Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Our take on the Pioneer DEH-P77DH
Does your GM or Chrysler vehicle have the oversized dash opening blues? Pioneer's DEH-P77DH CD receiver will boogie those blues away with great performance and an incredible list of features.
MOSFET45 high power will get your speakers jumping, while the tone-shaping Easy EQ and Front Image Enhancer transform your vehicle into a music-lover's paradise.
Three sets of preamp outputs make system expansion a breeze when you add external amplifiers. The built-in DFS alarm protects your vehicle from intruders (at least two relays required to operate alarm functions).
Like more entertainment options? The DEH-P77DH will control a compatible XM tuner, so you can enjoy over 120 channels of music, sports, news, entertainment, and much more (antenna and subscription also required). You can also warehouse your favorite discs by adding a Pioneer CD changer. For convenient system operation, a wireless remote is also included.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check the adapter's "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
Bought this to replace the sick factory unit in my 96 Yukon. I like the fact that it's a din and 1/2 like the original but that's where the simularities end. Very pleased with the sound and functions. Install was a breeze with Crutchfields guide. Don't know why I waited so long to upgrade!
What's in the Box:
- AM/FM/CD receiver
- Detachable face
- Wiring harness with 10-amp fuse
- Chrysler and GM Brackets and mounting hardware
- CXB4285 wireless remote
- CR2032 lithium battery
- 2 "WARNING security system on board" window stickers
- Manual (English/French)
- Installation manual (English and French)
- Warranty Card
- Note on setting the clock
- CD receiver with built-in MOSFET45 amplifier (22 watts RMS/45 peak x 4 channels)
- plays CDs and CD-Rs
- fits the 3" tall dash openings in many Chrysler and GM vehicles
- detachable face with multicolor display
- rotary volume control
- remote control
- Easy EQ with six presets and a 3-band parametric EQ
- Front Image Enhancer sends only low frequencies to rear speakers (switchable)
- compatible with Pioneer iPod adapter
- XM satellite radio-ready (tuner, antenna, and service subscription required)
- optional auxiliary input
- CD changer controls
- 6-channel preamp outputs (front, rear, subwoofer)
Other features and specs
- DFS alarm (relays required)
- seek tuning
- CD frequency response: 5-20,000 Hz
- CD signal-to-noise ratio: 94 dB
- FM sensitivity: 10 dBf
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Pioneer DEH-P77DH Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||XM|
|RMS Power Output||22 watts|
|Peak Output||45 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||50-15kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Green/Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||10 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
MOSFET Amplifier: This receiver is equipped with a 45 watts x 4 (peak) MOSFET amplifier for low distortion, high power output. The amplifier is strong enough to power small subwoofers to moderate volume levels in compact cars and pickups. For higher volume levels from subwoofers, an optional amplifier may be connected to the provided sets of preamp outputs.
Display/Button Illumination: The LED backlit multi-color display illuminates the frequency and CD track/time in white and the mode indicators and the select buttons guide in green. There is a bright blue EQ curve display in the left hand portion of the display that shows the frequency response characteristic of each curve (except the "CUSTOM" curve). The EEQ button illuminates in blue, and all other buttons are backlit with green illumination.
Easy-EQ (EEQ): This feature gives you a 3-Band Parametric EQ with Selectable Q Factor. You may select a low (40, 80, 100 or 160Hz), mid (200, 500, 1k or 2kHz) and high frequency (3k, 8k, 10k or 12kHz) to boost or cut. The Q factor (slope of the boost or cut) may be selected from one of the following four options: 2N (narrow/steep), 1N, 1W and 2W (wide/least steep). Selecting a narrow (steep) Q factor results in frequencies around the center frequency to be affected less by the boost or cut than they are with a wide Q factor. This feature is useful for taming frequency response problems caused by the dimensions, materials and speaker locations of a vehicle. A different "CUSTOM" curve can be set into memory for each source; the built-in CD player and optional CD changer are considered a single source, so they would share the same "CUSTOM" EQ curve.
Preset EQ Curves: This model has "POWERFUL", "NATURAL", "VOCAL", "CUSTOM", "EQ FLAT" and "SUPER BASS" preset EQ curves. The "CUSTOM" curve is one that you create and is stored in memory. There's an EQ curve display in the left hand portion of the display that shows the frequency response characteristic of each curve (except the "CUSTOM" curve; the displayed curve does not change with the settings you make to the custom curve).
F.I.E. (Front Image Enhancer) with Selectable Cutoff Frequency: Enhances the front image by cutting mid and high range frequencies to the rear speakers (and the preouts), limiting their output to low range frequencies. You may select a cutoff frequency of 100, 160 or 250Hz.
Adjustable Loudness: You can select "Low", "Mid" or "High" for different levels of loudness compensation.
Subwoofer/Non-fading Preamplified Outputs: In addition to the front and rear preamp outputs, there is one set of outputs that may be set for "subwoofer" or "non fading" output. When set to "non fading", the signal is full range and the output level is user selectable from 0 to 15. When set to "subwoofer", the outputs are non fading, and they may be set for normal or reverse phase, 50Hz, 80Hz or 125Hz low-pass output, and you can set the level from -6 to +6.
Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function prevents radical leaps in volume when switching between sources. To use this function, you compare the volume level of the sources (AM, CD/CD changer, AUX) to the FM level, then you adjust the sources level to match that heard when listening to FM. Since the reference level is based on the FM volume, SLA is not possible on FM.
Cellular Mute: Mutes audio when a cellular call is received, then restores the level once the call is over. To use this feature, you must have a cellular phone with a muting output that can be connected to the muting input wire of this unit.
Tuner: This receiver is equipped with Pioneer's proprietary Supertuner III, which provides excellent AM and FM performance.
Rotary Volume Control: A rotary volume control allows for easy volume level adjustment. Normally, the knob protrudes just slightly from the front of the face plate. To make the knob easier to turn, it may be made to stick out further from the face; to make the knob pop out, you simply press and release the knob. When the knob is in the extended position, pressing the knob inward returns the knob to it's normal, low-profile position.
Display Dimming: When the illumination wire of this unit is connected to the headlamp circuit of your vehicle, and you turn your lights on, the display will dim to a preset level. The display brightness is not affected by the vehicle's dimmer control.
CD Insert Auto Turn-on: When unit is off and a CD is inserted it will automatically turn on and play the CD.
Pause: The CD player has a pause feature, which also works for CDs played in optional Pioneer CD changers.
Disc Titling: You can store titles for up to 48 discs (when using a compatible Pioneer CD changer this increases to a total maximum of 100 discs). Each title may be up to 10 letters long.
CD Compatibility: This unit will play prerecorded CDs and finalized CD-Rs. The unit reviewed by Crutchfield played a CD-RW disc, but Pioneer does not claim compatibility with CD-RW discs. Results with CD-RW discs will vary depending on the quality of the discs; there are audio CD-RW discs that this unit will not play.
AUX Title Input: Allows you to input a title for the AUX input function; item 130CDRB10 (or item 130CDRB20), sold separately, is required to use the AUX input feature.
CXB4285 Wireless Remote Dimensions: L=3.630", H=0.261", W=1.559"
- Volume +/-
- Function button: Cycles through functions which allow you to set best station memory, local, CD track scan, CD pause, repeat, random etc
- Audio Button: Allows you to access EQ/Loud/SLA/fader/FIE
- Cursor buttons (up/down/left/right): Used for track/station seek, and to set levels within menus
- Escape/Band button: Cycles through tuner bands and allows you to exit from menu
- CD button: used to select CDs for playback
- Pause button: pauses CD playback
- Tuner button: selects tuner as source
- ATT (Mute) button: reduces volume by 90%
Note: This unit is also compatible with Pioneer's optional steering wheel remote (item 130CDSR100).
IP-Bus Controls: The DEH-P77D is equipped with IP-Bus control, which allows you to connect and control other Pioneer components. You can add a multi-disc CD changer, a satellite radio receiver, an auxiliary input adapter, or an iPod adapter. The DEH-P77D will only support one external device plugged into its iP-Bus connector.
XM Satellite Radio Compatible: This unit can control an optional XM receiver (130P920XM). XM satellite radio features high-quality music, news, talk, sports, entertainment, and children's programming. For a monthly subscription fee, you'll be able to receive satellite radio signals in your car using an optional antenna and receiver.
iPod Compatible: The optional Pioneer CD-IB100II iPod adaptor interface allows an iPod, iPod Mini, iPod photo, iPod nano, or iPod video portable digital music player with a dock connector to be hooked up to and controlled by the DEH-P77D.
CD Changer Controls: You can add an IP-Bus-compatible 6-disc or 12-disc Pioneer CD changer, and control it from the head unit. The unit feature the following CD-changer features.
- ITS (Instant Track Selection) Programming: The ITS function can be used to program automatic playback of up to 99 tracks per disc for up to 100 discs. With changers sold before the CDX-P1250 and CDX-P650, up to 24 tracks can be stored in the playlist.
- Direct Disc Selection: You can directly select discs 1-6 by pressing the corresponding button number on the front panel or remote. Discs 7-12 can be selected by pressing and holding the corresponding button number, such as button 1 for disc 7, etc.
- CD Track Scan: The beginning of each track on the selected disc plays for about 10 seconds before moving onto the next track and continues until you make your selection.
- CD Text Display: When used with a CD Text-compatible Pioneer CD changer, this unit will display the titles of CD Text encoded discs that are played in the changer. When playing a CD Text disc on a CD Text compatible changer, you cannot switch to the Disc Title Input mode. CD Text disc titles, artist names and track titles longer than 8 characters may be scrolled once to reveal the entire string of text by holding down the Display button.
- CD Sound Quality Adjustment: Using the "COMP" (compression) and "DBE" (dynamic bass emphasis) functions, you can adjust the playback quality of the changer. Each function may be set to one of two levels or off. The "COMP" function compresses the audio signal to eliminate distortions caused by the imbalances between the loudest and softest sounds when played at high volumes. The "DBE" function boosts bass frequencies to give your music a more full sound.
Note: For these functions to work, they must be supported by the Pioneer CD changer.
The DFS Alarm feature is defeatable. For those who do not want to use the
alarm feature at all, no alarm wires need be connected.
The alarm may be triggered by:
- Input from door pin switches
- Sensors (sold separately)
- Failure to put the face on the unit before the user selectable "Entry Delay Time" (settings range from 0 to 60 seconds in 5 second increments) runs out.
- Failure to insert and turn the ignition key from "OFF" to "ON" the predetermined number of times (dependent on whether the starter disable function is set to "ON" or "OFF" in the alarm menu.
When triggered, the alarm can respond in three ways:
- An alternating two tone output can be sent to the car speakers (this feature is defeatable). The level of output sent to the speakers is adjustable.
- The alarm can trigger a horn, siren, or parking lights relay (not included). The alarm output can be set to send a constant or pulsed output the relay.
- The alarm can trigger a starter kill relay (not included), so that the vehicle cannot be started. The starter disable is defeatable.
There are four methods of disarming the alarm:
- The alarm will disarm when the face is placed on the unit before the user selectable "Entry Delay Time" runs out. This method works regardless of whether the starter disable function is set to "ON" or "OFF" in the alarm menu.
- If the white/orange wire is connected to the unlock wire of a keyless entry system and the doors are unlocked via the keyless entry system, the alarm will disarm.
- If the starter disable function is turned off, the alarm may be disarmed by inserting the key into the ignition and turning the key from the "off" position to the "on" before the "Entry Delay Time" runs out.
- If the starter disable function is turned on, the alarm may be disarmed by inserting the key into the ignition (within the "Entry Delay Time") then the key is turned from "OFF" to "ON" five times within one minute.
There are five alarm wires (white/yellow, brown, white/red, white/orange and blue/brown) hardwired directly to the radio:
- The white/yellow wire is connected to door pin switch wiring (by selecting the appropriate setting in the alarm menu, the white/yellow wire will respond to ground output pin switches or 12V output switches).
- The brown wire can be made to send a constant 12V output to a siren or horn relay (not included) when the alarm is triggered, or it may be used to send a pulsed 12V output to a relay (not included) to flash parking lights (constant or pulsed operation selected in the alarm menu).
- The white/red wire is connected to a negative output sensor wire (sensor not included). This wire allows the DFS Alarm to respond to output from single stage shock, glass break, and microwave sensors.
- The white/orange wire is provided for connection to the unlock wire of keyless entry power door lock systems. When the keyless entry system is used to unlock the doors, the white/orange wire will receive the unlock output of the keyless entry system and the alarm will disarm. By selecting the appropriate setting in the alarm menu, the white/orange wire can be made to respond to ground output or 12v output keyless entry systems.
- The blue/brown wire is used to trigger a relay (not included) for starter kill operation. The blue/brown lead will provide a continuous 12V output while the alarm is sounding and for 30 minutes after initial trigger (up to 5 consecutive triggers).
At least two relays (item 120E5000) will be needed to operate all alarm functions. One relay will be needed to sound a siren, honk the horn, or flash the parking lights. A second relay will be needed for the alarm's starter kill function.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.