Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
e-wear multi-format digital A/V recorder/player
Item # 133SVAV30 | MFR # SV-AV30
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Panasonic SV-AV30 by Crutchfield's Melanie Seibert
Too cool for words! Panasonic's SV-AV30 is so versatile, we weren't sure what to call this "digital A/V recorder/player." You'll just call it fun!
The SV-AV30's range of recording and playback options is impressive, even for a Panasonic e-wear device and that's really saying something. It can play MP3 and AAC music files, snap digital photos, capture MPEG video clips, and record snippets of audio.
Plus, the 'AV30 includes a docking cradle that connects to the composite inputs and outputs on your television or other A/V component; you can record your favorite TV show and take it with you, or see your MPEG videos on a TV screen! And of course, even when there's no TV handy, you can always view your photos and video on the 2" flip-out LCD viewscreen.
This little gadget is easy to carry, thanks to its small size, and easy to control, thanks to the supplied in-line remote. The included 64MB Secure Digital® card can hold up to 1,760 digital photos, over an hour of MPEG video, or 2 hours of music! (Get even more storage capacity by adding more SD cards.) And a USB cable is included, for quick transfer of audio, video, and image files to and from your computer via its USB jack.
- SD card slot for use with Secure Digital memory cards
- included 64MB Secure Digital card holds approximately:
- 134 minutes of music at 64 Kbps
- 89 minutes at 96 Kbps
- 67 minutes at 128 Kbps
- JPEG resolution: 640 x 480
- MPEG4 resolution options: 320 x 240; 176 x 144
- MPEG4 frame rate: 15 frames per second
- A/V cradle with cables (cradle also charges battery)
- stick-style remote control
- 2" LCD viewscreen
- earbud headphones
- USB 1.1 interface (cable included)
- AC adapter
- wearable carrying case
- built-in flash
- audio playback time: up to 3 hours with supplied lithium ion rechargeable
- includes SD-Jukebox music management software and SD-MovieStage video management software
- 2-1/2"W x 1-1/16"H x 3-1/16"D
- weight: 4.3 oz. with battery and memory card
- player: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- imager: 6 months parts, 90 days labor
- battery, SD card, AC adapter: 90 days parts
- Windows® 98SE, Me, XP Home Edition/Professional, or 2000 Professional operating system
- USB port
- For additional requirements, see Detailed Info.
What's in the Box:
- SV-AV30 Multi A/V device
- Black leather wearable carrying case
- In-ear headphones (with 17" cord)
- In-line remote control (with 28" cord)
- CGA-S301A1 Lithium Ion rechargeable battery pack (3.7V/1000mAh)
- VSK0626 AC adapter (with attached 5' cord)
- VSK0628 A/V docking cradle
- 64MB SD Memory card
- Two 59" A/V cables (each cable has a male mini-plug on one end and male stereo RCA plugs and a composite video plug on the other end)
- 5' USB cable (has full size male USB connector on one end and a male mini-USB--version 2.0--on the other end)
- USB Caution sheet
- Panasonic CD-ROM software for Windows
- Operating Instructions (English/French/Spanish)
- Canadian Warranty Card (inside envelope)
Four-In-One Player: The Panasonic SV-AV30 is an ultra-compact multi A/V device that can capture moving pictures (15 frames per second) and still pictures, will playback MP3 and AAC music files, and functions as a digital voice recorder as well. All features use SD technology and SD memory cards, so you only need one format to take advantage of its many capabilities.
Compatible Media: This unit is compatible with SD Memory Cards. A 64MB SD Memory Card is included with this unit. Note: While you may use a MultiMediaCard in the SV-AV30, it is not possible to perform certain functions, such as music file playback and MPEG4 moving picture recording in the Super Fine mode.
LCD Monitor: This unit features a 2.0-inch (diagonal) LCD color monitor with 200,000 pixels. The monitor's aspect ratio is 4:3 and measures approximately 1-5/8" x 1-1/4". The monitor can be opened to a 120-degree angle. With the monitor in the open position, you can rotate the screen 90-degrees clockwise and 180-degrees counter-clockwise. Once totally rotated 180 degrees, you can close the monitor with the screen facing outward. With the monitor, you can compose and view still and moving images, plus use the menu system to set the unit's recording and playback parameters. For best visibility, you can adjust the monitor's brightness and color level.
A/V Docking Cradle: The SV-AV30 features a multi-function docking cradle. It has an A/V mini-jack input and an A/V mini-jack output for use with the supplied A/V cables. You can connect the docking cradle to an external device, such as a TV, VCR, or audio component, for recording and playing back audio, video and pictures. The docking cradle also has an input for the supplied AC adapter, allowing you to charge the lithium battery inside the SD Multi-AV Device.
Stereo Earphones: Designed to fit snugly inside the user's ears, the supplied ear buds are attached to a soft, flexible cord which has unequal lengths for each side. The right cord is 12" longer than the left, as it is meant to pass behind the user's head, and the cable should hang down the user's left side. The cable is 17" (from the left ear bud), and terminates with a gold-plated stereo mini-plug.
In-Line Remote: The SV-AV30 also comes with an in-line remote control with a 28" cord. The ear buds plug into the end of the in-line remote. The controls on the remote include: Start/Stop Recording or Playback, File skip forward/Fast forward, File skip backward/Fast rewind, Volume +/-, EQ and Hold (to lock the buttons on the remote). The remote has a spring-loaded clip to allow you to attach it to clothing. The cord terminates in a gold-plated, right-angle mini-plug.
Power Requirements: You can power the unit with the supplied Lithium Ion rechargeable battery, or the supplied AC adapter. It takes approximately 2 hours to recharge a fully discharged battery (under normal ambient temperatures). In addition, a built-in battery sustains the operation of the unit's clock.
Recording Capabilities: The SV-AV30 can record still images in the JPEG format at a resolution of 640 x 480 (VGA) with three image quality settings (Fine, Normal and Economy). It can also record moving pictures in MPEG4 in four image quality settings and two resolutions: 320 x 240 (Super Fine or Fine) and 176 x 144 (Normal or Economy).
Optics: The device has an F2.35 lens with a focal length of 3.55mm. The optimum distance for recording is approximately 1.7 feet (20.4") from the lens. The lens has no zooming capability, however, you can switch to a "2x" setting which digitally doubles the image size to give you a closer shot. Note: Some picture degradation takes place when the "double zoom" is activated.
Image Sensor: Images are captured with a 1/4" CMOS (Complimentary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) Image Sensor.
Built-in Flash: You can take pictures in low-light situations, without having to carry an external flash. The available range of the flash is approximately 2 to 7.4 feet in a dark place. Note: Standard illumination is 1400 lux; minimum illumination is 60 lux.
Backlight Compensation: To prevent a recording subject from appearing too dark in a backlight setting, you can engage the backlight compensation mode.
White Balance: The SV-AV30 adjusts the white balance automatically. Depending upon the scene or lighting conditions, the automatic white balance adjustment may not be able to bring out natural colors. In such cases, the white balance can be manually adjusted.
Recording Still Images: Using an SD Memory Card, you can take 640 x 480 (VGA) still photos in 3 different modes varying in quality. The still image storage capacity of various SD Memory Cards is as follows:
|Card Size||Image Quality Setting|
Viewing Still Images: Once you have recorded still images, you can view them in a number of ways. When the unit is in picture playback mode, the images appear in an index screen six at at time. You can play back one image at a time manually, or one image every five seconds in a slideshow fashion.
Erasing/Protecting Images: Unwanted images can be erased one at a time or all at once. You can protect important images to avoid accidentally erasing them. Once an image is protected, it cannot be erased during a single-frame erase or all-frame erase function. Note: Protected images can be erased when the card is reformatted.
Printing Images: Images can be downloaded to a computer via the USB cable, then printed. You can also take the loaded SD Memory Card to a photo lab where images are downloaded and printed. Printing data, such as the number of images to be printed, can be written to the Memory Card. This device confirms to DPOF (Digital Print Order Format), which is recognized by many specialty photo labs.
Recording Moving Images: You can use the supplied SD Memory Card to record 15 frames per second MPEG4 video clips. Clips can be saved to your computer to add effects, email, or post online. You may select from four image quality settings for MPEG4 files--two at a resolution of 320 x 240 and two at 176 x 144. The MPEG4 recording time capacity of various SD Memory Cards is as follows:
|Card Size||Image Quality Setting|
|320 x 240||176 x 144|
|8MB||1 Minute||2 Minutes||3 Minutes||8 Minutes|
|16MB||2 Minutes||5 Minutes||8 Minutes||18 Minutes|
|32MB||4 Minutes||10 Minutes||17 Minutes||37 Minutes|
|64MB||8 Minutes||20 Minutes||35 Minutes||75 Minutes|
|128MB||17 Minutes||42 Minutes||70 Minutes||270 Minutes|
|256MB||35 Minutes||85 Minutes||260 Minutes||600 Minutes|
Auto Recording Function: When the SV-AV30 is connected to the A/V Docking cradle, you can record moving pictures with audio directly from an external device using a timer function. Once the external device is connected to the cradle via the audio/video cables, you can set the SD Multi-AV Device on Auto Record Standby. Once the unit detects an input signal, it starts recording, and continues for a pre-selected length of time, or until recording is manually stopped.
Viewing Moving Images: Similar to still image playback, the moving image files are initially displayed in an index format of 6 files. After choosing which file to play back, you can pause playback, skip to the beginning of the current file, skip to the beginning of the next file, or fast forward and rewind through a file. You can also repeat the current file or repeat all files.
Editing Files: Moving image files can be downloaded to a PC via the supplied USB cable. These files can be edited using the supplied SD-MovieStage Ver. 2.0 software.
Display Sizes: During moving image playback, you can choose a Full or Normal display size. A "full" display uses the entire screen (1-5/8" x 1-1/4"), while a "normal" display is approximately 1" x 3/4".
Recording Capabilities: The SV-AV30 can record voice data as well as high-quality music files recorded onto the SD Memory Card. Voice data is recorded to the memory card through the built-in microphone (monaural). Music files are recorded to the Memory Card via the USB cable, using the supplied SD-Jukebox Ver. 3.0 special software. Only the MPEG2-AAC and MP3 data recorded using SD-Jukebox Ver. 3.0 are compatible with this unit. WMA files are not compatible.
Voice Recording/Playback: You can make digitally recorded voice files onto the SD Memory Card using G.726 compression. Once recorded, the voice files are displayed in the form of a list. During playback, you can pause the playback, skip to the beginning of the current file, skip to the beginning of the next file, or search fast forward or fast backward through a file (at 10x normal speed). While the Voice files are being recorded and played back, the LCD monitor goes dark, reappearing after the file is completed. The Voice file capacity of various SD Memory Cards is as follows:
|Card Size||Recording Capacity|
Music File Playback: You can listen to all of your favorite MP3 and AAC files by uploading them to the included SD Memory Card from your PC using the supplied SD-Jukebox Ver. 3.0. The player features a stereo headphone mini-jack output so you can listen to the music using the supplied headphones. The Music File capacity of the supplied 64MB SD Memory Card is as follows:
Recording Time |
|128 kbps (High Fidelity)||about 67 minutes|
|96 kbps (Standard)||about 89 minutes|
|64 kbps (Long Play)||about 134 minutes|
EQ: You can change the sound of the music by selecting one of the EQ presets. You can select S-XBS to add punchy bass or TRAIN for pleasant sound that won't disturb others.
Supplied Software: The SV-AV30 comes with CD-ROM software for Windows featuring SD-MovieStage Ver. 2.0, SD-Jukebox Ver. 3.0, and a USB Driver to allow the unit to be used on a personal computer.
Features of SD-MovieStage Ver. 2.0:
- MPEG4 moving pictures (ASF-format files) and still pictures (JPEG pictures) recorded on the SD Multi-AV Device are displayed in thumbnail form and can be easily played back on a personal computer.
- MPEG4 moving pictures can be cut-edited.
- Pictures recorded on other DV devices can be converted into those for the SD Multi-AV Device.
- E-mails with moving pictures attached can be easily sent.
System Requirements for SD-MovieStage Ver. 2.0:
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98SE, Windows Me, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Home Edition/Professional
- CPU: Intel Celeron 366 MHz or higher
- Hard Disc Space: 350 MB or more (When acquiring DV moving images: 240MB/min)
- RAM: 128MB or more (Windows 98SE, Me), 256MB or more (Windows 2000, XP)
- Display: High color (16 bit) or more with a resolution of 800 x 600 pixels or more
- Drive: CD ROM Drive
- Interface: USB terminal
- Others: Pointing device such as a mouse or equivalent to a mouse. The following software except for the above environment motions are installed: Windows Media Player 6.4 or later, Internet Explorer 5.01 or later, DirectX 8.1 or later
- Note: As an IEEE 1394 terminal (i-Link, Firewire) is not provided on the SV-AV30, transfer or editing of pictures using the IEEE 1394 terminal is not supported.
Features of SD-Jukebox Ver. 3.0:
- Records high quality music onto an SD Memory Card that can be played back on the SD Multi-AV Device.
- Allows playlists to be created containing your favorite tracks. (If a playlist is selected, only the tracks in the playlist are played back.)
- Allows a still picture to be associated with the music data.
System Requirements for SD-Jukebox Ver. 3.0:
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98SE, Windows Me, Windows 2000 Professional (Operation on Windows 2000 SP1 or earlier is not guaranteed), Windows XP Home Edition/Professional
- CPU: Intel Pentium II 333 MHz or higher (Windows 98SE, Me), Intel Pentium III 500 MHz or higher (Windows 2000/XP)
- Hard Disc Space: 60 MB or more
- RAM: 64 MB or more (Windows 98SE, Me), 128 MB or more (Windows 2000/XP)
- Display: High color (16 bit) or more with a resolution of 800 x 600 pixels or more
- Sound: Compatible with the Creative Sound Blaster 16 and speakers
- Drive: CD ROM Drive (Must support digital recording. CD-ROM drive connected through IEEE 1394 or USB may not allow accurate recording.)
- Interface: USB terminal
- Others: Pointing device such as a mouse or equivalent to a mouse. The following software except for the above environment motions are installed: Internet Explorer 5.01 or later, DirectX 8.1 or later. Connection to Internet, if CDDB functions are used.
Warranty Information: The warranty terms vary with individual parts included with this unit. The warranty for each part is as follows:
- SD Multi AV Device (except items below): 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- CMOS Camera Assembly: 6 months parts, 90 days labor
- Rechargeable Battery, SD Memory Card, AC Adapter: 90 days parts only
- Width: 2.444"
- Height: 1.038" (LCD Monitor closed), 3.171" (LCD Monitor open)
- Depth: 3.009"
- Weight (without battery and Memory Card): Approx. 3.35 ounces
- Weight (with battery and Memory Card): Approx. 4.3 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.