Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
43" PureVision HDTV-ready plasma TV system
Item # 130PDP4330 | MFR # PDP-4330HD
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Pioneer PDP-4330HD by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Pioneer has been a leader in plasma screen performance for years. The PDP-4330HD is their 3rd-generation design, and the world's first "progressive display" high-definition plasma panel in the 42-43" size. Imagine movies and sports in crystal-clear HDTV viewed on an ultra-thin panel that can hang on the wall! (A separate HDTV tuner is required to receive HDTV broadcasts.)
Pioneer is one of only a handful of companies that actually manufactures its own plasma panels. Pioneer's latest panels are based on their breakthrough True Matrix Imaging design, which delivers nearly 60% greater brightness than Pioneer's previous plasma displays. The key? Pioneer's "Deep-Encased Cell Structure," which increases phosphor surface area, prevents leakage of light from one cell to the next, and packs cells so densely that the finest image details look crisp, clear and vibrant (click "More Photos" above for a microscopic look at this breakthough design). DVD movies look spectacular on this TV, and HDTV programs will actually give you that jaw-dropping sensation of looking through a window!
To maximize performance and versatility, Pioneer employs an outboard "Media Receiver" which functions as the TV's tuner (for analog NTSC signals) and A/V switching center, and also "scales" (converts) all incoming signals to match the panel's native resolution, to produce the best possible picture. The Media Receiver's wide variety of A/V inputs includes 2 wide-bandwidth component video inputs so you can connect both an HDTV tuner and a progressive-scan DVD player. A dual-wire "umbilical cord" connects the Media Receiver to the TV screen, so you get the cleanest-looking picture and the cleanest-looking installation. (You can keep the Media Receiver hidden if you prefer the infrared "eye" for the system's remote control is located on the lower right-front corner of the plasma panel.)
To accommodate a wide variety of video sources (and to reduce the chance of image burn-in), Pioneer has included several picture display modes: 4:3 for conventional analog signals; Wide to stretch the image to fill the entire screen; Full for widescreen material like HDTV broadcasts and "anamorphic" DVDs; and Zoom for ultra-wide movies. Other image-tweaking options include color temperature control and high/low black level. One very handy feature is the ability to create a custom picture preset for each of the TV's inputs.
The PDP-4330HD has a panel depth of just 3-7/8", leaving your placement options wide open. Use the supplied stand for a graceful look on a tabletop, or remove the stand for wall-mounting (hardware not included, see "Accessories"). The stereo speakers detach as well, so if you've already got a home theater system, you can save some wall space and just install the screen.
In the July/August 2002 issue of The Perfect Vision, reviewer Gary Merson praised this panel's groundbreaking design: "The Pioneer PDP-4330HD goes a long way toward fulfilling the promise of fantastic, flat, hang-on-the-wall high-definition television. It excels in color fidelity, brightness, and convenience."
- HDTV monitor (compatible with HDTV/SDTV formats when connected to a separate HDTV tuner and displays them at 768p)
- 43" plasma panel (measured diagonally)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- 1024 x 768 pixels
- progressive display (all pixels display at once)
- 160° x 160° viewing angle
- Deep Encased Cell Structure for improved brightness and accuracy
- High Contrast Black Stripe Coating
- detachable stereo speakers
- detachable stand (depth is 13-1/8")
- 42-1/16"W x 24-3/4"H x 3-7/8"D (30-5/16"H x 13-1/8"D with stand)
- 48-1/16"W x 24-3/4"H x 4"D (with speakers)
- weight: 69.4 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor
- dual 181-channel NTSC tuners
- 2-tuner picture-and-picture (split-screen)
- Automatic Format Conversion (upconverts NTSC signals to progressive)
- PureCinema II 3-2 pulldown processing
- MTS stereo reception
- 12 watts x 2
- SRS Focus virtual surround for enhanced 2-speaker sound
- illuminated multibrand learning remote
- 5 A/V inputs, including:
- 4 composite video (3 rear, 1 front)
- 4 S-video (3 rear, 1 front)
- 2 rear-panel wide-bandwidth component video
(compatible with 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
- 1 rear-panel RGB input for HDTV (D-Sub 15-pin)
- 1 front-panel RGB input for PC/Mac (D-Sub 15-pin)
- 1 A/V output (composite video and S-video)
- 2 RF inputs for antenna/cable
- stereo mini headphone jack
- 16-1/2"W x 2-13/16"H x 15-1/4"D
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor
FREE In-home delivery! Because of its large size, the PDP-4330HD will be delivered to any accessible room in your home. Delivery is available to physical addresses in the lower 48 states. (Sorry, no P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders.) Transit time is 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Extra charges may apply for delivery after business hours or on a weekend, or if the TV must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs.
Note: Free return shipping not available with this model.
What's in the Box:
- One large box containing four smaller boxes (Plasma Display box/Media Receiver box/Speaker System box/Table Top Stand box):
- The Plasma Display box contains:
- 43" Widescreen Plasma TV
- 77" AC power cord
- 3 Speed clamps
- 3 Bead bands
- 1 Cleaning cloth
- Warranty card
- "Customers purchasing the optional Table Top Stand PDK-TS01" note
- The Media Receiver box contains:
- PDP-R03U Media receiver
- AXD1460 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 6' AC power cord
- 9.5' System cable
- Operating Instructions (English/French/Spanish)
- "Please Read Before Proceeding" sheet
- "Connecting the System Cable" sheet
- "Cautions regarding installation" sheet
- The Speaker System box contains:
- 1 Left speaker
- 1 Right speaker
- 1 Top right side mounting fitting
- 1 Top left side mounting fitting
- 2 Bottom mounting fittings
- Two 28" lengths of speaker wire (each has bare wire on each end)
- Four 7/16" countersunk screws
- Four 5/8" hexagon socket screws
- 1 Hex wrench
- Operating Instructions (English/French/German/Italian/Dutch/Spanish)
- The Table Top Stand box contains:
- 1 Base Cover
- 2 Stand Pipes
- 4 Machine screws
- 2 M8 x 20 installation bolts
- 2 M8 x 40 installation bolts
- 2 Stabilization bolts
- 1 Hex wrench
- Operating Instructions
Features and Specs
True Matrix Imaging with Deep Encased Cell Structure: The unique Deep Encased Cell Structure maximizes phosphor surface area, prevents leakage of light from one cell to the next, and packs cells very densely. The result is nearly 60% greater brightness over previous Pioneer plasma displays for superior contrast.
Pure Color Filter: This innovation reduces unnecessary signal frequency components in red, green and blue reproduction and uses black stripes between plasma cells to absorb excess light. Contrast in bright surroundings is as much as 2.3 times greater than in previous models. Also, RGB processing has been improved to reproduce clearer, purer black. The results: maximum color fidelity, minimal excess reflection, more subtle tonal gradation and lifelike vitality in every image, even those viewed in bright daylight.
Advanced Continuous Emission Display Technology: Pioneer's Advanced Continuous Emission Display Technology offers the following benefits: no excessive reset discharges or video noise, minimal false contouring, deeper contrast, more subtle shading of gray, and rich, convincing reproduction of black.
Progressive Scan: The advanced progressive-scan processing doubles the density of HDTV signals, reproduces images that are more realistic and natural than those of any conventional TV, and eliminates flicker that would otherwise be apparent on such large, high-resolution displays.
PureCinema Technology: The PureCinema Technology accurately converts film-based images (DVD movies), which have different frame rates than television images, into accurate moving pictures for television while at the same time maintaining the original film frames. The result is a television image that is identical to the original film image and twice the resolution of a conventional analog TV.
Native Resolution: The PDP-4330HD has a display resolution of 1024 x 768. The component video inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480i and 480p, and will display them as 1024 x 768. The RGB input will accept 1080i and 540p, and will display them as 1024 x 768. All other input signals will also be displayed as 1024 x 768.
Multiscreen Functions: You can select one of the following multiscreen functions:
- Dual Screen: you can display two same-sized pictures except when inputting from a PC INPUT terminal
- Picture and Still Image: you can display two same-sized pictures when inputting from an AV source. A moving image displays on the left screen and a still image displays on the right screen. The still image is one frame captured from a moving image at the moment you press FREEZE.
Favorite Channel: This function allows you to program 4 favorite channels in 4 different categories.
Screen Modes: You can select one of the following screen modes:
- 4:3: for 4:3 "standard" pictures; a side bar appears on each side
- Full: best for anamorphically squeezed DVD images or widescreen 16:9 broadcasts
- Zoom: for 16:9 letterbox pictures; bars may appear on the top and bottom with some programs
- Cinema: for 14:9 letterbox pictures; bars may appear on the top and bottom on some programs
- Wide: in this mode, the picture is progressively stretched toward each side of the screen
AV Modes: You can select one of the following AV modes:
Standard: for a highly defined image in a normally lit room
Dynamic: for a clear-cut image emphasizing high contrast for sports viewing
Movie: optimized for movies
Game: lowers image brightness for easier viewing
User: allows you to customize settings as desired; you can set the mode for each input source
SRS Sound Options: You can choose from the following SRS sound options:
SRS (Sound Retrieval System): creates a more natural sound, retrieving the spatial information from any stereo recording and restoring the original three-dimensional sound field
Focus: repositions a sound image from two speakers to a more optimal listening position or height without moving them
Focus + SRS: produces both SRS and Focus effects
Off: outputs the normal sound
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 30, 60, 90 or 120 minutes.
Wall Mounting: You can mount this TV on the wall using one of the optional wall mount brackets.
Learning/Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on other brands of A/V components, including cable boxes, satellite receivers, DTV receivers, VCRs, DVD players, and LD players. In addition, this remote can learn infrared commands from remotes of other components.
System Connections: The display has a white DVI input and gray proprietary 20-pin input and the Media Receiver has a white DVI output and gray proprietary 20-pin output. The components are connected using the supplied System cable. The DVI connections are used to connect the display and Media Receiver only. You cannot connect a component with a DVI output to the display or to the Media Receiver.
PC Input: The Media Receiver has a separate PC input that allows you to use it as a high-resolution computer monitor. The 15-pin mini D-sub connecter, also known as a VGA connector, can connect to the monitor outputs of most personal computers, and the mini-jack audio input provides a connection to the PC's sound card.
RGB Input: The Media Receiver has a 15-pin mini D-sub RGB input, also known as a VGA connector, that allows you to connect a DTV receiver with an RGB output.
Note: The RGB input will accept 1080i and 540p.
SR Control: The Control In and Out jacks on the back of the Media Receiver allow you to connect this display to compatible Pioneer components.
RS-232C: The RS-232C terminal on the back of the Media Receiver is used in the factory setup and not for connecting external components.
- Display with Base:
- Lowest Position: W=42.0625", H=30.3125", D=13.125"
- Middle Position: W=42.0625", H=32.125", D=13.125"
- Highest Position: W=42.0625", H=33.75", D=13.125"
- Display without Base: W=42.0625", H=24.75", D=3.875"
- Display with Speakers: regardless of mounting, the display is 48.0625" wide and 4" deep with the speakers attached
- Media Receiver: W=16.5", H=2.769", D=15.25"
- Speakers: W=3.048", H=24.75", D=4"
- Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
- Frequency Range: 60 to 20,000Hz
- Sensitivity: 82 dB/W
- Crossover Frequency: 3kHz
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.