Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Watch a product demo
Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS display and controls demo
Crutchfield: 2013 DVD Receiver Roundup
Crutchfield: How Does Pioneer MIXTRAX Work?
From Pioneer: App Radio Live
Our take on the Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
Packed with features
Pioneer designed the AVH-X3500BHS DVD receiver to entertain you and improve your driving experience. Check out this impressive set of features:
- Built-in Bluetooth®: Enjoy hands-free calling with your compatible phone, plus the ability to wirelessly stream and control music from your phone or other Bluetooth devices.
- Built-in HD Radio™ tuner: You'll notice the impressive sonic advantages right away — FM broadcasts that are near-CD quality, with AM that's as good as what you're used to on FM. You can tune into multiple channels on the same frequency, for more entertainment choices. Plus, the iTunes® tagging feature lets you save song info, so you can purchase the tracks you like later.
- Advanced App Mode: With the addition of Pioneer's CD-IU201S cable, you can launch and control compatible iPhone apps from the face of your receiver, putting a variety of music, navigation, social media, and other apps at your command (also requires CD-IV202AV cable kit and other adapters with iPhone 5). You can learn more and see the latest compatible apps here.
- Optional satellite radio: Add a SiriusXM tuner and subscription for nationwide access to programming you can't get anywhere else — coast-to-coast reception is a huge plus if you travel constantly. And you'll never have to worry about data charges or coverage.
- Advanced touchscreen controls: Touch Slide technology offers greater control of receiver functions. Want a new EQ curve? Just draw it on the screen with your finger and you've got it. And you can browse video files through thumbnail images — just touch them to check out a sneak preview.
Roll with your music
The AVH-X3500BHS is built to play your music, no matter what medium you prefer. You can connect your iPod or iPhone to the rear USB input and use the receiver's controls to access your playlists, while tools like Alphabet Search and Link Search help you find the song you want, fast. You can also play music files from many Android™ phones when your Android is plugged into the front-panel USB port — see the "Details" tab for more info on device compatibility.
If you're a fan of streaming Internet radio, connect your iPhone to the receiver with an optional cable and take charge of your Pandora® account from the touchscreen, complete with thumbs-up and thumbs-down controls. And don't forget, you can also enjoy all your CDs, DVDs, discs full of MP3 or WMA music, or USB storage devices loaded with files.
Customizable display and excellent video performance
You can also change the receiver's appearance to match your dash by choosing from five display colors and 112 key panel illumination options. And when you're ready to get the party started, the MIXTRAX feature creates a DJ-like experience with content from your iPod®, iPhone®, or Android™, adding special effects between songs and variable-color lighting that pulses with the beat of your music.
The receiver's 6.1" LCD screen plays DVDs and other video content in bright, clear detail when you're parked. You can keep your passengers entertained by sending video from the receiver to a rear-seat screen — a huge bonus during long road trips. You'll be able to view video content from your iPod or IPhone (video playback requires CD-IV202AV cable kit and other adapters with iPhone 5, plus a firmware update — coming soon — from Pioneer) with the addition of an optional cable. And you can play it safe when you throw it into reverse by plugging in a rear-view camera.
A firmware update is available from Pioneer that will provide enhanced iPhone 5 compatibility to enable AppRadio Mode. However, due to an unforeseen communication error with the Pandora Internet radio app, audio playback and display of metadata from Pandora are disrupted. If you use Pandora and don't intend to use AppRadio Mode (also known as Advanced App Mode) at this time, please do not install this update. Pioneer is working on an update to allow for both Pandora and AppRadio Mode, to be released at a future date.
AppRadioLIVE makes it easy
Pioneer's innovative AppRadioLIVE streamlines your app info and functions into one easy-to-use interface. You'll enjoy quick access to your music, media, calendar, and other sources you subscribe to, just by downloading the AppRadioLIVE app and syncing your services. AppRadioLIVE works with your apps to provide visual map guidance and access to points of interest, as well as the ability to search for concerts, shows, and other local events of interest. And you can show several sources of information simultaneously, quickly shifting from one to another with a touch of your finger.
Tune the sound to your taste
This Pioneer sports an 8-band equalizer for making your music sound perfect in your car, and you'll find an auto-equalization feature to tune your system (microphone required). Pioneer's Advanced Sound Retriever perks up the flat sound of compressed music by restoring high-frequency information. If you're looking to build a killer system, three pairs of preamp outputs make it easier to connect external amplifiers
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter (not included) to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Pioneer stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Pioneer, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
easy install (also bought the wiring harness), great product, added a cheapo backup camera - works perfect
JIM, KNOXVILLE TN
What's in the Box:
- DVD receiver with integrated 6.1" LCD touchscreen monitor (10A fuse inserted in chassis)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (CXE5116)
- CR2025 3V lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 59" USB extension cable (w/ a male USB type-A connector on one end and a female USB type-A connector on other end)
- Microphone (w/ attached 13' cable termianted by a right-angle 2.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 6 Pan-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- Owner's Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty sheet (USA/Canada)
- DVD/CD receiver with internal amp (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- 6.1" touchscreen
- Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- MIXTRAX for a DJ-inspired audio/visual experience
- Pandora Internet radio control
- Advanced App Mode: launch and control compatible apps from your iPhone
- music file playback through USB with select Android devices (see "Details" for more info)
- five customizable display colors and 112 key panel illumination choices
- fits double-DIN dash openings
- remote control
- plays audio/video content from CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Details tab for full capabilities)
- 8-band graphic equalizer with 7 preset EQ curves
- high- and low-pass filters
- Advanced Sound Retriever
- Auto-EQ equalizes for your car interior automatically (optional mic required)
- built-in audio iPod control Pioneer's optional adapter required for viewing video content, Pandora control, and Advanced App Mode
- playback and control of Android media files
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear A/V input, rear video output, rear A/V and USB inputs, rear-view camera input
- outputs: video output, 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power Output||14 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
6.1" TFT LCD Touchscreen Color Display: The AVH-X3500BHS features a 6.1" TFT Active Matrix, 16:9 widescreen touchscreen display. The resolution of the display is 800 x 480 (RGB), for a total of 1,152,000 pixels. The touchscreen display allows you to control this unit and a connected component such as an iPod/iPhone, or USB mass storage class device. Menus appear on screen for making function choices, audio adjustments, and setting up the system. The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier, because there is no panel to slide or fold-down. The fixed touchscreen display is not removable.
Multilingual Display: The Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS offers English, Chinese, French, Portuguese, and Spanish text.
Video Adjustments: You can store numerous video settings for each source and the optional rear view camera; including brightness (adjusts the black intensity), contrast (adjusts contrast), color (adjusts color saturation), hue (adjusts the tone of color), and temperature (adjust the color temperature).
Widescreen Modes: You can choose from the following widescreen modes when playing back video:
- Full: A 4:3 picture is enlarged in the horizontal direction only, enabling you to enjoy a 4:3 picture without any omissions.
- Zoom: A 4:3 picture is enlarged in the same proportion both vertically and horizontally; ideal for a 16:9 screen.
- Normal: A 4:3 picture is displayed as it is.
On Screen Display Color & Background Adjustment: The color of the on-screen display can be set to red, amber, green, blue or white. The background can be set to one of four preset still images, a moving image, a stored JPEG image, or turned Off.
Front-Panel Control w/ Custom Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the left edge of the screen. The color of the button illumination can be set to red, amber, green, blue, white, or scan (constantly cycling through the color spectrum). You can also create a custom color to match your vehicle's interior lighting (112 colors to choose from).
Dimmer: To prevent the display from being too bright at night, the display is automatically dimmed when the car's headlights are turned on. The automatic dimmer function only works when the orange/white illumination wire in the wiring harness is connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit.
Parking Brake Interlock: This unit has a parking brake interlock system that prohibits viewing of video programming and operating certain controls when the vehicle is in motion. In order to watch video on the in-dash monitor, the vehicle must be parked with the parking brake engaged. The head unit's light green wire must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. The head unit's touchscreen will display "Attention! Viewing of front seat video source while driving is strictly prohibited", if you try to watch a video when your vehicle is in motion.
2-DIN Chassis: The Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double -DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets. There is also an optional double-DIN sleeve (130ADTV133, sold separately) available for this unit that will allow you to Euro-mount or custom mount the Pioneer head unit in your vehicle. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Bluetooth Technology: The Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS is equipped with built-in Bluetooth ver. 3.0 (powered by Parrot), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), HSP (Head Set Profile), OPP (Object Push Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the AVH-X3500BHS without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When a registered Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. Up to 3 Bluetooth-compatible devices can be registered to this head unit. Only one device can be used at a time. Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Pioneer DEH-X8500BH.
Hands-Free Communication: The AVH-X3500BHS supports wireless hands-free communication (HFP/HSP/OPP/PBAB) for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker during an incoming call. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call. The AVH-X3500BHS allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode. Using the AVH-X3500BHS, you can dial a phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: You can make a call by entering the phone number using the head unit's on-screen keypad (0-9, *, #, +, C).
- Speed (Preset) Dialing: You can easily store up to six phone numbers as presets for speed dialing.
- Phone Book: The phone book in your Bluetooth enabled cellular phone will be transferred automatically when the phone is paired to this unit. After finding the number you want to call in the phone book, you can select the entry and make the call. If a lot of numbers are registered in the phone book, you can search for the phone number by alphabet search mode.
- Call Log: The 80 most recent calls dialed, received, and missed are stored in memory. You can browse them and call numbers from these lists.
- Voice Control: If your Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone is equipped with the voice control feature, you can use voice commands to make calls.
Note: Advanced phone operations that require attention, such as dialing numbers on the monitor or adjusting Bluetooth settings, are prohibited while driving. The vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to access these functions.
External Microphone: During your wireless phone call, you can talk into the head unit's included external microphone, and listen to the other party through the vehicle's speaker system. The external microphone provides better performance in noisy environments than the integrated microphone found on the front-panel of many aftermarket or factory radios. The microphone features a 13' cord that plugs into the back of the radio, and comes with an adjustable visor-mount clip. The microphone measures 0.475" (diameter) x 1.445" (depth). The unit is not equipped with an integrated microphone. The external microphone must be installed for Bluetooth hands-free communication.
Wireless Audio Streaming (with Meta Data Display): The Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The AVH-X3500BHS will be able to control your stored music's basic playback functions; such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast-Forward/Reverse, and Repeat/Random. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name, Song title, and Album Art. The AVH-X3500BHS also supports audio streaming of music apps (metadata display and control will depend on music app). When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
HD Radio: The Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS's built-in HD Radio tuner lets you listen to the radio with the same fidelity as your digital music. HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multicasting, and data services. With HD Radio, your FM stations offer near CD-quality sound, AM stations provide FM-like sound, and there is crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion. Best of all, HD Radio is 100% subscription free. The unit's tuner also supports analog AM/FM broadcasts. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
- Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 3 multicast programs (HD1 to HD3, and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible analog or HD AM/FM stations.
- iTunes Tagging: It is possible to save the song's information (tag) from a HD Radio or RDS FM broadcasting station to your USB-direct connected iPod/iPhone. The songs will show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the next time you sync your iPod/iPhone. Then you can directly buy the songs you want from the iTunes Music Store.
- Supertuner IIID: The Supertuner IIID features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- Reception Blending: If a digital broadcast reception condition gets poor, this unit automatically switches to the analog broadcast of the same frequency level. If this function is set to "On", the tuner switches between digital broadcast and analog broadcast automatically. If this function is 'Off', reception will be conducted within an analog broadcast.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): The BSM (Best Stations Memory) function lets you automatically store the six strongest analog or HD stations under presets 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 level of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
Pandora Internet Radio: Pandora is the leading Internet Radio music service in the United States, giving people music they love anytime, anywhere, through personalized radio stations. The Pioneer AVH-X3500BH supports the Pandora Radio App for iPhone (via USB) and Android (via Bluetooth).
- Smartphone Connectivity: The Pioneer AVH-X3500BH offers
connectivity to both the Apple iPhone and Android smartphone.
- Pandora via USB-connected iPhone: The free Pandora App lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Pioneer AVH-X3500BH using your connected Apple iPhone, via the proprietary Pioneer iPod connector cable (sold separately) or the USB/iPod dock cable that came with your iPhone. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS.3.0+) with the latest version of the Pandora Radio application from Apple itunes App Store.
- Pandora via Bluetooth-enabled Android Smartphone: The Pioneer AVH-X3500BH lets you playback and control Pandora Internet Radio streamed from your Android smartphone, via Bluetooth (no hard-wired connection required). To access Pandora from the Pioneer head unit, your Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone must have the latest version of the Pandora App from the Google Play App Store. Your Android smartphone must also support A2DP, AVRCP, and SPP Bluetooth profiles.
- Music Control: The Pioneer AVH-X3500BH provides the
following Pandora app control.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- QuickMix: QuickMix allows you to listen to songs played on one or more Pandora stations in your Station List randomly. You will need to edit your QuickMix station selections on the phone before connection.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
- Information Display: The Pioneer AVH-X3500BH will display Artist, Album, & Song information provided by the Pandora app on your iPhone or Android smartphone.
Note: Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora music service account. Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
A firmware update is available from Pioneer that will provide enhanced iPhone 5 compatibility to enable AppRadio Mode. However, due to an unforeseen communication error with the Pandora internet radio app, audio playback and display of metadata from Pandora are disrupted. If you use Pandora and don't intend to use AppRadio Mode at this time, please do not install this update. Pioneer is working on an update to allow for both Pandora and AppRadio Mode, to be released at a future date.
SiriusXM Ready: The AVH-X3500BHS is SiriusXM Ready so you can listen to commercial-free music, all your favorite sports, exclusive talk and entertainment, comedy, news, traffic, weather, and more. Simply connect the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV200, sold separately) to the dedicated SiriusXM port on the rear of the DVD receiver and enjoy satellite radio without additional translators or cables. With the SiriusXM Connect tuner you'll have access to more than 150 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM, via the "SiriusXM All Access" package (subscription required). Visit SiriusXM.com for a complete list of subscription options and channel guide. Additional features of the SXV200 SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- The List Menu displays a list of all available channels.
- Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD touchscreen.
- You can store up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio Station Presets.
- Tune Start allows you to choose whether to start a song from the beginning or from its live point when tuning to a preset music channel.
- You can scan through channels within categories or songs from your preset channels. Tune Scan allows you to play back eight seconds of each song in a preset music channel. Category Scan lets you play back five seconds of a live broadcast in the currently selected category.
- The iTunes Tagging feature lets you Tag songs you hear on SiriusXM and stores the info on your iPod/iPhone (connected to your head unit via USB). The next time you connect your iPod/iPhone to iTunes, you will be able to preview your selections and then purchase and download them directly from iTunes.
- The SiriusXM Parental Control feature allows you to control access to channels that you consider inappropriate for younger listeners. When enabled, The Parental Control feature requires you to enter a 4-digit passcode to tune to the locked channels.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
iPod/iPhone Connection: The Pioneer multimedia head unit supports both audio/video & app playback from a compatible iPod or iPhone. Select the appropriate cable for your model Apple device and media content.
- Audio Only: Using Pioneer's dock connector-to-USB cable (130CDIU51, sold separately) or the dock connector-to-USB cable which comes with your iPod/iPhone, you can enjoy audio playback of your stored music, podcasts, and Pandora Internet Radio on your iPod or iPhone through the Pioneer A/V head unit. If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5; you will need the Pioneer CD-IU51 iPod Cable (sold separately) and the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter (472LTN230P, sold separately) to connect the Apple device to the Pioneer head unit. The head unit does not support direct connection of the Lightning-connector cable that comes with the iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5.
- Audio/Video: Using the Pioneer CD-IU201V iPod/iPhone connector cable (130IU201V, sold separately) you can enjoy audio playback, plus video playback of movies, TV shows, video podcasts, and music videos stored on your iPod/iPhone; as well as music or video based apps streamed to your iPhone. Not compatible with iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5.
- Audio/Video + AppRadio: The Pioneer CD-IU201S iPhone/App cable (130IU201S, sold separately) not only provides audio/video playback, but also allows you to launch the AppRadio Mode on your iPhone 4/4S (iOS 4.2+), for playback of AppRadio applications (such as navigation and internet radio) on the Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS. You can also access audio/video files and AppRadio Mode from your iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1+) using Pioneer's CD-IV202AV cable kit, an Apple Lightning-to-USB Cable, and Apple Lightning-to-VGA adapter (all sold separately); also requires your iPhone 5 be paired via Bluetooth and a Firmware update from Pioneer.
Note: Video from your iPod/iPhone device can only be displayed while the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
iPod/iPhone Control: The Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS lets you control your iPod/iPhone from the head unit's touchscreen or from the iPod/iPhone's touchscreen, clickwheel, or downloadable app.
- Head Unit: The Pioneer CD-IU201V (audio/video), CD-IU201S (iPhone 4/4S), or CD-IV202AV (iPhone 5) cable lets you search your iPod/iPhone's audio/video content by Video Playlist, Movie, Music Video, Video Podcast, TV Show, Rental, Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook from the head unit's touchscreen; the CD-IU51(audio only) cable only allows browsing of audio categories. Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically (A-Z). In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder. Your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked in this mode.
- iPod/App: The Pioneer CD-IU201V (iPod/iPhone), CD-IU201S (iPhone 4/4s), or CD-IV202AV (iPhone 5) cable is required for App Control mode. App Control mode allows you to navigate stored audio/video content from your connected iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. This is very useful for the person riding in your passenger seat. The App mode also lets you listen to your favorite music apps, such as iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Last.fm, Rhapsody, & Slacker from your iPhone (iOS 3.0+) through the Pioneer head unit and your vehicle's speakers. In addition, you can watch video on the Pioneer A/V receiver's touchscreen from streaming movie apps, such as Netflix & YouTube, downloaded on your iPhone 4/4S (iOS 4.0+) or iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1+). Not all apps will be compatible with App Mode and App Mode will provide only limited (basic), if any, control over the app. Available controls may include; Play/Pause & Skip Previous/Next. The App Mode's video functions can only be accessed when the vehicle is in park and the hand-brake is fully engaged.
iPod/iPhone Display: The multimedia head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information, as well as metadata from Pandora and AppRadios; including Track number, Folder number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art. There is no music information displayed when this unit is set to 'basic App mode'. Instead, all music information will be displayed on your iPod/iPhone's LCD screen.
iPod Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit will not charge the Apple iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Advanced App Mode: Using the Pioneer CD-IU201S (130IU201S, sold separately) cable to connect the AVH-X3500BHS to your iPhone 4/4S (iOS 4.2+) loaded with Pioneer's free AppRadio application from iTunes, you can enjoy full on-screen access and control of your calendar, maps, and more with an intuitive interface, formatted and designed specifically for safer in-vehicle operation. The same can be done with the iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1+) using Pioneer's CD-IV202AV cable kit, an Apple Lightning-to-USB Cable, and Apple Lightning-to-VGA adapter (all sold separately). Pioneer has teamed up with app providers to offer compatibility with many of today's most popular in-vehicle apps, while also developing an expanding catalog of compatible apps for future use that can be easily & seamlessly added. The AppRadio app must be first launched from your iPhone, and the compatible app selected from the iPhone. You can then operate the app from the Pioneer head unit. Popular apps include (as of 1/31/2013):
|App Categories||Application Description|
|Aupeo! Personal Radio: AUPEO! Personal Radio offers free online music. With more than 120 Internet radio stations available, users can search for their favorite music by artists, songs, genres, or AUPEO!'s "Mood-Tuner". Users can also choose to "love" or "ban" songs directly from the AppRadio screen, enabling the app to adjust content to the user's personal taste.|
|CarMediaPlayer: CarMediaPlayer allows you to swipe, drag, and directly touch the desired artist, song, or album in your music library directly from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen with Alphabet Search and Album View function. When you're searching through your library, Alphabet Search allows you to select the first letter in the desired song, album, or artist name from the Pioneer receiver making it quick an easy to get to the music you want. The iPhone version of the app even allows you to play and access your iTunes Match collection directly from the Pioneer's touchscreen.|
|Livio Radio: The Livio Radio app ($4.99) lets you listen to more than 42,000 AM/FM and Internet-only radio streams from around the world. The Livio Radio app has been optimized for use in the vehicle with a range of features an controls right from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen.|
|Rdio: Rdio (from for $4.99 per month) gives you access to over 8 million songs. You are able to search and find any song, album or artist, and start listening immediately. You can search music by new releases and chart toppers. You can also check out what other listeners have been listening to the most, or look at your own recent listening history. In addition, you can even create your own music collection or make your own playlists. Rdio will even recommend music for you, based on your previous music listening. The AppRadio will display Artist,/Album/Song information, as well as Album art.|
|StreamS HiFi Radio: The StreamS HiFi Radio app ($4.99) provides access to more than 4,000 live Internet radio stations from across the globe delivered in AAC/HE-AACv1/HE-AACv2 at 32kbps for high fidelity listening.|
|gMusic: Google Music allows you to keep up to 20,000 of your favorite songs in the cloud. Now you can listen to your entire music collection without having to use any space on your iOS device. gMusic offers full playlist editing, Last.fm scrobbling, thumbs up playlist, metadata editing, and innovative navigation.|
|Mixtrax: Pioneer's proprietary MIXTRAX app from iTunes analyzes the music in your iTunes library to create custom playlists for non-stop song mixes with added DJ effects.|
|Navigation||Apple Maps: You can view Apple maps on the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen as you would on your iPhone. Functionality is bundled with the Pioneer AppRadio app.|
|MotionX GPS Drive: The MotionX-GPS Drive App ($0.99) is available from iTunes for your iPhone 4/4S (not compatible w/ iPhone 5). There is a $2.99 per month subscription fee with an additional $19.99 per year for Voice Guidance feature. MotionX-GPS Drive is a complete GPS navigation solution, designed and optimized for the iPhone, that can be displayed on the Pioneer AppRadio. MotionX-GPS Drive helps you find what you're looking for and provides turn-by-turn directions with optional Live Voice Navigation, using industry-leading maps (including US and Canada). All the functionality of an advanced dedicated turn-by-turn GPS unit is presented in this intuitive iPhone application. MotionX-GPS Drive Offers full support for the iPhone with multitasking, routing, and live voice guidance instructions continuing in the background; while you listen to streaming music from your car audio system or use other applications from the iPhone. The 2D/3D navigation map will be displayed on the Pioneer AppRadio, but you will still control the MotionX-GPS Drive Navigation app from your iPhone.|
|NavFree GPS Live: NavFree GPS Live is a free navigation app that offers turn-by-turn directions, voice and on-screen instructions, offline map use, address search, live searches via Google and Microsoft Bing, and many other features. Navfree is a completely free navigation app with no additional monthly charges. It uses map data created by a community of thousands of users around the world. The map gets downloaded to the phone so data connection is not required for navigating.|
|My GPS USA: My GPS USA is the next generation GPS satellite navigation from the makers of NavFree. Full featured with voice guided, turn-by-turn satellite navigation with no hidden costs. It offers a HD live map display with 2D and 3D modes. You can navigate by pinching, swiping and touching. Full voice guidance is available in 12 languages. Multiple Routing Modes include - Fastest, Shortest, Easy, Pedestrian, and Economical Routes. You can even navigate from your Contacts.|
|INRIX Traffic: INRIX is a leading provider of highly accurate traffic services. INRIX's strategic partnership with Clear Channel Radio and Total Traffic Network extends the delivery of the highest quality data and broadest coverage available for personal navigation. The INRIX Traffic app ($24.95 per year) provides real-time traffic information and traffic forecasts for all major highways, interstates, arterials and city streets nationwide. Traffic information will be displayed on the Pioneer head unit, while control is still handled from the iPhone.|
|Extra Mile: Extra Mile ($1.99) is an all-in-one app for convenient voice navigation that gives audio feedback to improve your driving performance and conserve fuel.|
|EC Touch: The EasyCar app is designed specifically for AppRadio and provides large icons, simple commands, and swipe gestures that enable you to access your iPhone's music, contacts, mapping, and more.|
|Waze: Waze is a cool social GPS driving and navigation app that connects you to other drivers. When you download Waze, you not only get a free GPS traffic & navigation app, but also become part of the local driving community in your area, joining forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time and gas, and improve everyone's daily commute.|
|Driver Assist||DashCommand: Utilizing the built-in GPS & accelerometer sensors of the iPhone, the DashCommand app ($49.99) displays advanced vehicle and driving statistics. When connected to a compatible vehicle's OBD-II data port (optional OBD-II interface sold separately from Palmer Performance Engineering), advanced data monitoring, logging and analysis are enabled. Users can create and display up to 27 virtual dashboards with many styles including digital gauges, analog gauges, indicator lights, and more, which can all be accessed on the Pioneer head unit's screen. Compatible with more than 13 OBD-II compliant interfaces, the app can also be used as a scan tool to read vehicle trouble codes.|
|Best Parking: Best Parking is a parking search engine that steers drivers towards the cheapest and most convenient parking garages and lots in 55 cities and 80 airports.|
|Parkopedia: Parkopedia ($1.99) has grown to cover over 25 million parking spaces in 28 countries around the world thanks to contributions from other drivers. Use this app to find parking using your current location or by entering an address. Get directions straight to the space and see parking space availability in real-time (where available). Find opening hours, up to date prices, payment methods and more. You can quickly narrow down parking choices using filters such as free, credit cards accepted, covered, etc.|
|Utility||CarBrowser: CarBrowser ($1.99) allows you to search and navigate the internet directly from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen while the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.|
|Commute WX: CommuteWX ($0.99) provides real-time weather information (current/forecast/in-route). Weather conditions are featured in large, easy to read graphics in a streamlined user interface that's well suited for in-vehicle travel.|
|Contacts: Access your iPhone's contacts. This function is bundled with the Pioneer AppRadio app.|
|Calendar: Access your iPhone's calendar, so you can view important events and reminders. This functionality is bundles with the Pioneer AppRadio app.|
|Photos: You can view photos stored on your iPhone. Access albums and camera rolls, and even view a slideshows. Functionality is bundled with the Pioneer AppRadio app.|
Note: As the library of AppRadio compatible applications grows, users will be automatically notified via Pioneer's AppRadio iPhone application, with a link to the respective app(s) page within the App Store. Visit the Pioneer AppRadio Site for the latest compatible apps.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 1/31/2013):
|iPod/iPhone||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||iTunes Tagging||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/App Mode||Pandora App||AppRadio Mode||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio|
- *Requires the Pioneer CD-IU51 iPod cable and the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter (both sold separately).
- **Requires Pioneer's CD-IV202AV cable kit, an Apple Lightning-to-USB Cable, and Apple Lightning-to-VGA adapter (all sold separately); also requires a Firmware update from Pioneer.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Multimedia Compatibility: The Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS features a front-loading disc slot, as well as a rear-panel USB (type-A) port with 59" USB extension cable.
- Compatible Discs: The AVH-X3500BHS supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs.
- USB Port: The unit features a rear-panel USB port and includes a 59" USB extension cable. You can connect a USB mass storage class device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the DVD receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Compatible Media Files: The Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or inserted USB device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW, DVD-R/-RW/-R DL)||Flash Memory (SD/SDHC, USB)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Romeo, Joliet, UDF||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||
MP3: 8-320kbps bit
rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
8-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
WMA: 48-320kbps bit rate; 32-48kHz sampling rates
AAC: 16-320kbps bit rate; 11.025-44.1kHz sampling rates
WAV: 8- or16-bit rate; 16-44.1k sampling rates
DivX: 720 x 576 max resolution; 8GB max file size
MPEG-1/2/4: 720 x 1280 max resolution; 8GB max file size
|JPEG: max resolution of 4092 x 4092|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||
99 folders/999 files (700 folders/3,500 files for DVD)
|1,500 folders/15,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver. 1.0,/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags|
Note: Videos and Photos can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
Playback Functions: The Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS offers the following playback functions:
- Automatic Playback: When a DVD disc with DVD menu is inserted, this unit will cancel the DVD menu automatically and start playback from the first chapter of the first title.
- Bookmark (Resume Playback): The Bookmark function lets you resume playback from a selected scene the next time the disc is loaded.
- Frame-By-Frame Playback: This feature lets you movie ahead on frame at a time during playback of your DVD or Video CD.
- Slow Motion Forward: When playing a DVD or Video CD, you can choose to play back video in slow motion (no audio).
- Repeat Play: Audio/Video content can be repeated. You can choose from Disc (entire disc), Folder (current folder) Chapter (current chapter), Title (current title), Track (current track), File (current file), Folder (current folder), or One (current video/song/track).
- Random (Shuffle) Play: Audio/Video can be played back in a random order. You can choose from Songs (videos/songs in selected list), Albums (videos/songs from selected album), Folder (songs/tracks in selected folder), or Disc (all songs/tracks on disc).
Search Functions: The AVH-X3500BHS provides the following search functions:
- Track Title List: You can select tracks to playback using the track title list which is a list of the tracks recorded on a disc or USB memory device.
- Scene Search: You can use the search function on the unit's on-screen display to search for a desired scene on your DVD by specifying a title and chapter track.
- Return to Scene: You can return to the specified scene where the DVD you are currently playing has been preprogrammed to return.
- Skip Search: You can skip to the previous/next track, file, folder, title, or chapter on a disc or USB device.
- Fast Forward/Reverse: You can fast forward/reverse through a current track, file, or title on a disc or USB device.
Advanced Playback & Search Functions (for USB): Advance playback functions include; Music Browsing which lets you browse your USB memory device's music library by Artist, Album, Song, or Genre from the head unit in alphabetical order; and Link Play which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Play lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre.
MIXTRAX: Drawing from Pioneer's rich DJ heritage and passion for music, MIXTRAX delivers a unique DJ infused listening experience to listeners in the car. MIXTRAX is an innovative Pioneer technology that creates a non-stop mix of your music library complete with a range of DJ-inspired effects. MIXTRAX takes your typical music listening experience and creates a non-stop mix of your music with 9 random DJ effects and transitions, by removing the breaks and pauses normally introduced between tracks and replacing them with various beats. MIXTRAX is compatible with USB-connected iPhone, iPod, USB MSC device, and select Android devices. There is also a Short Playback option which limits the amount of time each track plays; select from 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, or 3 minutes.
Note: The MIXTRAX function does not work in App mode or with the Pandora App for iPod/iPhone/iPad.
Parental Lock: This unit features an 8-level Parental Lock system protected by a user-selected 4-digit password to prevent certain DVD's from being played back on the AVH-X3500BHS.
Off Insert/Eject: A disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback. When you eject a disc, the unit will automatically power off (unless you switch sources before ejecting the disc).
Installation Angle: Optimum disc playback performance is obtained when the unit is installed at an angle of less than 30-degrees.
24-Bit/96kHz DAC: For superb quality audio playback from DVDs, CDs, and flash media, the Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS is equipped with a 24-bit/96kHz digital-to-analog converter.
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: This receiver is equipped with a 50 watts x 4 (peak) MOSFET amplifier for low distortion, high power output. The amplifier is strong enough to power small subwoofers to moderate volume levels in compact cars and pickups. For higher volume levels from subwoofers, an optional amplifier may be connected to the preamp outputs.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the AVH-X3500BHS are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
EEQ (Easy EQ) w/ 8-Band Graphic EQ: There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2. The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 8-band graphic equalizer (40Hz, 80Hz, 200Hz, 400Hz, 1kHz, 2.5kHz, 8kHz, and10kHz).
Auto EQ (Optional): The auto-equalizer automatically measures your car's interior acoustic characteristics, and then creates an auto-equalizer curve base on that information. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone (130CDMC20, sold separately) is required to use this function. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone plugs into your compatible Pioneer A/V receiver's rear-panel AUX 3.5mm input. The Auto-EQ microphone should be placed in the center of your vehicle's driver seat headrest facing forward for EQ measurement.
Sonic Center Control: Sound that is suited for the listening position can easily be created with this function. You can adjust sound more toward the listening position left (7) to right (7).
Loudness: The Loudness function compensates for deficiencies in the low- and high-frequency ranges at low volume. You can set the Loudness to High, Mid, Low, or Off.
Bass Boost: You can easily boost the subwoofer bass level by using the Bass Boost function. The Bass Boost feature allows you increase the subwoofer level from 0 to +6 (12dB).
Advanced Sound Retriever: The Advanced Sound Retriever automatically enhances compressed audio and restores the original richness of the recording. When the Advanced Sound Retriever is on, the high frequency range is compensated to match the frequency response curve to the original sound. There are two available levels of the Advanced Sound Retriever effect.
Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the volume level of the FM tuner, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4 dB to +4 dB.
2V/6CH Preamp Outputs: The Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS features three pair of 2.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading.
Crossovers: The AVH-X3500BHS employs high pass and low pass crossovers to tailor the head unit to your connected speakers.
- HPF: The head unit's 12dB/octave high pass filter only allows frequencies higher than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125Hz) to your front and rear speakers through the unit's speaker-level or line-level outputs.
- LPF: The subwoofer preamp output features an18dB/octave low pass filter so only frequencies lower than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125Hz) are output to your connected subwoofer.
Subwoofer Controls: The Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS lets you adjust the subwoofer preamp output's phase (normal/reverse) and volume (+6 to -24).
Switchable Rear Channel/Subwoofer Speaker Output: The rear speaker outputs can be set to provide full range output with full fading capability, or they can be set to provide non-fading subwoofer (low-pass) output. When the rear speaker outputs are set to subwoofer mode, the rear preamp outputs also switch from full range to subwoofer outputs. When set for subwoofer operation, you can connect the rear speaker leads directly to two small 4-ohm passive subwoofers or a dual voice coil sub with 4-ohm voice coils. If you prefer to use a single 2-ohm subwoofer, you can connect the woofer to one set of speaker leads, leaving the other set of rear leads disconnected. The maximum output provided when a 2-ohm load is connected to one set of leads is 70 watts.
Dual AV Inputs: The Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS has dual AV inputs to connect two external audio/video sources. The head unit has a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack AV input for connecting a portable audio/video device. There is also a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA AV input for connecting a video component such as a mobile TV tuner or game console. The rear-panel 3.5mm minijack input also serves as the A/V input for your USB-connected iPod/iPhone (using the proprietary Pioneer cable).
Video Output: The AVH-X3500BHS features a rear-panel composite video output that allows you to connect an external display to the unit. You can play back the same video source (except iPhone 5) which is being played on the head unit. You can select the unit to output a 16:9, Letter-Box or Pan-Scan aspect ratio to match your external display's screen size.
Rear View Camera: The AVH-X3500BHS is equipped with a composite video Rear View Camera input. The unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear camera image (Rear View Camera input jack) when an optional rear camera (130NDBC5, sold separately) is installed. When the transmission is in reverse, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (the violet/white wire in the AVH-X3500BHS's harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.9 seconds. Pioneer recommends using a camera with a mirror image (reversed) output. Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
Navigation Ready: The Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS allows you to connect the Pioneer AVIC-U250 add-on navigation unit (130AVIC250, sold separately) through its RGB Input. This versatile hideaway unit allows you to switch to navigation mode with the touch of a button. Get to your destination by inputting an address or search through the POI library while enjoying whatever source is currently playing.
Note: If you are already using the head unit's RGB input to access AppRadio Mode from your iPhone, then you cannot connect this add-on navigation module (or vise-versa).
Wireless Remote Control: The Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS includes an IR remote control (CXE5116) for wireless operation of the multimedia head unit and your connected devices. There are no controls to answer/end or dial call from your Bluetooth-enabled phone.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
25 questions already asked
Yes. It is under settings. [ JIM Mar 15, 2014 ]
Yes. Brightness, contrast, color, hue, dimming, and color temperature can be set individually for daytime and nighttime. There are adjustments (not sure which, as I don't yet have one) for the rear view camera input as well. I'm not sure about adjustments for DVD or anything else since I mainly use it for USB music, HD Radio, and bluetooth calling. [ DAN Mar 15, 2014 ]
Yes, but it's not as simple as the original unit. You need to enter settings, then you can adjust brightness, contrast, color, hue, dimmer and temperature. Probably not something you would want to adjust while driving. It's more of a "set it and forget it" sort of thing or making adjustments before starting a movie. [ MARK Mar 15, 2014 ]
Yes it can be. Park your car go into settings and in there is where you can adjust the brightness and the dimmer effect of the head unit. [ CHRIS Mar 15, 2014 ]
The ability to retain steering wheel controls with aftermarket receivers will be determined by the receiver you are using and the vehicle you have. For full information on this type of integration (including the parts you will need) please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Mar 10, 2014 ] Staff
You need to go under Bluetooth settings and delete your old phone so you will have enough space for the new one. [ JIM Mar 15, 2014 ]
Press the button with four squares on that allows you to select a different source. Press Bluetooth button, select connection; from there press the trash can symbol next to the iphone you want to unpair and confirm your choice. Hope this helps. [ VINCE Mar 06, 2014 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Jeff Mar 06, 2014 ] Staff
4 answers I just installed this beauty in my 2013 Tundra last night, it looks and sounds great I am very happy thus far. The question I have is will the Sirius xm channel logos display while listening to the channel? I haven't found any lit in the manual or online, any help would be greatly appreciated. On a side note, I purchased this from Crutchfield and their techs and advisors are top notch. They helped my select everything I needed to get a perfect instal, from the XM module, the steering wheel interface module, and all the accessories, mastersheets, and prybars. Thank you Crutchfield for all of your help. [ Chris Mar 02, 2014 ]
Unforutunatly, I wouldn`t know myself because I call crutchfeild last night about purchasing sirius xm tuner for my radio. Sorry I couldn`t answer your question, if you get answer please let me know. Thanks Bridgett. [ BRIDGETT Mar 03, 2014 ]
The display shows the channel, song name and artist. Not sure what you are looking for as far as a logo. [ ROBERT Mar 03, 2014 ]
Unfortunately I cannot help you, as I am not currently using the satellite function of the radio. I can tell you that I love the radio & think it's features were not only exactly what I was looking for, but also enhanced the overall sound system in my Avalanche [ JON Mar 03, 2014 ]
Chris, I installed this unit in my wife's Navigator and it sounds and looks great. As for your question, no, the Sitius logos for each station do not show up. I have tried everything and it seems that this is not possible with the unit. On the positive side, the ability to change the colors and themes is a awesome feature. I hope this helps. José [ JOSE Mar 03, 2014 ]
Sorry, I can tell you it works great with a thumb drive, but I have never tried to attach an actual disk drive. My assumption is that it would work because they look "identical" on a computer when plugged into a USB port. But, that's just an assumption. [ Robert Mar 02, 2014 ]
Hi, I don't know about using your hard drive with the ED Passport, however I was so disappointed with the Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS, that I returned it and installed an Alpine unit. The Pioneer is balky, has tiny virtual buttons on huge screen that id filled with useless graphics. The hands free phone function relies on the phone's voice commands rather than internal function. I don't know why Crutchfield promotes a such mediocre product. [ DENNIS Feb 28, 2014 ]
I tried it with a 160GB USB hard drive and it didn't work. I tried it with a 8 GB stick and it worked, bit it took a whole to load the files. Hoe it helps. [ MIKE Feb 28, 2014 ]
Not sure. Sorry [ PRODIGY Feb 28, 2014 ]
No, it does not. It is a great unit. [ TERRY L Mar 07, 2014 ]
No the radio does not have a detachable face plate. Though for both my cars it came with the exact dash mount surrounding the radio (replacing the stock version). Hope this helps. [ ANGELA Feb 28, 2014 ]
No it doesn't [ JOSHUA Feb 27, 2014 ]
I really don't think so. About 98% positive but I can check my car if you'd like [ RYKER Feb 26, 2014 ]
No it does not. [ NATE Feb 26, 2014 ]
No it does not [ TRAVIS KAUER EL Feb 26, 2014 ]
no [ SEAN MC Feb 26, 2014 ]
No. This radio is completed assemble. [ HARRY VEGA Feb 26, 2014 ]
The trim ring is detachable but not the complete face plate. Installed in our coach and it has been awesome. [ DAVE Feb 26, 2014 ]
No, it does not. [ RiskMan Feb 26, 2014 ]
No it does not. [ JASON Feb 26, 2014 ]
No detachable face plate. [ JENNIFER M Feb 26, 2014 ]
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Feb 25, 2014 ] Staff
no [ ELISE Mar 02, 2014 ]
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Jeff Feb 24, 2014 ] Staff
Zack, Only the audio will work for the I phone 5 even with the 167.00 dollar av cables [ ANTHONY Feb 16, 2014 ]
I also have a iPhone 5 and the gps does not show on my screen. If u figure it out please let me know how u did it [ MICHAEL L Feb 16, 2014 ]
I'm not sure how the GPS works. But with pandora it mirrors both on the unit and my phone. Crutch field should be able to answer the question for what people purchase [ MATTHEW Feb 16, 2014 ]
Zach, I apologize, I have not tried this feature yet. I do have both the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s and will probably try this out in a couple of months when I have a little more time to configure my system. [ Dilip Feb 16, 2014 ]
I think the audio is the only thing. There is no indication that a display is forwarded to the stereo, especially since Pioneer sells a GPS receiver for the unit. [ ROBERT Feb 16, 2014 ]
Im sorry i dont have a iphone to answer you question [ ANTHONY Feb 16, 2014 ]
Sorry Mike I don't have I phone. I use the android system and my Pioneer 3500 will give turn by turn directions that plays through and interrupts when updating you which seems to work great [ JOHN D Feb 11, 2014 ]
Adding later would require uninstalling the unit to access the rear. If that is practical then yes, you can add later. You also have the option of connecting your iPhone through Bluetooth but you will not have screen control of any music. I have not seen a cheaper option. The cable is very well made and if you put in your glove box and open and close as I do, you will appreciate the heavy sheathing. [ MIKE Feb 10, 2014 ]
You buy the adapter from Crutchfield. It connects to the back of the Pioneer. There are no front connects. It takes up a lot of space behind the unit. There are convertor modules in the cable. I had to cut a lot of plastic behind the dashboard to get it to fit in an 2003 Buick Enclave. [ MIKE Feb 10, 2014 ]
Sorry Mike I don't have I phone. I use the android system and my Pioneer 3500 will give turn by turn directions that plays through and interrupts when updating you which seems to work great [ JOHN D Feb 10, 2014 ]
He is correct, you need to buy the adapter but it can be put at any time. [ CARLOS Feb 10, 2014 ]
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Jeff Feb 06, 2014 ] Staff
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Jeff Feb 01, 2014 ] Staff
it does have aux inputs but I'm not sure if it would work in your application [ DAVID Jan 15, 2014 ]
Probably not. You'll have to trace down the madza cord and compare the ends. I would guess your stock aux input is hardwired to your vehicles radio harness. It's very easy to route the pioneers aux input to a location convenient in your vehicle [ COREY R Jan 15, 2014 ]
Dunno cant answer that I put mine in a gmc [ ANTHONY Jan 15, 2014 ]
11 answers Does this receiver have the capability to hook a backup camera to it? If so, what is the installation and use ability like for it? Is there a function you have to press to activate the camera picture? Most aftermarket cameras connect to the reverse lights so it only becomes active once you put the vehicle in reverse. [ Greg Dec 26, 2013 ]
Greg, Yes, this unit has the capability for a backup camera. It has an input for a video cable coming from the backup camera you choose. This unit has a reverse wire that is included in the wiring harness. Once connected, it will automatically turn on the screen for your backup camera when it senses the signal that the vehicle had been placed in reverse. [ JAMES Dec 30, 2013 ]
Greg, Under the Expandability section, the description states this receiver has rear-view camera input. How it will work depends on how you hook it up. If you power it from the reverse lights circuit it will come on only when in reverse. The installation instructions with the receiver says to hook it to the power, which means it can be turned on whenever. There is a screen icon on the home screen, which lets you turn it on anytime. [ Richard Dec 30, 2013 ]
According to the instructions, yes. I have not installed mine yet. But, I am als0 not going to be using a back up camera. Download the user manual for more specifics. Good Luck. [ MIKE Dec 28, 2013 ]
Yes, it does have that capability. Unfortunatly, I did not attempt to connect. [ DANNY Dec 28, 2013 ]
Yes it does. Seems to be fairly easy to install and is automatically wired to engage when you shift to reverse, [ KEN Dec 26, 2013 ]
I brought this DVD player ...haven't hooked it up yet ... but from what I know and looking at it there should be no problem hooking up a backup camera [ GEORGE W Dec 26, 2013 ]
It does have backup camera but I haven't installed it yet so I don't know any other details. Dave [ David Dec 26, 2013 ]
I got the 3500 in a few weeks ago for my 2014 wrx. I have a Backup camera hooked up to it and if I put the car in reverse it comes on automatically also with the way I wired it I use the tail lamp for the hot wire so the camera always has power, With the power always being there you can go on the home screen on the head unit and press the camera icon and have it show up without the car being in reverse. As far as the instillation goes there is 2 wires that go to the camera from the head unit A video wire and a trigger for the reverse.. it took me around 5-10 min to hook it up.. Also once you have everything installed you have to go into the head unit menu and choose your instillation to have it work automatically when put into reverse. hope this helps ya [ CHRIS Dec 26, 2013 ]
Hi Greg, This unit does have Rear Camera input. I am not yet using this feature, so I can't really give much insight. According to what I've read, it can be fully automatic and manually turned on. It looks like the only hard part to installing a Rear View Can is running the cable thru the car. There are several videos onYoutube that may help you. Hope this helps. [ Phillip Dec 26, 2013 ]
It is backup camera usable you need to go into the settings and look for camera.I have not used the camera. But it hooks up to the back of the stereo in the video hook up.if you need more info I'll try and post it when I have time. [ KEVIN T Dec 26, 2013 ]
Reading through the manual...it says it can handle a backup camera. I bought one online and will try to install. Got the head unit for Christmas and will install this week. Rich A from San Antone [ Richard Dec 26, 2013 ]
Modified fit means that there will be some level of modification needed to get this to fit. This may be very slight or could be more involved. You will want to contact an Advisor by phone or online chat to discuss further. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and let you know about the level of modification. If it seems like too much, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Jeff Dec 26, 2013 ] Staff
Not sure I'm still using 4S [ CHARLES S Dec 26, 2013 ]
It works with my iPhone 5. I pump most stuff through my blue tooth. Down loads through iTunes are flawless . Occasional music through YouTube have buffering issues. But overall I love the system. [ AARON K Dec 22, 2013 ]
"work flawlessly" is a little subjective. It does really well with bluetooth from the 5s, and you can hold the button on the left to reach Siri just fine, but without a special adapter cable (retails for $100) you won't be showing any iPhone apps on-screen. What's more is that the video interface for this unit (2013) is VGA (analog), whereas the new 2014 Pioneers have an HDMI interface. I didn't buy the cable for mine, but I think the cable adapter is simpler with the new one. I haven't plugged my iPhone into the usb cable for the "iPod interface", so no feedback on the quality or capability there. For me the Bluetooth connection is sufficient in terms of sound quality and function. One other thing to consider is that the unit will not permit you to play dvd video while the car is moving. [ THOMAS Dec 22, 2013 ]
It will work with the iPhone 5s but not flawlessly, there is an update for the head unit that is supposed to allow it to work better when you plug it into the unit. I have yet to install the update yet because I was not really worried about plugging it in. I do use it with blue tooth so as to do hands free calling and what not and it does work that way fantastically! [ ROBERT F Dec 21, 2013 ]
Unfortunately, no. While some features work as expected, it's far from flawless. I hear ANDROID users get access to additional features and have an overall better experience, but if seamless integration is what you're after I would start looking at some higher dollar models. [ JACOB DIETZ - Dec 21, 2013 ]
Yes my iPhone 5s works great with this unit. I have had zero issues with the functionality between the pioneer AVH - X3500BHS and the iPhone 5S [ GREH Dec 21, 2013 ]
Thanks everyone for responses. I was getting for a Toyota Sienna XLE and glovebox seems to be a bit far. I need it for charging cell phone etc. more than USB connectivity. Though I have the cig lighter adapter, the usb in front would be handy like I have in my newer Ford F150. I will see if the extension cabe can come into the CD box Sienna has below the gear lever than glove box for easier accessibility during driving. [ m.r.n Dec 21, 2013 ]
The unit came with a USB extention cord. I have mine hidden in the glove box, that way its accessible but not hanging from the front of the unit. Honestly it looks cleaner not having wires visible and still having that feature offered. [ ANDRE Dec 21, 2013 ]
The USB does come from the back.. With a cable extension you can either run it to the glove box or in my case the center console storage compartment. I can't remember if it includes the cable. You should be able to snake the cable to where you want to go without punching a hole. This is a great unit. Hope it helps. [ Winthrop Dec 21, 2013 ]
The unit came with a USB extention cord. I have mine hidden in the glove box, that way its accessible but not hanging from the front of the unit. Honestly it looks cleaner not having wires visible and still having that feature offered. [ ANDRE Dec 21, 2013 ]
No there is no USB port in the front of this head unit. It comes with an extension cable that you plug into the only USB port which is in the back of the unit and it then dangles from the underside of the dash. I suppose one can imagine some other clever way of installing it if willing to invest the brain power. Another way is scratching that plan and purchasing a mountable USB port from an electronics store and install it directly into the dash. I did this with the auxiliary jack which is also in the back of the head unit. It makes the install look much more professional. As for the USB cable, I have a cup holder/tray ensemble under the dash that the dangling cable rests nicely in. No need for the added expense of the dash mount. [ STEPHEN H Dec 21, 2013 ]
there is no front usb port as for the back it will depend on the type of car or truck you have i have a 03 chevy silverado and i have room to fish the i pod cable into my glove box bu if you don't have the room do not drill into your dash you might hit something and screw up your car and decrease the value of it if you would ever like to sell it and keep your radio. get an extension usb cable and fish it under your dash or if you have to drill ,do so at an angle on the side top or bottom of the install kit that comes with the radio . just keep it clean . i hope this helps good luck [ CHRIS R Dec 20, 2013 ]
I ran the usb cable from the rear into my glovebox. There's not a usb port on the front of the unit. However, it's rarely used since the bluetooth functionality is much more convenient. [ LEWIS W Dec 20, 2013 ]
There is a long USB cord that connects in the back and in my Malibu comes out near the aux charger below the radio. [ BOB Dec 20, 2013 ]
7 answers I'd like to know exactly what add-on items I would need to purchase with this Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS DVD receiver to work with my iPhone 5S? It appears in the specs it is saying I need two separate components but then I look at the available iPhone 5 adaptor and it would seem that's all I would need? I wouldn't be using this head with any other devices. [ James Dec 19, 2013 ]
I don't have a 5 I have a 4S but to hook it up I just use my standard charge/sync cable and plug it into the usb port on the radio. also you can just bluetooth it if you want to and that work well also. [ JOHN E Dec 20, 2013 ]
You don't need any separate components. Just use bluetooth to connect your phone and receiver. [ ELIJAY Dec 20, 2013 ]
According to my research the "kit" is all you need. Other financial priorities have kept me from taking that particular plunge just for navigation. The Bluetooth pairing works beautifully for both iphone and iTunes on both iPhone 4S and 5s . I also have the iPod adapter which becomes unusable with the full Kit. Its (iPod adapter) actually redundant because of the Bluetooth pairing on the iPhone. Sorry that I can't be more help. Crutch field tech support was extremely helpful to me during initial installation and setup for stereo, xm radio adapter and steering wheel interface. [ JEFFREY Dec 19, 2013 ]
I have used a 4S by hooking up a standard USB extension cord to the rear USB port of the radio and plugging the Apple 30 pin cord into the extension cord. It works fine like that. It also works well over Bluetooth. I have a new 5S but haven't had a chance to try it yet. [ AJR Dec 19, 2013 ]
It depends whether you want to play video from your iPhone or use the "App Radio" mode where the interface for an iPhone app runs on the receiver screen. I wasn't very interested in doing either of these things - the selection of compatible App Radio apps is small and uninspiring and who wants to watch a video on their car radio only while parked. For regular music and other audio use, all you'll need is an old-style 30-pin dock connector cable to plus into the supplied USB cable, and then one of the 30-pin to lightning adapters to connect it to your car. For some reason I don't think you can use a straight USB to lightning cable - I think it's because the lightning cable doesn't output analog audio. To be honest, even though I have the connector cable, I often just use Bluetooth to play audio. You lose the album art and (I think?) the ability to search for music on the receiver instead of the iPhone. But the ease of use of Bluetooth (it automatically reconnects and starts playing where you last left off every time you start the car) means that I often don't bother with the cable. Siri works pretty well over Bluetooth too using the included mic. [ ANDREW Dec 19, 2013 ]
James- it depends on what you're wanting to do with your phone. If want to view video, use Netflix or navigation apps, then you'll need a special adapter and cable. If you only want to pull music from the phone, then the supplied cable and your factory iPhone cable will work just fine. I hope this helps! [ JASON Dec 19, 2013 ]
Technically there are two parts of the solution. 1. You will need the lightning cable to connect your iPhone5s. 2. There is a software update for the head that will allow it to work properly with your device. [ CHRIS Dec 19, 2013 ]
It will also work with an iPhone using the dock connector cable (with a lightning adapter if it's an iPhone5/5s/5c). But like Chris says you'll have to control the app on your iPhone, not the receiver. [ ANDREW Dec 19, 2013 ]
It will work if streamed from the BT audio. However you will not have control over the app unless you're controlling it from your phone. [ CHRIS Dec 19, 2013 ]
I have not used Spotify however I have used Google play. There's a bluetooth media source for the radio so whatever sound plays over your phone can play. Yes even YouTube videos lol. I tend to use the Pandora app because when it is used it cuts the adds out for you! Hope this helps! [ JUSTIN Dec 19, 2013 ]
No [ PRODIGY Dec 18, 2013 ]
7 answers If you have an audio book on a usb drive, does the radio remember where you left off if you leave your car and return to it? What if you remove the usb drive and insert it later? Finally, can you pause music/audio books on a usb drive? Thanks so much for the help, it is truly appreciated. One other question, if you receive a call over blue tooth, does the unit automatically pause music on the USB drive? [ GMLSD Dec 12, 2013 ]
I have not tried an audio book on a USB drive, but have a lot of music on a USB so should be the same. The head unit will remember and pick up right where you left off as long as the USB stays plugged in. If you unplug it then it has to re read the drive and will not keep your place. Yes you can pause music on the USB. Not sure if the USB pauses or just mutes when receiving a call. I've never payed attention. I just know the sound turns off. [ RYAN Dec 14, 2013 ]
Thanks Scott, you confirmed what Vincent answered. Sounds like it will be the perfect head unit for us. [ GMLSD Dec 13, 2013 ]
I have never tried an audio book but it does remember where you were in music and video, even if you remove the usb drive, as long as you don't install a different usb drive in between. Yes it pauses music or video during a call. I have the Sirius/xm tuner that goes with that radio and it is amazing. it records up to 6 channels at a time, so you can scan and play back hours of music. it also pauses live music during a call. I hope my answer helps. [ Z28lt1Scott Dec 13, 2013 ]
Vincent, thanks for the detailed information, that is perfect and really appreciate your time. [ GMLSD Dec 13, 2013 ]
The radio remembers where you left off and picks up once you begin again. If you remove the USB and re-insert, it will start at the beginning; if its' a book then it will go to chapter 1. You can pause audio book /music on a usb. If you receive a call over Bluetooth the music will pause and resume after the call is complete. Thanks Vincent W B [ VINCENT W Dec 12, 2013 ]
You can pause and play anything through the buttons on any USB drive. And whenever I turn my car on and off it remembers where my phone stopped playing when it's hooked up through USB or whenever I unplug and plug it in as long as I don't mess with the music on my phone. So I would assume I it was a memory stick that it would pick up and stop at the same point. But I could be wrong. As far as when someone calls you. It pauses the music and lets you talk through the speakers and mic if you hook the mic up to it ( it's included. You mount it somewhere in the car) [ RYAN Dec 12, 2013 ]
I have not used that function. [ WILLIAM Dec 12, 2013 ]
4 answers I just had this unit installed. I can't get the iPod to work through the AUX connection. How do you get the AUX set up? I have one Ipod with books and another with music. I have tried to select AUX on the screen and I have been trying to find out how in the book that came with it. It will be very disappointing if the radio won't work with these iPods. They do not have Bluetooth. [ Paul Dec 10, 2013 ]
you need to use the the ipod cable that will support video it has an 1/8 inch jack that plugs in the back of the unit plus the normal usb plug. this cable will work for video and also music the standard ipod cable will only work with music and you will have to switch ipods for music and books . the video is going to be on the ipod input not aux. the aux is for an external dvd player or game system i hope this helps you and good luck happy holidays [ CHRIS R Dec 20, 2013 ]
I used mine via Bluetooth. But you should be able to plug it in with the ipod usb cord. If you use the headphone to headphone aux cord, you will only be able to put the ipod on play and listen that way. Does this make sense? I know the unit is compatible with a whole bunch of older ipods. [ COREY R Dec 12, 2013 ]
I got mine hook up to the USB connection [ JOSE E Dec 12, 2013 ]
Just press the button with the four squares then press system, then look for aux input and select on that should fix your problem or you can use a USB cable to connect your iPod [ ROBERTO Dec 12, 2013 ]
The biggest differences are that the AVH-X3500 includes HD Radio and is compatible with SiriusXM, while the 2500 does not have these features. [ Jeff Dec 03, 2013 ] Staff
I am not sure with android, but it does with iphone [ MICHAEL G Nov 29, 2013 ]
Yes I've used this function in Toledo Ohio recently and it works quite well.I also have android system phone Samsung galaxy note two. [ JOHN D Nov 29, 2013 ]
I can't speak from experience with an Android, but my if I have my iPhone 5 linked to my AVH-X3500BHS via Bluetooth, then phone calls, incoming alerts, and navigation all take precedence over music automatically. It's a great feature that works very well. It works seamlessly with my iPhone and would be willing to bet money it works seamlessly with Android as well. I hope this helps! [ CANDONINO R Nov 29, 2013 ]
Only the audio if you connect Bluetooth or hard wire. The image will still just be on your phone, but the audio should play through your speakers [ ERIK Nov 29, 2013 ]
works great [ SEAN MC Dec 05, 2013 ]
It use your Speakers in car and has a mic where can install anywhere in your vehicle work good for me seems to be problems [ JAMIL Nov 29, 2013 ]
It works pretty well for me. It may be your microphone placement. [ WHITNEY Nov 29, 2013 ]
Alex, I have installed this in a jeep, as long as I am parked or driving below 45 mph, and talk in a normal voice I am able to attend conference calls all my co workers comment that it sound as good as my land line, and better then my cell phone. [ ANTHONY Nov 29, 2013 ]
I bought the deck for my girlfriend to go in her 05 expedition. Put it in myself. So far it has been working great with her galaxy s3 . As soon as she turns her truck on it wants to connect with it. She plays misic through bluetooth alot. Seems to be workin just fine. I personally likr it. I shoulda bought it for myself lol [ SHANNON D Nov 27, 2013 ]
I have a iphone4s it works super and the pioneer aps are great. I can't comment on android the radio is great for the money [ SHAUNA Nov 26, 2013 ]
Works ok, I use Bluetooth and Pandora, no track time on screen only able to use next and previous track in bluetooth [ MICHAEL Nov 26, 2013 ]