Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Our take on the Pioneer DEH-X8600BS by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
Enjoy unparalleled variety with satellite radio
Pioneer's DEH-X8600BS CD receiver works with an optional tuner (not included) to let you tune into the many delights of SiriusXM satellite radio (subscription required). SiriusXM offers over 165 channels of programming choices — news, talk, music, and more. And the crystal-clear sound of SiriusXM will follow you wherever you roam, coast to coast throughout the lower 48 states.
Built-in Bluetooth®, too
The DEH-X8600BS offers the convenience and safety of built-in Bluetooth connectivity, too. You can answer a phone call with the push of a button, and then talk as if your caller is sitting next to you. Forget plugging in your music player when you get in the car — you can stream music wirelessly from compatible devices to this receiver, plus control many basic functions from the receiver's controls.
Siri Eyes Free for handsfree operation
Got an iPhone® with Siri? This versatile CD receiver supports Siri Eyes Free, which means you can ask Siri to make calls, select and play music, compose and hear text messages, read notifications, even use maps and get directions — all commanded by your voice through your Pioneer receiver.
Pioneer's 3-line display adds a big dose of "wow" to this stereo, with a variety of animated backgrounds and sharp, detailed presentations of song and system info. For an extra kick, turn on Pioneer's MIXTRAX feature when you're listening to the music stored on your iPhone® or Android™. This cool feature adds a light show to your favorite playlists, as the receiver's bright multi-colored display pulses in time with your music. And MIXTRAX fades in and out of each song just like a DJ would, adding special effects and keeping the musical energy high. Even when you're not using MIXTRAX, you'll enjoy the color combinations you can create with the separate display and button illumination options.
Customize the colors of the DEH-X8600BS to match your car.
Your music in your car
The rear USB input allows you to connect your iPod® or iPhone, then access your playlists with the Pioneer's controls. When your iPhone's connected, you'll also enjoy control over your favorite Pandora® stations from the receiver. You can use the USB input to tap into the music stored on many Android devices, while the front aux input handles just about any other audio source.
The DEH-X8600BS also features Media App Control, so you can play and control music from music apps like iHeartRadio®, Aupeo™, and others when used with an iPhone (via USB connection) or Android (via Bluetooth) devices. If you're into your CD collection, you'll enjoy excellent playback of your store-bought and home-burned discs.
Find your perfect soundscape
Pioneer's potent MOSFET amplifier delivers a sonic throat punch, while the 5-band EQ lets you tweak the sound as much as you want. The three pairs of preamp outputs let you build a rocking system with external amps and subwoofers.
Want to keep your steering wheel controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
This deck is a great deck and I would recommend it to anyone in need of a good quality deck at a good price.
Daniel, Kailua Kona hawaii
What's in the Box:
- CD receiver (w/ 10A mini-fuse inserted into chassis)
- Face (attached)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- 58" USB extension cable (w/ a male USB type-A connector on one end and a female USB type-A connector on other end)
- External microphone w/ sunvisor clips (attached 13' cable terminated by a right-angle male 2.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- Wireless remote control (QXE1044)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed)
- 2 Extraction keys
- 4 Pan head ISO-mount screws (M5 x 8mm)
- 4 Flat-head ISO-mount screws (M5 x 9mm)
- Face fixing screw
- Owner's Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA and WAV files
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- Siri "Eyes Free" support with compatible iPhones
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- Pandora control through iPhone
- Media App Control for playback and control of many popular music apps
- music file playback on select Android devices through USB input
- variable color illumination with separate control of display and buttons
- MIXTRAX for a DJ-inspired audio/visual experience with compatible devices
- remote control
- Advanced Sound Retriever (ASR) for improved sound quality from compressed music files
- 5-band equalizer with seven preset tone settings
- 3-level loudness
- low-pass and high-pass filters
- subwoofer level control
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- inputs: front panel auxiliary input; rear USB input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
Pioneer DEH-X8600BS Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power Output||14 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
Bluetooth Technology: The DEH-X8600BS is equipped with built-in Bluetooth ver. 3.0, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), HSP (Head Set Profile), OPP (Object Push Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Pioneer DEH-X8600BS.
SPP + USB Pairing w/ Guest Mode: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the DEH-X8600BS without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings (your phone must also support SSP). When your paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. Up to 3 Bluetooth-compatible devices can be paired to this head unit, but nly one device can be used at a time. You can also pair your Apple iPhone by simply connecting it to the Pioneer head unit via USB and following a single prompt on the head unit's display. In addition, the DEH-X8600BS features "Guest Mode", which allows you to add and replace a mobile device instantly to the receiver. Guest Mode is a great feature for a family vehicle with multiple drivers or a driver with multiple devices because it allows users to pair and delete devices easily without a lengthy registration or deletion process.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The DEH-X8600BS supports wireless hands-free communication (HFP/HSP/OPP/PBAB) for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker during an incoming call. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call. The DEH-X8600BS allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode. Using the DEH-X8600BS, you can dial a phone number in one of the following ways:
- Phone Book: The phone book in your Bluetooth enabled cellular phone will be transferred automatically when the phone is paired to this unit. After finding the number you want to call in the phone book from the head unit, you can select the entry and make the call. If a lot of numbers are registered in the phone book, you can search for a phone number by the contact person's name alphabetically (A-Z).
- Call Log: The most recent calls dialed, received, and missed are stored in memory. You can browse them and call numbers from these lists.
- Voice Dialing (Siri only): When paired and connected with an iPhone 4S or 5/5C/5S via Bluetooth, the Pioneer head unit has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. You'll be able to dial a phone number or contact via voice command.
Note: The external microphone provides better performance in noisy environments than the integrated microphone found on the front-panel of many aftermarket or factory radios. The microphone features a 13' cord that plugs into the back of the radio, and comes with an adjustable visor-mount clip. The microphone measures 0.475" (diameter) x 1.445" (depth). The unit is not equipped with an integrated microphone.
Wireless Audio Streaming (with Song/Artist Info): The Pioneer DEH-X8600BS also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The head unit can stream music stored on your Bluetooth enabled device or music apps you have downloaded on your device. The DEH-X8600BS will be able to control basic playback features; Play, Pause, & Skip Tracks (app must also support). The head unit will also display your music's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (app must also support). When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call.
Siri Eyes-Free Functionality: When paired and connected with an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Pioneer DEH-X8600BS has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. iPhone with Siri users can take advantage of Siri Eyes-Free functionality with a long-press of the 3-way rotary dial on the Pioneer receiver's front-panel. When activated, Siri voice prompts play through the vehicle's speakers and the user's commands and questions are received and transmitted to the receiver using the external microphone. Siri Eyes-Free provides access to many iPhone Siri functions such as music selection, making phone calls, and audible navigation (map will be displayed on iPhone); as well as listening to text messages, calendar information, and reminders. The head unit's display will only indicate hands-free calling and song/artist information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Pioneer DEH-X8600BS; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Note: Your iPhone with Siri can be connected via Bluetooth and USB simultaneously. You can only access stored music using Siri when the head unit's source is iPod or Bluetooth Audio. All other Siri functions can be accessed from any source. The head unit's audio is muted while Siri provides audible voice prompts.
Supertuner IIID AM/FM Tuner: The Supertuner IIID features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): The BSM (Best Stations Memory) function lets you automatically store the six strongest stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 levels of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
Pandora Internet Radio (for iPhone & Android): The free Pandora App (either from iTunes Apps or Google Play) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Pioneer DEH-X8600BS using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) or Bluetooth paired Android smartphone. Your Apple iPhone must be connected to the DEH-X8600BS via the appropriate Pioneer iPod connector cable (130CDIU51/130CDIU52, sold separately) or the connector-cable that came with your iPhone. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the Pioneer DEH-X8600BS. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. The DEH-X8600BS provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information.
- Station List w/ Shuffle: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z). You can also listen to songs played randomly from various stations within your Station List.
- New Stations: New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song/artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada & only available in the United States.
SiriusXM Ready: The Pioneer DEH-X8600BS CD receiver is SiriusXM Ready, so you can listen to commercial-free music, all your favorite sports, exclusive talk and entertainment, comedy, news, traffic, weather, and more. Simply connect the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV200, sold separately) to the dedicated SiriusXM port on the rear of the head unit and enjoy satellite radio without additional translators or cables. With the SiriusXM Connect tuner you'll have access to more than 150 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM, via the "SiriusXM All Access" package (subscription required). Visit SiriusXM.com for a complete list of subscription options and channel guide. Additional features of the SXV200 SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel/Category Lists: The Channel List displays a list of all available channels. The Category List displays all available categories and stations within those categories.
- Metadata Display: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD.
- Presets: You can store up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio Station Presets.
- Tune Start: Tune Start allows you to choose whether to start a song from the beginning or from its live point when tuning to a preset music channel.
- Tune/Category Scan: You can scan through channels within categories or songs from your preset channels. Tune Scan allows you to play back six seconds of each song in a preset music channel. Category Scan lets you play back six seconds of a live broadcast in the currently selected category.
- Instant Replay: Supports the SiriusXM Instant Replay function, so you can pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of live content.
- iTunes Tagging: The iTunes Tagging feature lets you Tag songs you hear on SiriusXM and stores the info on your iPod/iPhone (connected to your head unit via USB). The next time you connect your iPod/iPhone to iTunes, you will be able to preview your selections and then purchase and download them directly from iTunes.
- Parental Control: The SiriusXM Parental Control feature allows you to control access to channels that you consider inappropriate for younger listeners. When enabled, The Parental Control feature requires you to enter a 4-digit passcode to tune to the locked channels.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Compatible Discs: The Pioneer DEH-X8600BS CD receiver supports playback of CD-Audio, CD-R, and CD-RW discs. This unit can play MP3, WMA, AAC, and WAV music files recorded on CD-R and CD-RW discs
Rear-Panel USB Input (Android Compliant): The unit's rear-panel USB (type-A) port and 58" USB extension cable allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) or USB Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) compliant device; such as your Android smartphone, portable digital audio player, or USB thumbdrive. The USB port enables audio playback & control of MP3, WMA, AAC, and WAV audio files stored on your portable USB MSC/MTP device through the Pioneer DEH-X8600BS. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (1A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The unit's rear-panel USB port supports Android OS 4.0+ (Ice Cream Sandwich/Jelly Bean) as a Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) device. It also supports Android OS 2.2+ (Froyo/Gingerbread) as a Mass Storage Class (MSC) device; as of 11/25/2013. The receiver does not support Android OS 3.1+ (Honeycomb) or other Android operating systems not listed.
MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV Playback: The Pioneer DEH-X8600BS supports the following types of MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV files recorded onto CD-R/RW disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||CD-R/RW||USB (MSC/MTP)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, Long file name||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types|| MP3:
bit rate of 8-320 kbps w/ sampling rate of 32, 44.1, 48 kHz
WMA: bit rate of 48-320 kbps w/ sampling rate of 32, 44.1, 48 kHz
AAC: bit rate of 16-320 kbps w/ sampling rate of 11.025-48kHz
WAV: bit rate of 8- or 16-bit w/ sampling rate of 16-48kHz or 22.05-44.1kHz (not compatible w/ MTP)
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||99 folders/999 files||500 folders/15,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver.1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-/AAC-tags|
Music Browsing & Link Play: The Music Browsing feature lets you browse your USB memory device's music library by Artist, Album, Song, or Genre from the head unit in alphabetical order. The Link Play feature allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Play lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre.
Song/Artist Information: During MP3/WMA playback, the unit displays any recorded ID3 Tag (ver. 1.x/2.x) and WMA/AAC Tag information; including artist, song, and album name.
Playback Controls: The Pioneer CD receiver provides basic operations like Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random for disc and USB device playback. When a compatible Android smartphone is connected, the head unit will control music playback functions; you will not be able to control your music from the smartphone.
Media App Control (for Android): The Media App Control mode lets you listen to your favorite music apps on your Bluetooth-paired Android smartphone (2.3+) through the Pioneer head unit and your vehicle's speakers. Media App Control lets you take control of compatible music apps on your paired Android device through the Pioneer DEH-X8600BS. Media App Control allows you to play, pause, and change tracks from a compatible music app directly from the controls on the Pioneer head unit. The app's name (i.e. "iHeartAuto"), station identification, and song/artist information will be displayed on the head unit's LCD screen (when applicable, depending on app). Compatible music apps include (as of 11/25/2013):
|App Name||App Description||App Name||App Description|
|iHeartAuto||iHeartRadio for Auto (iHeartAuto). is a version of the free iHeartRadio digital radio app specifically designed for use in your car, truck or SUV.||Spotify||Spotify gives you instant access to millions of songs. With the Spotify app, you can choose to listen for free, or subscribe to Spotify Premium.|
|Aupeo!||AUPEO! Personal Radio offers free online music with a focus on the discovery of new songs and artists. Search by artist, song, genre, or mood.||TuneIn||TuneIn lets you listen to the world's radio with sports, news, talk, and music streaming from every continent. Enjoy 100,000 live radio stations and 2 million podcasts, concerts or shows on your iPhone, iPad and iPod, all for free.|
|Aha||Aha organizes your favorite Internet content into personalized, live, and on-demand radio stations, making it safe and easy to instantly access your favorite stuff on the go, all from a single dashboard. With choices that span Internet radio, podcasts, music, traffic, audiobooks, Facebook, Twitter, and more (all as presets).||Slacker||Slacker Radio is handcrafted radio from passionate music experts. Listen for free and discover the perfect music for any moment with hundreds of stations and recommendations.|
|Rdio||Rdio (from $4.99 per month) is a subscription based music service that enables you to create a library and listen to unlimited music on- or offline. Compatible with version 2.1.8 or older (version 2.2 or newer is not supported)||Livio||The Livio app ($4.99) lets you listen to more than 42,000 AM/FM and Internet-only radio streams from around the world.|
|SiriusXM||With the SiriusXM Internet Radio App, you can listen to SiriusXM's sports, talk, comedy, entertainment and commercial-free music programming. SiriusXM Internet Radio subscription is required.||gMusic||Keep up to 20,000 of your favorite songs in the cloud without having to use any space on your Android device.|
Note: Access to online music services and apps will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your Android device to connect to the Internet.
Off Insert/Eject + Auto Off Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback. When you eject a disc, the unit will automatically power off (unless you switch sources before ejecting the disc).
Installation Angle: Optimum CD playback performance is obtained when the unit is installed at an angle of less than 60-degrees.
iPod Direct Connection: The Pioneer DEH-X8600BS's rear-panel USB port and 58" extension cable can be used to connect your 30-pin dock connector or Lightning-connector iPod/iPhone to the head unit. The DEH-X8600BS supports audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of your compatible Apple device.
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: If you have an older iPod/iPhone with a 30-pin dock connector, you can use Pioneer's dock connector-to-USB cable (130CDIU51, sold separately) or the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the DEH-X8600BS.
- Lightning Connector: If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use Pioneer's Lightning-to-USB cable (130CDIU52, sold separately) or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the DEH-X8600BS.
Note: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
iPod Audio Playback w/ DAC Bypass: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 94dB. The Pioneer head unit supports audio playback of stored music, podcasts, audiobooks, and music apps on your iPod or iPhone. You can choose to operate your iPod/iPhone through the head unit's front-panel controls, from its clickwheel/touchscreen, or via a streamed app from your iPhone.
- Head Unit: From the head unit, you can browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Playlist, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook (your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked). Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically. In addition, the head unit offers Link Play, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Play lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder. The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, and Song/Artist/Album name.
- iPod Mode: In iPod mode, you can navigate the stored music on your iPod/iPhone from its clickwheel or touchscreen, while still being able to view song/artist information on the head unit's LCD.
- App Control: The App Control mode mode lets you listen to your favorite music apps from your iPhone (iOS 5.0+) through the Pioneer head unit and your vehicle's speakers. App Control lets you take control of compatible music apps on your connected Apple device through the Pioneer DEH-X8600BS. App Control allows you to play, pause, and change tracks from a compatible music app directly from the controls on the Pioneer head unit. The app's name (i.e. "iHeartAuto"), station identification, and song/artist information will be displayed on the head unit's LCD screen (when applicable, depending on app). Compatible music apps include (as of 9/25/2014):
|App Name||App Description||App Name||App Description|
|iHeartAuto||iHeartRadio for Auto (iHeartAuto). is a version of the free iHeartRadio digital radio app specifically designed for use in your car, truck or SUV.||Aha||Aha organizes your favorite Internet content into personalized, live, and on-demand radio stations, making it safe and easy to instantly access your favorite stuff on the go, all from a single dashboard. With choices that span Internet radio, podcasts, music, traffic, audiobooks, Facebook, Twitter, and more (all as presets)|
|Aupeo!||AUPEO! Personal Radio offers free online music with a focus on the discovery of new songs and artists. Search by artist, song, genre, or mood.||Livio||The Livio app ($4.99) lets you listen to more than 42,000 AM/FM and Internet-only radio streams from around the world.|
|Rdio||Rdio (from $4.99 per month) is a subscription based music service that enables you to create a library and listen to unlimited music on- or offline. Compatible with version 2.1.8 or older (version 2.2 or newer is not supported)||Spotify||Spotify gives you instant access to millions of songs. With the Spotify app, you can choose to listen for free, or subscribe to Spotify Premium.|
|StreamS HiFi Radio||StreamS ($3.99) is a full-featured iPhone streaming audio player delivering thousands of tested, reliable, high quality hi-fi HE-AAC streams.||TuneIn||TuneIn lets you listen to the world's radio with sports, news, talk, and music streaming from every continent. Enjoy 100,000 live radio stations and 2 million podcasts, concerts or shows on your iPhone, iPad and iPod, all for free.|
|gMusic||Keep up to 20,000 of your favorite songs in the cloud without having to use any space on your iOS device.||Slacker||Slacker Radio is handcrafted radio from passionate music experts. Listen for free and discover the perfect music for any moment with hundreds of stations and recommendations.|
|iTunes Radio||iTunes Radio is a free streaming online music service. You'll have access to more than 250 DJ-curated and genre-focused stations.||SiriusXM||With the SiriusXM Internet Radio App, you can listen to SiriusXM's sports, talk, comedy, entertainment and commercial-free music programming. SiriusXM Internet Radio subscription is required.|
Note: Access to online music services and apps will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer DEH-X8600BS is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 9/25/2014):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||App Control||Pandora App||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: The DEH-X8600BS is equipped with a front-panel 3.5mm stereo minijack auxiliary input for connecting external components, such as a portable MP3 player.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Pioneer in-dash head unit utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The DEH-X8600BS is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power specifications for the DEH-X8600BS are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
- CEA2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels
Note: The rear speaker outputs can be set to provide full range output with full fading capability, or they can be set to provide non-fading subwoofer (low-pass) output. When the rear speaker outputs are set to subwoofer mode, the rear preamp outputs also switch from full range to subwoofer outputs. When set for subwoofer operation, you can connect the rear speaker leads directly to two small 4-ohm passive subwoofers or a dual voice coil sub with 4-ohm voice coils. If you prefer to use a single 2-ohm subwoofer, you can connect the woofer to one set of speaker leads, leaving the other set of rear leads disconnected. The maximum output provided when a 2-ohm load is connected to one set of leads is 70 watts.
4V/6CH Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The Pioneer DEH-X8600BS features three pair of 4.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The Pioneer DEH-X8600BS lets you adjust the subwoofer preamp output's phase (normal/reverse) and volume (+6 to -24).
Crossovers: The DEH-X8600BS employs high pass and low pass crossovers to tailor the head unit to your connected speakers.
- HPF: The head unit's 12dB/octave high pass filter only allows frequencies higher than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125Hz) to your front and rear speakers through the unit's speaker-level or line-level outputs.
- LPF: The subwoofer preamp output features an18dB/octave low pass filter so only frequencies lower than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125Hz) are output to your connected subwoofer.
Equalizer: The Pioneer DEH-X8600BS features a Preset & Custom EQ. The built-in equalizer offers 7 preset sound modes (Powerful, Dynamic, Vocal, Natural, Custom 1, Custom 2, and Flat) suitable for the music genre of your choice. The two Custom modes allow you to manually adjust the head unit's 5-band EQ (80Hz, 250Hz, 800Hz, 2.5kHz, 8kHz) from +/-6dB. Custom 1 can be set separately for each source (except for USB/iPod/Pandora); while Custom 2 and the other 5 presets are shared settings used for all sources.
Advanced Sound Retriever: The Advanced Sound Retriever automatically enhances compressed audio and restores the original richness of the recording. Hear the detail, warmth, and clarity, the way the artist intended it, from all of your highly compressed MP3 and WMA files stored on your USB device, iPod/iPhone, and portable media players. By restoring data (especially higher frequencies) that tends to get lost in the digital compression process, Pioneer's Advanced Sound Retriever technology enhances audio reproduction nearly all the way up to 20 kHz frequencies
Audio Level Settings: The Pioneer DEH-X8600BS CD receiver offers a variety of audio settings to tailor the bass, treble, and volume level to your preference.
- Bass Boost The DEH-X8600BS features a bass boost function which can be used to enhance low-frequency bass sound. The bass boost function can be set between 0-6.
- Loudness: The Loudness feature compensates for deficiencies in the low and high sound ranges at low volume. You can set the Loudness feature to Low, Mid, High, or Off.
- Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the volume level of the FM tuner, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4dB to +4dB.
MIXTRAX: Drawing from Pioneer's rich DJ heritage and passion for music, MIXTRAX delivers a unique DJ infused listening experience to listeners in the car. MIXTRAX is an innovative Pioneer technology that creates a non-stop mix of your music library complete with a range of DJ-inspired effects. MIXTRAX takes your typical music listening experience and creates a non-stop mix of your music with 9 random DJ effects and transitions, by removing the breaks and pauses normally introduced between tracks and replacing them with various beats. MIXTRAX is compatible with USB-connected iPhone, iPod, USB MSC device, and select Android devices. There is also a Short Playback option which limits the amount of time each track plays; select from 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, or 3 minutes.
Note: The MIXTRAX function does not work in App/Media App Control mode or with the Pandora App for iPod/iPhone/iPad. It is also not supported by USB MTP devices.
Detachable Face Security: The Pioneer DEH-X8600BS in-dash CD receiver features Detachable Face Security. If the front-panel is not detached from the head unit within five seconds of turning off the ignition, a warning tone will sound. The warning tone can be turned off in the menu, if desired. No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
3-Line Full-Dot LCD w/ Ever Scroll: The Pioneer DEH-X8600BS features a 3-line, full-dot LCD which makes it easier to see what is playing in most lighting conditions. You can easily view file/folder lists from your MP3, WMA, AAC, and CD Text-encoded discs, Radio presets, or data from your connected iPod/iPhone. When the Ever Scroll feature is set to On, recorded text information scrolls continuously on the display. It will auto-scroll up to 64 characters. Set this feature to Off if you prefer the information to scroll only once.
Note: For your convenience, this unit is equipped with a multiple language display. You can select the language which is best suited to your first language - English, French, or Spanish.
Color Customization: Color Customization lets the user match their receiver illumination to their vehicle's interior lighting. Over 210,000 colors are available to match the illumination of almost any car. The button illumination and display illumination colors can be customized separately for an endless number of color combinations. You can select from 5 preset colors (White/Red/Amber/Green/Blue), customize an illumination color (by adjusting Red/Blue/Green brightness levels), or scan through a variety of colors. In addition, the brightness and contrast of the display can be adjusted. You can also select "ILLUMI FX" to enable an illumination effect (on the display and keys) that will slowly fade in and out in a set pattern when a command or operation is made from the head unit.
MIXTRAX Illumination: MIXTRAX features a club-style illumination that enhances the mood with a dynamic dance club-like lighting effect. As MIXTRAX begins, lights start pulsing to the beat of the music, adding an extra level of entertainment. You can choose among twelve patterns of lighting variations from sound pressure level or low-pass synchronization modes. The lighting effects work like a spectrum analyzer, reaching peak colors based on the intensity of the music. You can also choose which area's of the head unit's face illuminates; select Display, Display/Buttons, or Off.
Calendar/Clock + Entertainment Displays: The Pioneer DEH-X8600BS provides time, date, month, and year display. You can choose to have the head unit display the calendar and clock even when the unit is powered off (your vehicle must be running or in the accessory position. You can also enjoy entertainment displays while listening to each sound source. You can choose from the following; Background Visual, Genre, Background Picture (1/2/3/4), Spectrum Analyzer, Level Indicator, Movie Screen, Simple Display, or Calendar.
Note: The Clock display can be turned on or off. When the Clock display is turned off, the head unit will completely shutdown when the "SRC/Off" button is held down for one second. When the Clock display is turned on, the head unit's clock display will remain on when the "SRC/Off" button is held down for one second; the rest of the unit shuts down.
Automatic Dimmer: To prevent the display from being too bright at night, the display is automatically dimmed when the car's headlights are turned on. You can turn the auto dimmer feature on or off. The automatic dimmer function only works when the orange/white illumination wire in the wiring harness is connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit.
Engine Time Alert: This setting allows you to measure the length of time that elapses from when the head unit is turned on and display the amount of elapsed time per set period (15 min., 30 min., or Off). There will also be an audible alarm. This function is handy if you are listening to the radio with the vehicle' ignition is in the accessory position, and the engine off.
Wireless Remote Control: The DEH-X8600BS comes with an IR wireless remote control. The remote allows you to control the volume, switch between sources, pause the CD, change the display, and adjust the audio. You can also mute the volume (function that cannot be performed from the front panel).
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
4 questions already asked
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Oct 20, 2014 ] Staff
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Jeff Jan 19, 2014 ] Staff
Yes. The entire face is removed, not partial like many newer models. [ Andreas Dec 30, 2013 ]
Yes [ Brett Dec 29, 2013 ]
Yes. [ Tyler Dec 28, 2013 ]
Yes, it does. [ Sean Dec 28, 2013 ]
Yes. [ Jason Dec 28, 2013 ]
Yes it does [ BRUCE Dec 28, 2013 ]
Yes it does. I'd go with the cheaper one though. [ BRAD Dec 28, 2013 ]
yes. There's a small button on the bottom right corner to release it [ MELISSA Dec 28, 2013 ]
Yup! [ ROBERT Dec 28, 2013 ]
This has the detachable front face which helps prevent theft. Unfortunately Pioneer no longer includes the nice plastic case to store it in. Not a problem, but was a nice feature. [ James Dec 28, 2013 ]
As Jeff K said, the USB port will charge devices that require 1A, which includes most smartphones and iPods. You won't be able to charge things like iPads or other tablets which require more current. [ Tyler Dec 28, 2013 ]
The USB port will provide 1A of current when using your phone. This will power and trickle charge your phone. For specific information on the controls available for your phone please check out the "Details" tab. [ Jeff Dec 09, 2013 ] Staff