Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Watch a product demo
Crutchfield: Pioneer 2014 DVD Receivers
From Scosche: How to attach MagicMount
Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS display and controls demo
From Pioneer: App Radio Live
Our take on the Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
Pioneer's AVH-X5600BHS offers the biggest screen and the most features available in the Pioneer DVD receiver lineup. Here's a rundown of what you'll get with this versatile receiver:
- Built-in Bluetooth®: Enjoy hands-free calling with your compatible phone, plus the ability to wirelessly stream and control music from your phone or other Bluetooth devices.
- Built-in HD Radio™ tuner: You'll notice the impressive sonic advantages right away — FM broadcasts that are near-CD quality, with AM that's as good as what you're used to on FM. You can tune into multiple channels on the same frequency, for more entertainment choices. Plus, the iTunes® tagging feature lets you save song info, so you can purchase the tracks you like later.
- MirrorLink™ ready: MirrorLink system provides in-dash control over a growing number of Android™ smartphones. You'll enjoy touchscreen control from your Pioneer over music, phone contacts, and select apps — connect your compatible phone via USB and enjoy a seamless experience. Pioneer's CD-ML100 MirrorLink adapter is required (not included).
- Optional satellite radio: Add a SiriusXM tuner and subscription for nationwide access to programming you can't get anywhere else — coast-to-coast reception is a huge plus if you travel constantly. And you'll never have to worry about data charges or coverage.
- Siri Eyes Free: If you've got an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5/5S/5C, you can take advantage of Siri Eyes Free functionality with a touch of the receiver's touchscreen, using your voice to to place calls, select music, hear notification, add reminders — even compose and listen to text messages.
7" LCD touchscreen display
The AVH-X5600BHS features a built-in HD Radio tuner.
Your music machine
You can connect your iPod or iPhone to the receiver's rear USB input and use the receiver's controls to access your playlists, with tools like Alphabet Search and Link Search to help you zero in on the song you want. Android users aren't left out in the cold. If your Android phone supports the media transfer protocol (MTP), you'll be able to browse and play back the music that's stored on your phone, no extra app required.
If you're a fan of streaming Internet radio, connect your iPhone to the receiver with an optional cable and take charge of your Pandora® account from the touchscreen, complete with thumbs-up and thumbs-down controls. And don't forget, you can also enjoy all your CDs, DVDs, discs full of MP3 or WMA music, or USB storage devices loaded with files.
Perfect sound for your ride
This Pioneer sports an 8-band equalizer for making your music sound perfect in your car, and you'll find an auto-equalization feature to tune your system (microphone required). Pioneer's Advanced Sound Retriever perks up the flat sound of compressed music by restoring high-frequency information. If you're looking to build a killer system, three pairs of preamp outputs make it easier to connect external amplifiers.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
Great HU easy to use. Sounds great.
B. ALLEN, Idaho
What's in the Box:
- DVD receiver w/ integrated 7" touchscreen monitor (10A fuse inserted in chassis)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (CXE5116)
- CR2025 3V lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 58" USB extension cable (w/ a male USB type-A connector on one end and a female USB type-A connector on other end)
- Microphone w/ visor-bracket (attached 13' cable termianted by a right-angle 2.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 6 Pan-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- Owner's Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty sheet (USA/Canada)
- DVD/CD receiver with internal amp (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- 7" motorized touchscreen with multi-angle adjustments
- Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- MIXTRAX for a DJ-inspired audio/visual experience
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control (see Details tab for model compatibility) — optional adapter required for viewing video content (see Details tab for info)
- playback and control of music files on compatible Android devices
- MirrorLink compatible
- Siri Hands Free compatible with iPhone 4S/5
- Pandora Internet radio control
- five customizable display colors and 112 key panel illumination choices
- fits double-DIN dash openings
- remote control
- plays audio/video content from CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Details tab for full capabilities)
- 8-band graphic equalizer with 7 preset EQ curves
- high- and low-pass filters
- Advanced Sound Retriever
- Auto-EQ equalizes for your car interior automatically (optional mic required)
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear A/V and USB inputs, rear-view camera input
- outputs: video output, 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power Output||14 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
Motorized 6.95" LCD Touchscreen: The Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS features a 6.95" TFT Active Matrix, 16:9 widescreen touchscreen display. The resolution of the display is 800 x 480 (RGB), for a total of 1,152,000 pixels. The touchscreen display allows you to control this unit and a paired Bluetooth device, or a connected component such as your iPod/iPhone or USB mass storage class device. Menus appear on screen for making function choices, audio adjustments, and setting up the system. The unit's touchscreen display is motorized. The 6.95" touchscreen display electronically slides down to load and eject your DVD/CD discs. The angle of the motorized touchscreen display can also be adjusted to five different positions to meet your viewing needs in the car.
- Widescreen Modes: You can choose from the following widescreen modes when playing back video - Full (4:3 picture is enlarged in the horizontal direction only; enabling you to enjoy a 4:3 picture without any omissions), Zoom (4:3 picture is enlarged in the same proportion both vertically and horizontally; ideal for a 16:9 screen), Normal (4:3 picture is displayed as it is).
- Picture Adjustments: You can store numerous video settings for the head unit's video source and rear-view camera; including brightness (adjusts the black intensity), contrast (adjusts contrast) color (adjusts color saturation), temperature (adjust the color temperature), and Dimmer (adjusts brightness).
- OSD + Backgrounds: The color of the on-screen display can be set to red, amber, green, blue or white. The background can be set to one of four preset still images, two moving images, a stored JPEG image, spectrum analyzer, or turned Off.
Note: The Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS offers English, Chinese, French, Portuguese, and Spanish text.
Favorites: You can register the desired menu items on the AVH-X5600BHS's "Favorites" menu screen. Registering your favorite menu items allows you to quickly jump to the registered menu item by a simple touch on the favorites menu. Up to 12 menu items can be registered as a "Favorite".
Front-Panel Control w/ Custom Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the bottom edge of the screen. The color of the button illumination can be set to red, amber, green, blue, white, or scan (constantly cycling through the color spectrum). You can also create a custom color to match your vehicle's interior lighting (112 colors to choose from).
MIXTRAX Illumination: MIXTRAX features a club-style illumination that enhances the mood with a dynamic dance club-like lighting effect. As MIXTRAX begins, lights start pulsing to the beat of the music, adding an extra level of entertainment. You can choose among twelve patterns of lighting variations from sound pressure level or low-pass synchronization modes. The lighting effects work like a spectrum analyzer, reaching peak colors based on the intensity of the music.
Dimmer: To prevent the display from being too bright at night, the display is automatically dimmed when the car's headlights are turned on. The automatic dimmer function only works when the orange/white illumination wire in the wiring harness is connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit.
Parking Brake Interlock: This unit has a parking brake interlock system that prohibits viewing of video programming and operating certain controls when the vehicle is in motion. In order to watch video on the in-dash monitor, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged. The head unit's light green wire must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. The head unit's touchscreen will display "Attention! Viewing of front seat video source while driving is strictly prohibited", if you try to watch a video when your vehicle is in motion.
2-DIN Chassis: The Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double-DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets. There is also an optional double-DIN sleeve (130ADTV133, sold separately) available for this unit that will allow you to Euro-mount or custom mount the Pioneer head unit in your vehicle. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
iPod Connectivity w/ DAC Bypass: The Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS supports direct connection of your 30-pin or Lightning-connector iPod/iPhone through its rear-panel USB port, RGB input, and 3.5mm jack. The AVH-X5600BHS offers audio/video playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select Apple iPod/iPhone models. It also provides a special AppRadio mode for iPhone 4/4S and iPhone 5/5C/5S users which allows you to access a variety of online music, navigation, and other helpful apps. The AVH-X5600BHS allows your iPod/iPhone's music library to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 91dB.
- Lightning Dock Connector: If you have an iPhone 5/5C/5S with the Lightning-connector, you can use Pioneer's CD-IV203 VGA Interface Cable Kit and the Apple Lighting-to-VGA adapter 472LT2VGA (both sold separately) to access stored music and videos, music and video apps, plus AppRadio Mode for playback of advance applications on the Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS. This setup also requires your iPhone 5/5C/5S be paired via Bluetooth to the head unit. If you desire only music playback from your Lightning-connector Apple device, simply use Pioneer's Lightning-to-USB cable (130CDIU52, sold separately) or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the AVH-X5600BHS.
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: If you have an iPhone 4/4S with a 30-pin dock connector, use the Pioneer CD-IU201S RGB/USB cable (130IU201S, sold separately) to enjoy playback of stored music and videos, music and video apps, plus access to AppRadio Mode for playback of advance applications on the Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS. If you do not own and iPhone 4/4S, but do have another older 30-pin dock connector iPod/iPhone, use the Pioneer CD-IU201V iPod Video cable (130IU201V, sold separately) for playback of music and movies files stored on your device, as well as music apps. Simply use Pioneer's dock connector-to-USB cable (130CDIU51, sold separately) or the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device if you desire stored music and music app playback only.
Note: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit will not charge the Apple iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Control + Song/Artist Info & Album Art: The Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS lets you control your iPod/iPhone from the head unit's touchscreen, your iPod/iPhone's touchscreen/clickwheel, or a downloaded app. The head unit supports song/artist information and album art.
- Head Unit: Head Unit mode is supported by 30-pin and Lightning connector iPod/iPhones when used with one of the appropriate cables mentioned above. From the head unit's touchscreen, you can search your iPod/iPhone's audio content by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook; and video content by Video Playlist, Movie, Music Video, Video Podcast, TV Show, or Rental. Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically (A-Z). In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder. In addition, the head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art. Older iPod/iPhone device's will be locked during connection, but Apple devices w/ iOS 6.0+ will stay unlocked so you can also control the iPod/iPhone from its touchscreen or clickwheel.
- App Mode: App Control allows you to navigate stored audio/video content from your connected iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. This is very useful for the person riding in your passenger seat. The App mode also lets you listen to your favorite music apps from your iPhone (iOS 3.0+) through the Pioneer head unit and your vehicle's speakers. In addition, you can watch video on the Pioneer A/V receiver's touchscreen from streaming movie apps downloaded on your iPhone 4/4S or iPhone 5/5C/5S. Not all apps will be compatible with App Mode and App Mode will provide only limited (basic), if any, control over the app. Available controls may include; Play/Pause & Skip Previous/Next. There is no music information displayed when this unit is set to "App mode". Instead, all music information will be displayed on your iPod/iPhone's LCD screen. App Control mode requires the CD-IV203 VGA Interface Cable Kit /Apple Lightning-to-VGA adapter (all sold separately) for Lightning connector Apple devices; and the CD-IU201V or CD-IU201S Pioneer cable (sold separately) for 30-pin dock connector devices.
Note: Video functions can only be accessed when the vehicle's parking brake is fully engaged.
AppRadio Mode: Using the Pioneer CD-IV203 VGA Interface Cable Kit / Apple Lightning-to-VGA adapter (all sold separately) to connect the AVH-X5600BHS to your iPhone 5/5C/5S (iOS 7.1.2) loaded with Pioneer's free AppRadio application from the Apple App Store, you can enjoy full on-screen access and control of your music, navigation, calendar, contacts, and more with an intuitive interface; formatted and designed specifically for safer in-vehicle operation. The same can be done with the iPhone 4/4S (iOS 4.3+) using Pioneer's CD-IU201S RGB/USB cable (sold separately). Pioneer has teamed up with app providers to offer compatibility with many of today's most popular in-vehicle apps, while also developing an expanding catalog of compatible apps for future use that can be easily & seamlessly added. Visit the Pioneer AppRadio Mode Site for the latest compatible apps. Compatible apps include (as of 9/25/2014):
|App Categories||Application Description|
|CarMediaPlayer: CarMediaPlayer allows you to swipe, drag, and directly touch the desired artist, song, or album in your music library directly from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen with Alphabet Search and Album View function. When you're searching through your library, Alphabet Search allows you to select the first letter in the desired song, album, or artist name from the Pioneer receiver making it quick an easy to get to the music you want. The iPhone version of the app even allows you to play and access your iTunes Match collection directly from the Pioneer's touchscreen. Stored movies and videos can also be accessed through the CarMediaPlayer.|
|Aupeo! Personal Radio: AUPEO! Personal Radio offers free online music. With more than 120 Internet radio stations available, users can search for their favorite music by artists, songs, genres, or AUPEO!'s "Mood-Tuner". Users can also choose to "love" or "ban" songs directly from the AppRadio screen, enabling the app to adjust content to the user's personal taste.|
|iHeartAuto: The iHeartAuto app provides safe, easy, and free access to more than 1,500 live radio stations from across the country. Plus, in the same app you can create custom stations based on your favorite artists or songs. With the top live radio stations in America and more than 15 million songs in our catalog, iHeartAuto features more music, backed by better music programming, than any other service available.|
|Rdio: Rdio (from for $4.99 per month) gives you access to over 8 million songs. You are able to search and find any song, album or artist, and start listening immediately. You can search music by new releases and chart toppers. You can also check out what other listeners have been listening to the most, or look at your own recent listening history. In addition, you can even create your own music collection or make your own playlists. Rdio will even recommend music for you, based on your previous music listening. The AppRadio will display Artist,/Album/Song information, as well as Album art.|
|StreamS HiFi Radio: The StreamS HiFi Radio app has been optimized the iPhone. The StreamS HiFi Radio app ($3.99) provides access to more than 4,000 live Internet radio stations from across the globe delivered in AAC/HE-AACv1/HE-AACv2 at 32kbps for high fidelity listening.|
|MyPV: The MyPV app for iPhone uses an up-to-date music video ranking system from eight countries across the world, so you can select your favorite promotional videos and create playlists. You can put videos registered on your playlists on continuous playback. Because you can also register search results from YouTube for playlists, you can easily create lists using your favorite videos. You can also repeat and loop videos registered on your playlists.|
|Stezza: Take control of your iPod music with style and ease, because the Stezza app ($0.99) has big buttons for big fingers. Featuring a modern design, playing music has never been safer when driving. Multiple color themes for the fashion conscious, all the usual controls, podcasts, and iTunes Match supported.|
|gMusic: Google Music allows you to keep up to 20,000 of your favorite songs in the cloud. Now you can listen to your entire music collection without having to use any space on your iOS device. gMusic offers full playlist editing, thumbs up playlist, metadata editing, and innovative navigation.|
|Mixtrax: Pioneer's proprietary MIXTRAX app from iTunes analyzes the music in your iTunes library to create custom playlists for non-stop song mixes with added DJ effects.|
|Apple Maps: You can view Apple maps on the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen as you would on your iPhone. Functionality is bundled with the Pioneer AppRadio app.|
|MotionX GPS Drive: The MotionX-GPS Drive App ($0.99) is available from iTunes for your iPhone. This navigation app also requires a $24.99 one time fee for the maps to display on-screen, and a one year $9.99 subscription for Voice Guidance feature. MotionX-GPS Drive is a complete GPS navigation solution, designed and optimized for the iPhone, that can be displayed on the Pioneer AppRadio. MotionX-GPS Drive helps you find what you're looking for and provides turn-by-turn directions with optional Live Voice Navigation, using industry-leading maps (including US and Canada). All the functionality of an advanced dedicated turn-by-turn GPS unit is presented in this intuitive iOS application. MotionX-GPS Drive Offers full support for the iPhone with multitasking, routing, and live voice guidance instructions continuing in the background; while you listen to streaming music from your car audio system or use other applications from the iPhone. The 2D/3D navigation map will be displayed on the Pioneer AppRadio, but you will still control the MotionX-GPS Drive Navigation app from your iPhone.|
|NavFree GPS Live: NavFree GPS Live is a free navigation app that offers turn-by-turn directions, voice and on-screen instructions, offline map use, address search, live searches via Google and Microsoft Bing, and many other features. Navfree is a completely free navigation app with no additional monthly charges. It uses map data created by a community of thousands of users around the world. The map gets downloaded to the phone so data connection is not required for navigating.|
|iGO Primo North America: The iGO primo app ($24.99) is powered by the same tried-and-trusted iGO Engine used in millions of GPS navigation devices around the world. The maps are part of the application so there are no roaming fees (no need for cellular network coverage). Highlighted features include; fast, short, easy-to-follow, and green routes, automatic route recalculation, multipoint-route support, smart keyboard & history, TTS Pro, in-app shop, local/POI search, and more.|
|INRIX Traffic: INRIX is a leading provider of highly accurate traffic services. INRIX's strategic partnership with Clear Channel Radio and Total Traffic Network extends the delivery of the highest quality data and broadest coverage available for personal navigation. The INRIX Traffic app ($24.95 lifetime subscription) for iPhone provides real-time traffic information and traffic forecasts for all major highways, interstates, arterials and city streets nationwide. Traffic information will be displayed on the AppRadio, while control is still handled from the iPhone.|
|Sygic: The Sygic app ($29.99) offers high quality TomTom maps stored on your iPhone together with a robust set of navigation features to help you drive with confidence.|
|Waze: Waze is a cool social GPS driving and navigation app that connects you to other drivers. When you download Waze, you not only get a free GPS traffic & navigation app, but also become part of the local driving community in your area, joining forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time and gas, and improve everyone's daily commute.|
|DashCommand: Utilizing the built-in GPS & accelerometer sensors of the iPhone 4/4S, the DashCommand app ($49.99) displays advanced vehicle and driving statistics. When connected to a compatible vehicle's OBD-II data port (using the Automatic Car Adapter; sold separately) advanced data monitoring, logging and analysis are enabled. Users can create and display up to 27 virtual dashboards with many styles including digital gauges, analog gauges, indicator lights, and more, which can all be accessed on the Pioneer head unit's screen. Compatible with more than 13 OBD-II compliant interfaces, the app can also be used as a scan tool to read vehicle trouble codes.|
|Beej!: Beej! for iPhone ($1.99) is an in-vehicle location/navigation application ($1.99). Beej! quickly identifies your position and allows you to select the nearest bank, bar, gas station, hospital, hotel, restaurant and more. Beej! provides a complete list of all the businesses in the category selected, including the distance from your current location and address, with options to get directions (via MotionX-GPS Drive app) or place a call to the selected business. The layout and aesthetics provide optimal in-vehicle viewing, without becoming a distraction for drivers from safe vehicle operations.|
|Extra Mile: Extra Mile ($1.99) is an all-in-one app for convenient voice navigation that gives audio feedback to improve your driving performance and conserve fuel.|
|Parkopedia: Parkopedia ($1.99) has grown to cover over 25 million parking spaces in 28 countries around the world thanks to contributions from other drivers. Use this app to find parking using your current location or by entering an address. Get directions straight to the space and see parking space availability in real-time (where available). Find opening hours, up to date prices, payment methods and more. You can quickly narrow down parking choices using filters such as free, credit cards accepted, covered, etc.|
|CarBrowser: CarBrowser ($1.99) allows you to search and navigate the internet directly from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen while the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.|
|Commute WX: CommuteWX ($2.99) provides real-time weather information (current/forecast/in-route). Weather conditions are featured in large, easy to read graphics in a streamlined user interface that's well suited for in-vehicle travel.|
|EC Touch: The EasyCar app is designed specifically for AppRadio and provides large icons, simple commands, and swipe gestures that enable you to access your iPhone's music, contacts, mapping, and more.|
|Top Headlines: The Top Headlines app (free) is an audible news app which lets you listen to the most recent new updates from multiple sources.|
|Contacts: Access your iPhone's contacts. This function is bundled with the Pioneer AppRadio app.|
|Calendar: Access your iPhone's calendar, so you can view important events and reminders. This functionality is bundles with the Pioneer AppRadio app.|
|Photos: You can view photos stored on your iPhone. Access albums and camera rolls, and even view a slideshows. Functionality is bundled with the Pioneer AppRadio app.|
AppRadioLive: Now within the AppRadio App mode is the AppRadioLive App for iPhone 4/4S and iPhone 5/5C/5S (iOS 7.1.2). The AppRadioLive app simplifies AppRadio mode and your drive by combining the information you need during your commute into a single, easy-to-use interface. Maps, media, news information, and your events calendar are within reach within a smooth and intuitive interface on the head unit's touchscreen.
- Maps: The AppRadioLive app uses the native maps from your smartphone overlaid with INRIX live traffic data to provide live traffic and incident information to give you an estimated time of arrival at your chosen destination. You can even use Yelp to find points of interest along the way, including restaurant ratings and reviews. The AppRadioLive map feature also allows destinations to b exported directly into any of the user's favorite AppRadio compatible navigation apps; such as MotionX-GPS Drive, iGO Primo, Navfree, and Waze to obtain route and voice guidance.
- Media: AppRadioLive also lets you play your stored music library directly from your smartphone. And, you can access over 25 millions songs from your Rdio account. Or, you can access over 25,000+ radio shows and podcasts from your Stitcher account.
- News: AppRadioLive lets you stay up to date on the latest news with the help of Feedly and text-to-speech technology. You can check the weather for your current location, home, work, or destination.
- Calendar Events: The AppRadioLive app lets you stay organized by accessing your smartphone's calendar and Facebook events in a single, simple interface. Learn about nearby concerts, sporting events and more with EventSeeker, and easily add those events to your calendar.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer AVH-5600BHS supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 5/21/2015):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||App Mode||AppRadio||Pandora||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
MirrorLink (for Samsung & Sony): The Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS provides compatibility with MirrorLink, an in-vehicle connectivity standard created by the Car Connectivity Consortium (CCC). MirrorLink offers seamless connectivity between your compatible smartphone and the Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS receiver using the Pioneer CD-ML100 MirrorLink Interface Adapter (130CDML100, sold separately). The MirrorLink interface lets you access certain music, map, and phone applications from the head unit's touchscreen for a more convenient and safer in-car experience. MirrorLink certified mobile devices include select Samsung & Sony smartphones.
- Drive Link for Samsung Galaxy S 3/Note 2: To use MirrorLink with your Samsung Galaxy S 3 or Note 2, the free "Drive Link" application must be downloaded from Samsung Apps and installed on your compatible Samsung Galaxy S 3 smartphone (running Jelly Bean or Ice Cream OS). Once downloaded, individual apps are grouped into three categories (Music, Location, Phone) for easy access.
- Sony Xperia Z: The Sony Xperia Z (with latest firmware update) does not require an additional app download.
Note: The MirroLink interface adapter plugs into the RGB port of the AVH-X5600BHS. Because MirrorLink and AppRadio mode require the RGB port, you can only use one.
MirrorLink App: To use MirrorLink with your Samsung Galaxy S 3 or Note 2, the free Drive Link application must be downloaded from Samsung Apps and installed on your compatible Samsung Galaxy S 3/Note 2 smartphone. The Sony Xperia Z does not require an app download. Once connected, individual apps are grouped into three categories ("Music", "Location/Drive", "Phone/Call") for easy access. You'll be able to quickly access your stored music, navigation maps, as well as hands-free phone calls directly from the Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS's touchscreen.
- Music: You can listen to every music file stored in the smartphone. You can search for your music files by Favorites, Playlists, Artists, Albums, or All Songs.
- Location (Drive): You can navigate via Google Maps. You are able to speak and type destinations. The app provides you with an on-screen map screen and audible directions.
- Phone (Call): The app retrieves all contact information stored in the smartphone. You can make and answer phone calls from the head unit's touchscreen, just as you would normally do on your smartphone. The head unit will even read aloud text messages and let you reply.
Note: For more information regarding MirrorLink, please visit www.mirrorlink.com.
Bluetooth Technology: The AVH-X5600BHS is equipped with built-in Bluetooth ver. 3.0 (powered by Parrot), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), HSP (Head Set Profile), OPP (Object Push Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS.
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the AVH-X5600BHS without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When a registered Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. Up to 3 Bluetooth-compatible devices can be registered to this head unit; only one device can be used at a time.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The AVH-X5600BHS supports wireless hands-free communication (HFP/HSP/OPP/PBAB) for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker during an incoming call. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call. The AVH-X5600BHS allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode. Using the AVH-X5600BHS, you can dial a phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: You can make a call by entering the phone number using the head unit's touchscreen keypad (0-9, *, #, +, C).
- Speed (Preset) Dialing: You can easily store up to six phone numbers as presets for speed dialing.
- Phone Book: The phone book in your Bluetooth enabled cellular phone will be transferred automatically when the phone is paired to this unit. After finding the number you want to call in the phone book from the head unit, you can select the entry and make the call. If a lot of numbers are registered in the phone book, you can search for a phone number by the contact person's name alphabetically (A-Z).
- Call Log: The 80 most recent calls dialed, received, and missed are stored in memory. You can browse them and call numbers from these lists.
- Voice Control: If your Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone is equipped with the voice control feature, you can use voice commands to make calls.
Note: Advanced phone operations that require attention, such as dialing numbers on the touchscreen monitor or adjusting Bluetooth settings, are prohibited while driving. The vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to access these functions.
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Metadata Display): The Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The head unit can stream music stored on your Bluetooth enabled device or music apps you have downloaded on your device. The AVH-X5600BHS will be able to control basic playback features; Play, Pause, & Skip Tracks (app must also support). The head unit will also display your music's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title. (app must also support). When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call.
Siri Eyes-Free Functionality: When paired and connected with an iPhone with Sir via Bluetooth, the Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen and external microphone for "Siri Eyes-Free" functionality. When activated, Siri voice prompts play through the vehicle's speakers and the user's commands and questions are received and transmitted to the receiver using the external microphone. Siri Eyes-Free provides access to many iPhone Siri functions such as music selection, making phone calls, and audible navigation (map will be displayed on iPhone); as well as listening to text messages, calendar information, and reminders. The head unit's touschreen monitor will only indicate hands-free calling and song/artist information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Note: Your iPhone with Siri can be connected via Bluetooth and USB simultaneously. You can only access stored music using Siri when the head unit's source is iPod or Bluetooth Audio. All other Siri functions can be accessed from any source. The head unit's audio is muted while Siri provides audible voice prompts.
Compatible Discs: The 6.95" touchscreen display electronically slides down to load and eject your DVD/CD discs. The AVH-X5600BHS supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs with music, video, and photo files.
USB Port: The unit's rear-panel USB (type-A) port and 58" USB extension cable allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) or USB Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) compliant device; such as your Android smartphone, portable digital audio player, or USB thumbdrive. The USB port enables playback & control of music, video, and photo files stored on your portable USB MSC device and music only on your USB MTP device through the Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (1A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The unit's rear-panel USB port supports Android OS 4.0+ (Ice Cream Sandwich/Jelly Bean) as a Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) device. It also supports Android OS 2.2+ (Froyo/Gingerbread) as a Mass Storage Class (MSC) device; as of 12/18/2013. The receiver does not support Android OS 3.1+ (Honeycomb) or other Android operating systems not listed.
Compatible Media Files: The Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or inserted USB device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW, DVD-R/-RW/-R DL)||USB (MSC/MTP)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Romeo, Joliet, UDF||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||
MP3: 8-320kbps bit
rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
8-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
WMA: 48-320kbps bit rate; 32-48kHz sampling rates
AAC: 16-320kbps bit rate; 11.025-48kHz sampling rates
WAV: 8- or16-bit rate; 16-44.1k sampling rates (not supported by MTP)
DivX: 720 x 576 max resolution; 2GB max file size (not
supported by MTP)
MPEG-1/2/4: 720 x 1280 max resolution; 8GB max file size (not supported by MTP)
|Photo||JPEG: max resolution of 8192 x 7680 (not supported by MTP)|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||
99 folders/999 files (700 folders/3,500 files for DVD)
|1,500 folders/15,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver. 1.0,/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags|
Note: Videos and Photos can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
Advanced Playback & Search Functions (for USB): Advance playback functions include; Music Browsing which lets you browse your USB memory device's music library by Artist, Album, Song, or Genre from the head unit in alphabetical order; and Link Play which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Play lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre.
Parental Lock: This unit features an 8-level Parental Lock system protected by a user-selected 4-digit password to prevent certain DVD's from being played back on the AVH-X5600BHS.
Installation Angle: Optimum disc playback performance is obtained when the unit is installed at an angle of less than 30-degrees.
HD Radio: The Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS's built-in HD Radio tuner lets you listen to the radio with the same fidelity as your digital music. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multi-casting, and data services. With HD Radio, your FM stations offer near CD-quality sound, AM stations provide FM-like sound, and there is crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion. Best of all, HD Radio is 100% subscription free. The unit's tuner also supports analog AM/FM broadcasts.
- Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 3 multicast programs (HD1 to HD3, and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
- Station Text/Album Art + RDS: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. The head unit also supports Album Art from select HD Radio stations. For analog FM stations, the Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as song/artist information when listening to compatible RDS FM stations.
- Supertuner IIID: The Supertuner IIID features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- Reception Blending: If a digital broadcast reception condition gets poor, this unit automatically switches to the analog broadcast of the same frequency level. If this function is set to "On", the tuner switches between digital broadcast and analog broadcast automatically. If this function is 'Off', reception will be conducted within an analog broadcast.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): The BSM (Best Stations Memory) function lets you automatically store the six strongest analog or HD stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 level of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
- iTunes Tagging: It is possible to save the song's information (tag) from a HD Radio or RDS FM broadcasting station to your USB-direct connected iPod/iPhone. The songs will show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the next time you sync your iPod/iPhone. Then you can directly buy the songs you want from the iTunes Music Store.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to www.hdradio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Pandora App: The free Pandora App (either from iTunes Apps or Google Play) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) or Bluetooth paired Android smartphone. Your Apple iPhone must be connected to the AVH-X5600BHS via the appropriate Pioneer iPod connector cable (CD-IU51 / CD-IU52 / CD-IU201V / CD-IU201S) or the connector-cable that came with your iPhone. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the Pioneer AVH-4600BT. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. The Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS will provide control over the Pandora music service & display Artist, Album, & Song information; as well as Album art.
- Station List w/ Shuffle: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z). You can also listen to songs played randomly from various stations within your Station List.
- New Stations: New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song/artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada & only available in the United States.
SiriusXM Ready: The Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS CD receiver is SiriusXM Ready, so you can listen to commercial-free music, all your favorite sports, exclusive talk and entertainment, comedy, news, traffic, weather, and more. Simply connect the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV200, sold separately) to the dedicated SiriusXM port on the rear of the head unit and enjoy satellite radio without additional translators or cables. With the SiriusXM Connect tuner you'll have access to more than 150 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM, via the "SiriusXM All Access" package (subscription required). Visit SiriusXM.com for a complete list of subscription options and channel guide. Additional features of the SXV200 SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel/Category Lists: The Channel List displays a list of all available channels. The Category List displays all available categories and stations within those categories.
- Metadata Display: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD touchscreen.
- Presets: You can store up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio Station Presets.
- Tune Start: Tune Start allows you to choose whether to start a song from the beginning or from its live point when tuning to a preset music channel.
- Tune/Category Scan: You can scan through channels within categories or songs from your preset channels. Tune Scan allows you to play back six seconds of each song in a preset music channel. Category Scan lets you play back six seconds of a live broadcast in the currently selected category.
- Instant Replay: Supports the SiriusXM Instant Replay function, so you can pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of live content.
- iTunes Tagging: The iTunes Tagging feature lets you Tag songs you hear on SiriusXM and stores the info on your iPod/iPhone (connected to your head unit via USB). The next time you connect your iPod/iPhone to iTunes, you will be able to preview your selections and then purchase and download them directly from iTunes.
- Parental Control: The SiriusXM Parental Control feature allows you to control access to channels that you consider inappropriate for younger listeners. When enabled, The Parental Control feature requires you to enter a 4-digit passcode to tune to the locked channels.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
24-Bit/96kHz DAC: For superb quality audio playback from DVDs, CDs, and flash media, the Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS is equipped with a 24-bit/96kHz digital-to-analog converter.
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: This receiver is equipped with a 50 watts x 4 (peak) MOSFET amplifier for low distortion, high power output. The amplifier is strong enough to power small subwoofers to moderate volume levels in compact cars and pickups. For higher volume levels from subwoofers, an optional amplifier may be connected to the preamp outputs.
- CEA2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
Note: The power specifications for the AVH-X5600BHS are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4V/6CH Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS features three pair of 4.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS lets you adjust the subwoofer preamp output's phase (normal/reverse) and volume (+6 to -24).
Crossovers: The AVH-X5600BHS employs high pass and low pass crossovers to tailor the head unit to your connected speakers.
- HPF: The head unit's 12dB/octave high pass filter only allows frequencies higher than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125Hz) to your front and rear speakers through the unit's speaker-level or line-level outputs.
- LPF: The subwoofer preamp output features an18dB/octave low pass filter so only frequencies lower than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125Hz) are output to your connected subwoofer.
EEQ (Easy EQ) w/ 8-Band Graphic EQ: There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2. The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 8-band graphic equalizer (40Hz, 80Hz, 200Hz, 400Hz, 1kHz, 2.5kHz, 8kHz, and10kHz).
Auto EQ (Optional): The auto-equalizer automatically measures your car's interior acoustic characteristics, and then creates an auto-equalizer curve base on that information. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone (130CDMC20, sold separately) is required to use this function. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone plugs into your compatible Pioneer A/V receiver's rear-panel AUX 3.5mm input. The Auto-EQ microphone should be placed in the center of your vehicle's driver seat headrest facing forward for EQ measurement.
Audio Settings: The head unit provides further sound adjustments for your car audio system.
- Sonic Center Control: Sound that is suited for the listening position can easily be created with this function. You can adjust sound more toward the listening position left (7) to right (7).
- Advanced Sound Retriever: The Advanced Sound Retriever automatically enhances compressed audio and restores the original richness of the recording. When the Advanced Sound Retriever is on, the high frequency range is compensated to match the frequency response curve to the original sound. There are two available levels of the Advanced Sound Retriever effect.
- Loudness: The Loudness function compensates for deficiencies in the low- and high-frequency ranges at low volume. You can set the Loudness to High, Mid, Low, or Off.
- Bass Boost: You can easily boost the subwoofer bass level by using the Bass Boost function. The Bass Boost feature allows you increase the subwoofer level from 0 to +6 (12dB).
- Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source (AM, Pandora, iPod, Apps) to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the unit's FM volume level, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4 dB to +4 dB.
MIXTRAX: Drawing from Pioneer's rich DJ heritage and passion for music, MIXTRAX delivers a unique DJ infused listening experience to listeners in the car. MIXTRAX is an innovative Pioneer technology that creates a non-stop mix of your music library complete with a range of DJ-inspired effects. MIXTRAX takes your typical music listening experience and creates a non-stop mix of your music with 9 random DJ effects and transitions, by removing the breaks and pauses normally introduced between tracks and replacing them with various beats. MIXTRAX is compatible with USB-connected iPhone, iPod, USB MSC device, and select Android devices. There is also a Short Playback option which limits the amount of time each track plays; select from 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, or 3 minutes.
Note: The MIXTRAX function does not work in App/Media App Control mode or with the Pandora App for iPod/iPhone/iPad. It is also not supported by USB MTP devices.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation.
Dual AV Inputs: The Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS has dual AV inputs to connect two external audio/video sources. The head unit has a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack AV input for connecting a portable audio/video device. There is also a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA AV input for connecting a video component such as a mobile TV tuner or game console. The rear-panel 3.5mm minijack input also serves as the A/V input for your USB-connected iPod/iPhone (using the proprietary Pioneer cable).
Video Output: The AVH-X5600BHS features a rear-panel composite video output that allows you to connect an external display to the unit. You can play back the same video source which is being played on the head unit. You can select the unit to output a 16:9, Letter-Box or Pan-Scan aspect ratio to match your external display's screen size.
Rear-View Camera: The AVH-X5600BHS is equipped with a composite video rear-view camera input for the addition of an optional backup camera (130NDBC6, sold separately). The unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear camera image. When the vehicle's transmission is put in reverse, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (violet/white wire of the harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.8 seconds. Pioneer recommends using a camera with a mirror image (reversed) output. Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
Navigation Ready: The Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS allows you to connect the Pioneer AVIC-U260 add-on navigation unit (130AVIC260, sold separately) through its RGB Input. This versatile hideaway unit allows you to switch to navigation mode with the touch of a button. Get to your destination by inputting an address or search through the POI library while enjoying whatever source is currently playing.
Note: If you are already using the head unit's RGB input to access AppRadio Mode from your iPhone or MirrorLink from your compatible smartphone, then you cannot connect this add-on navigation module (or vise-versa).
Wireless Remote Control: The Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS includes an IR remote control (CXE5116) for wireless operation of the multimedia head unit and your connected devices.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
by Alexander Hrabe
Bluetooth compatibility is a top priority when buying a new car receiver. We tested six receivers to find out which ones used it best.
41 questions already asked
1 answer Galaxy note 4 connects to everything without issue, but I keep receiving a pairing code. Everytime I turn the car on it prompts my phone 10-15 times, and the options are 'OK' and 'Cancel', but hitting either one does not matter. Connection will still be fine, and prompts will still continue. Stops after about 5 minutes. Anyone know what's going on? [ Chris Jun 30, 2015 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Jun 30, 2015 ] Staff
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Jun 23, 2015 ] Staff
1 answer Bluetooth works fine for both media and phone, but every time the car/unit is turned on it it sends pairing codes for 3-5 minutes. My phone is saved in the bluetooth connection, and automatically reconnects every time without issue, but the pairing codes just won't stop. Any idea what the issue may be? [ Chris Jun 11, 2015 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Jun 12, 2015 ] Staff
2 answers Does this product support playlists on USB drive? I have not found a way to get one to read. It seems odd that such a high tech unit would be missing something so basic so I'm hoping I'm missing something. And I know you can playlist on a device playing through the unit, but I keep thousands of tracks connected at all times to the USB. [ Chris Jun 10, 2015 ]
To be honest with you, I haven't tried to play a playlist stored on a USB drive. I mostly use spotify, soundcloud, and other music on my iPhone. [ Tennille Jun 11, 2015 ]
Yes this unit will support playlist, but you will need to add the playlist to a folder and name it. Example playlist 80's music. Create a folder on your flash drive inside the music folder and name it 80's playlist, then drag the playlist files into the folder. This seams to be the easiest way I have found. Also make sure your files are in the correct format like MP3 [ Jerome Jun 10, 2015 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Jun 07, 2015 ] Staff
Download Appradio (pioneer app). Then download a nav app. I use Waze. There are several [ MARK A May 21, 2015 ]
You have too get the cord that hooks up too your phone and the device. [ JAZMYNE May 21, 2015 ]
STill trying to figure this unit out there's so much to it and to add on to it.I have managed to add a pic. Off my phone to the background every time you it on.??? Just start playing with different options my only answer for now. [ JASON May 19, 2015 ]
Yes you can add your own picture or "skin". You can also customize hard button color and soft button colors. [ BRANDON May 07, 2015 ]
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Apr 07, 2015 ] Staff
You have to buy a separate component. It's called mirrorlink. Usually costs $100.00 more to the total of the Head Unit. Then you have to buy another component. You would do better getting a AppRadio to mirror your phone. [ George Apr 10, 2015 ]
You need a mirror link Pioneer CD-ML100 interface about $100 [ CORNELL Apr 05, 2015 ]
It should the Bluetooth interface is great. The usb should work regardless of the phone. [ Christian Apr 05, 2015 ]
I don't know. Haven't tried WMA format. [ MICHAEL Mar 23, 2015 ]
Yes. It's worth noting that you'll have to install a bypass relay if you want to have video playback while the car is in gear. [ William Mar 12, 2015 ]
Sorry haven't had time to figure out all the features this unit offers summers around the corner and plan on a massive audio upgrade. And finnally figure what you can do with pioneers avh 5600 [ JASON Mar 12, 2015 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Feb 03, 2015 ] Staff
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: For full app function you'll need this bundle http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rXYEc111/cart/EmailCart.aspx?emKey=1213180 If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Feb 03, 2015 ] Staff
Indeed offers a Subwoofer level control. - Subwoofer toggle on/off. - Low-pass filter with a few pre-set level options... I think 50Hz, 80Hz, and so on.. - Reversible current - ... and level from 0 to +6 [ rchan Jan 30, 2015 ]
Yes it does [ Greg Jan 29, 2015 ]
Yes. As far as sub on and increasing decreasing sub level. It's actually a great deck. Good luck. [ DEANNA Jan 29, 2015 ]
Yes this has a seperate sub control.there's a lot of things that this head unit can do.plus a lot of extra accesories that can be added on.I still have a lot to learn about this unit.very impressive unit. [ JASON Jan 29, 2015 ]
The ability to retain steering wheel controls with aftermarket receivers will be determined by the receiver you are using and the vehicle you have. For full information on this type of integration (including the parts you will need) please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Jan 19, 2015 ] Staff
Yes, unfortunately, and many people were complaining about this on the Pioneer facebook page not too long ago. [ Leah Dec 26, 2014 ]
No unfortunately it does not, & if it does I am unaware how ?? [ Shawna Dec 07, 2014 ]
No. I also upgraded from the iPhone 4s to the 6 and found out the app radio doesnt work with iOS 8. Also now after using the phone I have to reboot my phone each time afterwards or I will not have any sound. Kinda wish I got something else now. [ Daniel Dec 05, 2014 ]
No it does not. [ SCOTT Dec 05, 2014 ]
Not that I have seen. All mine says is that you have received a message. I highly doubt this would be a good idea as they don't want you reading a text message while driving. Much like watching a movie while the car is not in park. [ ERIC Dec 04, 2014 ]
It does not from my note 3 but may with a Apple phone [ Camron Dec 04, 2014 ]
No [ Scott Dec 04, 2014 ]
I have one and really enjoy it. So to answer some of your questions. There's no built in memory. I use my phones GPS and connect it the the unit via Bluetooth. There is an upgrade available for GPS thru Pioneer which is an additional cost. I am not sure about adding an external hard drive. There are some basic apps but for the most part your stuck with only a few. There's is a mirror mode type function to display your phone's display but you need an extra cable and that's an additional cost. Lastly, it does have Bluetooth but not WiFi.... Hope that helps [ Jonathan Nov 28, 2014 ]
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Nov 24, 2014 ] Staff
I had a professional installer do my system and am not able to answer this question . [ Thomas Aug 03, 2014 ]
I took all of the factory crap out of my 2012 Jeep Wrangler and ran two Alpine amps under the right seat. For speakers I put in Polk audio 6 1/2 separates in the front and rear with a Polk Audio 8 inch in the factory sub box [ THOMAS E Aug 02, 2014 ]
This will depend largely on your vehicle. For details on installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on what you will need for an installation. [ Krissy Jul 09, 2014 ] Staff
I think by turning off the sub it turns off the 2 RCA out puts. If your speakers are connected from an amp that is powered by the RCAs then they will turn off. If the front and rear speakers are wired and powered from the deck, then they won't turn off. My front and rear speakers are powered by the deck so they don't turn off. I have a sub powered by an amp which is powered by the RCA so that will turn off by the switch in settings. [ Greg Jun 23, 2014 ]
I am not sure if the front and rear speakers hookup using RCA or just wires. I thought they were just wires. Either way when I turned sub off I still had sound from front and rear speakers [ Greg Jun 23, 2014 ]
In settings there is a on off button for the sub woofer. It kills the power to the subs which are powered by the amp, which is powered by the RCA outs [ Greg Jun 23, 2014 ]
You can turn the subwoofer portion off, but you cannot turn the internal amplification for all channels off. Maybe try adjusting the EQ settings? [ Austin Jun 22, 2014 ]
I have found bluetooth streaming of music on this unit to be quite awful. I've had all kinds of problems using it in bluetooth mode. I'm not sure if you are running android or iPhone on this unit, but I found the iPod mode to work much better. I know it sounds strange, but I've had absolutely no problems streaming music from my iPhone while in iPod mode. All music info is displayed on the head unit. I hope this helps. [ DAVID Jun 13, 2014 ]
I notice that not all devices that pair up provide the Video or Picture. It is not the Radio Unit. [ SCOTT Jun 08, 2014 ]
Wish I could help. Unfortunately I have to wait three weeks before I can even install my new radio because crutchfield didn't include the mountig parts with the order. I found out after the radio arrived that the parts are on back-order. Took multiple calls just to finally get an ETA. [ Daniel Jun 08, 2014 ]
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Greg May 24, 2014 ] Staff
4 answers There are a couple of confusing reviews of this unit...one review states he could not dim the unit unless the parking brake is engaged?? Is this true? I want to be able to dim if necessary without having to stop the car. Another reviewer said the bluetooth doesnt work unless the parking brake is on..which would defeat the purppose of bluetooth for calls if you have to stop to use it. I want to make sure maybe these are just user/installation errors. [ Andrew May 18, 2014 ]
is this radio compatible with a nissan xterra 2005? [ Gene May 31, 2014 ]
I cannot dim my Pioneer avh-X5600bhs either .I can make it dimmer or brighter only with the parking brake on. not while driving. when I turn my lights on or off '' the radio does not dim or brighten as it should ". My older AVH-3400BH works fine. I checked the wiring and its wired right. as for the Bluetooth it works ok. [ GERALD J May 28, 2014 ]
I have yet to find any dimming settings but the screen does dim down when you turn your headlights on. As for bluetooth, you do not need the parking brake engaged. The only thing that needs the parking brake is video content. [ Joshua May 22, 2014 ]
To my knowledge it dims automatically when the headlights are turned on, at least mine does. [ RONALD May 21, 2014 ]
I don't know because I have a Blackberry and 2nd gen itouch that I plug into the aux jack that came with the unit. [ TIMOTHY May 20, 2014 ]
I have IPhone so don't think I can answer question. Several box stores are carrying this model, so tKe your phone and IPod in, link them, and see what happens. You may not be able to call, but it should transition from musici to Bluetooth if it works. [ MARK A May 16, 2014 ]
You can Bluetooth your phone to the deck, then what I did snd love is the lightning cord I bought with this also. You could also run your iPod thorough the aux, which that cable is also extra, but running the iPod through the USB cord located on the back of the deck where you run the USB cord somewhere that you will hook it up. I think this is the best way bc you can control the whole iPod through the deck and the cord charges your iPod, it does my phone, so you could just run the cord to the console and never have to tough it. You will just hit the iPod input button on the touch screen and control the whole iPod through the deck. Always have had a pioneer deck, have so many good features. [ Ray May 16, 2014 ]
you cannot have 2 sources of bluetooth synced, however you can sync your ipod for music via a cable, and your phone synced via bluetooth for calls, both at the same time. hope this helps. [ SHAWN May 16, 2014 ]
I am not sure if the Bluetooth will recognize more than one at a time. Haven't tried that. I have a cable for the iPod and Bluetooth for my phone. Works great that way. [ MICHAEL May 16, 2014 ]
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: Thank you for your interest in Crutchfield. Please keep in mind that the units we sell are designed to work with US standards in mind. The Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS does not have European tuning so you will not be able to tune into the European radio frequencies. Should you wish to confirm further regarding international compatibility for the other features of this unit, I would recommend contacting Pioneer directly. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy May 16, 2014 ] Staff
No you can not turn off the clock and date feature. It does go away when viewing a movie. [ maurizio May 13, 2014 ]
The time can not be turn off for ipod, tuner or sat. It does disappear during video play. [ CHRISTOPHER May 11, 2014 ]
I don't believe so, since it is I the upper corner it looks clean and doesn't bother me. But I don't believe that that is an option. It is a nice head unit. The accessories cables to mirror your phone is absolutely terrible. But the unit itself is well thought out. [ CHRIS May 10, 2014 ]
Yes you can. I actually find that iHeartRadio is more user friendly than Pandora while using the Bluetooth function on this head unit. [ JENNY May 05, 2014 ]
Hey Matt, I installed this unit into a Party Bus. I have totally used all of the units ability to do what the unit claims it will do. All I can say about the "Bluetooth question is this. Many persons have boarded my Party Bus and have had no issue linking their device to the Pioneer. It appears to me that any mobile device with Bluetooth will play audio sound through the Pioneer unit. The only thing you must do is simply allow the Pioneer to connect with their device with one simple touch on the screen. This is an awesome Receiver Matt, you will love it. Scott [ SCOTT Apr 27, 2014 ]
Honestly, I don't know. I'm actually doing just the opposite of what you want to do. I currently have an iPhone 5 and occasionally use Pandora. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck! [ DAVID Apr 26, 2014 ]
Hi! You sure can. Any media you have on your phone will play when Bluetoothed. [ DEANNA Apr 26, 2014 ]
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Krissy Apr 08, 2014 ] Staff
It's a separate channel. Not sure if it's mono or stereo. [ MICHAEL Apr 07, 2014 ]
Jonny works great i had the 4400 before this is a big step.up more fetures great colors all the good apps sound Cristal clear hd tuner its great [ ROBERT Apr 07, 2014 ]
Jonny works great i had the 4400 before this is a big step.up more fetures great colors all the good apps sound Cristal clear hd tuner its great [ ROBERT Apr 07, 2014 ]
2 front 2 rear 2 sub [ JOSHUA Apr 07, 2014 ]
Face plate slides down and flat. It can also be slightly tilted, bottom out. Screen is not removable. [ maurizio Apr 15, 2014 ]
Faceplate slide is not removable - slides down to reveal cd player behind the screen. Not aware of any other unique anti-theft deterrents. [ PAUL Apr 13, 2014 ]
It flips up out of way to insert CD or DVD, dont know about antitheft features [ ROBERT L Apr 08, 2014 ]
Faceplate is not removable. It slides down out of the way but interfere's with the gear shift when in park, and only clears when gear shift is moved to drive or neutral. This is on a 350z. This is my only complaint with this system for a 350z. [ Frank Apr 06, 2014 ]
The face is not removable. It slides up as far as as security not sure yet still learning [ WILLIAM M Apr 04, 2014 ]
The face plate slides down to reveal the DVD slot but it is not removable. No anti-theft feature. [ Mark Apr 04, 2014 ]
the face plate does not come off. it drops down out of the way to load a cd or install an auto mic.. you can also tilt the screen...Its a great radio... [ JOHN Apr 04, 2014 ]
The unit is not removable and does not slide up out if the way. It is a great unit though. [ DANE P Apr 04, 2014 ]
The face or screen slides down and lays horizontal when you want to access the CD slot. The unit has no security features that I am aware of. [ TONY G Apr 04, 2014 ]
It slides down to insert discs. It does not detach. Just have a good alarm :) [ Austin Apr 03, 2014 ]
The bottom of the face slides out then the top of the face slides down I'm order to access the DVD slot. The face does not remove. [ Greg Apr 03, 2014 ]
The faceplate moves, but only to insert/remove CDs & DVDs. It doesn't hide as a security feature and is not removable. [ Leah Apr 03, 2014 ]
It's got just the tilt feature to adjust the angle for better viewing on certain cars that would need that. It doesn't come out all the way does not have detachable face for security [ IVAN N Apr 03, 2014 ]
The headunit tilts up. It is not removable. But the radio is bolted in. So is it possible to steal. Yes. But alot harder [ jerry Apr 03, 2014 ]
slides up out of the way [ ABELDELIZ Apr 03, 2014 ]
You can't! You have to utilize one of the pioneer map apps through the radio/app on your phone. [ Austin Apr 03, 2014 ]
Great thank you! [ Daniel Mar 17, 2014 ]
I'll let u know as soon as I install it.ordered a few other peaces for it.only want to put it in once can't wait [ JASON Mar 17, 2014 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Mar 10, 2014 ] Staff
2 answers I have be recently looking to get a new car stereo receiver and I came across this one which sounds really nice. I have a android Galaxy S3 for a phone and I see that this radio is really geared towards Apple products. So I would like to utilize GPS with my phone and this radio screen. Is it possible to connect in any way and transfer my phone data or buy a subscription to use GPS with this radio? [ Donavan Mar 05, 2014 ]
Todd, did you purchase the cables and if so what model number if you can remember. Thanks, Keith [ Keith Mar 27, 2014 ]
I have the Samsung galaxy s4 and it works perfectly with it as well. [ Todd Mar 09, 2014 ]
No, bluetooth works without parking brake [ Frank Apr 06, 2014 ]
No you can talk hands free and diel your phone just from speaking into the mic wich my frinds say is very clear. I love this new Pioner head unit I have it in a 2012 Jeep Wrangler with Polk adio two way separates in front and rear with a 8 in Polk adio sub in the factory sub box in the back and running it all on a Alpine V-70 5 Chanel amp it sounds great. [ THOMAS E Mar 03, 2014 ]
You can use the bluetooth phone to make a call even if the parking brake is disengaged. The only time that the Pioneer looks at the parking brake is when you are using the iphone to show a video (or using app mode) using the lightinng to VGA adapter along with Bluetooth. [ Mark Mar 03, 2014 ]
Not true. Parking brake application is required for watching a video. [ Daniel Mar 02, 2014 ]
Nope- not true. Once your phone is paired the deck connects automatically every time and you can talk all you want driving or not - no parking brake needed for anything. [ Steven Mar 02, 2014 ]
Untrue. Mine works fine while driving. My only issue was with my microphone became unplugged when installing the HU. Hate when that happens! Lol! [ Robert Mar 02, 2014 ]
That is not true. You can only view DVDs when the parking brake is applied. You can use the Bluetooth phone at any time while driving or parked. [ WILLIAM M Mar 02, 2014 ]
We've have no problems using the DVD Receiver with a Bluetooth phone, both to receive and send calls. We're using an iPhone 5. It was a standard setup, nothing special. [ PAUL Mar 02, 2014 ]
No, that's not correct. [ Ronald Mar 02, 2014 ]
That is not true , it works like any Bluetooth phone - it is great . Sounds like his installation is screwed up ! [ ROBERT L Mar 02, 2014 ]
I own this deck and it is not true that parking brake must be applied to use the Bluetooth whether for Bluetooth music or the phone. [ Greg Mar 02, 2014 ]
That is absolutely not true. You can most certainly use the Bluetooth feature while driving to talk on the phone, and if you have an iPhone, you can use it to run Siri as well. [ Leah Mar 02, 2014 ]
No you do not. You only need the parking brake applied if you're trying to watch a movie on the radio screen. [ Austin Mar 02, 2014 ]
No, you do not need the parking brake applied to use the Bluetooth function with the phone. I use it all the time while driving. It works very well and you should note that the microphone should be close to you so that it does not pick up any excess noise. [ TONY G Mar 02, 2014 ]
Not on my unit. It works anytime. [ JAMES K Mar 02, 2014 ]
Not true. My iPhone 5 connects automatically when the car is turned on; hands free talking is very clear on both ends of conversation. [ DANE P Mar 02, 2014 ]
1 answer I noticed that JetSetJoe used the iDataLink Maestro to connect the 5600 to his steering wheel controls and was quite happy with it. This is the unit I would like to get, but OutfitMyCar says that the unit does not fit. Is this incorrect, or does it take some undocumented method to make it work? [ PastorTom Feb 12, 2014 ]
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Jeff Feb 12, 2014 ] Staff
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Jeff Jan 23, 2014 ] Staff
The AVH-X5600BHS is now currently installed in my 2013 Silverado LT (non Bose) and there were NO depth issues while installing. [ David Dec 17, 2014 ]
Is my Note 4 compatible with this units mirror link? What do I have to purchase for it to work? Is the mirror link cable phone specific? would I have to purchase a different cable when I change phones? [ Juan Dec 16, 2014 ]
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on these units. [ Jeff Jan 22, 2014 ] Staff
The largest difference is the 5600 includes MirrorLink compatibility. For full information on comparing two or more models I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Jeff Jan 06, 2014 ] Staff
1 answer I have a 2013 Dodge Challenger with the 7 speaker factory set up. I am trying to decide between two pioneer double din decks. The AVH-X5600BHS or the AVH-X5600BHS. I use the Samsung Galaxy S3 and I also have a Ipad mini. I would like to use both devices with one of the two decks. I would like to know which one would fit my needs and what all do I need for this to work? [ Torrence Dec 27, 2013 ]
There isn't much difference between the 5600 and 8500 that I know of. 8500 has detachable face, 2 USB ports instead of 1 and more display personalization. I think you will need the same cables for either deck. You will need the mirror link cable for your android devise. You may only be able to use iPod mini through aux cable. There are other cables for iPods and iPhones but not sure how they will benefit you for the mini. Plus the mirror link cable may take up the plug for the iPod cables. I do know there is a aux port you can use for the mini. [ Greg Dec 27, 2013 ]