Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Watch a product review
Crutchfield: Pioneer 2013 DVD Receivers
Crutchfield: How Does Pioneer MIXTRAX Work?
From Pioneer: App Radio Live
Our take on the Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
Packed with features
The AVH-X8500BHS sits at the top of Pioneer's DVD receiver lineup for 2013, offering a 6.95" touchscreen display, customizable display colors, built-in Bluetooth®, and an HD Radio™ tuner, along with some cool new features that'll really enhance your car audio and video experience. Plus, you can remove the AVH-X8500BH's detachable face — an unusual feature on DVD receivers — when you leave the car, giving you peace of mind when you've parked in a questionable spot. Check out how these impressive features will improve your drive:
- Built-in Bluetooth: Enjoy hands-free calling with your compatible phone, plus the ability to wirelessly stream and control music from your phone or other Bluetooth devices.
- Built-in HD Radio™ tuner: You'll notice the impressive sonic advantages right away — FM broadcasts that are near-CD quality, with AM that's as good as what you're used to on FM. You can tune into multiple channels on the same frequency, for more entertainment choices. Plus, the iTunes® tagging feature lets you save song info, so you can purchase the tracks you like later.
- AppRadio Mode: With the addition of Pioneer's CD-IU201S cable, you can launch and control compatible iPhone apps from the face of your receiver, putting a variety of music, navigation, social media, and other apps at your command. You can learn more and see the latest compatible apps here.
- iPhone 5 compatibility: You can use your iPhone 5 with this Pioneer, including AppRadio Mode and video transfer. You'll need to purchase a Pioneer cable kit , and get a free firmware update from Pioneer.
- Optional satellite radio: Add a SiriusXM tuner and subscription for nationwide access to programming you can't get anywhere else — coast-to-coast reception is a huge plus if you travel constantly. And you'll never have to worry about data charges or coverage.
- Advanced touchscreen controls: Touch Slide technology offers greater control of receiver functions. Want a new EQ curve? Just draw it on the screen with your finger and you've got it. And you can browse video files through thumbnail images — just touch them to check out a sneak preview.
- Dual USB ports: Two ports on the receiver's rear panel add to your entertainment possibilities, and allow you to use one for a permanent connection.
AppRadioLIVE makes it easy
Pioneer's innovative AppRadioLIVE streamlines your app info and functions into one easy-to-use interface. You'll enjoy quick access to your music, media, calendar, and other sources you subscribe to, just by downloading the AppRadioLIVE app and syncing your services. AppRadioLIVE works with your apps to provide visual map guidance and access to points of interest, as well as the ability to search for concerts, shows, and other local events of interest. And you can show several sources of information simultaneously, quickly shifting from one to another with a touch of your finger.
Roll with your music
The AVH-X8500BHS is built to play your music, no matter what medium you prefer. You can connect your iPod® or iPhone® to one of the rear USB input and use the receiver's controls to access your playlists, while tools like Alphabet Search and Link Search help you find the song you want, fast. You can also play music files from many Android™ phones when your Android is plugged into the front-panel USB port — see the "Details" tab for more info on device compatibility.
If you're a fan of streaming Internet radio, connect your iPhone to the receiver with an optional cable and take charge of your Pandora® account from the touchscreen, complete with thumbs-up and thumbs-down controls. Or use the Bluetooth link to tap in via your Android device. And don't forget, you can also enjoy all your CDs, DVDs, discs full of MP3 or WMA music, plus SD cards and USB storage devices loaded with music.
Customizable display and excellent video performance
You can also change the receiver's appearance to match your dash by choosing from five display colors and 112 key panel illumination options. And when you're ready to get the party started, the MIXTRAX feature creates a DJ-like experience with content from your iPod, iPhone, or Android, adding special effects between songs and variable-color lighting that pulses with the beat of your music.
The receiver's 6.95" LCD screen plays DVDs and other video content in bright, clear detail when you're parked. You can keep your passengers entertained by sending video from the receiver to a rear-seat screen — a huge bonus during long road trips. And since the AVH-8500BHS has dual-zone A/V capabilities, you can listen to a different source up front while a movie's on in the back. You'll be able to view video content from your iPod or IPhone with the addition of an optional cable. And you can play it safe when you throw it into reverse by plugging in a rear-view camera.
Advanced App Mode gives you touchscreen control over the apps in your phone.
Tune the sound to your taste
This Pioneer sports an 8-band equalizer for making your music sound perfect in your car, and you'll find an auto-equalization feature to tune your system (microphone required). Pioneer's Advanced Sound Retriever perks up the flat sound of compressed music by restoring high-frequency information. If you're looking to build a killer system, three pairs of preamp outputs make it easier to connect external amplifiers
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter (not included) to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Pioneer stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Pioneer, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
I only had it a short time but it had everything I needed
lalo, bakersfield, CA
What's in the Box:
- DVD receiver with motorized 6.95" LCD touchscreen monitor (10A fuse inserted in chassis)
- Wiring harness
- AV input/output harness
- Remote control (CD-R33)
- CR2025 3V lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 59" USB extension cable (w/ a male USB type-A connector on one end and a female USB type-A connector on other end)
- Microphone (w/ attached 13' cable termianted by a right-angle 2.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 6 Pan-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- Face-fixing screw
- Machine screw
- Owner's Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty sheet (USA/Canada)
- "AppRadio mode for iPhone 5 users" note
- DVD/CD receiver with internal amp (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- detachable 6.95" motorized touchscreen display
- Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- MIXTRAX for a DJ-inspired audio/visual experience
- Pandora Internet radio control with iPhone and Android
- AppRadio Mode: launch and control compatible iPhone and Android apps (additional cables and adapters required)
- music file playback through USB with select Android devices (see "Details" for more info)
- five customizable display colors and 112 key panel illumination choices
- fits double-DIN dash openings
- remote control
- plays audio/video content from CDs, DVDs, SD cards and USB memory devices (see Details tab for full capabilities)
- 8-band graphic equalizer with 7 preset EQ curves
- dual-zone A/V control
- high- and low-pass filters with subwoofer controls
- Advanced Sound Retriever
- Auto-EQ equalizes for your car interior automatically (optional mic required)
- built-in audio iPod control Pioneer's optional adapter required for viewing video content, Pandora control, and Advanced App Mode
- iPhone 5 audio/video control requires optional Pioneer cable kit
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear A/V inputs, rear video output, dual rear USB inputs, rear-view camera input, HDMI input for AppRadio mode
- outputs: video output, 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||3.5mm AV (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||3.5mm (R), Compoiste (R)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, SD/SDHC memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power Output||14 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
6.95" Motorized Touchscreen Display (Detachable): The Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS features a 6.95" TFT Active Matrix, 16:9 widescreen touchscreen display. The resolution of the display is 800 x 480 (RGB), for a total of 1,152,000 pixels. The touchscreen display allows you to control this unit and a paired Bluetooth device, or a connected component such as your iPod/iPhone or USB mass storage class device. Menus appear on screen for making function choices, audio adjustments, and setting up the system. The unit's touchscreen display is motorized. The 6.95" touchscreen display electronically slides down to load and eject your discs and SD/SDHC cards. The angle of the motorized touchscreen display can also be adjusted to five different positions to meet your viewing needs in the car.
Note: You can detach the head unit's touchscreen monitor to deter theft. A soft carrying case is provided.
Display Adjustments: The Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS offers the following monitor display adjustments.
- On Screen Display Color/Background Adjustment: The color of the on-screen display can be set to red, amber, green, blue or white. The background can be set to one of four preset still images, a moving image, a stored JPEG image, or turned Off.
- Picture Adjustments: You can store numerous video settings for each source and the optional rear view camera; including brightness (adjusts the black intensity), contrast (adjusts contrast), color (adjusts color saturation), hue (adjusts the tone of color), and temperature (adjust the color temperature).
- Widescreen Modes: You can choose from the following widescreen modes when playing back video (Full, Zoom, Normal, or Trim).
Front-Panel Controls w/ Custom Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the bottom edge of the screen. The color of the button illumination can be set to red, amber, green, blue, white, or scan (constantly cycling through the color spectrum). You can also create a custom color to match your vehicle's interior lighting (112 colors to choose from).
Dimmer: To prevent the display from being too bright at night, the display is automatically dimmed when the car's headlights are turned on. The automatic dimmer function only works when the orange/white illumination wire in the wiring harness is connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit.
Parking Brake Interlock: This unit has a parking brake interlock system that prohibits viewing of video programming and operating certain controls when the vehicle is in motion. In order to watch video on the in-dash monitor, the vehicle must be parked with the parking brake engaged. The head unit's light green wire must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. The head unit's touchscreen will display "Attention! Viewing of front seat video source while driving is strictly prohibited", if you try to watch a video when your vehicle is in motion.
2-DIN Chassis: The Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double -DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets. There is also an optional double-DIN sleeve (130ADTV133, sold separately) available for this unit that will allow you to Euro-mount or custom mount the Pioneer head unit in your vehicle. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Bluetooth Technology: The Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS is equipped with built-in Bluetooth ver. 3.0 (powered by Parrot), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), HSP (Head Set Profile), OPP (Object Push Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS.
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the AVH-X8500BHS without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When a registered Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. Up to 3 Bluetooth-compatible devices can be registered to this head unit. Only one device can be used at a time.
Hands-Free Communication: The AVH-X8500BHS supports wireless hands-free communication (HFP/HSP/OPP/PBAB) for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker during an incoming call. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call. The AVH-X8500BHS allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode. Using the AVH-X8500BHS, you can dial a phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: You can make a call by entering the phone number using the head unit's on-screen keypad (0-9, *, #, +, C).
- Speed (Preset) Dialing: You can easily store up to six phone numbers as presets for speed dialing.
- Phone Book: The phone book in your Bluetooth enabled cellular phone will be transferred automatically when the phone is paired to this unit. After finding the number you want to call in the phone book, you can select the entry and make the call. If a lot of numbers are registered in the phone book, you can search for the phone number by alphabet search mode.
- Call Log: The 80 most recent calls dialed, received, and missed are stored in memory. You can browse them and call numbers from these lists.
- Voice Control: If your Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone is equipped with the voice control feature, you can use voice commands to make calls.
Note: Advanced phone operations that require attention, such as dialing numbers on the monitor or adjusting Bluetooth settings, are prohibited while driving. The vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to access these functions.
External Microphone: During your wireless phone call, you can talk into the head unit's included external microphone, and listen to the other party through the vehicle's speaker system. The external microphone provides better performance in noisy environments than the integrated microphone found on the front-panel of many aftermarket or factory radios. The microphone features a 13' cord that plugs into the back of the radio, and comes with an adjustable visor-mount clip. The microphone measures 0.475" (diameter) x 1.445" (depth). The unit is not equipped with an integrated microphone. The external microphone must be installed for Bluetooth hands-free communication.
Wireless Audio Streaming (with Meta Data Display): The Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The AVH-X8500BHS will be able to control your stored music's basic playback functions; such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast-Forward/Reverse, and Repeat/Random. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name, Song title, and Album Art. The AVH-X8500BHS also supports audio streaming of music apps (metadata display and control will depend on music app). When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Digital Assistant Control: When paired and connected with an iPhone 4S/5 via Bluetooth (not USB), the Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen controls and external microphone. Simply press head unit's on-screen voice control key to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the AVH-X8500BHS and its microphone. The head unit's LCD touchscreen will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Pioneer DVD receiver; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Note: You can ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone 4S/5. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Multimedia Playback: The Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS features a hidden disc slot and SD-card slot, plus dual rear-panel USB ports for playback of audio, video, and photo files.
- Compatible Discs: The disc slot is located behind the head unit's motorized slide-down touchscreen panel. The AVH-X8500BHS supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs.
- SD Card Slot: The AVH-X8500BHS features a hidden SD card slot (located behind the motorized touchscreen monitor) which will accept SD (up to 2GB) and SDHC (up to 32GB) memory cards.
- Dual USB Ports: The unit features dual rear-panel USB ports and includes a 59" USB extension cable. You can connect a USB mass storage class device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the DVD receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Compatible Media Files: The Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or inserted USB device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW, DVD-R/-RW/-R DL)||Flash Memory (SD/SDHC, USB)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Romeo, Joliet, UDF||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||
MP3: 8-320kbps bit
rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
WMA: 48-320kbps bit rate; 32-48kHz sampling rates
AAC: 16-320kbps bit rate; 11.025-44.1kHz sampling rates
WAV: 8- or16-bit rate; 16-44.1k sampling rates
DivX: 720 x 576 max resolution; 8GB max file size
MPEG-4: 720 x 1280 max resolution; 8GB max file size
DivX: 720 x 576 max resolution; 8GB max file size
MPEG-4: 720 x 1280 max resolution; 8GB max file size
WMV: : 720 x 1280 max resolution; 8GB max file size
H.264: : 720 x 1280 max resolution; 8GB max file size
|JPEG: max resolution of 4092 x 4092|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||
99 folders/999 files (700 folders/3,500 files for DVD)
|1,500 folders/15,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver. 1.0,/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags|
Note: Video and still-images can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
Playback Functions: The Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS offers the following playback functions:
- Automatic Playback: When a DVD disc with DVD menu is inserted, this unit will cancel the DVD menu automatically and start playback from the first chapter of the first title.
- Bookmark (Resume Playback): The Bookmark function lets you resume playback from a selected scene the next time the disc is loaded.
- Frame-By-Frame Playback: This feature lets you movie ahead on frame at a time during playback of your DVD or Video CD.
- Slow Motion Forward: When playing a DVD or Video CD, you can choose to play back video in slow motion (no audio).
- Repeat Play: Audio/Video content can be repeated. You can choose from Disc (entire disc), Folder (current folder) Chapter (current chapter), Title (current title), Track (current track), File (current file), Folder (current folder), or One (current video/song/track).
- Random (Shuffle) Play: Audio/Video can be played back in a random order. You can choose from Songs (videos/songs in selected list), Albums (videos/songs from selected album), Folder (songs/tracks in selected folder), or Disc (all songs/tracks on disc).
Search Functions: The AVH-X8500BHS provides the following search functions:
- Track Title List: You can select tracks to playback using the track title list which is a list of the tracks recorded on a disc, USB memory device or SD/SDHC card.
- Scene Search: You can use the search function on the unit's on-screen display to search for a desired scene on your DVD by specifying a title and chapter track.
- Return to Scene: You can return to the specified scene where the DVD you are currently playing has been preprogrammed to return.
- Skip Search: You can skip to the previous/next track, file, folder, title, or chapter on a disc, USB device, or SD/SDHC card.
- Fast Forward/Reverse: You can fast forward/reverse through a current track, file, or title on a disc, USB device, or SD/SDHC card.
Advanced Playback & Search Functions (for SD/USB): Advance playback functions include; Music Browsing which lets you browse your USB device's or SD-card's music library by Artist, Album, Song, or Genre from the head unit in alphabetical order; and Link Play which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Play lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre.
MIXTRAX: Drawing from Pioneer's rich DJ heritage and passion for music, MIXTRAX delivers a unique DJ infused listening experience to listeners in the car. MIXTRAX is an innovative Pioneer technology that creates a non-stop mix of your music library complete with a range of DJ-inspired effects. MIXTRAX takes your typical music listening experience and creates a non-stop mix of your music with 9 random DJ effects and transitions, by removing the breaks and pauses normally introduced between tracks and replacing them with various beats. MIXTRAX is compatible with USB-connected iPhone, iPod, USB MSC device, and select Android devices. There is also a Short Playback option which limits the amount of time each track plays; select from 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, or 3 minutes.
Note: The MIXTRAX function does not work in App mode or with the Pandora App for iPod/iPhone/iPad.
Parental Lock: This unit features an 8-level Parental Lock system protected by a user-selected 4-digit password to prevent certain DVD's from being played back on the AVH-X8500BHS.
Installation Angle: Optimum disc playback performance is obtained when the unit is installed at an angle of less than 30-degrees.
iPod/iPhone Connection: The Pioneer multimedia head unit supports both audio/video & app playback from a compatible iPod or iPhone. Select the appropriate cable for your model Apple device and media content.
- Audio Only: Using Pioneer's dock connector-to-USB cable (130CDIU51, sold separately) or the dock connector-to-USB cable which comes with your iPod/iPhone, you can enjoy audio playback of your stored music, podcasts, and Pandora Internet Radio on your iPod or iPhone through the Pioneer A/V head unit. If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5; use the Apple Lightning to USB cable that came with the Apple device to connect it to the Pioneer head unit.
- Audio/Video: Using the Pioneer CD-IU201V iPod/iPhone connector cable (130IU201V, sold separately) you can enjoy audio playback, plus video playback of movies, TV shows, video podcasts, and music videos stored on your iPod/iPhone; as well as music or video based apps streamed to your iPhone. Not compatible with iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5.
- Audio/Video + AppRadio: The Pioneer CD-IU201S iPhone/App cable (130IU201S, sold separately) not only provides audio/video playback, but also allows you to launch the AppRadio Mode on your iPhone 4/4S (iOS 4.2+), for playback of advance applications (such as navigation and internet radio) on the Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS. You can also access audio/video files and AppRadio Mode from your iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1+) using Pioneer's CD-IH202 cable, the Apple Lightning-to-USB Cable, and the Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter (all sold separately).
Note: Video from your iPod/iPhone device can only be displayed while the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
iPod/iPhone Control: The Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS lets you control your iPod/iPhone from the head unit's touchscreen or from the iPod/iPhone's touchscreen, clickwheel, or downloadable app.
- Head Unit: Head Unit mode lets you control your connected iPod/iPhone device from the AVH-X8500BHS's touchscreen. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's music content by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook; and video content by Video Playlist, Movie, Music Video, Video Podcast, TV Show, Rental. Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically (A-Z). In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder.
- iPod/App: App Control mode allows you to navigate stored audio/video content from your connected iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. This is very useful for the person riding in your passenger seat. The App mode also lets you listen to your favorite music apps, such as iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Last.fm, Rhapsody, & Slacker from your iPhone (iOS 3.0+) through the Pioneer head unit and your vehicle's speakers. In addition, you can watch video on the Pioneer A/V receiver's touchscreen from streaming movie apps, such as Netflix & YouTube, downloaded on your iPhone 4/4S (iOS 4.0+) or iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1+). Not all apps will be compatible with App Mode and App Mode will provide only limited (basic), if any, control over the app. Available controls may include; Play/Pause & Skip Previous/Next. The App Mode's video functions can only be accessed when the vehicle's parking brake is fully engaged.
iPod/iPhone Display: The DVD head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information, as well as metadata from Pandora and Advance Apps; including Track number, Folder number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art. There is no music information displayed when this unit is set to 'basic App mode'. Instead, all music information will be displayed on your iPod/iPhone's LCD screen.
iPod Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit will not charge the Apple iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 3/26/2013):
|iPod/iPhone||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||iTunes Tagging||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/App Mode||Pandora App||AppRadio Mode||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio||Siri|
- *Requires the Apple Lightning-to-USB cable (included with Apple device).
- **Requires Pioneer's CD-IH202 cable, the Apple Lightning-to-USB Cable, and the Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter (all sold separately).
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
AppRadio Mode: The AppRadio Mode allows you to access your Calendar, Contacts, Maps, Photos and other Advanced Applications from your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5, or Android smartphone (using proprietary cable, sold separately) and displays content directly on the Pioneer head unit's larger touchscreen display. The AppRadio mode will even recommend and notify you of the latest compatible apps. Please view the AppRadio Compatible Device List for the latest compatible iPhone 4/4S and Android smartphone information to see if your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5, or Android smartphone is compatible. You must initially download the AppRadio App onto your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5, or Android smartphone from the iTunes App Store or Google Play App Store. Choose the appropriate cable for your model iPhone or Android smartphone.
- iPhone 4/4S (iOS 4.2+): Requires the Pioneer CD-IU201S cable (sold separately) which connects to the RGB port on the rear-panel of the head unit.
- iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1+): Requires the Pioneer CD-IH202 cable, Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter, and Apple Lightning-to-USB Cable (all sold separately) which connect to the HDMI port and USB port on the rear-panel of the head unit. Also requires your iPhone 5 be paired via Bluetooth.
- Android (2.3+): Requires the Pioneer CD-AH200 Android connectivity kit (sold separately) which connects to the HDMI port and USB (5V/1.6A) port on the rear-panel of the head unit. The Samsung Galaxy S3 requires an additional 3rd part 5-pin to 11-pin adapter (sold separately; not available at Crutchfield).
Note: Make sure to use the head unit's USB 1 port for connection (not USB 2 port).
AppRadio Apps: Pioneer has teamed up with app providers to offer compatibility with many of today's most popular in-vehicle apps, while also developing an expanding catalog of compatible apps for future use that can be easily & seamlessly added. Visit the Pioneer AppRadio Site for the latest compatible apps. Popular apps include (as of 3/26/2013):
|App Categories||Application Description|
|AUPEO! Personal Radio: AUPEO! Personal Radio offers free online music. With more than 120 Internet radio stations available, users can search for their favorite music by artists, songs, genres, or AUPEO!'s "Mood-Tuner". Users can also choose to "love" or "ban" songs directly from the AppRadio screen, enabling the app to adjust content to the user's personal taste.|
|CarMediaPlayer: CarMediaPlayer allows you to swipe, drag, and directly touch the desired artist, song, or album in your music library directly from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen with Alphabet Search and Album View function. When you're searching through your library, Alphabet Search allows you to select the first letter in the desired song, album, or artist name from the Pioneer receiver making it quick an easy to get to the music you want. The iPhone version of the app even allows you to play and access your iTunes Match collection directly from the Pioneer's touchscreen.|
|iHeartAuto: The iHeartAuto app offers access to more than 1,500 live radio stations from across the country. Plus, you can create custom stations based on your favorite artists or songs. With the top live radio stations in America and more than 15 million songs in our catalog, iHeartAuto features more music, backed by better music programming, than any other service available.|
|Livio Radio: The Livio Radio app ($4.99) lets you listen to more than 42,000 AM/FM and Internet-only radio streams from around the world. The Livio Radio app has been optimized for use in the vehicle with a range of features an controls right from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen.|
|Rdio: Rdio (from for $4.99 per month) gives you access to over 8 million songs. You are able to search and find any song, album or artist, and start listening immediately. You can search music by new releases and chart toppers. You can also check out what other listeners have been listening to the most, or look at your own recent listening history. In addition, you can even create your own music collection or make your own playlists. Rdio will even recommend music for you, based on your previous music listening. The AppRadio will display Artist,/Album/Song information, as well as Album art.|
|StreamS HiFi Radio: The StreamS HiFi Radio app ($4.99) provides access to more than 4,000 live Internet radio stations from across the globe delivered in AAC/HE-AACv1/HE-AACv2 at 32kbps for high fidelity listening.|
|Google Music: Google Music allows you to keep up to 20,000 of your favorite songs in the cloud. Now you can listen to your entire music collection without having to use any space on your iOS device. gMusic offers full playlist editing, Last.fm scrobbling, thumbs up playlist, metadata editing, and innovative navigation.|
|7digital: 7digital is a leading digital music provider which sells high quality MP3s across 32 countries worldwide. With over 20 million tracks you're sure to find what you're looking for. With this app you can Sync your 7digital music from the cloud to your phone wirelessly, play music that is already stored on your device, and browse top album and track charts, new releases and recommendations right on the screen of the Pioneer DVD receiver.|
|MIXTRAX: Pioneer's proprietary MIXTRAX app from iTunes analyzes the music in your iTunes library to create custom playlists for non-stop song mixes with added DJ effects.|
|Apple Maps: You can view Apple maps on the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen as you would on your iPhone. Functionality is bundled with the Pioneer AppRadio app.|
|MotionX-GPS Drive App: The MotionX-GPS Drive App ($0.99) is available from iTunes for your iPhone 4/4S (not compatible w/ iPhone 5). There is a $2.99 per month subscription fee with an additional $19.99 per year for Voice Guidance feature. MotionX-GPS Drive is a complete GPS navigation solution, designed and optimized for the iPhone, that can be displayed on the Pioneer AppRadio. MotionX-GPS Drive helps you find what you're looking for and provides turn-by-turn directions with optional Live Voice Navigation, using industry-leading maps (including US and Canada). All the functionality of an advanced dedicated turn-by-turn GPS unit is presented in this intuitive iPhone application. MotionX-GPS Drive Offers full support for the iPhone with multitasking, routing, and live voice guidance instructions continuing in the background; while you listen to streaming music from your car audio system or use other applications from the iPhone. The 2D/3D navigation map will be displayed on the Pioneer AppRadio, but you will still control the MotionX-GPS Drive Navigation app from your iPhone.|
|iGO Primo North: iGO primo app ($24.99) is powered by the same tried-and-trusted iGO Engine used in millions of GPS navigation devices around the world. The maps are part of the application so there are no roaming fees and no need for cellular/network coverage. Highlights include - Fast, short, easy-to-follow, and Green routes; automatic route recalculation; multipoint-route support; smart keyboard & history; TTS Pro; in-app shop; local/POI search; and more.|
|NavFree GPS Live: NavFree GPS Live is a free navigation app that offers turn-by-turn directions, voice and on-screen instructions, offline map use, address search, live searches via Google and Microsoft Bing, and many other features. Navfree is a completely free navigation app with no additional monthly charges. It uses map data created by a community of thousands of users around the world. The map gets downloaded to the phone so data connection is not required for navigating.|
|My GPS USA: My GPS USA is the next generation GPS satellite navigation from the makers of NavFree. Full featured with voice guided, turn-by-turn satellite navigation with no hidden costs. It offers a HD live map display with 2D and 3D modes. You can navigate by pinching, swiping and touching. Full voice guidance is available in 12 languages. Multiple Routing Modes include - Fastest, Shortest, Easy, Pedestrian, and Economical Routes. You can even navigate from your Contacts.|
|INRIX Traffic: INRIX is a leading provider of highly accurate traffic services. INRIX's strategic partnership with Clear Channel Radio and Total Traffic Network extends the delivery of the highest quality data and broadest coverage available for personal navigation. The INRIX Traffic app ($24.95 per year) provides real-time traffic information and traffic forecasts for all major highways, interstates, arterials and city streets nationwide. Traffic information will be displayed on the Pioneer head unit, while control is still handled from the iPhone.|
|Beej!: Beej! is an in-vehicle location/navigation application ($1.99). Beej! quickly identifies your position and allows you to select the nearest bank, bar, gas station, hospital, hotel, restaurant and more. Beej! provides a complete list of all the businesses in the category selected, including the distance from your current location and address, with options to get directions (via MotionX-GPS Drive app) or place a call to the selected business. The layout and aesthetics provide optimal in-vehicle viewing, without becoming a distraction for drivers from safe vehicle operations.|
|Extra Mile: Extra Mile ($1.99) is an all-in-one app for convenient voice navigation that gives audio feedback to improve your driving performance and conserve fuel.|
|EasyCar Touch: The EasyCar app is designed specifically for AppRadio and provides large icons, simple commands, and swipe gestures that enable you to access your iPhone's music, contacts, mapping, and more.|
|Waze: Waze is a cool social GPS driving and navigation app that connects you to other drivers. When you download Waze, you not only get a free GPS traffic & navigation app, but also become part of the local driving community in your area, joining forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time and gas, and improve everyone's daily commute.|
|DashCommand: Utilizing the built-in GPS & accelerometer sensors of the iPhone, the DashCommand app ($49.99) displays advanced vehicle and driving statistics. When connected to a compatible vehicle's OBD-II data port (optional OBD-II interface sold separately from Palmer Performance Engineering), advanced data monitoring, logging and analysis are enabled. Users can create and display up to 27 virtual dashboards with many styles including digital gauges, analog gauges, indicator lights, and more, which can all be accessed on the Pioneer head unit's screen. Compatible with more than 13 OBD-II compliant interfaces, the app can also be used as a scan tool to read vehicle trouble codes.|
|Best Parking: Best Parking is a parking search engine that steers drivers towards the cheapest and most convenient parking garages and lots in 55 cities and 80 airports.|
|Parkopedia: Parkopedia ($1.99) has grown to cover over 25 million parking spaces in 28 countries around the world thanks to contributions from other drivers. Use this app to find parking using your current location or by entering an address. Get directions straight to the space and see parking space availability in real-time (where available). Find opening hours, up to date prices, payment methods and more. You can quickly narrow down parking choices using filters such as free, credit cards accepted, covered, etc.|
|CarBrowser: CarBrowser ($1.99) allows you to search and navigate the internet directly from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen while the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.|
|CommuteWX: CommuteWX ($0.99) provides real-time weather information (current/forecast/in-route). Weather conditions are featured in large, easy to read graphics in a streamlined user interface that's well suited for in-vehicle travel.|
|Contacts: Access your iPhone's contacts. This function is bundled with the Pioneer AppRadio app.|
|Calendar: Access your iPhone's calendar, so you can view important events and reminders. This functionality is bundles with the Pioneer AppRadio app.|
|Photos: You can view photos stored on your iPhone. Access albums and camera rolls, and even view a slideshows. Functionality is bundled with the Pioneer AppRadio app.|
Note: As the library of Advance App compatible applications grows, users will be automatically notified via Pioneer's AppRadio iPhone application, with a link to the respective app(s) page within the App Store.
HD Radio: The Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS's built-in HD Radio tuner lets you listen to the radio with the same fidelity as your digital music. HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multicasting, and data services. With HD Radio, your FM stations offer near CD-quality sound, AM stations provide FM-like sound, and there is crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion. Best of all, HD Radio is 100% subscription free. The unit's tuner also supports analog AM/FM broadcasts. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
- Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 3 multicast programs (HD1 to HD3, and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible analog or HD AM/FM stations.
- iTunes Tagging: It is possible to save the song's information (tag) from a HD Radio or RDS FM broadcasting station to your USB-direct connected iPod/iPhone. The songs will show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the next time you sync your iPod/iPhone. Then you can directly buy the songs you want from the iTunes Music Store.
- Supertuner IIID: The Supertuner IIID features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- Reception Blending: If a digital broadcast reception condition gets poor, this unit automatically switches to the analog broadcast of the same frequency level. If this function is set to "On", the tuner switches between digital broadcast and analog broadcast automatically. If this function is 'Off', reception will be conducted within an analog broadcast.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): The BSM (Best Stations Memory) function lets you automatically store the six strongest analog or HD stations under presets 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 level of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
Pandora Internet Radio: The free Pandora App (either from iTunes Apps/Google Play) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS3+) or Bluetooth paired Android smartphone. Your Apple iPhone must be connected to the AVH-X8500BHS via the appropriate Pioneer iPod connector cable (see iPod/iPhone Control section above) or the connector-cable that came with your iPhone. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. The AVH-X8500BHS provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- QuickMix: QuickMix allows you to listen to songs played on one or more Pandora stations in your Station List randomly. You will need to edit your QuickMix station selections on the phone before connection.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM Ready: The AVH-X8500BHS is SiriusXM Ready so you can listen to commercial-free music, all your favorite sports, exclusive talk and entertainment, comedy, news, traffic, weather, and more. Simply connect the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV200, sold separately) to the dedicated SiriusXM port on the rear of the DVD receiver and enjoy satellite radio without additional translators or cables. With the SiriusXM Connect tuner you'll have access to more than 150 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM, via the "SiriusXM All Access" package (subscription required). Visit SiriusXM.com for a complete list of subscription options and channel guide. Additional features of the SXV200 SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- The List Menu displays a list of all available channels.
- Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD touchscreen.
- You can store up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio Station Presets.
- Direct Tuning lets you select a broadcast channel directly by entering the desired channel number.
- Tune Start allows you to choose whether to start a song from the beginning or from its live point when tuning to a preset music channel.
- You can scan through channels within categories or songs from your preset channels. Tune Scan allows you to play back eight seconds of each song in a preset music channel. Category Scan lets you play back five seconds of a live broadcast in the currently selected category.
- When listening to SiriusXM, Content Alerts notify you when your favorite songs, artists, or games involving your favorite sports teams are playing on other channels. The radio will display an Alert message when a matching artist, song, or team is found on another channel. Then you can choose if you want to tune to that channel or ignore the Alert.
- The iTunes Tagging feature lets you Tag songs you hear on SiriusXM and stores the info on your connected iPod/iPhone. The next time you connect your iPod/iPhone to iTunes, you will be able to preview your selections and then purchase and download them directly from iTunes.
- The SiriusXM Parental Control feature allows you to control access to channels that you consider inappropriate for younger listeners. When enabled, The Parental Control feature requires you to enter a 4-digit passcode to tune to the locked channels.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
24-Bit/96kHz DAC: For superb quality audio playback from DVDs, CDs, and flash media, the Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS is equipped with a 24-bit/96kHz digital-to-analog converter.
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: This receiver is equipped with a 50 watts x 4 (peak) MOSFET amplifier for low distortion, high power output. The amplifier is strong enough to power small subwoofers to moderate volume levels in compact cars and pickups. For higher volume levels from subwoofers, an optional amplifier may be connected to the preamp outputs.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the AVH-X8500BHS are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
4V/6CH Preamp Outputs: The Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS features three pair of 4.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading.
Front & Rear High-Pass Crossovers: The head unit's 12dB/octave high pass filter only allows frequencies higher than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125Hz) to your front and rear speakers through the unit's speaker-level or line-level outputs.
Subwoofer Controls: The subwoofer preamp output features an18dB/octave low pass filter so only frequencies lower than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125Hz) are output to your connected subwoofer. You can also adjust the subwoofer preamp output's phase (normal/reverse) and volume (+6 to -24).
EEQ (Easy EQ) w/ 8-Band Graphic EQ: There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2. The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 8-band graphic equalizer (40Hz, 80Hz, 200Hz, 400Hz, 1kHz, 2.5kHz, 8kHz, and10kHz).
Auto EQ (Optional): The auto-equalizer automatically measures your car's interior acoustic characteristics, and then creates an auto-equalizer curve base on that information. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone (130CDMC20, sold separately) is required to use this function. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone plugs into your compatible Pioneer A/V receiver's 3.5mm input (located behind motorized front-panel). The Auto-EQ microphone should be placed in the center of your vehicle's driver seat headrest facing forward for EQ measurement.
Sound Enhancements: The head unit provides further sound enhancements for your car audio system.
- Sonic Center Control: Sound that is suited for the listening position can easily be created with this function. You can adjust sound more toward the listening position left (7) to right (7).
- Loudness: The Loudness function compensates for deficiencies in the low- and high-frequency ranges at low volume. You can set the Loudness to High, Mid, Low, or Off.
- Bass Boost: You can easily boost the subwoofer bass level by using the Bass Boost function. The Bass Boost feature allows you increase the subwoofer level from 0 to +6 (12dB).
- Advanced Sound Retriever: The Advanced Sound Retriever automatically enhances compressed audio and restores the original richness of the recording. When the Advanced Sound Retriever is on, the high frequency range is compensated to match the frequency response curve to the original sound. There are two available levels of the Advanced Sound Retriever effect.
Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the volume level of the FM tuner, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4 dB to +4 dB.
Mute/Attenuation Level: You an select the muting/attenuation level of head unit. Choose from Mute (0 volume), -20dB (1/10 volume), or -10dB (1/3 volume).
Switchable Rear Channel/Subwoofer Speaker Output: The rear speaker outputs can be set to provide full range output with full fading capability, or they can be set to provide non-fading subwoofer (low-pass) output. When the rear speaker outputs are set to subwoofer mode, the rear preamp outputs also switch from full range to subwoofer outputs. When set for subwoofer operation, you can connect the rear speaker leads directly to two small 4-ohm passive subwoofers or a dual voice coil sub with 4-ohm voice coils. If you prefer to use a single 2-ohm subwoofer, you can connect the woofer to one set of speaker leads, leaving the other set of rear leads disconnected. The maximum output provided when a 2-ohm load is connected to one set of leads is 70 watts.
Dual AV Inputs: The Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS has dual AV inputs to connect two external audio/video sources. The head unit has a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack AV input for connecting a portable audio/video device. There is also a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA AV input for connecting a video component such as a mobile TV tuner or game console. The rear-panel 3.5mm minijack input also serves as the A/V input for your USB-connected iPod/iPhone (using the proprietary Pioneer cable).
AV Output (with Dual Zone): The AVH-X8500BHS features a rear-panel composite video/3.5mm minijack audio output that allows you to connect an external display to the unit. You can playback audio/video content from a Disc, iPod/iPhone (not iPhone 5), USB device, SD-card, and the AV 1/2 inputs in the rear zone; or you can simply have the rear AV output mirror the head unit's selected source. You can select the unit to output a 16:9, Letter-Box or Pan-Scan aspect ratio to match your external display's screen size.
Rear View Camera: The AVH-X8500BHS is equipped with a composite video Rear View Camera input. The unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear camera image (Rear View Camera input jack) when an optional rear camera (130NDBC5, sold separately) is installed. When the transmission is in reverse, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (the violet/white wire in the AVH-X8500BHS's harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.2 seconds. Pioneer recommends using a camera with a mirror image (reversed) output. Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
HDMI Input (for AppRadio mode): The Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS is fitted with a rear-panel HDMI input which allows you to access the head unit's AppRadio mode from your connected iPhone 5 or Android smartphone using proprietary Pioneer & Apple accessory adapters (sold separately; see above AppRadio section for details). This HDMI input cannot be used to connect other external AV devices, such as a Blu-ray/DVD player or game system.
Navigation Ready: The Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS allows you to connect the Pioneer AVIC-U250 add-on navigation unit (130AVIC250, sold separately) through its RGB Input. This versatile hideaway unit allows you to switch to navigation mode with the touch of a button. Get to your destination by inputting an address or search through the POI library while enjoying whatever source is currently playing.
Note: If you are already using the head unit's RGB input to access AppRadio Mode from your iPhone, then you cannot connect this add-on navigation module (or vise-versa).
Wireless Remote Control: The Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS includes an IR remote control (CXE5116) for wireless operation of the multimedia head unit and your connected devices. There are no controls to answer/end or dial call from your Bluetooth-enabled phone.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
20 questions already asked
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Aug 15, 2014 ] Staff
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Krissy Apr 16, 2014 ] Staff
With my cell phone [ NORBERTO Apr 15, 2014 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Jeff Apr 15, 2014 ] Staff
You can put 1 dvd or 1 cd in at a time [ DONALD G Apr 10, 2014 ]
You can slide a disk or DVD into it. Great unit! You won't regret it. [ E. GRANT Apr 09, 2014 ]
It will hold one disc. [ CLINT Apr 08, 2014 ]
It has a built in CD/DVD player. So, yes you can put disc's into it as well as an sd card slot behind the screen. [ Gooch Apr 08, 2014 ]
yes you can place disc or dvd's in this unit and they both play great. [ KEITH Apr 08, 2014 ]
It will take 1 cd/dvd. [ THOMAS Apr 08, 2014 ]
It's a one CD player. Not sure if there in a disc change accessory or not. The cd part is behind the screen which poops down when you want to put a cd in or eject [ JONATHAN D Apr 08, 2014 ]
Yes 1 disc at a time [ ALBERTO Apr 08, 2014 ]
Yes, you can put discs in it, the disc player is behind the faceplate. [ KATALIN Apr 08, 2014 ]
You can put one disc in the unit. [ JOSHUA Apr 08, 2014 ]
Yes; you can put a disc in the unit, one disc at a time not multiple disc's as you would a changer, but the beautiful thing about this deck is you really don't need a disc if you have a phone or mp3 player with bluetooth..thousands of songs a click away [ TONY Apr 08, 2014 ]
There is a single DVD/CD slot behind the flip down screen. [ SETH Apr 08, 2014 ]
I don't know. [ E. GRANT Apr 09, 2014 ]
No audio only will show pictures though [ JAMES Apr 08, 2014 ]
Yes but you have to put it into the sd holder that comes with your micro sd card [ Brian Apr 07, 2014 ]
Daryl, I'm not sure if it will or not. I have not got the unit installed yet. [ ROB Apr 07, 2014 ]
You must purchase the Android or Apple connectivity kit separately for this unit in order to stream video of any kind to the unit. Bluetooth connects up to pipe through the touch-screen commands from the stereo to the phone while plugged in. Other than that, audio is the only signal able to stream through Bluetooth alone [ BRETT Mar 23, 2014 ]
Your phone has to be connected in order to watch netflix or you tube. Only audio can be streamed over bluetooth. [ ADRIAN Mar 22, 2014 ]
I love my system but I did not connect the cable to my break, so I do not know. I do believe that you have to connect via cable to use video. Pandora sounds just as good via Bluetooth as cable. The quality does improve and requires less volume adjustment to achieve loudness when connected using the USB. [ JOSHUA Mar 22, 2014 ]
As far as I can tell on my unit the Bluetooth only supports audio. I can play a music video on my phone see both video and audio on phone but on Bluetooth no video on Pioneer, only get audio. I did try the Pioneer Media app for android as well since I am using Samsung Galaxy S4 for phone. No longer have a functioning iPhone to try and my iPod does not support Bluetooth. Sorry could not fully answer question. [ RAYALND K Mar 21, 2014 ]
Streaming video is something I haven't tried. But I can say the Bluetooth quality is very good. Hope this helps. [ SEHON Mar 21, 2014 ]
You can stream audio only, quality will be that of Bluetooth audio...it may have a little noise on it but will sound just fine [ CHRIS Mar 21, 2014 ]
Both, you need the proper cable to connect to your radio and Bluetooth. [ LEROY Mar 21, 2014 ]
Absolutely. You can use the speaker wire outputs and the RCA outputs. [ Jeff Mar 13, 2014 ] Staff
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Feb 24, 2014 ] Staff
no it does not support siri [ KATHERINE DAE Feb 04, 2014 ]
Yes [ BROOKING Feb 03, 2014 ]
I haven't installed the unit yet, but it should support the iPhone 5 because it is USB compatible and it works with my new IPOD with no problems at all. It is also Bluetooth compatible, I hope I've been some help? [ CARLFRED A Feb 03, 2014 ]
I have an old Pioneer AVH4200DVD and it played Divx formatted videos via SD card/USB drive....I'm sure Pioneet didn't deviate from that. [ SPENCER Mar 10, 2014 ]
I have idea. not once since June 2nd upon putting this radio in my truck have i had Sirius radio?? Sirius cant figure it out and now my $100 ipad5 wire doesent do a thing [ MARK Jan 31, 2014 ]
I have never tried playing movies from a sd card. I have only used the DVD option. I was successful putting pictures and music files on my sd card. [ CHRISTOPHER Jan 31, 2014 ]
14 answers So I just had this unit installed at a local store today and tonight I tried to play a movie DVD on it it and I could only hear the audio. The video had a warning on it saying something about how you can't drive and watch video, but I have the car in park. I'm call BB in the morning, but I'm wondering if there is a simple fix? [ Benjamin Jan 08, 2014 ]
Did you engage the emergency park on? [ MANUEL E Jan 10, 2014 ]
There is a wire that must be connected to the parking brake and the brake has to be engaged to play video. If the wire does not send the proper signal to the headunit then the video is disabled and you get the message you describe. It is important to make certain that the wire is connected on the proper side of the parking brake switch ( the one that sends the signal to illuminate on your dash when the brake is engaged) or the proper signal is not sent either. I mistakenly connected on the wrong side on the first attempt and had to redo it but as it was several months ago I do not remember which side it was. Also, unless you have super vision I found it much easier to download a users manual from Pioneer's website and print it as a reference as the print was too small and too faint in the boxed manual to read in anything but perfect conditons. [ RAYALND K Jan 09, 2014 ]
Have not tried to play a DVD on the unit as I had a rear unit in the SUV for the kids so I don't know..... Sorry. Did have it installed locally as well. [ KEITH W Jan 08, 2014 ]
Hello, Try the E. Brake a couple of times. depending on the car it may need extra parts to work properly. [ Leon Jan 08, 2014 ]
Ben, not only do you have to have the car in park but the emergency brake also has to be set as well. If that still doesn't work, I would lean towards it not being quite installed right. Hope this helps. Virgil. [ VIRGIL Jan 08, 2014 ]
Of what ive read the stereo works off of a ground on ground off switch not like the older ground only switch, if you hooked it up according to directions the wire should be hooked up to the emergency brake and you have to have the vehicle in park put the emergency brake on and take it off and reapply the parking brake to watch Dvds [ NOE G Jan 08, 2014 ]
they may have forgotten to connect the cable that goes to the ebrake/park so then unit never picks up the signal that the car is in park. i'd take it back [ VINCENT Jan 08, 2014 ]
It's been a while, but as I remember it, there is no quick fix. Your issue results from how they wired the power to the unit. There are two different power wires, red and yellow, I think, one of which effectively enables DVD video play. You will need to change where that one is getting its power. The installation manual explains it. In my motorhome, video is not viewable from the driver's seat, and we play the unit most of the time when parked. Both my power wires are hot full time, not wired through even the ignition switch. [ EUGENE Jan 08, 2014 ]
Pull the emergency brake [ JUAN Jan 08, 2014 ]
You have to have the parking break on. I sometimes have to release the parking break and reapply it then on the screen a warning will come up, the hit ok and the video should appear. Hope that helps. [ CHAD Jan 08, 2014 ]
Try engaging the parking brake. There is a wire that is supposed to be connected to the parking brake switch to let the system know the car is parked. I am assuming they connected it as described In the installation manual. You can see the manual on the Crutchfield website. Hope this helps. [ RAOUL Jan 08, 2014 ]
Did you attach the green wire to the wire running to the parking brake switch? [ NICHOLAS A Jan 08, 2014 ]
Hi! You must engage the parking brake, then disengage, then reengage the parking brake. [ BRANSON Jan 08, 2014 ]
Do you have your e brake on? [ TYLER S Jan 08, 2014 ]
I have not tried a MP3 DVD but it will read from a flashdrive at least up to 64 GB as I have done it. [ RAYALND K Jan 09, 2014 ]
If I am not mistaken yes you can load a DVD of MP3's and it will play. Hope this helps you. [ JEROME Jan 05, 2014 ]
Yes you can also if have a usb memory stick it comes in handy too [ FREDERICK L Jan 05, 2014 ]
3 answers I was talking to Jasan and got disconnected about the the new pioneer head units not using the ip-bus port any more, I use the bus port for my iPod and the iPhone cord from the USB port on my avh-4400 and I like to have both connected at the same time how would I do this on the new pioneer head units that are out now? [ Steve. Dec 27, 2013 ]
Sorry, but my unit is not yet installed, so I cannot answer the question... [ Stephen Dec 30, 2013 ]
My AVH 8500 BHS receiver has two USB ports at the rear of the unit. Referred to as USB 1 - for iPhone connection. USB 2 is located at the top of the two. Perhaps Crutchfied has an adaptor - USB to 30 pin connector cable. If your iPod uses the 30 pin type connector. Hope this answered your question [ Jesse Dec 27, 2013 ]
I am not sure, I have an android device which i connect via the HDMI port. If i am not mistaken. For Apple connection, you can use the RGB as well as the 2 USB ports for connection.. [ SOUND EQ GUY Dec 27, 2013 ]
4V/6CH Preamp Outputs: The Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS features three pair of 4.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. [ Jeff Dec 27, 2013 ] Staff
I purchased this radio in June of this year because i was told that my android would do exactly what you are trying to do. It is now December and I still can not get it to work. I have done research on the Internet and have tried numerous things that have been suggested from both Crutchfield and others. I hope this helps. [ TOMMY Dec 26, 2013 ]
I purchased this radio in June of this year because i was told that my android would do exactly what you are trying to do. It is now December and I still can not get it to work. I have done research on the Internet and have tried numerous things that have been suggested from both Crutchfield and others. I hope this helps. [ TOMMY Dec 26, 2013 ]
I am not sure. I have an iPhone and that's all I use is my USB cable and it works. You should be able to use nav if you get all the cables. [ JONATHAN D Dec 26, 2013 ]
There is a kit that has all the wiring for your android device. The only thing is the kit is compatible up to a galaxy s 2. However there is an adapter to solve that problem. Once you got everything connect there is a few apps that can be controlled by the display on the radio. Other apps on your phone will be just a mirrored screen. [ CHRISTOPHER Dec 26, 2013 ]
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Jeff Dec 19, 2013 ] Staff
Please contact an Advisor for help on this question. It is not likely that two will be a match, but the Advisors will be able to look into it for you. [ Jeff Dec 16, 2013 ] Staff
1 answer I bought this unit, however I have a Motorola Atrix HD, When I try to stream blue tooth audio I get nothing on the Pioneer, however the music plays on my phone and I control it from the Pioneer, Confirmed that it was not the Pioneer, blue tooth plays back correctly with an iPhone 3GS, through the Pioneer. Am I doing something wrong here? Or maybe missing a step? Or is it likely that the Pioneer and my Motorola are just not compatible? [ Michael Dec 15, 2013 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Jeff Dec 16, 2013 ] Staff
Yes [ RENE Dec 12, 2013 ]
I don't know I will look and see [ KEITH W Dec 12, 2013 ]
Yes it does detach. [ EVAN Dec 11, 2013 ]
Yes with a case [ JAMES Dec 10, 2013 ]
Yes, the whole front detaches [ STEVEN Dec 09, 2013 ]
Yes, it does [ ABAD Dec 09, 2013 ]
Yes, in the description of the stereo, it states under Highlights: detachable 6.95" motorized touchscreen display [ BRETT Dec 09, 2013 ]
yes. The screen tilt button is pressed and then there are options to insert CD, microphone or detach faceplate. [ RAYALND K Dec 09, 2013 ]
Yes it does. [ HEATH Dec 09, 2013 ]
Hi, I believe it does, though I have never removed it. [ JIM Dec 09, 2013 ]
Yes the faceplate is detachable. [ MILO Dec 09, 2013 ]
It does have a detachable face plate and a pouch to put it in once detached. [ NICHOLAS Dec 09, 2013 ]
Yes [ JUAN Dec 09, 2013 ]
Sorry, but I don't know whether the faceplate detaches or not. It's not something I care about. I would have to research it in the manual, and that is available online. [ EUGENE Dec 09, 2013 ]
Yes. The unit has to be powered on, then you hit the eject button, and the touchscreen menu option to detach the faceplace (the other options at that screen are to lower the faceplate to insert a CD or memory card), then it rotates and you press and hold a switch in to get it off. [ CHARLES Dec 09, 2013 ]
Yes it does have a dettachable faceplate. This unit is awesome. [ JOEL Dec 09, 2013 ]
yes [ VINCENT Dec 09, 2013 ]
Yes it does [ BENJAMIN Dec 09, 2013 ]
Yes, the entire front of the radio detaches. [ TIMOTHY Dec 09, 2013 ]
Yes it does, I've not detached it but it does come off. [ BRANSON Dec 09, 2013 ]
Yes, it does. A command on the display orients the screen to a position where it can be released. It comes new with a carrying or storage case. [ CHARLES P Dec 09, 2013 ]
I can't remember. I returned it almost as soon as I got it because it was a useless unit to me. For Pandora to work 100%, i had to use a wire to connect to my phone. My phone wasn't compatible with it, so back it went. The only thing Pandora should need to sync with an android is bluetooth, so I downgraded to the 3500BHS [ NICHOLAS A Dec 09, 2013 ]
Yes it is, has a soft case for storage as well [ NOE G Dec 09, 2013 ]
yeah it does [ MARCUS G Dec 09, 2013 ]
Sure does. [ KENNETH Dec 06, 2013 ]
Yes it has am/fm radio as well as a built in hd radio tuner [ CHRIS Dec 06, 2013 ]
The system does have AM/FM. It includes a digital tuning system as well which allows you to tune into local digital radio stations. [ JOSHUA Dec 06, 2013 ]
Yes it does. In addition to the normal analog radio receiver it will also receive HD radio signals. [ ZACK Dec 06, 2013 ]
Hi Will, Yes it does! [ JOHN Dec 06, 2013 ]
Yes it has AM/ FM and HD radio [ LEROY Dec 06, 2013 ]
It has both Analog & digital [ DAVE Dec 06, 2013 ]
Yes. [ BRUCE S Dec 06, 2013 ]
Yes it does... [ ASA Dec 06, 2013 ]
Yes am fm and hd radio bluetooth audio and wired from any portable device but apple is the preferred interface. [ KENNETH Dec 06, 2013 ]
Yes, and the ability to pull in the HD version of each station if its available. [ LAWRENCE Dec 06, 2013 ]
Yes it does, it is also nice when those radio station give off a data signal. Giving you an image and name of current song & artist. [ SEHON Dec 06, 2013 ]
yes it does [ FRANCISCO D Dec 06, 2013 ]
Will P. This unit does have FM/AM radio. The stations are broadcasted in HD. Hope this helps you. [ JEROME Dec 06, 2013 ]
Yes it does and HD radio [ IAN Dec 06, 2013 ]
Yes it does have am/fm radio. [ DAVID Dec 06, 2013 ]