Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Kenwood VR-510 A/V Receiver
THX Select, Dolby Digital, DTS, and Pro Logic II
Item #: 113VR510
This item is no longer available.
Kenwood VR-510 A/V Receiver
Our take on the Kenwood VR-510 A/V Receiver
The mighty VR-510 is THX® Select certified by Lucasfilm Ltd. its digital processing includes specific enhancements (Re-EQ™, Timbre Matching™, Decorrelation™, and more) for faithful re-creation of the movie theater experience in the home. Add in Dolby® Digital, DTS® and Dolby® Pro Logic II decoding, plus 110 full-bandwidth-rated watts x 5 channels, and you're in for no-holds-barred home theater thrills! (Pro Logic II creates a convincing 5.1 channel experience with stereo, full-bandwidth surround channels for Dolby-encoded movies, stereo TV broadcasts, and music.)
For total system control, this Kenwood comes with a radio frequency remote that lets you operate your system from any room in the house. Pre-programmed for other brands of gear, it can also learn the codes from other remotes great for future component additions. The 1-way LCD displays your control selections in easy view.
Your digital audio connections are covered by 4 digital inputs, plus an optical output for direct digital recording to CD-R or MiniDisc. For the rest of your system (and room to grow!), you get 3 audio and 5 A/V inputs, plus a dual-room/single-source A/V output. Other high-end touches include an anti-resonant aluminum front panel for clean sound, and component video switching for maximum video versatility.Details:
- THX Select
- Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic II decoding
- 110 watts x 5 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.7% THD
- dual-room/single-source A/V output (5.1-channel audio plus composite video)
- component video switching: 2 in, 1 out (10MHz bandwidth)
- 4 digital inputs: 2 optical, 2 coaxial
- optical digital output
- 3 audio inputs (including phono), and 5 A/V inputs (including 5 S-video, 1 front-panel and one 5.1-channel)
- 24-bit DSP, A/D & D/A converters
- 5 audio DSP modes (Arena, Theater, Jazz Club, Stadium, Disco)
- Circle Surround mode (produces 5.1 channel sound from stereo sources)
- Midnight Theater mode
- preamp-level subwoofer output
- 2 sets main speaker outputs
- banana plug-compatible binding posts for front left/center/right speakers
- learning/multibrand, RF, 1-way LCD remote control with macro capability
- 40 AM/FM presets
- anti-resonant aluminum front panel
- 17-3/8"W x 5-11/16"H x 16-1/2"D
- warranty: 2 years
What's in the Box:
- AM/FM/Dolby Digital/DTS receiver
- RC-R0812 Wireless remote
- 4 "AA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- RF remote antenna
- Instruction Manual
- Important Safeguards
- Kenwood SmartCard
- Sheet with Kenwood support telephone number
- Warranty card
Features and Specs
THX Select Certification: This unit has been built and tested to conform to the high standards of sound and build quality set by the THX Select Certification program. This receiver is equipped with a "THX Cinema" mode that may be used to processes movie soundtracks so they are heard as the movie directors intended them to be heard. All THX Select Certified receivers include Re-Equalization, Timbre Matching, Adaptive Decorrelation, Bass Management, Bass Peak Level Manager, and Loudspeaker Position Time Synchronization (delay).
Dolby Pro Logic II: Pro Logic II is a new Dolby Laboratories technology that produces surround sound from any stereo source, including CDs, VHS tapes, TV shows, digital audio files like MP3 and AAC, cassette tapes, and FM radio broadcasts. Like Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II has stereo surround output, giving you a more realistic surround sound experience. Unlike Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II allows you to enjoy a "5.1-like" presentation using any analog stereo source. Pro Logic II includes a Movie mode, Music mode, and standard four-channel Pro Logic decoding mode.
Anti-resonant Aluminum Front Panel: The VR-510 has an anti-resonant aluminum front panel for clean sound.
KAM-1 Power Amplifier Circuitry: This exclusive Kenwood modular amplifier circuit doubles electrical efficiency, producing more power while generating less heat. KAM-1 offers superior sound quality and reliability.
96kHz/24-bit Audio D/A Conversion: This unit will accept and play 96kHz/24 bit linear PCM digital audio.
5.1-Channel Input: In addition to the built-in Dolby Digital and DTS processing, this unit also has a 5.1-channel input for use with external multi-channel decoders.
Component Video Switching: In addition to composite and S-video switching, this unit can switch between two component video sources. There are 2 component video inputs and 1 component video monitor output; each input and output has jacks labeled "Y", "CB" and "CR". This feature allows you to connect, and switch between, high resolution video sources equipped with component video outputs.
- Dolby Digital
- Dolby Pro Logic II
- THX Cinema: This mode applies processing (Re-Equalization, Adaptive Decorrelation, Timbre Matching, etc.) to recreate the exact sound the movie director intended you to hear
- Dolby 3 Stereo: This mode is for systems without surround speakers. The surround information is redirected to the front left and right loudspeakers.
- SRS Circle Surround: This mode provides a 5.1-channel surround sound experience with stereo sources
- Arena (DSP): Simulates the acoustic environment of a large arena
- Jazz Club (DSP): Simulates the acoustic environment of a jazz club
- Theater (DSP): Simulates the acoustic environment of a movie theater
- Stadium (DSP): Simulates the acoustic environment of a stadium
- Disco (DSP): Simulates the acoustic environment of a disco club
Midnight Mode: This mode compresses the dynamic range of Dolby Digital sources for greater enjoyment of surround sound at low volume. Midnight mode is ideal for listening at night. Note: This mode is only available when specially encoded Dolby Digital signals are played.
Panorama Mode (Pro Logic II Music mode only): When listening to music, you can enjoy the "wraparound" sound effect when you adjust the Panorama Mode.
Dimension Mode (Pro Logic II Music mode only): When listening to music with certain recordings, you will be able to achieve a suitable balance from all the speakers by adjusting the Dimension Mode.
Center Width Mode (Pro Logic II Music mode only): The Center Width Mode allows you to adjust the position of the center image.
Cinema EQ: The Cinema EQ enhances bass response for films and smoothes the blend between the front speakers and the subwoofer.
- Subwoofer: You can select ON or OFF. If OFF is selected, the front speakers are automatically set to LARGE.
- Front Speakers: You can select NORMAL/THX or LARGE
- Center Speaker: If you have selected LARGE as the front speaker size, you can select NORMAL/THX, LARGE, or OFF for the center speaker. If NORMAL/THX is selected for the front speakers, you can select NORMAL/THX or OFF for the center speaker.
- Surround Speakers: If you have selected LARGE for the center speaker, you can select NORMAL/THX, LARGE, or OFF for the surround speakers. If you have selected anything but LARGE for the center speaker, you can select NORMAL/THX or OFF for the surround speakers.
- Subwoofer Re-Mix: You can select ON or OFF
- Test Tone: The test tone feature allows you to independently adjust the volume level of each channel (front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right, and subwoofer)
- Bass Peak Level: The bass peak level may be set to prevent distortion and possible damage to your subwoofer. You can adjust the bass peak level from -30dB to 0dB in 1dB increments, or it can be turned OFF.
- Front Speaker Distance: Each front speaker may be independently adjusted from 1-30 feet in 1 foot increments
- Center Speaker Distance: May be adjusted from 1-30 feet in 1 foot increments
- Surround Speaker Distance: Each surround speaker may be independently adjusted from 1-30 feet in 1 foot increments
- Subwoofer Distance: May be adjusted from 1-30 feet in 1 foot increments
Room B Output: This unit is equipped with "Pre Out/Room B" preamp audio outputs and an RCA composite video jack to send signals to a TV, powered speakers, a receiver and/or an amplifier in another room. The "Pre Out/Room B" outputs include front right, front left, center, surround right, surround left and subwoofer preamp output audio connections. Although the manual shows only the front left and right audio preamp outputs being used to send audio to "Room B", all six preamp outputs may be used to send audio to a 2nd zone. The source selected for playback in the main zone is the same source sent to the "Room B" outputs.
Input Level Adjustment (analog sources only): If the input level of an analog source signal is too high, the CLIP indicator will blink. To avoid this, you can adjust the input level independently for each analog source. You can select 0dB, -3dB, or -6dB.
Source Direct Listening Mode: This mode allows you to bypass all digital processing and tone controls, yielding the purest sound possible for analog sources.
Digital Signal Format Auto Detection/Auto Switching: When a digital input is set to D-Auto, the input detects the format of the incoming digital data stream, automatically activating the proper surround decoding mode. You can also adjust the inputs manually.
Display Dimmer: The display brightness may be set to one of three levels.
Multibrand/Learning RF Remote: The VR-510 comes with a powerful remote that is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on other brands of components, including satellite receivers, cassette decks, CD players, MD recorders/players, televisions, VCRs, Laserdisc players, DVD players, DSS receivers, and cable boxes. In addition, this remote can learn the infrared commands from remotes of other devices. An illuminated LCD on the top of the remote displays your control selections in easy view. Since the remote emits a powerful RF (radio frequency) signal, you can operate your system from another room.
Macro Play: Up to 3 macros, each with a maximum of 20 steps, can be stored in the remote, allowing you to perform a series of operations at the push of a button. The macro functions are stored under the Music, Movie, and TV keys.
CD Text Display: When used with a compatible Kenwood CD player, CD Text information is displayed on the remote's LCD.
- Phones: Standard gold-plated headphone output jack
- AV Aux Input: Gold-plated stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- AM Loop Antenna Input: Two spring clip connections
- FM 75-ohm Antenna Input: Slip-on F-Type connector
- Phono Input: Stereo RCA jacks with ground screw
- CD/DVD Input: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack, S-video jack and component video jacks (3 RCA jacks labeled "Y", "CB" and "CR")
- MD/Tape Input/Output: Stereo RCA jacks
- Monitor Input/Output: Stereo RCA jacks
- Video 1 Input/Output: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jacks and S-video jacks
- Video 2 Input: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- Video 3 Input: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack, S-video jack and component video jacks (3 RCA jacks labeled "Y", "CB" and "CR")
- DVD/6 Channel Input: 6 RCA jacks (front left, front right, surround left, surround right, center, and subwoofer)
- Pre Out/Room B Outputs: 6 RCA jacks (front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right, and subwoofer), which can be used to supply audio signals a 2nd zone; if the jacks are not used to supply audio to a 2nd zone, they can be used to feed amplifiers in the main zone
- Room B Video Output: RCA composite video jack; when used with the "Pre Out/Room B" preamp outputs, you can send A/V signals to a TV, powered speakers, a receiver and/or an amplifier in another room
- DVD Coax Digital Input: Standard coaxial digital jack
- Video 2 Coax Digital Input: Standard coaxial digital jack
- CD/DVD Optical Digital Input: Standard Toslink digital input with a plastic protective cover
- Video 3 Optical Digital Input: Standard Toslink digital input with a plastic protective cover
- Monitor Optical Digital Output: Standard Toslink digital output with a plastic protective cover
- Monitor Output: RCA composite video jack, S-video jack, and component video jacks (3 RCA jacks labeled "Y", "CB" and "CR")
- Antenna RF Input: Mini-jack input for supplied RF remote antenna
- IR Repeater Outputs: 2 Mono mini-jack outputs for connecting optional IR repeaters
- IR Receiver Input (DC8V, 17mA): Allows you to connect an external IR receiver/transmitter so you can use IR to control the unit when it is not located in line of sight of the remote. This input is compatible with the Kenwood IR-9991.
- System Control Outputs (SL16): 2 Stereo mini-jack outputs that allow you to connect compatible Kenwood components
- Speaker Outputs: Binding post outputs for front left (A), front right (A), and center speakers (posts are not 5-way binding posts, because each post has a plastic collar that prevents use with spade lugs and the posts are too far apart to use dual banana plugs). Spring clips for front left (B), front right (B), surround left, and surround right speakers
- AC Outlets: 2 Switched AC outlets (150W/1.25A max)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.