you need a second auxiliary input, one can be added to the rear of the unit. When used with an optional adapter, this unit can accept a rear input from an auxiliary source. When the CA-C1AUX adapter (113CAC1AX, sold separately) is used, you cannot connect an optional HD/Satellite Radio tuner to the head unit because the adapter plugs into the DIN changer control connection on the head unit.
Bluetooth Technology: Bluetooth is a two-way wireless communication system allowing you to make and receive cell phone calls wirelessly from your mobile phone, using the Kenwood in-dash CD receiver. Bluetooth wireless technology operates on a 2.4GHZ frequency band within a range of approximately 10 meters (about 33 feet).
Bluetooth Profiles: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 CD-Receiver features built-in 2.4GHz Bluetooth technology (version 2.0) powered by Parrot. The KDC-X895 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication. The KDC-X895 supports the following Bluetooth profiles:
- HFP (Hands-Free Profile): Hands-free communication with your Bluetooth enabled cellular phone in the vehicle (incoming/outgoing calls supported).
- HSP (Headset Profile): Provides support for Bluetooth headsets to be used with mobile phones.
- OPP (Object Push Profile): Phonebook transfer from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone to the head unit.
- PBAP (Phone Book Access Profile): Phonebook access from your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone to the head unit.
- SPP (Serial Port Profile): SPP defines how to set up virtual serial ports and connect two Bluetooth enabled devices.
- SYNC (Synchronization Profile): The SYNC profile enables synchronization of data information between Bluetooth enabled devices.
Note: This unit does not support Bluetooth audio music streaming.
Bluetooth Hands-Free Communication: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The controls of the KDC-X895 can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also includes an external microphone (with mounting bracket) featuring adjustable gain, so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers.
Pairing: Your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone must be paired with the KDC-X895 before hands-free operation. You can register up to five Bluetooth enabled cell-phones with the Kenwood Excelon head unit (only one paired phone can be used at a time).
Note: Not all Bluetooth mobile phones will be compatible. Visit Kenwood's website for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Auto Answer: The KDC-X895 can be setup to automatically answer an incoming call. You can have the head unit automatically answer a call immediately or after 1-99 seconds.
Dialing: Using the KDC-X895, you can dial a phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 25 digits from the head unit's control knob or remote control.
- Speed (Preset) Dialing: Allows you to register up to 6 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's Control Knob.
- Phone Book: You can dial by using the downloaded phone book. You can download phone book data from your cell phone to the KDC-X895. Up to 1000 numbers can be stored for each registered cell phone. Each number can be up to 25 digits long and each name can be up to 50 characters long. Stored phone numbers can be categorized by General, Home, Office, Mobile, or Other. You can search each category of the phone book in alphabetical order.
- Call Log: The Call Log is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls.
- Voice Dialing: If your mobile phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone. You can register up to 35 voice tags.
Call Waiting: The KDC-X895 supports the Call Waiting function, so you can answer another incoming call while suspending the current call you are on. Your compatible cell-phone must also support this feature.
SMS: You can wirelessly download the short message (SMS) arrived at your cell-phone so that is can be read on the Bluetooth connected Kenwood head unit. Your cell-phone must support SMS for this feature to function. The SMS downloaded to this unit is cleared when this unit is turned off.
Note: You cannot send text messages using this unit (read only).
Private/Hands-Free Mode: During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
External Microphone: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 includes an external microphone to carry on your side of your phone conversation and voice command dialing. The external wired microphone offers improved audio quality versus an integrated microphone, so you can be heard easier over noisy traffic and road noise. The external microphone features an attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone offers an integrated mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash. The external microphone measures 0.515" (diameter) x 1.485" (depth).
Note: This unit does not offer an integrated front-panel microphone.
Bluetooth Detailed Settings: The KDC-X895 offers the following Bluetooth Detailed Settings, so you can configure the unit to suit your needs.
- Call Beep: You can choose to output a beep from your vehicle's speaker's when a call comes in, or you can turn this function off.
- Speaker Output: You can select whether the call beep and caller's voice is heard through only the front speakers or all speakers.
- Mic Gain: Adjusts the volume of the external microphone from -3 to +3.
- NR Level: Reduces the noises generated by the surrounding environment without changing the mic volume. The NR Level can be set to -2 or +2.
- EC Level: Adjusts the level of echo cancellation from -2 to +2.
Wireless Remote Control: The Excelon KDC-X895 comes with an IR remote control (RC-405) for wireless operation of the head unit. The remote will control Audio, CD, USB, and Tuner functions. It is powered by a single CR2025 3V lithium-cell battery (supplied).
- Numeric Keypad: The wireless remote control features a numeric keypad (0-9) which allows direct track access of your music tracks & files (from CD or USB), as well as AM/FM presets.
- Attenuator: The CD receiver features an Attenuator button on the supplied remote control that turns the volume down very quickly with one touch of the button.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit also features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with the optional PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (541SWIRC, sold separately); or the optional Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (120ASWC, sold separately).
Note: Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Music Editor Compatible: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X895 supports the PC application, Kenwood Music Editor Lite (ver.1.1). Kenwood Music Editor Lite is a Windows-based desktop software that helps organize, manage and transfer MP3 and WMA music files to your USB devices from your PC. When you playback audio files that have been stored on your USB device using Kenwood Music Editor Lite through this unit, you can search a file by title, album, or artist name using the head unit's Music Search function.
System Requirements: The Kenwood Music Editor Light (ver.1.1) Windows-based software can be downloaded for free from Kenwood.com to your PC. The Kenwood Music Editor Light is compatible with the following Windows Microsoft Operating Systems.
- Windows XP Professional, Home Edition SP2 or later (32-bit)
- Windows Vista (32/64-bit)
- Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.