Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Kenwood Excelon KOS-V1000
Factory system expansion controller (New Stock)
Item # 113KOSV1K | MFR # KOS-V1000
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Kenwood Excelon KOS-V1000 by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
You want to upgrade your sound system but you're dealing with a hard-to-replace factory stereo or lease restrictions. Kenwood's CarPortal KOS-V1000 lets you improve audio performance and incorporate the extra gear you want into your mobile audio/video system, while keeping the stock radio in the dash.
The CarPortal KOS-V1000 includes the same amplifier that you'll find in a Kenwood Excelon in-dash receiver, so you'll enjoy better sound quality than your factory radio can supply. You can take advantage of three sets of high-voltage preamp outputs if you want to add amps to drive aftermarket speakers or subwoofers.
Add expansion capabilities to your factory system
You'll find audio/video inputs for connecting a DVD player or camcorder, along with A/V outputs for piping the entertainment to video screens for your backseat passengers. Want to keep your factory radio's CD player and tuner as part of the mix? No problem just connect the factory stereo's speaker outputs to the CarPortal.
The KOS-V1000 also allows you to add a long list of equipment to your system. You get two auxiliary inputs, plus USB, iPod®, and satellite radio connections. You can also add an optional Kenwood Bluetooth® adapter for safe hands-free calling, or a rear-view camera for safety when backing up. And don't worry about getting lost you can even add on a Kenwood navigation system.
Don't limit the KOS-V1000 to upgrading factory car systems. You can also use it to quarterback a customized audio/video system in a limo, RV, custom car, or bus.
Easy system control
Use the optional KOS-L702 touchscreen monitor to control your system easy-to-use menus make it a breeze to choose the source you want, and allow you to access every aspect of its operation. Or, with many vehicles, you can use your factory navigation screen to display the CarPortal's functions, while controlling operation with the included remote control.
What's in the Box:
- Advanced Integration A/V controller with attached 6' antenna-in cable (female motorola connector on end)
- RC-DV330 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 8' Power harness with 4-pin plug on one end and bare wire on other end
- 22-Pin main-wiring harness
- 2-Pin power/ground harness for optional monitor
- 4-Pin relay harness
- 10-Pin speaker-level input harness
- Two 11.5' USB cable with female USB connector on one end and a male USB connector on the other end
- 19.5' Antenna extension cable with male motorola plug on one end and a female motorola plug on other end
- Remote control IR switch with attached 18' cord (right angle mini-jack on one end)
- 11.5' A/V mini-jack cable with a video and stereo female mini-jack connector on one end a video and stereo male right-angle mini-jack connector on other end
- 19.5" Right-angle male mini-jack to mini-jack cable
- Four 0.75" self-tapping screws
- Two-sided tape strip
- Instruction manual(English)
- Instruction manual (Spanish)
- Instruction manual (French)
- Warranty Card booklet
- Software License Agreement booklet
- factory system A/V expansion controller with built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- wireless remote
- 3-band equalizer with six preset curves and speaker type setting
- high- and low-pass filters
- compatible with optional Kenwood iPod adapter, satellite radio tuner, Bluetooth adapter, navigation system, TV tuner, backup camera input
- inputs: two USB inputs, two sets of A/V inputs
- outputs: three sets of 5-volt preamp outputs, two sets of A/V outputs
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Overview: Kenwood eXcelon's KOS-V1000 Advanced Integration A/V Controller lets you build an A/V system in your vehicle without replacing your factory radio. You will be able to enjoy navigation, satellite radio, Bluetooth technology, and HD Radio through your factory audio system when using this device. You also get high-speed iPod control of both audio and video. In addition, the KOS-V1000 is capable of outputting a 4-line text display for Satellite Radio, iPod, HD-Radio and RDS information.
Radio Compatibility: Using the speaker level inputs, the KOS-V1000 can be installed with many factory or aftermarket radios by hardwiring the supplied harness to your existing audio system. The KOS-V1000 features a sophisticated menu system and comes with an IR remote for complete control. To view the unit's on-screen display and menu system you will need the optional touch-screen Kenwood monitor (KOS-L702 or KOS-L432, sold separately). Or, if your existing head unit has a composite video input, a special Kenwood adapter is available (KOS-CV100, sold separately) that converts the 20-pin proprietary monitor output to a standard composite video output.
Remote Control: This unit is equipped with an IR remote control and an IR emitter attached to a cable that plugs into the KOS-V1000 and then is run to the front of the vehicle so you can use the supplied wireless remote control. The remote can operate the power, source, playback and menu functions of the KOS-V1000.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood eXcelon KOS-V1000 utilizes a Wolfson High-Resolution 24-bit digital to analog converter for extremely superior sound quality.
Built-In Amplifier: The Kenwood KOS-V1000 features an integrated Mosfet 22 watt RMS x 4 channel amplifier that you can choose to use instead of your factory radio's amplifier to upgrade your factory audio sound. A speaker-level adapter harness is provided to supply connection for the audio signal from your factory radio to the KOS-V1000. The built-in amplifier utilizes a separate gain control to match your factory radio's speaker-level output.
5-Volt Preamp Outputs: The KOS-V1000 also features three sets of 5-volt preamp outputs (Front, Rear, Subwoofer) for connecting external amplifiers to your factory system for added audio performance. The speaker-level adapter harness will also be used in this type of application as well.
Built-In Tuner With RDS: The KOS-V1000 has a built-in Kenwood CR-2 tuner which provides high signal strength for clear radio reception. The tuner features the Clean Reception System Circuit (CRSC) for improved rejection of distortion due to multi-path. You can choose one of three tuning modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual. The unit's tuner features RDS (Radio Data System). RDS is a service used by some radio stations to transmit data outside of normal radio broadcast signals. When an RDS station is received, you can immediately find out what kind of data is being transmitted by looking at the program service name which appears in the display after the frequency on the optional Kenwood monitor or your factory screen. RDS features an emergency transmission function which interrupts regular programming to broadcast an emergency announcement (such as a tornado or severe storm). There is also a switchable Traffic Information function, which will automatically tune a traffic bulletin when it is broadcast, even when you're not listening to the radio. The unit utilizes a female Motorola plug attached by a 6" pigtail to the chassis and 19.5' foot antenna extension cable is provided for installation.
Source Compatibility: You can listen to various sources through your factory car stereo using the KOS-V1000. Below is a list of available sources that can be connected:
- Portable or 12-Volt Audio/Video: The unit features a set of audio/video 3.5mm inputs on the front panel of the unit. There is one stereo 3.5mm input for audio and another 3.5mm input for video. The A/V mini-AUX input can be used to transfer audio and video signal from your portable MP3/Photo/Video player. The unit also features 2 sets of RCA A/V inputs that can be used to hook up an external DVD, VCR or Video Game system.
- AAC-LC/MP3/WMA/JPEG: The Kenwood
KOS-V1000 features two front panel 2.0 USB type-A ports
and comes supplied with two 11.5' USB cables that support
the transfer of AAC-LC, MP3, WMA and JPEG files. The USB
port enables connection to portable USB mass-storage
players, USB thumb drives and audio control of MP3 players.
The USB port is compatible with all USB mass storage class
devices that support the FAT16 or FAT32 file system. A
single or multi-slot card reader can also be connected
the USB port, allowing your music or photos to be put
neatly into different types of memory cards. Your USB
device's rechargeable battery will recharge while it's
connected to the USB port and when the KOS-V1000 is
Note: The iPod nano and iPod video can be hooked up directly via USB, but without the Kenwood adapter cable (KCA-iP300V), you will not be able to play iTunes or other copyright protected content and you will lose any audio/video file browsing control.
- iPod Control: The USB port and A/V AUX input are also compatible with iPod devices when used with the optional KCA-iP300V adapter (part number 113IP300V, sold separately). The USB Direct Connection enables high-speed iPod data communications of 12MB/bps via the optional KCA-iP300V (3-Wire) interface. One end of the cable plugs directly into your iPod's dock connector while the other end of the cable uses three connectors that plug into the front of the KOS-V1000. The USB type-A connector portion of the cable plugs into the unit's USB port and handles the control and charging of your iPod, so you can navigate through your music and video files using the supplied remote control or optional touch-screen monitor and view song and movie info on the optional display. The two 3.5mm miniplug connectors of the cable plug into the unit's A/V 3.5mm inputs and transfer the music and video from your iPod to your factory audio system and optional monitor. By using the Auxiliary input, the music travels to the receiver as an analog signal, so you can even play the Digital-Rights-Protected files you've stored on your iPod. The controls of the unit's on-screen display when used with Kenwood's optional touch-screen monitor (KOS-L702 or KOS-L432, sold separately) are seamless when used with the optional KCA-iP300V and include metadata browsing and playback of DRM contents, as well as the ability to choose any iPod playback mode to suit your listening application. The following iPods are compatible with this unit - iPod video (5th generation), iPod nano (3rd/4th generation), and iPod classic (80/120/160GB).
Note: You should update your iPod with latest software version.
Radio Ready: There are several
options for connecting an optional satellite radio tuner to
- SIRIUS: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SC-C1 SiriusConnect vehicle tuner (item number 607SCC1) and the Kenwood/SIRIUS adapter (item number 113KCASR50).
- Dock: Select dock-and-play and portable SIRIUS radios can be controlled using the Kenwood/SIRIUS adapter (item number 113KCASR50) and the SC-VDOC1 dock (item number 607SCVDOC1).
- Auxiliary Input: A portable satellite radio receiver, such as the Delphi SkyFi3 or SIRIUS Sportster, can be connected to the head unit via the auxiliary input (adapter may be required).
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming.
- HD Radio Ready: With an optional Kenwood HD Radio tuner (item number 113HR100TR), you will be able to receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. This new technology will significantly improve audio quality and reception, as well as include information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the optional Kenwood monitor (KOS-L702/KOS-L432) or your factory monitor using a Kenwood adapter.
- TV Tuner Compatible: This unit is compatible with the Kenwood KTC-V300N TV tuner (sold separately, item number 113KTCV300).
- Navigation Ready: The unit is compatible with the following Kenwood navigation systems: KNA-G510 (item 113KNAG510), KNA-DV4100 (item 113KNADV41), KNA-DV3100, and KNA-DV2100. The navigation system can be connected via the 13-pin I/F jack on the front of the integrated A/V controller (I/F cable supplied with the navigation system). Third party navigation systems with composite video and stereo RCA outputs can also be connected via the AV input. You can select which speakers are used for navigation voice guidance: front left, front right, or both front speakers through the unit's menu. You can also set the volume for the voice guidance audio.
- CD-Changer Compatible: This unit is compatible with Kenwood changers manufactured in 1998 or later. If the changer has an O-N switch, the switch will need to be set to the "N" position.
Two Audio/Video Outputs: The unit has a pair of audio/video outputs consisting of a pair of composite RCA terminals for audio and one composite RCA terminal for video to hook-up a external monitors such as a head-rest monitors. The A/V outputs are used only to output a connected video source and does output the unit's menu system.
Bluetooth Ready: The unit is also Bluetooth compatible using the optional Kenwood KCA-BT300 Bluetooth adapter. Using this adapter you can make and answer phone calls from the optional touch-screen monitor (KOS-L702/KOS-L432) or supplied IR remote. You can even download your Phonebook information from your compatible mobile phone into the KOS-V1000. You are able to register up to five compatible Bluetooth cell phones when using the KCA-BT300 adapter.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The unit also features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with the optional PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (541SWIRC, sold separately); or the optional Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (120ASWC, sold separately).
Note: Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Stand Alone Compatible: In addition to connecting this unit to your factory system, the KOS-V1000 can act as a stand alone unit due to its built-in tuner and amplifier along with its various source inputs when used with Kenwood's optional KOS-L702 or KOS-L432 touchscreen monitor.
Security Code: You may program the unit with a 4 digit security code. Once the unit has been programmed with a security code, the code must be entered to use the unit after it has been disconnected from power.
On-Screen Menu: The Kenwood KOS-V1000 features an on-screen menu that is output from its 20-pin monitor-out connector. You will need the optional Kenwood touch-screen monitor (KOS-L702/KOS-L432) or an optional Kenwood interface that adapts the proprietary 20-pin monitor output connector to a standard composite video output so you can connect the KOS-V1000 to your factory monitor or navigation screen. The on-screen menu can be controlled through the touch-panel of the optional Kenwood monitor (KOS-L702/KOS-L432) or through the remote when connected to a factory or non-touch-screen display. You can view and control the following audio and video settings through the unit's on-screen menu.
- Audio Settings:
- System Q EX Sound Control: Six EQ curves are preset into memory, allowing you to recall the best preset EQ curve for different types of music. The preset curves are named Natural, Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, and Jazz. In addition, you may store your own settings under the User Memory EQ curve. In the User Mode you can make manual adjustments for the bass center frequency (40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 100, 120, or 150Hz), bass level (-8 to +8), bass Q factor (1.00, 1.25, 1.50 or 2.00), bass extension (On or Off), middle center frequency (500Hz, 1.0kHz, 1.5 or 2.0kHz), middle level (-8 to +8), middle Q factor (1.0 or 2.0), treble center frequency (10.0, 12.5, 15.0 or 17.5kHz), and treble level (-8 to +8). The System Q EX can be turned off in the menu, still allowing you to adjust the bass, middle and treble levels only.
- Speaker Type Setting: This feature tailors the System Q EX Sound Control settings according to the type of front speakers in your vehicle. You may select Standard (for speakers with a general diameter), Narrow (for speakers with a small diameter), Middle (for speakers with a medium diameter), or Wide (for speakers with a large diameter).
- System E's+ Advanced Crossover System: The System E's+ Advanced Crossover system allows you to tailor your system with selectable crossover points for all channels. For the front and rear channels, there is a high-pass filter with independently selectable crossover points of 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, 220Hz or Thru (no filter). The non-fading preamp output, for use with subwoofer amplifiers, has a low-pass filter with a selectable cutoff frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz or Thru (no filter). You can also switch the phase of the subwoofer output from normal to reverse, and adjust the level of the output from -50 to +10 in 1dB steps.
- Bass DC Extension: When this feature is turned on it extends the bass center frequency to the low register by approximately 20% adding additional bass response to your system.
- Bass Management System (B.M.S.): This unit is equipped with an interface (pink/black wire in the wiring harness) which controls certain special features of B.M.S.-equipped Kenwood eXcelon amplifiers. This unit, when properly connected, can remotely activate and adjust the amount of bass boost in the amplifier. You can choose between +6dB, +12dB, or +18dB bass boost, or flat (no boost). In addition, you can lower the bass boost center frequency by 20%, switching between "Normal" and "Low".
- Video Settings:
- Selectable Screen Modes:
You can choose from the following Screen Modes for the display monitor
for each of the video inputs (iPod Video, Video 1 and Video 2).
- Normal: displays 16:9 widescreen format pictures that fill the entire screen width, and 4:3 (conventional TV) pictures display with black bars on either side
- Full: expands 4:3 pictures horizontally to fill the entire width of the screen, distorting the picture slightly but retaining full image height
- Just: expands 4:3 pictures horizontally only at the edges
- Zoom: expands 4:3 pictures both horizontally and vertically, filling the screen without distorting the picture but cutting off the top and bottom edges
- Display Adjustment: You can adjust the display's brightness, contrast, and black level.
- Backgrounds: The unit features backgrounds that can be selected from readily available patterns or you can create your own by using original pictures or images downloaded from your portable USB device.
- Selectable Screen Modes: You can choose from the following Screen Modes for the display monitor for each of the video inputs (iPod Video, Video 1 and Video 2).
Aluminum Top-Cover: The eXcelon KOS-V1000 utilizes a brushed aluminum removable top-cover that gives the device a sleek and clean-looking design while helping to protect and hide the connections that are located on the front and rear panels of the unit. An allen-wrench is supplied for removal of the top-cover.
- Antenna In: female Motorola antenna input for connection for connection of your factory antenna when using the KOS-V1000's built-in tuner
- Power: 22-pin power connector input to supply power to the unit and send signal to your factory audio system
- Monitor I/F: 20-pin jack that connects to an optional Kenwood monitor (KOS-L702/KOS-L432, sold separately) or a Kenwood 20-pin to composite RCA adapter
- Monitor Power: 2-pin plug that connects the supplied power/ground harness which provides power to the connected, optional Kenwood monitor (KOS-L702 or KOS-L432)
- R-Cam: RCA composite video jack for use with an optional rear-view camera (CCD-2000)
- A/V Output 1&2: two sets of left and right RCA audio jacks and an RCA composite video jack to supply video to optional universal monitors
- A/V Input 1&2: two sets of left and right RCA audio jacks and an RCA composite video jack for inputting an audi0/video signal from an external source
- Pre-Outs: left and right RCA audio jacks for the front, rear and sub-channels that connect to optional amplifiers in your system
- Relay Unit: 4-pin input for supplied relay harness
- Remote: 3.5mm input for supplied wired emitter to control the supplied IR remote and a 3.5mm output to link another you to IR remote controller
- TV-Tuner I/F: 20-pin proprietary jack that allows you to connect an optional Kenwood TV tuner
- Two USB Ports: Two USB connections for audio digital devices
- iPod: 3.5mm stereo audio and video jack for connection of iPod or other portable audio device
- Speaker-Level Input: 10-pin jack for connection of supplied speaker-level adapter to transfer the audio signal from your factory head-unit to the KOS-V1000 when using the unit's internal amplifier or external amplifiers
- Navigation I/F: 13-pin jack that allows you to connect an optional Kenwood navigation unit
- 5L I/F: 13-pin jack that allows you to connect an optional Kenwood changer
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.