Closed-back high-resolution headphones
Pioneer SE-Monitor5 - Bio-cellulose nano-fiber diaphragm delivers accurate sound across a wide frequency range
Pioneer SE-Monitor5 - Closed-back design with magnesium alloy driver housing for strong, well-defined bass
Our take on the Pioneer SE-Monitor5 by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
Learn from the "Master"
So-called "trickle-down" technology can be a tricky thing. Take for example, these Pioneer SE-Monitor5 headphones. They use a full basket driver system modeled after Pioneer's flagship SE-MASTER1 open-back headphones. But it turns out you get a decidedly different sound signature when you place similar drivers in a large, closed-back chamber. Not necessarily a bad thing — I dug the SE-MASTER1's quirky sound, but other reviewers frankly did not. These headphones reel in the highs better and deliver a more traditional, mids-focused sound. And the swift, punchy bass is still present here in the SE-Monitor5 'phones.
- over-the-ear, closed-back design
- large 50mm dynamic drivers offer clear, cohesive sound
- bio-cellulose nano-fiber diaphragm is extra-light and strong
- made from organic wood pulp
- delivers accurate sound across a wide frequency range
- a separate headphone amplifier is required to properly power these headphones for optimum sound quality
- uses full basket driver system to lower resonance
- modeled after Pioneer's top-of-the-line SE-MASTER 1 headphones
- magnesium alloy driver housing for low resonance and strong bass
- earcups secured to headband via screw
- "floating" earcup structure improves stereo separation
- padded headband with finely adjustable slider
- includes two pairs of soft, oversized ear pads for comfort
- one faux-leather pair and one velour-type pair
- includes three premium oxygen-free cables:
- 9.84 ft unbalanced cable with 3.5mm miniplug
- 63" unbalanced cable with 3.5mm miniplug
- 63" balanced cable with 2.5mm 4-pole sub-miniplug
- gold-plated 1/4" adapter included
- carrying pouch included
- frequency response: 5-85,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 99 dB
- impedance: 40 ohms
- weight: 16.9 oz. (without cable)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Over-ear headphones
- Velour-type earpads (installed)
- Leather-type earpads
- 65" Balanced audio cable (straight 4-conductor 2.5mm plug)
- 65" Audio cable (straight 3.5mm plug)
- 10' Audio cable (straight 3.5mm plug)
- 1/4"-to-3.5mm adapter
- Soft Cloth storage pouch
- Warranty (US)
- Warranty (EU)
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Earcup Width x Height||4.041" x 4.041"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|Frequency Response||5-85k Hz|
|Cord Length||65" + 120"|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Pioneer SE-Monitor5 audiophile-grade headphones are designed and engineered to provide an excellent listening experience. Made for Hi-Res Audio, these headphones have large custom drivers, interchangeable ear pads, and a choice of three cables.
50mm Drivers: The SE-Monitor5 features 50mm Cellulose Nano-Fiber drivers that are capable of reproducing a wide-range of frequencies from 5 Hz to 85 kHz. The drivers are housed in a super-rigid magnesium-alloy base that eliminates resonance and distortion. Pioneer uses Advanced Double Chamber construction with ports that add clarity and definition to the lower frequencies.
Ear Pads: Two pairs of interchangeable, 3D-sculpted ear pads are included with the headphones. The memory foam pads that are installed on the headphones out of the box are covered with a soft Velour-type cloth. Another pair of ear pads with a leather-type material are included in the box.
Cables: The SE-Monitor5 premium headphones offer three separate cables, all made of oxygen-free copper Litz wire. Two unbalanced bi-wire cords are provided (65" and 10' in length), each with a standard 3.5mm stereo plug. A 65" balanced audio cable is also included with a 4-pole 2.5mm stereo plug for use with the Pioneer XDP-300R hi-res portable music player, and other players with balanced outputs. The balanced cable enhances the stereo separation and signal-to-noise ratio to provide a true audiophile experience. A 3.5mm-to-1/4" gold-plated plug adapter is included for use with your home audio components with full-sized headphone outputs.
- Frequency Response: 5 Hz - 85 kHz
- Impedance: 40 Ω
- Sensitivity: 99 dB
- Maximum Input Power: 1000 mW
- Dimensions: Ear Cup Diameter: 4.041" Depth: 2.202"
- Weight: 16.93 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Get Pioneer's top-of-the-line headphones
The Pioneer SE-MASTER1 offers these features:
open-back design and super high-grade materials
lightweight aluminum diaphragms for low distortion and wide frequency response
assembled by a Pioneer master specialist in Japan
Frequently Compared With
Closed-back high-resolution headphones$799.99Sale: $200.00 off$999.99
Bose® SoundSport® wireless headphones
Sennheiser HD 800 (Factory Recertified)
Open-back high-resolution headphones$2,499.99