Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Watch a product review
CES Spotlight: Pioneer AVH-series DVD receivers
Crutchfield: Pioneer AVH-P8400BH DVD receiver
Pioneer AVH-8400BH display and controls demo
CES Spotlight: Pioneer Advanced App Mode
CES Spotlight: Pioneer MIXTRAX
Crutchfield: How Does Pioneer MIXTRAX Work?
Our take on the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
Have it all
The AVH-P8400BH sits at the top of Pioneer's DVD receiver lineup for 2012, offering a 6.95" touchscreen display, customizable display colors, built-in Bluetooth®, and an HD Radio™ tuner, along with some cool new features that'll really enhance your car audio and video experience. Plus, you can remove the AVH-P8400BH's detachable face — an unusual feature on DVD receivers — when you leave the car, giving you peace of mind when you've parked in a questionable spot.
The MIXTRAX experience
Pioneer's MIXTRAX technology adds DJ-inspired audio and visual effects to your music. Once you use the included MIXTRAX PC software to analyze your music, the AVH-P8400BH will create non-stop mixes, complete with visual effects. You can also use MIXTRAX as an app with your iPhone® or iPod touch®. Load it up and control the app from the receiver's touchscreen to get the party started.
Advanced App Mode
The Advanced App Mode adapts technology originally developed for Pioneer's AppRadio™ to this receiver. When you've connected your iPhone with Pioneer's CD-IU201S cable (not included), you'll be able to control apps like MotionX GPS Drive, INRIX traffic, Rdio, and PANDORA®, along with new apps as they're developed.
Impressive A/V capabilities
Think of this Pioneer as a music hub for your car. Play your store-bought and home-burned CDs and DVDs. Or connect your iPod® or iPhone, then take control from the receiver's big touchscreen. Plug in your iPhone with the CD-IU201S cable and take charge of your Pandora® account from the touchscreen, complete with thumbs-up and thumbs-down controls — you can view video content from your iPod or iPhone, too. Your iPhone will charge up fast when the battery is low, thanks to the 1-amp USB port.
If you're into video, you'll love the big 7" LCD screen. You can watch DVDs in bright, clear detail when you're parked, and the dual-zone output allows you to send video content to screens in the back of your car, so the kids can enjoy a video while you listen to a different source up front.
The receiver's built-in amp has the horsepower to keep up with the receiver's great looks, delivering crisp, clean sound that you can tailor with the 8-band equalizer. To get the perfect sound, use the auto-equalization feature to tune your system (microphone required). If you'll building a system, the three pairs of preamp outputs send a 4-volt signal to your external amps.
Stay on track and stay safe
Pioneer's AVIC-U220 navigation module gives the AVH-P8400BH full-fledged navigation capabilities. And you can add a rear-view camera to the receiver's cam input — it'll make backing up larger vehicles a lot safer in tight spots.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter (not included) to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Pioneer stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Pioneer, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check Details for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
iPhone® 5 Note: You'll need to update this Pioneer receiver to enable Bluetooth control and metadata display for the iPhone 5 or other Apple iOS6 devices. This update requires a laptop with Bluetooth running Windows 7.
I installed this stereo into my 2005 Toyota Tacoma and It's one of the best stereos I have ever purchased. And improve the sound quality of my factory system. Highly recommend this product to anybody wanting a touchscreen's car stereo.
Brent, Lowell Ohio
What's in the Box:
- Double-DIN DVD A/V receiver with integrated 6.95" LCD touchscreen monitor (10A fuse inserted in chassis)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (CD-R33)
- CR2025 3V lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 5' USB extension cable (with a male USB type-A connector on one end and a female USB type-A connector on other end)
- External microphone (with attached 13' cable terminated by a right-angle male 2.5mm connector)
- 6 Pan-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- Two-sided tape
- Soft cloth carrying pouch
- Owner's Manual (English)
- Owner's Manual (French)
- Owner's Manual (Spanish)
- Warranty sheet (USA/Canada)
- DVD/CD receiver with internal amp (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- detachable 6.95" motorized touchscreen with multi-angle adjustments
- Advanced App Mode for iPhone (CD-IU201S cable required)
- MIXTRAX for a DJ-inspired audio/visual experience
- built-in HD Radio™ tuner
- built-in Bluetooth® for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- touchscreen controls with Advanced Touch Slide operation
- five customizable display colors and 112 key panel illumination choices
- Pandora® Internet radio control with iPhone®
- fits double-DIN dash openings
- remote control
- plays audio/video content from CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- 8-band graphic equalizer with 7 preset EQ curves
- dual-zone output
- high- and low-pass filters
- Advanced Sound Retriever
- Auto EQ feature tunes your system automatically (microphone required)
- built-in audio iPod control Pioneer's optional CD-IU201S cable required for viewing video content and Pandora control
- compatible with Pioneer AVIC-U220 navigation module, satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear A/V input, rear video output, rear A/V input, two rear USB inputs, rear-view camera input
- outputs: video output, 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
Pioneer AVH-P8400BH Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||3.5mm AV (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||3.5mm (R), Composite (R)|
|Android Control||USB MSC protocol + Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, SD memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||XM|
|RMS Power Output||14 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||4.0 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
6.95" TFT LCD Touchscreen Color Display: The Pioneer AVH-P8400BH features a 6.95" TFT Active Matrix, 16:9 widescreen touchscreen display. The resolution of the display is 800 x 480 x RGB, for a total of 1,152,000 pixels. The touchscreen display allows you to control this unit and a paired Bluetooth device, or a connected component such as an iPod/iPhone, Satellite radio receiver, or USB Flash memory. Menus appear on screen for making function choices, audio adjustments, and setting up the system.
Motorized Display: The unit's touchscreen display is motorized. The 6.95" touchscreen display electronically slides down to load and eject your DVD/CD discs. The angle of the motorized touchscreen display can also be adjusted to five different positions to meet your viewing needs in the car.
Detachable Face Plate: The unit's 6.95" touchscreen display is detachable to deter theft. A soft cloth carrying pouch is included to protect the touchscreen display when detached.
Multilingual Display: The Pioneer AVH-P8400BH offers English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish text.
Video Adjustments: You can store numerous video settings for each source and the optional rear view camera; including brightness (adjusts the black intensity), contrast (adjusts contrast) color (adjusts color saturation), temperature (adjust the color temperature), and Dimmer (adjusts brightness).
Widescreen Modes: You can choose from the following widescreen modes when playing back video:
- Full: A 4:3 picture is enlarged in the horizontal direction only, enabling you to enjoy a 4:3 picture without any omissions.
- Zoom: A 4:3 picture is enlarged in the same proportion both vertically and horizontally; ideal for a 16:9 screen.
- Normal: A 4:3 picture is displayed as it is.
On Screen Display Color & Background Adjustment: The color of the on-screen display can be set to red, amber, green, blue or white. The background can be set to one of four preset still images, a preset movie image, a stored JPEG image, a video image from the external input, the clock, or turned Off.
Front-Panel Control w/ Custom Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the bottom edge of the screen. The color of the button illumination can be set to red, amber, green, blue, white, or scan (constantly cycling through the color spectrum). You can also create a custom color to match your vehicle's interior lighting (112 colors to choose from).
Dimmer: To prevent the display from being too bright at night, the display is automatically dimmed when the car's headlights are turned on. You can turn the dimmer on or off. The automatic dimmer function only works when the orange/white illumination wire in the wiring harness is connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit.
Parking Brake Interlock: This unit has a parking brake interlock system that prohibits viewing of video programming and operating certain controls when the vehicle is in motion. In order to watch video on the in-dash monitor, the vehicle must be parked with the parking brake engaged. The head unit's light green wire must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit.
Note: The head unit's touchscreen will display "Attention! Viewing of front seat video source while driving is strictly prohibited", if you try to watch a video when your vehicle is in motion.
2-DIN Chassis: The Pioneer AVH-P8400BH has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double DIN" or size DD), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets. There is also an optional double-DIN sleeve (130ADTV133, sold separately) available for this unit that will allow you to Euro-mount or custom mount the Pioneer head unit in your vehicle. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
HD Radio: The Pioneer AVH-P8400BH's built-in HD Radio tuner lets you listen to the radio with the same fidelity as your digital music. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multi-casting, and data services. With HD Radio, your FM stations offer near CD-quality sound, AM stations provide FM-like sound, and there is crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion. Best of all, HD Radio is 100% subscription free. HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area. The unit's tuner also supports analog AM/FM broadcasts.
Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 3 multicast programs (HD1 to HD3, and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible analog or HD AM/FM stations.
iTunes Tagging: It is possible to save the song's information (tag) from a HD Radio broadcasting station to your USB-direct connected iPod/iPhone. The songs will show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the next time you sync your iPod/iPhone. Then you can directly buy the songs you want from the iTunes Music Store.
Supertuner IIID: The Supertuner IIID features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
Reception Blending: If a digital broadcast reception condition gets poor, this unit automatically switches to the analog broadcast of the same frequency level. If this function is set to "On", the tuner switches between digital broadcast and analog broadcast automatically. If this function is 'Off', reception will be conducted within an analog broadcast.
BSM (Best Stations Memory): The BSM (Best Stations Memory) function lets you automatically store the six strongest analog or HD stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 level of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
XM Satellite Radio Ready: You can connect and control Pioneer's GEX-P920XM XM tuner (130P920XM, sold separately). A subscription to XM, plus the proper antenna is required in order to receive satellite radio programming.
Multimedia Compatibility: The Pioneer AVH-P8400BH features a hidden disc slot and SD-card slot, as well as two rear-panel USB type-A 2.0 full-speed ports (a 5' USB extension cable is provided). The disc slot and SD-card slot is located behind the head unit's motorized slide-down touchscreen panel. The head unit offers the following media compatibility.
|Media Type||CD-R-RW||DVD-R/-RW/-R DL||USB Storage Device||SD/SDHC Memory Card (up to 16GB)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1 or 2,
Romeo, and Joliet
|ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Romeo, Joliet, and UDF 1.02||FAT16/FAT32|
|Playable File Types||MP3, WMA, AAC, DivX||MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, WMV, H.264, MPEG-4|
|Maximum # of Folders||700||3,000|
|Maximum # of Files||999||3,500||15,000|
|Note||Maximum playback time of audio files stored in an external storage device (USB/SD) is 7.5 hours or 450 minutes|
Compressed Audio Playback: The AVH-P8400BH supports playback of MP3, WMA, and AAC audio files stored on CD-R/RW and DVD-R/RW discs, as well as USB devices and SD/SDHC memory cards.
|Audio Format||MP3||WMA||WAV (USB/SD only)||AAC|
|Bit Rate||8-320 kbps (CBR), VBR||5-320 kbps (CBR), VBR||LPCM: 8
and 16 bits
MS ADPCM: 4 bits
|8-576 kbps (CBR)|
|Sampling Frequency||16-48 kHz (32/44.1/48kHz for emphasis)||8-48 kHz||LPCM:
IMA-ADPCM: 22.05 and 44.1 kHz
|Tags||ID3 tag ver. 1.0, 1.1, 2.2, 2.3||WMA tag||N/A||AAC tag|
Compressed Video Playback: The Pioneer AVH-P8400BH supports the following video files recorded onto CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, and DVD+R/RW discs; as well as a USB storage device or a SD/SDHC memory card.
|Video Format||MPEG4||H.264||DivX||WMV (USB/SD only)|
|File Extension||.mp4||.avi||.avi/.divx (Home Theater Ver. 4.xx, 5.xx, 6.xx)||.wmv|
|Compatible Audio Codec||AAC||AAC||MP2, MP3, Linear PCM||WMA|
|Maximum Resolution/Frame Rate||720 x 1280 (30 fps)||720 x 1280 (30fps)||720 x 576 (25fps), 720 x 480 pixels (30fps)||720 x 1280 (30fps)|
|Max Bit Rate||8,000 kbps|
Note: Video can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
JPEG Still Images: The AVH-P8400BH also supports playback of JPEG still images stored on a SD/SDHC memory card or USB device. You can import still images from your SD/SDHC memory card or USB memory device to the unit's built-in flash-memory and create a custom splash screen for the head unit.
|Still Image Format||JPEG|
|Maximum Image Size||4092 x 4092 pixels or smaller|
|Maximum Data Size||8MB|
Note: JPEG files are not supported on CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, and DVD+R/RW discs. Photos can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
Playback Functions: The Pioneer AVH-P8400BH offers the following playback functions:
- Automatic Playback: When a DVD disc with DVD menu is inserted, this unit will cancel the DVD menu automatically and start playback from the first chapter of the first title.
- Bookmark (Resume Playback): The Bookmark function lets you resume playback from a selected scene the next time the disc is loaded.
- Frame-By-Frame Playback: This feature lets you movie ahead on frame at a time during playback of your DVD or Video CD.
- Slow Motion Forward: When playing a DVD or Video CD, you can choose to play back video in slow motion (no audio).
- Repeat Play: Audio/Video content can be repeated. You can choose from Disc (entire disc), Folder (current folder) Chapter (current chapter), Title (current title), Track (current track), File (current file), Folder (current folder), or One (current video/song/track).
- Random (Shuffle) Play: Audio/Video can be played back in a random order. You can choose from Songs (videos/songs in selected list), Albums (videos/songs from selected album), Folder (songs/tracks in selected folder), or Disc (all songs/tracks on disc).
Search Functions: The AVH-P8400BH provides the following search functions:
- Track Title List: You can select tracks to playback using the track title list which is a list of the tracks recorded on a disc or USB/SD memory device.
- Scene Search: You can use the search function on the unit's on-screen display to search for a desired scene on your DVD by specifying a title and chapter track.
- Return to Scene: You can return to the specified scene where the DVD you are currently playing has been preprogrammed to return.
- Skip Search: You can skip to the previous/next track, file, folder, title, or chapter on a disc or USB/SD device.
- Fast Forward/Reverse: You can fast forward/reverse through a current track, file, or title on a disc or USB/SD device.
MIXTRAX: MIXTRAX is an innovative Pioneer technology that creates a non-stop mix of your music library complete with a range of DJ-inspired effects. Drawing from Pioneer's rich DJ heritage and passion for music, MIXTRAX delivers a unique DJ infused listening experience to listeners in the car. MIXTRAX takes the music from an iPod, iPhone, or USB device and plays it back with added transitions and effects, creating a virtual DJ inside the AVH-P8400BH. MIXTRAX works by first having the MIXTRAX PC software automatically analyze a track's BPM, bar, beat position, vocal position and mood, then adds the analyzed data to the music file. The AVH-P8400BH reads the embedded MIXTRAX data from your audio device as you enjoy precise, full featured non-stop mixes in your vehicle complete with album art that dances to the beat. You can also experience MIXTRAX as an app for the iPhone 4/4S or iPod Touch (4th Gen) and using Advanced App Mode to control the MIXTRAX app through the receiver's touchscreen display.
Parental Lock: This unit features an 8-level Parental Lock system protected by a user-selected 4-digit password to prevent certain DVD's from being played back on the AVH-P8400BH.
Off Insert/Eject: A disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback. When you eject a disc, the unit will automatically power off (unless you switch sources before ejecting the disc).
Installation Angle: Optimum disc playback performance is obtained when the unit is installed at an angle of less than 30-degrees.
Firmware Updates: New firmware will be released for the purpose of additional features or product improvements. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the Pioneer website onto a SD card, or a preloaded SD card can be shipped to you from Pioneer.
iPod/iPhone Connection: The Pioneer multimedia head unit supports both audio/video & app playback from a compatible iPod or iPhone. Select the appropriate cable for your model Apple device and media content.
- Audio Only: Using Pioneer's dock connector-to-USB cable (130CDIU51, sold separately) or the dock connector-to-USB cable which comes with your iPod/iPhone, you can enjoy audio playback of your stored music and Pandora Internet Radio on your iPod or iPhone through the Pioneer A/V head unit. If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5; you will need the Pioneer CD-IU51 iPod Cable (sold separately) and the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter (472LTN230P, sold separately) to connect the Apple device to the Pioneer head unit. The head unit does not support direct connection of the Lightning-connector cable that comes with the iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5.
- Audio/Video: Using the Pioneer CD-IU201V iPod/iPhone connector cable (130IU201V, sold separately) you can enjoy audio playback, plus video playback of movies, TV shows, video podcasts, and music videos stored on your iPod/iPhone; as well as music or video based apps streamed to your iPhone. Not compatible with iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5.
- Audio/Video + Apps: The Pioneer CD-IU201S iPhone/App cable (130IU201S, sold separately) not only provides audio/video playback, but also allows you to launch the Advance App Mode on your iPhone 4/4S, for playback of advance applications (such as navigation and internet radio) on the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH. You can also connect your iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1+) to access audio/video files and Advance App Mode using Pioneer's CD-IV202AV cable kit, an Apple Lightning-to-USB Cable, and Apple Lighting-to-VGA adapter (all sold separately); also requires your iPhone 5 be paired via Bluetooth and a Firmware update from Pioneer's website.
Note: Video can only be displayed while the vehicle is in park with the parking brake engaged.
iPod/iPhone Control: The Pioneer AVH-P8400BH lets you control your iPod/iPhone from the head unit's touchscreen or from the iPod/iPhone's touchscreen or clickwheel.
- Head Unit: From the head unit, you can search your iPod/iPhone's audio/video content by Video Playlist, Movie, Music Video, Video Podcast, TV Show, Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook (your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked). Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically (A-Z). In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder.
- Passenger Control: The Passenger Control mode allows you to navigate stored audio/video content from your connected iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. This is very useful for the person riding in your passenger seat.
App Control: The Pioneer AVH-P8400BH supports the playback of streamed apps from select iPhones. You can select between the basic App mode or the Advanced App mode.
- App Mode: App mode lets you listen to your favorite music apps, such as iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Last.fm, Rhapsody, & Slacker from your iPhone (iOS 3.0+) through the Pioneer head unit and your vehicle's speakers (see above "Audio Only" section for required cable). You can also watch video on the Pioneer A/V receiver's touchscreen from streaming movie apps, such as Netflix & YouTube, downloaded on your iPhone 4/4S (iOS 4.0+); using the CD-IU201V cable (sold separately). Not all apps will be compatible with App Mode and App Mode will provide only limited (basic), if any, control over the app. Available controls may include; Play/Pause & Skip Previous/Next. The App Mode's video functions can only be accessed when the vehicle is in park and the hand-brake is fully engaged.
- Advanced App Mode: Using the Pioneer
iPhone/App cable (sold separately) to connect the AVH-P8400BH to your iPhone
4/4S (iOS 4.2+) loaded with Pioneer's free
AppRadio application from iTunes, you can enjoy full on-screen access
and control of your calendar, maps, and more with an intuitive interface,
formatted and designed specifically for safer in-vehicle operation. The same
can be done with the iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1+) using Pioneer's
CD-IV202AV cable kit, an
Apple Lightning-to-USB Cable, and
Apple Lightning-to-VGA adapter (all sold separately). Pioneer has teamed
up with app providers to offer compatibility with many of today's most
popular in-vehicle apps, while also developing an expanding catalog of
compatible apps for future use that can be easily & seamlessly added. The
AppRadio app must be first launched from your iPhone, and the compatible app
selected from the iPhone. You can then operate the app from the Pioneer head
unit. Popular apps include:
- MotionX-GPS Drive Navigation Ready: The MotionX-GPS Drive App ($0.99) is available from iTunes for your iPhone 4/4S (not compatible w/ iPhone 5). There is a $2.99 per month subscription fee with an additional $19.99 per year for Voice Guidance feature. MotionX-GPS Drive is a complete GPS navigation solution, designed and optimized for the iPhone, that can be displayed on the Pioneer AppRadio. MotionX-GPS Drive helps you find what you're looking for and provides turn-by-turn directions with optional Live Voice Navigation, using industry-leading maps (including US and Canada). All the functionality of an advanced dedicated turn-by-turn GPS unit is presented in this intuitive iPhone application. MotionX-GPS Drive Offers full support for the iPhone with multitasking, routing, and live voice guidance instructions continuing in the background; while you listen to streaming music from your car audio system or use other applications from the iPhone. The 2D/3D navigation map will be displayed on the Pioneer AppRadio, but you will still control the MotionX-GPS Drive Navigation app from your iPhone.
- INRIX Traffic: INRIX is a leading provider of highly accurate traffic services. INRIX's strategic partnership with Clear Channel Radio and Total Traffic Network extends the delivery of the highest quality data and broadest coverage available for personal navigation. The INRIX Traffic app ($24.95 per month) provides real-time traffic information and traffic forecasts for all major highways, interstates, arterials and city streets nationwide. Traffic information will be displayed on the Pioneer head unit, while control is still handled from the iPhone.
- Extra Mile: All-in-one app for convenient voice navigation gives audio feedback to improve your driving performance and conserve fuel
- DashCommand: Utilizing the built-in GPS & accelerometer sensors of the iPhone, the DashCommand app ($49.99) displays advanced vehicle and driving statistics. When connected to a compatible vehicle's OBD-II data port (optional OBD-II interface sold separately from Palmer Performance Engineering), advanced data monitoring, logging and analysis are enabled. Users can create and display up to 27 virtual dashboards with many styles including digital gauges, analog gauges, indicator lights, and more, which can all be accessed on the Pioneer head unit's screen. Compatible with more than 13 OBD-II compliant interfaces, the app can also be used as a scan tool to read vehicle trouble codes.
- Rdio: Get access and control the iTunes Rdio app (from $4.99 per month). Rdio is a new social music service on the web for the iPhone. Rdio give you access to over 8 million songs. You are able to search and find any song, album or artist, and start listening immediately. You can search music by new releases and chart toppers. You can also check out what other listeners have been listening to the most, or look at your own recent listening history. In addition, you can even create your own music collection or make your own playlists. Rdio will even recommend music for you, based on your previous music listening. The AppRadio will display Artist, Album, and Song information; as well as Album art.
- Livio Radio: The Livio Radio app ($4.99) lets you listen to more than 42,000 AM/FM and Internet-only radio streams from around the world. The Livio Radio app has been optimized for use in the vehicle with a range of features an controls right from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen.
- AUPEO! Personal Radio: AUPEO! Personal Radio is a free online music radio station that lets you stream your favorite artists, songs, and music live to your iPhone. With more than 120 Internet radio stations available, users can search for their favorite music by artists, songs or AUPEO!'s "Mood-Tuner." Users can also choose to "love" or "ban" songs directly from the Pioneer head unit's screen, enabling the app to adjust content to the user's personal taste.
- StreamS HiFi: The StreamS HiFi Radio app ($4.99) provides access to more than 4,000 live Internet radio stations from across the globe delivered in AAC/HE-AACv1/HE-AACv2 at 32kbps for high fidelity listening.
- MIXTRAX: Pioneer's proprietary MIXTRAX app from iTunes analyzes the music in your iTunes library to create custom playlists for non-stop song mixes with added DJ effects.
Note: As the library of Advance App compatible applications grows, users will be automatically notified via Pioneer's AppRadio iPhone application, with a link to the respective app(s) page within the App Store. Visit the Pioneer AppRadio Site for the latest compatible apps.
Pandora App: The free Pandora App lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH using your connected Apple iPhone, via the proprietary Pioneer iPod connector cable (sold separately) or the USB/iPod dock cable that came with your iPhone. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS.3.0+) with the latest version of the Pandora Radio application from Apple's iTunes App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account. The Pioneer AVH-P8400BH will provide control over the Pandora music service & display Artist, Album, & Song information; as well as Album art.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- QuickMix: QuickMix allows you to listen to songs played on one or more Pandora stations in your Station List randomly. You will need to edit your QuickMix station selections on the iPhone before connection.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada & only available in the United States.
iPod/iPhone Display: The multimedia head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information, as well as metadata from Pandora, Aha Radio, and Advance Apps; including Track number, Folder number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art. There is no music information displayed when this unit is set to 'basic App mode'. Instead, all music information will be displayed on your iPod/iPhone's LCD screen.
iPod Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit will not charge the Apple iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer AVH-P8400BH is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 1/31/20123):
|iPod/iPhone||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/App Mode||Pandora App||Advance App Mode||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art|
- *Audio playback from iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), iPhone 5, iPad 4, and iPad mini requires the Pioneer CD-IU51 iPod Cable (sold separately) and the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter (both sold separately).
- **Video Playback and Advanced App Modes for the iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1+) requires Pioneer's CD-IV202AV cable kit, an Apple Lightning-to-USB Cable, and Apple Lighting-to-VGA adapter (all sold separately). The AVH-P8400BH will also require a Firmware update from Pioneer's website.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
MusicSphere: Pioneer's new proprietary MusicSphere technology allows you to enjoy your music in a new way by creating unique mood-based playlists via iTunes for your Apple iOS device. When installed on your Windows PC, the MusicSphere iTunes plug-in software will analyze the entire music library and create specialized playlists based on various musical attributes such as feeling (bright, energetic, gloomy, relaxing calm), rhythm pattern, beats per minute (BPM), year of the song and/or date added to the device. Additionally, through the MusicSphere, you can select preferred parameters of your music to create a "DJ Playlist". You can download MusicSphere directly to your Windows PC from the Pioneer website.
Bluetooth Technology: The AVH-P8400BH is equipped with built-in Bluetooth ver. 3.0 (powered by Parrot) allowing to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), HSP (Head Set Profile), OPP (Object Push Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Phone Pairing: Up to 5 Bluetooth-compatible devices can be registered to this head unit. Only one device can be used at a time. Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH.
Hands-Free Communication: The AVH-P8400BH supports wireless hands-free communication (HFP/HSP/OPP/PBAB) for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker during an incoming call. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call. The AVH-P8400BH allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode. Using the AVH-P8400BH, you can dial a phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: You can make a call by entering the phone number using the head unit's on-screen keypad (0-9, *, #, +, C).
- Speed (Preset) Dialing: You can easily store up to six phone numbers as presets for speed dialing.
- Phone Book: The phone book in your Bluetooth enabled cellular phone will be transferred automatically when the phone is paired to this unit. After finding the number you want to call in the phone book, you can select the entry and make the call. If a lot of numbers are registered in the phone book, you can search for the phone number by alphabet search mode.
- Call Log: The 80 most recent calls dialed, received, and missed are stored in memory. You can browse them and call numbers from these lists.
Note: Advanced phone operations that require attention, such as dialing numbers on the monitor or adjusting Bluetooth settings, are prohibited while driving. The vehicle must be in park to access these functions.
External Microphone: During your wireless phone call, you can talk into the head unit's included external microphone, and listen to the other party through the vehicle's speaker system. The external microphone provides better performance in noisy environments than the integrated microphone found on the front-panel of many aftermarket or factory radios. The microphone features a 13' cord that plugs into the back of the radio, and comes with an adjustable visor-mount clip. The microphone measures 0.475" (diameter) x 1.445" (depth). The unit is not equipped with an integrated microphone. The external microphone must be installed for Bluetooth hands-free communication.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Pioneer AVH-P8400BH also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The AVH-P8400BH will be able to control basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music; such as Play/Pause, Skip Next/Previous, and Fast Forward/Rewind. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Song and Album title. The AVH-P8400BH also supports audio streaming of select music apps from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, but without control or metadata. You will continue to use your Bluetooth enabled smartphone to view and control streaming music apps. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Note: The Pioneer head unit requires an optional Bluetooth firmware update (HW05-SW01.27.20) to enable Bluetooth AVRCP control and metadata display for the iPhone 5 or other Apple iOS6 device. If you do not own an iPhone 5 or iOS6 device, there is no need to install this update.
24-Bit/96kHz DAC: For superb quality audio playback from DVDs, CDs, and flash media, the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH is equipped with a 24-bit/96kHz digital-to-analog converter.
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: This receiver is equipped with a 50 watts x 4 (peak) MOSFET amplifier for low distortion, high power output. The amplifier is strong enough to power small subwoofers to moderate volume levels in compact cars and pickups. For higher volume levels from subwoofers, an optional amplifier may be connected to the preamp outputs.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the AVH-P8400BH are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
EEQ (Easy EQ): There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2.
8-Band Graphic EQ: The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 8-band graphic equalizer (40Hz, 80Hz, 200Hz, 400Hz, 1kHz, 2.5kHz, 8kHz, and10kHz).
Auto EQ (Optional): The auto-equalizer automatically measures your car's interior acoustic characteristics, and then creates an auto-equalizer curve base on that information. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone (130CDMC20, sold separately) is required to use this function. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone plugs into the Pioneer multimedia receiver's 3.5mm mic input (located behind the motorized touchcscreen). The Auto-EQ microphone should be placed in the center of your vehicle's driver seat headrest facing forward for EQ measurement.
Sonic Center Control: Sound that is suited for the listening position can easily be created with this function. You can adjust sound more toward the listening position left (7) to right (7).
Loudness: The Loudness function compensates for deficiencies in the low- and high-frequency ranges at low volume. You can set the Loudness to High, Mid, Low, or Off.
Bass Boost: You can easily boost the subwoofer bass level by using the Bass Boost function. The Bass Boost feature allows you increase the subwoofer level from 0 to +6 (12dB).
Advanced Sound Retriever: The Advanced Sound Retriever automatically enhances compressed audio and restores the original richness of the recording. When the Advanced Sound Retriever is on, the high frequency range is compensated to match the frequency response curve to the original sound. There are two available levels of the Advanced Sound Retriever effect.
Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the volume level of the FM tuner, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4 dB to +4 dB.
4V/6ch Preamp Outputs: The Pioneer AVH-P8400BH is equipped with three 4.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The front and rear speakers are fading with high-pass crossover filters, while the subwoofer output is non-fading with a low-pass crossover filter.
- Front & Rear Preamp Outputs: If you do not want low frequency sounds to play from the front or rear speaker preamp outputs (or speaker outputs), you can turn on the 12dB/octave High Pass Filter. The HPF has a selectable cutoff frequency (50, 63, 80, 100, or 125 Hz). Only frequencies higher than those in the selected range are output through the speakers.
- Subwoofer Output: The unit has a pair of dedicated non-fading RCA subwoofer outputs with a low-pass filter, phase adjustment, and output level. When the subwoofer output is turned on, you can select the frequency of the 18dB/octave low pass filter (50, 63, 80, 100, or 125 Hz), select the subwoofer phase (normal/reverse), and the subwoofer gain (+6 to -24).
Telephone Mute/Attenuator: Sound from your system is muted or attenuated automatically when a phone signal is received when you have hardwired your mobile phone system to the mute wire (yellow/black) of this unit.
Dual AV Inputs: The Pioneer AVH-P8400BH has dual AV inputs to connect two external audio/video sources. The head unit has a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack AV input for connecting a portable audio/video device. There is also a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA AV input for connecting a video component such as a mobile TV tuner or game console. The rear-panel 3.5mm minijack input also serves as the A/V input for your USB-connected iPod/iPhone (using the proprietary Pioneer cable).
AV Output (with Dual Zone): The AVH-P8400BH features a rear-panel composite video/stereo minijack audio output that allows rear seat passenger to enjoy audio or video content on additional rear seat monitors and headphones, even while the front passenger and driver listen to audio from other sources or operate navigation functions simultaneously. You can playback audio/video content from a Disc, your iPod/iPhone (not iPhone 5), and the AV inputs in the rear zone; or your can simply have the rear AV output mirror the head unit's selected source. You can select the unit to output a 16:9, Letter-Box or Pan-Scan aspect ratio to match your external display's screen size. You cannot play DivX files on the unit's monitor and a connected external monitor at the same time.
Rear View Camera: The AVH-P8400BH is equipped with a composite video Rear View Camera input. The unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear camera image (Rear View Camera input jack) when an optional rear camera (130NDBC5, sold separately) is installed. When the transmission is in reverse, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (the violet/white wire in the AVH-P8400BH's harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.7 seconds. Pioneer recommends using a camera with a mirror image (reversed) output. Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
Navigation Ready: The Pioneer AVH-P8400BH allows you to connect the Pioneer AVIC-U250 add-on navigation unit (sold separately) through its RGB Input. This versatile hideaway unit allows you to switch to navigation mode with the touch of a button. Get to your destination by inputting an address or search through the POI library while enjoying whatever source is currently playing.
Note: If you are already using the head unit's RGB input to access Advance App Mode from your iPhone, then you cannot connect this add-on navigation module (or vise-versa).
Wireless Remote Control: The Pioneer AVH-P8400BH includes an IR remote control (CD-R33) for wireless operation of the multimedia head unit and your connected devices.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.