Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Kenwood KOS-A200 External Media Controller
Add Kenwood gear to your car's factory stereo
Our take on the Kenwood KOS-A200 External Media Controller by Crutchfield's Robert Ferency-Viars
As the stereo systems in new cars get more complex and offer more options, it gets more and more difficult to upgrade to a brand-name stereo. Kenwood's KOS-A200 External Media Controller lets you enjoy the variety of entertainment options Kenwood offers, without replacing your factory stereo. It features an array of inputs that let you integrate a variety of sources into your factory system, so you can enjoy the entertainment options offered by Kenwood systems, yet maintain the familiar layout of your factory system.
Just connect this interface to your radio via the car's antenna input and supply it with power and ground. You get two auxiliary audio inputs for portable music players and other audio sources, plus a USB input, which lets you connect MP3 players, thumb drives, and other devices with USB outputs. You also get an input for accessories that usually only work with Kenwood in-dash stereos, including a SIRIUS or XM satellite radio, iPod® interface, CD changer, or HD Radio tuner.
If you have an RDS-compatible factory stereo that can display text info, then you'll see artist, album, and song name from your satellite radio, HD Radio tuner, or iPod on your stereo's display. You control the KOS-A200 and your Kenwood components with the included remote.
This interface also works directly with Kenwood car stereos, using a direct BUS connection rather than the FM antenna connection. You can use it to add up to four sources to your Kenwood stereo.
The unit works great in my 2004 Navigator. Installation was simple, and the interface is very easy to navigate. Very impressed.
hawthroned, DC Metro
What's in the Box:
- External media controller with attached 8' antenna-out cable (male motorola connector on end) and attached 8' antenna-in cable (female motorola connector on end)
- RC-537 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 8' Power harness with 4-pin plug on one end and bare wire on other end
- 3' USB cable with female USB connector on one end and a male USB connector on the other end
- Remote control IR switch with attached 18' cord (right angle mini-jack on one end)
- Metal bracket and machine screw for USB connection
- Two 0.75" self-tapping screws
- 1" x 3" Velcro strip
- Instructions manual
- Warranty Card booklet
- Notes sheet
- External Media Controller lets you add Kenwood gear to your factory stereo
- connects to your stereo via the FM antenna connection
- two auxiliary inputs
- USB input
- compatible with Kenwood's iPod adapter, HD Radio tuner, and CD changer
- satellite radio-ready (subscription required)
- song text shows up on RDS-compatible radio displays
- wireless remote
- directly compatible with most Kenwood car stereos
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Kenwood KOS-A200 External Media Controller Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: The Kenwood KOS-A200 is an external Media Controller with RDS encoding that can be hooked up to your RDS enabled factory radio via the built in FM transmitter. The unit's various inputs allow you to listen to different sources on your factory radio that you were unable to before.
Radio Compatibility: The KOS-A200 can be installed to many RDS enabled factory and aftermarket decks by using the built in FM transmitter. The unit has an antenna in and out connection to hook up to your factory radio. You can also use this unit directly with your Kenwood radio or cd changer. The radio and/or changer must be manufactured in 98 or later. If your changer uses an "O-N" switch, then move the switch to the "N" position for it to work with the KOS-A200.
Note: This unit will display text information on your RDS enabled factory radio. This unit will also display text information on compatible Kenwood headunits which feature a CD-changer port.
Source Compatibility: You can listen to various sources through your car stereo by using the KOS-A200. Below is a list of available sources that can be connected.
- Sirius: a Sirius tuner and subscription in required
- HD Radio: a HD tuner is required
- iPod: iPod adapter interface (KCA-iP500) and compatible iPod required
- DAB: optional tuner is required
- USB Device: this unit will playback MP3, AAC, and WMA from digital audio players via the USB port
- External Disc: compatible Kenwood CD changer can be connected
- Auxiliary Input 1: one pair of stereo RCA inputs
- Auxiliary Input 2: one stereo min-jack input
Remote Control: This unit is equipped with a IR remote control switch that plugs into the KOS-A200 and then is run to the front of the vehicle so you can use the supplied wireless remote control. The remote operates the power, source, playback and menu functions of the KOS-A200. The remote offers the following playback functions.
- Pause: quickly pause your music
- Fast Forwarding and Reversing: quickly forward or reverse through songs
- Track/File Search: search for a song on a disc or in an audio folder
- Disc/Folder Search: search for a disc in the changer or a folder on the audio file media
- Direct Track/File Search: search tracks and files by entering track and file numbers
- Direct Disc Search: search for a disc by entering the disc number
- Track/File Repeat: replay the track or file you just listened to
- Disc/Folder Repeat: replay the song/disc in the changer or audio folder you are listening to
- Scan Play: play the first part of each song on the disc or folder you are listening to until you find the one you want
- Random Play: play all the songs on the disc or audio folder in random order
- Magazine Random Play: play the songs on all the discs in the changer in random order
- All Random Play: randomly play from all the audio files recorded on the media
- Folder Select: quickly select the folder you want to hear
Menu System: You operate the menu system of the KOS-A200 by the remote control. You can make numerous adjustments in the menu to fit your application.
- Transmission Frequency:
You can select between the transmission frequency for the built-in FM
transmitted to guarantee the strongest signal strength. You can select
between the following FM frequencies.
- 87.9, 88.1, 88.3, 88.5, 88.7, 88.9
- 89.1, 89.3, 89.5, 89.7, 89.9
- Modulation Level: You can
select the modulation level of the transmitter to adjust the volume output.
When you play sources and the volume is low compared with that for FM,
increase the modulation. If the volume is high and distorted, decrease the
modulation level. You can select between the following settings.
- MOD LV1
- MOD LV2 (default setting)
- MOD LV3
- Data Transmission Speed:
You can set the data transmission speed for the RDS feature. You can select
from the following.
- SCL-SPD 1, SCL-SPD 2
- SCL-SPD 3 (default setting)
- SCL-SPD4, SCL-SPD 5
- Touch Sensor Tone: You can turn the operation confirmation "beep" On or Off.
- Touch Sensor Tone Volume: You can adjust the volume of the beep confirmation. There are 5 levels to choose from.
- Text Scroll: You can adjust the text to repeatedly scroll across the screen or only scroll when the display changes.
- Built-in Auxiliary Input Setting: You can turn the Auxiliary Input "On" or "Off".
- Auxiliary Input Display:
You can label the Auxiliary input from one of the following.
- Firmware Version: allows you to display the firmware version with this unit
- Search Mode: allows you to select between auto tracking or manual tracking
- Sirius ID: allows you to display the Sirius ID electronic serial number when using a Sirius tuner
- Auto Memory: puts stations with good reception into memory automatically when in HD or DAB mode
- Switching Seek Mode: allows you to select either channel or preset search when using a Sirius tuner
- Receive Mode: allows you to select either Auto, Digital, or Analog mode to receive HD radio signals
- Antenna Out: male Motorola antenna output for connection to your factory stereo
- Antenna In: female Motorola antenna input for connection your factory stereo
- Power: 4-pin power connector input to supply power to the unit
- 13-Pin Port: proprietary port for connection of compatible Kenwood devices such as Sirius Tuner, HD Tuner, or iPod adapter module
- USB: USB connection for audio digital devices
- Aux In 1: one pair of stereo RCA inputs
- Aux In 2: one stereo min-jack input
- Remote In: one mini-jack input for connection to the IR remote switch
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.