Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Portable XM satellite radio/MP3 player
Item # 130XMP3 | MFR # GEX-XMP3
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Pioneer XMp3 by Crutchfield's Zak Billmeier
Listen to XM, play your MP3s just about anywhere
Pioneer combines the best of both worlds with the XMp3 satellite radio, giving you XM reception and MP3/WMA playback in a portable device about the size of a cell phone. Its built-in antenna receives a live XM signal, while a microSD slot lets you play back up to 8GB of your favorite MP3s and WMAs.
Storing XM content
You'll enjoy lots of options for recording up to 100 hours of XM programming. When you hook up the XMp3 to your computer, XM2go® Music Manager software helps you organize your recorded content, and lets you schedule recordings it's like a DVR for your satellite radio. In addition to recording single songs or blocks of programming, you can set the XMp3 to record up to 5 channels at the same time. That'll come in handy if your news program, celebrity interview, and music special all happen to air during an important ballgame.
One-touch recording and program alerts
Like a song you're hearing for the first time? One-touch recording lets you tap a button and save it into the XMp3 radio's memory. With TuneSelect and GameSelect, the XMp3 tells you when your favorite songs, artists, or teams are playing on another XM channel.
The XMp3 lets you pause, rewind, and replay up to 30 minutes of live XM, so it's no problem if you're interrupted during one of your favorite programs. XM's online and built-in programming guides keep you posted on what's coming up on your favorite XM channels.
Bright, vibrant display and easy controls
The XMp3's vivid screen displays channel, artist, and song information with text that's easy to read, even in bright sunlight. And the XMp3's simple button layout allows you to navigate XM programming and your MP3/WMA collection with ease.
A true portable
Pioneer built the XMp3 to be a true portable, with a built-in antenna that picks up the live XM signal anywhere that's free of obstructions. Just charge up the battery, plug in the included earbuds, and go.
The XMp3 comes with a handy remote, plus a home dock for connecting to your computer, an audio cable, and a USB cable. Add an optional car kit to play it through your vehicle's stereo, a home kit with an antenna for listening over your home stereo, or a boombox for portable amplification.
Note: A subscription to XM is also required. Satellite radio service is available only within Canada and the lower 48 states not available in Hawaii or U.S. territories.
This radio works even better than advertised. If you are considering this radio...don't hesitate, Buy it now!!
What's in the Box:
- Portable XM Satellite Radio Receiver with MP3 player
- 3.7V/920mAh/3.4Wh rechargeable Lithium battery
- Earbud headphones with attached 36" cord terminated by a male 3.5mm connector
- 3 Pairs of silicone earbud inserts (small/medium/large)
- Home docking station
- 5.2V/1.6A AC power supply with attached 6.5' DC cord
- Home XM antenna with attached 20' cord terminated by an SMB connector
- IR wireless remote control with installed CR2032 3V Lithium battery
- 36" USB cable with a USB type-A connector on one end and a mini-USB type-B connector on other end
- 39" Audio cable with a pair of stereo RCA connectors on one end and a stereo 3.5mm minijack connector on other end
- User Guide (English)
- User Guide (Spanish)
- XMp3 Brochure
- Batter Disposal note
- XM Channel Guide
- portable handheld XM satellite radio/MP3/WMA player
- built-in antenna allows for portable reception of live XM broadcasts
- microSD card slot lets you play back up to 8GB of your favorite MP3s and WMAs
- home accessories included: cradle, power adapter, audio cable
- USB cable for scheduling recordings from your computer
- internal memory for storage of up to 100 hours of XM programming, including individual songs and blocks of XM programming
- record up to 5 channels at the same time
- one-touch recording of up to 10 hours of individual songs
- schedule recording for up to 75 hours of your favorite XM programs with XM2go Music Manager
- bookmark and purchase songs from compatible online music services, including Napster, using the XM2go Music Manager
- bright, full-color display shows channel, artist, and song information
- TuneSelect memory alerts you when songs or artists you've saved are playing on XM
- GameSelect lets you know when your favorite sports teams are playing on any XM channel
- 99 channel presets
- display shows scrolling info extras, including sports scores and a stock ticker
- weight: 3.1 oz
- 2-1/8"W x 4-5/16"H x 11/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Pioneer XMp3 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: The Pioneer XMp3 is a portable satellite radio receiver with a built-in 2 GB memory for recording satellite radio programming or storing MP3 and WMA music files downloaded from your computer. The XMp3 also supports microSD cards up to 8 GB for playback of your stored MP3/WMA music files. The XMp3 comes with a home kit for connecting the unit to your home stereo system, plus a pair of earbud headphones. An optional car kit (item number 130XMP3CAR) and an additional home kit (item number 130XMP3HOM) are also available.
XM Satellite Radio: XM Satellite Radio programming offers more than 170 digital radio channels including 69 channels of commercial free music, plus news, sports, talk, comedy, and other entertainment programming from coast to coast. A subscription is required for service.
Rechargeable Battery: The XMp3 comes with a 3.7-volt rechargeable lithium-ion battery. The battery is rated for 4 hours of live XM playback or 16.5 hours of prerecorded content playback. The amount of playback time can be affected by the duration of the display backlight. The battery can be recharged while plugged into household AC current or connected to your PC via the USB cable. The battery has a standby life of 30 days when fully charged.
Display: The XMp3 is equipped with a full-color 2.25" TFT LCD screen. The XM channel names are displayed with their full color logo. In addition to the XM Channel names, the display shows the channel number, artist name, song title, battery status, and clock. The display also indicates the current play mode (XM or My Music), signal strength or available memory, and, when playing songs in My Music, a progress bar with total track length and current location within a track.
Built-in 2GB Memory: The XMp3's 2GB built-in memory can be used to store XM content or a combination of both XM and MP3/WMA files. You can choose to exclusively store XM content, using the entire memory to store up to 100 hours of programming.
Removable Memory Storage: The Pioneer XMp3 features a microSD card slot which supports microSD and microSDHC cards up to 8GB (sold separately) for playback of your stored MP3/WMA music files. Pioneer recommends Class 2 microSD cards for best performance. (Class 6 cards are not compatible, and Class 4 cards may be problematic at this time.)
Built-In Antenna: The XMp3 uses a built-in XM antenna located on top of the unit to allow you to listen to Live XM radio on the go in many areas and various locations.
Operating Modes: The XMp3 features two different listening modes - Live XM and My Music Library.
- Live XM: Live XM is where you
listen to and record live XM broadcasts. You can
search for XM music through the entire listing of
channels or search by categories (genres), direct
track access or create your own favorites listing
of up to 99 XM Radio stations. The Live XM mode
offers the following additional features:
- Pause and Replay: The Pioneer XMp3 has a 30-minute memory buffer which allows you to pause and replay Live XM programming.
- TuneSelect: The TuneSelect feature finds your favorite artist or song (up to 30) whenever they are currently being played on any XM channel. When you hear a favorite song, you can add the song or artist to the TuneSelect list. You can also enter an artist name or song title using the virtual on-screen keyboard, even if it's not currently playing. When the saved song or artist is playing on any other XM channel, the XMp3 will beep and you will be given the option to switch to that channel.
- Bookmark: You can bookmark songs that you hear on XM (live or recorded), and view those bookmarks through the XM2go Music Manager application when the unit is connected to your PC. You can then look up information about the artist or album, and purchase a complete, high-fidelity version of the song that can be played on multiple devices from Napster.
- Recording XM: You can instantly record XM content to the memory with the press of a single button and record a single song or continue to record the current channel for up to six hours. You can also instruct the XMp3 to automatically record up to 30 hours of content from one of the five channels you listen to most. A specific event can be recorded by scheduling the date (today, every day, or a specific date), start time, end time, and channel. The unit can record up to 10 hours continuously and store up to 100 hours of XM music.
- My Music Library: This mode allows you
to listen to XM content that you have recorded to the XMp3
and any MP3/WMA files or audio books you have stored on the
XMp3 or an inserted microSD card from your PC. The My Music
Mode offers the following features:
- Organizing Music: All songs and tracks that are stored in the XMp3 are normally played in the order that they were recorded or transferred into the unit. You can also sort the selections by artists, category, channel, or by recording session.
- Playlist: This feature allows you to create one or more custom playlists. Each playlist is an index of songs that play in a certain order. The XMp3 allows you to create multiple playlists to allow you to enjoy your music in various order and combinations. Note: You cannot combine XM recorded tracks and MP3s or WMA on the same playlist.
Auto Recording: The XMp3 radio is able to learn your listening habits and automatically record up to 30 hours of XM programming from the five channels you listen to most frequently.
Settings: The Settings menu allows you to adjust the preferences and setup of your XMp3. The following is a list of function adjustments found within this menu:
- EQ Presets: The XMp3 offers the following EQ Presets - Flat, Max Boost, Pop, Rock, Classical, Jazz, Talk, Vocal, and Bass Boost
- Display: This feature allows you to adjust the brightness level (low/medium/high) of the LCD display and select how long the backlight of the display will stay on. You can choose from 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, always on, or always off.
- Info Extras: XM Satellite Radio broadcasts information such as sports scores, stock prices, and other features from time to time. You can select your favorite sports teams or track up to 20 stocks, and the scores and stock prices will scroll along the bottom of the display.
- Edit Alerts: You can enable GameSelect Alerts, Program Alerts and/or Schedule Recordings.
- Channel Skip/Add: You can simplify the list of channels that you see from the XM channel list when you press the up and down arrows by removing stations you don't want listed.
- Sleep Timer: You can set the XMp3 to play for a specified amount of time and turn itself off. The sleep timer can be set for 15, 30, 45, or 60 minutes.
Remote Control: The unit comes supplied with a full-featured IR wireless remote control. The remote control offers the same functions as the unit's controls as well as the Jump feature which switches to the previous channel you were listening to.
Connections: The following connections are located on the XMp3.
- Dock Connector: proprietary dock connector used to supply connection to either the supplied home dock or optional car dock
- USB Jack: Mini-USB type B connector port used to supply connection to your PC via the supplied USB cable
- Earbud Jack: 3.5mm mini-jack headphone port used for portable and private listening of your music via the supplied earbud headphones or optional headphones of your choice
USB Port and Cable: The kit features a mini USB type-B port and comes supplied with a USB type-A to mini USB type-B cable to allow transfer of MP3 and WMA music files to the Pioneer XMp3 from your computer. The USB cable will also charge the battery to the XMp3 when connected to your PC.
XM2go Music Manager Software: You can download the XM2go Music Manger software at www.xmradio.com/xm2gomusicmanager to help you organize your Satellite Radio and MP3/WMA music. The XM2go Music Manager Software offers the following functions:
- Scheduled Recordings: This function allows you to record XM content from up to five XM Radio channels at the same time for up to 75 hours.
- Manage Your Music: You can easily create and modify custom playlists of your XM recordings or your personal MP3/WMA music collection.
- Rip CDs to MP3/WMA Files: Allows you to enjoy your MP3 and WMA files on a microSD card or transfer them onto the XMp3.
- View XM's Online Program Guide: Displays what is playing on all XM channels for the next two weeks.
- Bookmark and Purchase Songs: Allows you to bookmark and purchase songs from compatible online music service including www.napster.com.
- Purchase and Listen to Audio Books: Allows you to purchase and listen to audio books from www.Audible.com/xm.
- Link to other XM Radio Websites: Allows you to link to other XM Radio websites such as XM Radio Online (XMRO) and www.xmradio.com.
- Support for Multiple Radios: You can manage multiple XM2go radios from one computer. Connect another XMp3 radio or any other XM2go radio such as the inno, Helix, Nexus or Skyfi3.
- Manage Software Updates: When a new software release is available, and you connect the XMp3 radio to your computer, you will be prompted to complete the update.
System Requirements: The XM2go Music Manager software runs on Window-based personal computers only. The XMp3 and XM2go Music Manager software is compatible with Microsoft XP Pro or Home with SP2, Vista Home, Vista Ultimate, Vista Business, and Vista Premium.
|Windows XP System Requirements
||Windows Vista System Requirements
Supplied Home Dock: The supplied home kit allows you to use your Pioneer XMp3 in your home along with your existing home audio/video system. It includes a home docking station, remote control, AC power adapter, antenna, audio cable, and USB cable. You can purchase additional home docks if you choose to use your XMp3 in multiple locations in your home or at the office (item number 130XMP3HOM).
- Docking Cradle: The XMp3 features a
horizontal docking cradle that allows you to play your XMp3
through your existing home stereo system. The dock features
the following connections.
- Dock Connector: proprietary connector used to attach your XMp3
- 5V DC: power connection port to be used with the supplied AC power adapter
- Line Out: 3.5mm mini-jack line output used to transfer signal from your XMp3 to your home stereo system via the supplied stereo mini-jack to stereo RCA cable
- Antenna: SMB connector used to connect the supplied XM indoor/outdoor antenna
- Remote Control: The supplied compact remote control contains a 0-9 numeric keypad, volume, up/down/left/right and XM select buttons, power, mode, record, pause/mute, bookmark, favorites, jump, and display buttons.
- XM Antenna: The high-gain antenna gives you interior or exterior mounting options, and features a hinged base for flexible positioning. The antenna can be placed on any horizontal surface or mounted vertically to an interior or exterior wall.
Note: It is recommended that the antenna be positioned near a south-facing window or outdoors with a clear view of the southern sky in order to receive the satellite signal.
Optional Car Dock: The optional vehicle kit (sold separately) allows you to mount and play the Pioneer XMp3 portable XM Radio receiver (item number 130XMP3CAR) through your car audio system. It includes a car docking station (with dash and vent mounts), a remote control, a cigarette lighter DC power adapter, a cassette adapter, a magnetic base XM antenna and an XM SureConnect cable.
- Mounting Brackets: The car kit comes with two mounting brackets. One swivels and has a self-adhesive pad and two screw holes, it can be mounted to nearly any flat surface. The other features two clips that can be attached to an air vent. The dock mounts to either bracket.
- 12 Volt Adapter: The vehicle kit comes supplied with a 12 Volt cigarette lighter adapter to provide a simple power connection to your XMp3 when placed in the car dock.
- Antenna: The vehicle comes supplied with a magnetic base XM antenna so it easily adheres to your vehicle's sheet metal. The antenna is normally mounted on the roof or trunk of the vehicle.
- FM Modulator: The XMp3 receiver contains
a built-in FM modulator that when docked in the vehicle kit
allows you to listen to whatever your XMp3 is playing using
your vehicle's FM radio without attaching any audio cables to
your car's head-unit. You will still need to mount the XM
antenna for a Satellite signal and use the cigarette lighter
adapter for power. You will also need an optional XM
SureConnect Cable (220XMSC1) to complete your installation.
- Optional XM SureConnect Cable: The optional XM SureConnect cable improves FM frequency transmission between you vehicle's FM antenna an the built-in wireless FM transmitter inside the receiver. You will want to place the XM antenna as close to your FM antenna as possible. The SureConnect cable can then be clipped to your FM antenna if you have a fixed mount antenna or stuck to the interior of the windshield if you have an In-Glass FM antenna. The SureConnect cable plugs into the vehicle's dock antenna plug and the XM antenna then plugs into the SureConnect cable. The SureConnect cable cannot be used on retractable or motorized FM antennas.
Note: If you're not able to use the XM SureConnect cable, you'll need to use either an optional tape adapter (if applicable) or the optional wired FM method of installation using the optional FM direct adapter (item 130XMFM1, sold separately). If your headunit has an auxiliary input you can use the line-out connection.
Important Note from Crutchfield: Current FCC rules limit the transmission strength of wireless FM transmitters to a point where transmission needs to take place very near your FM antenna. XM includes the SureConnect wiring with the car kit in order to address this issue, but Crutchfield strongly encourages customers to use an auxiliary input, wired FM modulator, or cassette adapter to ensure satisfaction with the performance and cosmetics of this satellite radio.
- Remote Control: The supplied compact remote control contains power, mode, volume up/down, four directional cursers, XM select, record, pause/mute, bookmark, favorites, jump, and display buttons, as well as a 0-9 numeric keypad.
- Connections: The car dock features the
- Dock Connector: The proprietary docking connector transfers power, antenna signal, and audio signals to and from the XMp3.
- Line Out: stereo 3.5mm mini-jack for use with supplied cassette audio adapter; using an optional audio cable, you can connect the cradle directly to your receiver's auxiliary input (if your receiver has one)
- DC In (5V): jack for use with the supplied cigarette lighter power adapter
- Antenna Connection: single SMB jack for use with supplied antenna; this is a single input that accepts satellite and terrestrial signals, it is not compatible with antennas or antenna extensions that require separate satellite and terrestrial connections
- Internal Storage Capacity: 2 GB
- Removable Media Storage: microSD up to 8 GB
- Music File Formats Supported: MP3 and WMA
- MP3/WMA Fixed Bitrates: 32, 48, 64, 96, 128, 160, 192, 256, 320 kbps
- MP3/WMA Variable Bitrates: 64-128, 128-256, 1630-320 kbps
- External Power: 5 V DC/1600 mA
- XMp3 Battery: Lithium Ion, 3.7 V/920 mAh
- Remote Battery: CR2032 / 3 volt
- Headphone Output: 3.5 mini-stereo jack
- Audio Output: 3.5mm mini-stereo jack (home dock)
- Antenna Connector: RF SMB (home dock)
- Width: 2.065"
- Height: 4.265"
- Depth: 0.635"
- Weight: 3.104 oz
- Home Dock:
- Width: 2.725"
- Height: 1.375"
- Depth: 2.105"
- Home Antenna:
- Width: 2.365"
- Height: 0.9375" (3.0625" w/ antenna up)
- Depth: 2.785"
- Cord Length: 20'
- Width: 1.585"
- Height: 0.595"
- Depth: 4.715"
- Weight: 2.116 oz
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.