Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Connect your iPod® or iPhone® with Lightning connector to select Pioneer in-dash stereos
Our take on the Pioneer CD-IU52 by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
If your iPod or iPhone has a Lightning connector, you can use this 20-inch long cable to connect to your Pioneer car stereo and leave the cable that came with your iPod in the house. And you'll enjoy optimal charging speed when your iPod is connected, since this cable is fully compatible with the 1-amp USB outputs on newer Pioneer receivers. This cable only supports audio playback — it will not transfer video to your receiver. Warranty: 1 year.
Allows me to use my iphone's ipod functions on the head unit screen. What more could I ask for. Great product!
Avonn, Laurel, MD
What's in the Box:
- 20" Lightning-to-USB iPod/iPhone cable (w/ a Lightning-connector on one end and a USB type-A connector on other end)
- Disposal information
Pioneer CD-IU52 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Adapter Type||iPod audio in w/ iPod control|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Lightning Connector/USB Interface Cable: Use the Pioneer CD-IU52 Lightning/USB interface cable to plug a new iPod, iPhone, or iPad with a Lightning-connector directly into a Pioneer head unit's USB port, and gain full, direct, adapter-free control via the receiver's interface. Enjoy fast charging of your compatible Apple device while the direct digital connection assures you get the utmost sound quality from your stored music and music apps.
iPod Audio Playback w/ DAC Bypass: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to your Pioneer head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter. The CD-IU52 supports audio playback of stored music, podcasts, audiobooks, and music apps on your iPod/iPhone through your compatible Pioneer head unit. You can choose to operate your iPod/iPhone through your head unit's front-panel controls, from its clickwheel/touchscreen, or via a streamed app from your iPhone.
- Head Unit: From your Pioneer head unit, you can browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Playlist, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook (your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked). Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically. In addition, the head unit offers Link Play, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Play lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder. The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, and Song/Artist/Album name.
- iPod: In iPod mode, you can navigate the stored music on your iPod/iPhone from its clickwheel or touchscreen, while still being able to view song/artist information on the head unit's LCD.
- App Mode: App mode lets you listen to your favorite music apps from your iPhone (iOS 5.0+) through the Pioneer head unit and your vehicle's speakers. Not all apps will be compatible with App Mode and App Mode will provide only limited (basic), if any, control over the app. Available controls may include Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track. The App's Name (i.e. "AUPEO!) and song/artist information will be displayed on the head unit's LCD screen (when applicable, depending on app).
Note: There is no video output.
Pandora App: The free Pandora App lets you play music from the Pandora music service through your Pioneer head unit using your connected Apple iPhone, via this Pioneer Lightning/USB interface cable. To access Pandora, you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) with the latest version of the Pandora Radio application from Apple's iTunes App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account. In combination with the CD-IU52 cable, your Pioneer head unit will provide control over the Pandora music service and display Artist/Album/Song information.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- Shuffle Station List: You can listen to songs played randomly from various stations within your Station List.
- New Stations: New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song/artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada & only available in the United States.
Charging: This USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer CD-IU52 Lightning/USB cable is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions when connected to a compatible Pioneer head unit (as of 2/19/2015):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||App Mode||Pandora App||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Too many perks and it's the best stereo system you can get [ Michael Jan 11, 2017 ]
For my Pioneer Appradio 4 [ sharon Jan 04, 2017 ]
to use my mobile equipment [ Betty and Stuar Sep 06, 2016 ]
Updated phone [ GARY Aug 13, 2016 ]
Is needed to make complete [ jimmie Aug 02, 2016 ]
ipad integration [ Jon Jul 28, 2016 ]
compatible with Pioneer AVH-4100NEX [ Hilary Mar 02, 2016 ]
3 questions already asked
2 answers Does this cable allow the head unit to work with AppRadio applications on the phone; i.e., will it let me display navigation maps on the head unit (AVH-280BT)? A standard iPhone lightning cable does *not* work, and everything I read seems to say that the CD-IU52 will allow it. But I want to be sure. [ mcpierce Aug 07, 2016 ]
I believe it is a standard lightning cable. I never tried to get it working as you described, wife just uses it for music and the head unit has an internal NAV. Good luck 2u! [ Alexander Aug 09, 2016 ]
I don't use the app radio and I bought the add on navigation unit which works hreat [ William Aug 09, 2016 ]
It doesn't fit the iPhone 5 or 6 with life proof case. I use the original apple cable and it works with the radio [ Brandon Feb 10, 2016 ]
I trimmed my on the sides to make it fit. [ Jerron Feb 10, 2016 ]
No I trimmed the cable with razor [ William Feb 10, 2016 ]
What's the difference between using this pioneer brand USB cable and the original cable that came with my iphone/ipod? [ (unknown) Jun 16, 2014 ]
I don't show this cable as being compatible with the AVIC 910. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They may be able to help track down a compatible cable for you. [ Jeff Feb 17, 2014 ] Staff