Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Add-on GPS navigation system
Our take on the Pioneer AVIC-U220 by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
Pioneer's AVIC-U220 navigation system adds GPS guidance to many 2010-up Pioneer in-dash multimedia receivers. You'll get to your destination with maximum efficiency, while enjoying instant access to restaurants, gas stations, museums, and other points of interest along the way.
Accurate and comprehensive navigation
Once you've plugged the AVIC-U220 into your compatible receiver, you'll take control with your Pioneer's touchscreen controls. You can choose a destination by entering a specific street address or intersection, or by selecting a hotel, restaurant, shop, or another of the twelve million points of interest. The Tele Atlas map database covers the entire United States and Canada in detail. You can choose from 2D or 3D map views, and the voice guidance ensures you won't miss a turn. Need a map upgrade? Just plug the detachable module into your PC or use its SD card slot to enter new mapping data as it becomes available.
With Pioneer's free AVIC Feeds PC software, you can log and archive your driving data to optimize your fuel efficiency, as well as develop your own custom points of interest.
What's in the Box:
- Add-on navigation module (installed in dock)
- 6.5' Navigation cable (terminated by a proprietary connector on each end)
- 5' Power/ground harness
- 51" USB cable (with a USB type-A connector on one end and a mini-USB type-B connector on other end)
- Magnetic GPS antenna (with attached 12' cable)
- Self-adhesive magnetic pad
- 2 Velcro strips
- 4 Mounting screws
- Operation Manual CD-ROM (Eng/Fre)
- Quick Start Guide (Eng/Fre)
- Installation Manual (Eng/Fre)
- Important Information for the User (Eng/Fre)
- Online Product Registration sheet
- "Care when removing or attaching the detachable device" note
- Warranty Card (US/Canada)
- add-on navigation system for compatible 2010-up Pioneer in-dash multimedia receivers
- GPS satellite antenna included
- built-in road maps of the United States (including Alaska and Hawaii) and Canada
- over 12 million points of interest available as a free upgrade from Pioneer when you register the product (250,000 POI standard)
- maps displayed on your multimedia receiver's video screen
- voice prompts offer turn-by-turn guidance
- multi-destination route planning
- automatic rerouting for missed turns
- route customization options
- AVIC Feeds software available for driving analysis and custom Points of Interest
- trip computer
- SD card slot and USB input for map updates
- 20-channel GPS receiver
- 3-3/8"W x 1-1/8"H x 6-3/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Pioneer AVIC-U220 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Compatibility: The Pioneer AVIC-U220 Add-on Navigation System is compatible with the following 2010 Pioneer AVH-series navigation-ready multimedia head units.
- AVH-P2300DVD, AVH-P2400BT
- AVH-P3200DVD, AVH-P3200BT
- AVH-P4200DVD, AVH-P4300DVD
- AVH-P5200DVD, AVH-P5200BT
Flash Memory Navigation: The AVIC-U220 offers a comprehensive map database from Tele Atlas stored on its built-in 2GB flash-memory which covers the entire United States, Canada, Alaska, and Hawaii; enabling you to route to millions of destinations.
GPS Technology: The unit has a 20-channel GPS receiver with a magnetic antenna included. The AVIC-U220 accurately measures your current location by the Global Positioning System, a network of satellites orbiting the earth to give you time and position information. The accuracy of the GPS information depends upon how good the reception is.
Note: The GPS antenna can be installed outside our inside the vehicle. The antenna measures 1.3125" (w) x 0.5625" x 1.4375" (d); with a 12' cable.
2D/3D Map: The Pioneer AVIC-U220 allows you to view a detailed city map on its integrated monitor in 2D or 3D. You can choose to orient the map in one of two ways; show North at the top of the screen, or show the direction in which you are heading at the top. You can also select between brightness modes - Day (for a bright background), Night (for a black background) or Auto (to automatically switch between the two). Most of the information provided by the navigation system can be seen on the onscreen map. You can change the map scale between 25 yards and 1,000 miles (25 meters and 2,000 kilometers).
Note: The unit's 3D map is fixed in the direction you are heading at the top of the screen.
Voice Guidance: In addition to graphical on-screen directions and maps, the AVIC-U220 provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions. You can choose a male or female voice in English, French, or Spanish.
Lane Guidance: In certain locations of a freeway, lane information is available, indicating the recommended lane to be in to easily maneuver the next instruction.
Destination Search: The Pioneer AVIC-U220's built-in navigation system allows you to search for your destination by Home (saved home address), Address (City/Street/House #), POI (points-of-interest), Favorites (up to 400 locations), Recent History (up to 100 locations), and Coordinates (latitude/longitude). You can also select a point on the map to be your destination by simply touching the screen.
POIs: The Pioneer AVIC-U220 features only 250,000 points-of-interest. You can obtain 12 million POIs by registering the unit on Pioneer's website. You will need an SD-memory card (2-4GB) to download the POIs from your computer. The SD card will need to remain in the AVIC-U220 to use the updated 12 million point-of-interest.
Note: Visit http:www.pioneernavigationupdate.com for more information.
Parking Brake Safety: The parking brake must be engaged to operate all, but some of the simplest navigation functions. Destination history and some local POI functions are still available without the parking brake.
Route Calculation: The AVIC-U220 calculates the route based on your preferences. You can have the navigation system calculate your route based on the following selections.
- Route Method: You can choose from different route types (Fast, Shortest, or Major).
- Road Types: To let the route fit your needs, you can also set which road types (Ferry, Freeway, Toll Road) are to be considered for or to be excluded from the route if possible.
- Time Restrictions: This setting control whether streets or bridges that have traffic restrictions during a certain time should be taken into account.
Itinerary: The Itinerary is a detailed list of the route events or driving instructions.
Waypoints: During an active route, you can insert additional waypoints (intermediate destinations) preceding the destination. You can insert up to 5 waypoints. Every time a new point is added, the route is recalculated automatically and you can start navigating right away.
Eco-Driving Function: This navigation system is equipped with an Eco-driving function that can be used to estimate whether you are driving in an environmentally friendly way.
- Echo Graph: This function estimates approximate fuel mileage based on your driving, compares that with your average fuel mileage in the past, and displays the results in a graph. The ECO Graph feature provides a view in addition to 2D and 3D, which divides the map view screen with a new graph to provide drivers with a visual representation of their environmental impact.
- Gas Mileage: You can estimate the fuel cost to your destination by entering in approximate fuel price per gallon.
- Eco Drive Level Guidance: This
navigation is equipped with the Eco Drive Level function that estimates how
well you have driven in an environmentally friendly way based on your Eco
Score. When a route is set, the unit will calculate a Drive Score based on
driving efficiency which factors abrupt stops and accelerations and idle
time. Your Eco Score is calculated from the following:
- Speed: indicates the speed detected (this indication may be different from actual speed of vehicle)
- Acceleration/Deceleration: indicates acceleration or deceleration velocity of your vehicle
- Distance: indicates driving distance
- Incline: indicates the degree of slope of the street that you are currently on
- Sudden Start Alert: If the speed of the vehicle exceeds 25.5 mph within 5 seconds from the time it is started, a message appears and a warning sound beeps.
Note: The fuel mileage calculated is based on a theoretical value determined from vehicle speed and position information from the navigation system. The fuel mileage displayed is only a reference value, and does not guarantee the mileage displayed can be obtained.
Travel History: The Track Logger feature enables you to record your driving (travel) history to the unit's built-in flash memory or an inserted SD card.
Route Simulation: A simulation drives you through the route, following the driving instructions.
Auto Reroute: If you deviate from the set route, the system will recalculate the route from that point so that you remain on track to your destination.
AVIC Feeds: Through Pioneer's proprietary AVIC Feeds PC software, the unit can estimate the fuel cost of trip routes through detailed Drive Reports. Through a proprietary fuel consumption algorithm, AVIC Feeds can also log and archive driving data and analyze driving habits to generate various reports with suggestions to improve fuel efficiency. You can also create custom Points of Interest (POIs) by using the AVIC Feeds utility program. Once created, you can store the POI on an external storage device, such as an SD card, and upload the information to the unit. In addition, using the AVIC Feeds software and an SD card, users can also download the Clock and Photo View applications. These applications give you access to five different clock views and a slideshow of personal photos, complete with transition effects for use as alternative screensavers to the map view. The Pioneer AVIC Feeds PC software is available on the Pioneer website (pioneerelectronics.com).
Map Updates: The Pioneer AVIC-U220's navigation module detaches from its base so you can take it with you inside the house to connect to your PC for Map updates, Software upgrades, and AVIC Feeds. The unit features a mini-USB type-B port and comes with a USB cable to connect to your PC. The unit also features an SD-card slot to download Map updates, Software upgrades, and AVIC Feeds from Pioneer's website.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.