Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Pioneer Stage 4 PRS-A900
4-channel car amplifier 50 watts RMS x 4
Item # 130A900 | MFR # PRS-A900
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Pioneer Stage 4 PRS-A900 by Crutchfield's Buck Pomerantz
Pure power from Pioneer
Why let your amp be the weak link in your audio chain? Pioneer has gone to extreme lengths to ensure that you'll get exceptional power and performance in your vehicle with the Stage 4 PRS-A900. This precision-built 4-channel amplifier was designed from the ground up to deliver rich, audiophile sound quality for the mobile environment.
The PRS-A900 produces 50 watts RMS by four channels, or 100 watts RMS per channel in 2-channel mode. Independent power supplies ensure that both channels get the juice they need, even when there's heavier demand on one channel than the other. Pioneer developed their own power supply capacitors to keep output smooth when you're driving the amp hard. And the circuit design exerts tight control over speaker cone movement for extreme accuracy.
Vibration is an amp's worst enemy — it can cause distortion and shorten an amp's life span. Pioneer developed its "H" style chassis to absorb incoming vibrations and protect the internal components. The PRS-A900's power transistors are installed on copper mounting plates to further shield them from vibration and noise. Heavy-duty, gold-plated block terminals accept power, ground, and speaker wiring.
Translation? The PRS-A900 is all about low noise and high performance. If your goal is pure sound quality, this amp will give you the most accurate reproduction possible.
Pioneer's Stage 4 System
Check out all the products in Pioneer's Stage 4 System, including receiver, speakers, subs, and amps.
I had JL audio 900/5 running to front and rear focal 165 KRX2 components. I felt sound was not solid enough and I replaced the amp with this PRS-A900. Now I have the true sound from my speakers.
What's in the Box:
- 4-Channel amplifier with attached terminal covers
- 11 Plastic wire ties (Length=4")
- 4 Self-tapping screws (4mm x 18mm)
- 4mm Allen wrench
- 2mm Allen wrench
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty sheet
- 4-channel car amplifier
- 50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (50 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
- 100 watts RMS x 2 in bridged mode (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- preamp inputs and outputs
- independent power supplies for right and left channels
- proprietary power supply capacitors
- "H" style chassis shields interior components from vibration
- fuse rating: 25A x 2
- signal-to-noise ratio: 108 dB
- 8-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 15"W x 2-5/8"H x 11-1/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Pioneer Stage 4 PRS-A900 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
50 x 4
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||50 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||100 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||10-100k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||108 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||N/A|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||N/A|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||N/A|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||N/A|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Pioneer PRS Series: The Pioneer PRS series amplifiers cleanly amplify the music signal, free of distortion or added color. PRS amplifiers feature separate left and right independent signal circuitry that eliminates signal interference between the channels, and achieves excellent channel separation throughout a wider frequency range.
High-grade Circuitry: The PRS-A900 is built using high-grade circuits and parts, resulting in distortion-free sound quality, vibration elimination, and enhanced stability. Some of the technologies include:
- Left/Right Independent Power Supply: Large, independently mounted DC-to-DC converter power supplies direct electric current with superior stability and effectiveness. The DC-DC power supply is mounted away from the amplification circuitry and isolated with dividers to prevent jitter noise and to improve the signal-to-noise ratio.
- Filter-less Design: The PRS-A900's filter-less design means there are no built-in crossovers for the purest sonic reproduction possible.
- Current Feedback-type Amplifier Circuit: Current feedback-type circuitry results in a high slew rate of 70V/µsec, allowing for precise output gain while perfectly following a sharp rise of input signal and wide range linear amplification of input signal for very low distortion while driving high output power.
- H-shaped Chassis: The amplifier's H-shaped chassis and copper-plated power transistor mounts absorb external distortion-causing vibration 25% faster than conventional chassis designs. By stabilizing the amp and its internal components, audio reproduction remains faithful, accurate, and noise-free.
Independent Gain Controls: The PRS-A900 has independent 4-channel rotary gain controls. You can set the input sensitivity for the left front (channel A), right front (channel A), left rear (channel B), and right rear (channel B) from 0.4V to 6.5V. In addition, you can set the amplifier for 2-channel or 4-channel operation, depending upon how many inputs are connected.
Beat Frequency Control: If you hear a beat while listening to an AM radio broadcast, you can change the position of the BFC switch (located under the Pioneer badge on top of the amplifier) with a small flathead screwdriver.
Connections: For a clean installation, the amp's connections are located on the ends of the amplifier under removable terminal covers. The power and speaker connectors all have slots that allow you to secure the cables with the supplied 4" plastic wire ties. The connections include:
- Left Side of Amp:
- Input: stereo RCA jacks for line-level input signal
- Right Side of Amp:
- Right Channel Speaker: set screw terminals for front and rear channels capable of accepting up to 12 gauge wire
- Fuses: two 25A ATO fuses
- Power: set screw terminal capable of accepting up to 4 gauge wire
- System Control: set screw terminal capable of accepting up to 12 gauge wire
- Ground: set screw terminal capable of accepting up to 4 gauge wire
- Left Channel Speakers: set screw terminals for front and rear channels capable of accepting up to 12 gauge wire
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
1 answer Are you thrilled with this amp? What speakers are you driving with it? I am somewhat concerned with the low 50/4 rating but some have said this is plenty of power. Also, Pioneer would not be may first choice for a high end amp. Is it build well and does it give you clean crisp sound? Would you buy again? Sorry, I know, lots of questions on this amp. I was leaning towards either Focal or JL Audio until I saw this amp and seemingly reduced price tag. THANK YOU. [ Mike Oct 25, 2014 ]
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: The Pioneer Stage 4 PRS-A900 is a really great amp and at a fabulous price! It has high quality circuitry and gives really clean and accurate sound: low noise, high performance. Yes, it is well built and gives clean, crisp sound. I'd only recommend going another direction if you have speakers that are less efficient or need more power. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Oct 31, 2014 ] Staff