This sub sounds amazing if you don't install it as JL Audio recommends.
JL Audio designed this as a front-facing sub. It sounds fine in this configuration: very punchy, decently deep base. But if you want it to truly perform, face it downward. This gives a MUCH deeper sound. You'll notice an immediate difference.
The only problem with this is that the edges of the box give roughly 1/4" of clearance from the speakers to the floor, which could cause damage to the speaker as it travels. I spoke with JL about installing "feet" onto the sub, and they said it was a good idea to avoid damage by facing it downward. $5 in parts and about a half-hour to install. I used four rubber feet intended for the legs of a folding chair, four 3/4" PVC pipe caps, and four #10 1/2" wood screws. Drilled a hole through the caps, ran the screw into the hole, and screwed the caps to each corner of the sub, 1" from each side. Then popped the rubber feet onto the caps and I was done - I now had an extra inch to inch and a half of clearance to the floor - plenty of room to travel, and maybe even enough for the grilles that JL recommended. (Speaking of which, Crutchfield lists wrong grille!) If you mod your sub as I did, stay at the corners and you shouldn't hit any wires. Remove woofers (allen wrench needed) to be sure - I did.
If you don't feel like going to the trouble, you can still face it downward - it just might not last as long. Great sub though - fast, deep, and loud.
Pros: - Fast response
- Deep sound
- Nice and punchy, not too boomy
- Easy install if you don't modify it: insert wires and place it where you want. Done!
- Reasonably attractive in the trunk/hatch area
- Flat profile, rather than angled - easy to set things on
Cons: - Performs better when facing downward, but JL didn't leave enough clearance to do so safely - modification is required.
- Very large if you need trunk space, lack of angled back means some space is lost behind it when placed behind an angled seat.
- Crutchfield is recommending the wrong grilles - use SGRU-10, NOT SGR-10W3v3/W1v2, according to JL Audio.
Rated "Ease of Use" with 3 stars instead of 5 due to modifications necessary to get the best sound out of the sub.